TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #301
Ilene

Fios Plano Tx
Glad it's not just me. I was recording Idol in HD and 45 minutes into the show began watching. OMG! Pixelation/audio non existent. I went to the cableCARD screens and noticed that both cards were Missing_Program_Rekey etc. Switched over to non-HD Idol and watched the rest of the show.

I received 8.1 last night, which causes the S3 to restart. Went back to the cableCARD screens and card #1 conditional access screen looks great, for card #2. HD-Locals work on card#1, but pixelates on card#2.

I have had recurrent problems with card slot #2. Not sure if this coincides with the 2 update packages.
I have called TiVo about this many times, but because either a new card clears it up, or something does, I cannot get TiVo to replace my unit. He said/she said. I am well out of my 30 days/90 days so I think I am stuck.

I am going to ask Verizon to rehit card#2 to see if it will enable and clear it up. If it doesn't, then I might need to talk to you, TexasAg, about OTA and how it works in conjunction with Fios.
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #302
globalreset

We should all have a meetup in plano! This is a pretty aggravating problem.

Ilene, can you explain what you mean about the conditional access screen looking great? I've been checking all those screens under the cablecard configuration menu and they don't have much meaning for me. Also, I don't know how I can tell for certain if it's one card or the other (both seem wonky to me as I switched between tuners while watching live HD locals), but I did notice that when I use the signal strength menu option, I do see an occasional message: "Lost signal on Tuner Two" (or something similar)... It never said Tuner One.

I got 8.1 last night as well, after I spent a couple of hours trying to debug the issue. I was really hoping 8.1 would solve all my problems... But I saw no change in the pixelization behavior.

When I bought my house, I took down an OTA antenna because I was never going to use it... Looks like I might need to put it back up. I hate giving up though... It's depressing.
globalreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #303
globalreset

Of course I see the problem consistently for all hours of the night last night and first thing in the morning before work... but when I get home from work, it's cleared up.

We're at Verizon and TiVo's mercy on this one. Must really look into the OTA option this weekend.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #304
PlanoHD

I have a TIVO S3 and Verizon FIOS in Plano, TX. My cablecards have been working fine since November 2006 with occasional pixelation that always cleared up on its own but it was not a big deal.

The pixelation became a constant problem this week on Monday, 2/19 or Tuesday, 2/20 on my local HD channels only (801 -806). I called Verizon several times during the week and the standard thing for them to do was to reset the cablecards which seemed to work once but not the following times that I called. They eventually decided that a technican should come out to the house.

The Verizon technicans came by today (Saturday, 2/24) and spent a few hours trying to find the problem. They replaced splitters and cables, rebooted the ONT, and tested signal strengths. They also replaced one of the cablecards (since they only had one with them) but the pixelation continued. They eventually gave up and said that it must be the TIVO.

I bought the Best Buy extended warranty and was able to exchange it for a new one tonight. I got it all setup but the pixelation problem still exists with the new TIVO S3!! It must be Verizon FIOS or the cablecards but I don't know where to go from here....

Last edited by PlanoHD : 02-24-2007 at 11:54 PM.
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #305
jhimmel

Contact TiVo and let them know.
They may not be able to help you, but they might add it to the list of issues that need looking into. What's strange is that it worked at one time. Something must have changed.

I have FiOS in the NY area, and do not have that problem - luckily.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #306
jbowden

I live in Plano and my PQ is fine. Once in a while (rare) I will take a hit of pixalation but that is it. I suggest you call Tivo and see it they can offer any assistance.
jbowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #307
acvthree

I live in Carrollton and haven't seen the pixelization you are discussing, however, I get my locals over the air via antenna.

Have you tried an antenna input for your locals? I know that may not be available to you, but I just thought I would mention it.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #308
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoHD
...The pixelation became a constant problem ...
Just curious. If you hit pause for 30 seconds or back up about 30 seconds, does the picture look alright? I have a station (comcast analog) that I can not watch at all live but is almost fine recording or in the buffer. And someone else here in this forum found the same thing to be true for them.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #309
evlg

I'm in Plano, TX with FIOS and 8.1 didn't fix anything for me. If anything it seems to have gotten worse.

This is the most frustrating issue imaginable. The whole point of S3 TiVo is HD recording, and my HD locals are almost always broken with the pixelation issue.

What am I supposed to do at this point?
evlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #310
PlanoHD

Here are the responses to some of the questions for my last post.

I don't have an HD antenna but I am considering the option. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I tried pausing live tv and then rewinding a few seconds later. The pixelation was recorded also so it doesn't seem to make any difference on my Tivo.

I live in far East Plano. What part of Plano do you live in if you have the local HD pixelation issue?

I tried running a cable from another room to the Tivo H3 in a different room. The pixelation problem still exists. I wanted to rule out that the line in the wall had a problem.

I'm curious if anyone has the local pixelation problem on local HD channels without a Tivo? (i.e. An HD TV with an HD set top box and no Tivo). I can't try this since I only have one HD TV and I'm using the cablecards through the Tivo to tune the HD channels.

I live in far East Plano. What parts of Plano do others live in that have the local HD pixelation issue?
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #311
globalreset

I've got the sporadic (though very bad and consistent when it happens) pixelation and I'm over near 75 and Spring Creek in Plano. Maybe the attenuators are helping and, like TexasAg hinted at, it's just a matter of getting enough attenuation. Right now, my national HD is tuned at 94 and my local HD is tuned at 92. Without attenuators (and during a no-pixelation time) all channels are pegged at 100 for signal strength. During pixelation, regardless of the attenuators, my signal strength bounces from the mid-70's to upper-80's.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #312
Ilene

I am at Parker and Alma in Plano with Verizon Fios. I too have reported in this thread my challenges with pixelation on HD locals via CableCARDS. I have terminators capping anything that was "exposed".
We all had high hopes for 8.1 and unfortunately it has not only provided no relief, so far I can say it seems to be worse. I have totally given up watching or recording anything on HD Locals (801, 802, 803, 804 - 809). This problem does not seem to affect channels 810 and above. It's frustrating because like the previous poster said, we bought S3s so that we could watch HD. Before I got 8.1, pixelation was sporadically occurring, since 8.1 it hasn't gone away.
TexasAg has recommended trying OTA for locals, but in doing the research, it appears that I will not be able to get FOX in HD. I am not sure that I can set up Season Passes for OTA either.
So for now, I record in SD. :-(
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #313
JohnBrowning

I'm near Legacy and Alma. I get almost continuous pixelation on Discovery HD. I get it occasionally on the broadcast HD channels. I saw a few instances late in the NASCAR race on Sunday. Fox seems to be the worst of the broadcast channels for me. I have seen a FEW instances over the past few months of pixelation across all of the broadcast channels, but, not a lot. Was anybody watching the broadcast channels on Saturday afternoon during the high winds? I wonder if the VZ antennas are just being blown off their aimpoints. I was too busy propping my fence back up on Saturday to look at TV!!

I'm now curious to see if the Discovery HD pixelation follows the channel assignment or the programming when the channel re-jiggering occurs on 3/6.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #314
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
I am at Parker and Alma in Plano with Verizon Fios. I too have reported in this thread my challenges with pixelation on HD locals via CableCARDS. I have terminators capping anything that was "exposed".
We all had high hopes for 8.1 and unfortunately it has not only provided no relief, so far I can say it seems to be worse. I have totally given up watching or recording anything on HD Locals (801, 802, 803, 804 - 809). This problem does not seem to affect channels 810 and above. It's frustrating because like the previous poster said, we bought S3s so that we could watch HD. Before I got 8.1, pixelation was sporadically occurring, since 8.1 it hasn't gone away.
TexasAg has recommended trying OTA for locals, but in doing the research, it appears that I will not be able to get FOX in HD. I am not sure that I can set up Season Passes for OTA either.
So for now, I record in SD. :-(
Ilene, you are not too far from me in Plano, and I can get Fox just fine. NBC and ABC have the lowest signal strength, but the S3 still handles signal strengths as low as high 60s just fine. You can also do season passes for OTA. But, you'd need to rerun guided setup to tell the S3 that you use both cable and OTA antenna, and you'd need to redo your season passes to the OTA stations (there isn't a way to transfer a season pass from one station to another).
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #315
kas25

I am in NJ and would like to get the S3 but it sounds like I may have just as many issues as the Motorola 6416? Is this fair to say or are these obscure channels that are having issues?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #316
Greeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25
I am in NJ and would like to get the S3 but it sounds like I may have just as many issues as the Motorola 6416? Is this fair to say or are these obscure channels that are having issues?
I'm in Piscataway NJ and have never had pixelation problems with the S3 on FIOS. (freehold) The only problem I have is the common fastforward skipping problem, which is currently being looked at by a TIVO engineer.
Greeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #317
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeble
I'm in Piscataway NJ and have never had pixelation problems with the S3 on FIOS. (freehold) The only problem I have is the common fastforward skipping problem, which is currently being looked at by a TIVO engineer.
Thanks. What about having no audio on certain channels. How long does it take to get cablecards from Verizon and can I send the S3 back within 30 days?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #318
Greeble

Quote:
Thanks. What about having no audio on certain channels.
Never had any audio issues other than the guide skip that has been fixed in 8.1. However I don't have a fancy audio setup, I just use stereo.
Quote:
How long does it take to get cablecards from Verizon
I got the cards when I had FIOS installed so I don't know, but since card installation is a lot quicker than a new FIOS installation I imagine it would be pretty quick.
Quote:
can I send the S3 back within 30 days?
I dunno, maybe someone else can answer that one for you.
Greeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #319
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

As of today (if not earlier), CNN Headline News (now on 81) is working for me. (And I see in the diagnostics that its video and PCR pids now match.) My only remaining works-on-Fios-STB-but-not-on-the-S3 channel is 313, GolTV, which has audio but no picture.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #320
JonInVA
1080 or bust

No "National HD" channels in Ashburn, VA

Greetings all,

FIOS TV customer since November '06, just purchased my S3 and had my CableCARD install this afternoon. The install seems to have gone well save for one glitch: I'm receiving HD locals (801-808) but not HD nationals (825 and above). Black screen and no audio on these channels (TNT, ESPN, etc).

Has anybody else had this problem? The two (two!) Verizon installers that came out seemed to know their stuff, and claimed to have done successful S3 CableCARD installs before. They were absolutely stumped by this problem, and after several attempted re-activations they suggested I call the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center tech support line and request to have HD removed from my account, and added back.

I called the FSC and they were just as perplexed, but they said they'd try it. FSC told me it would take a while (they'd have to coordinate with another group, apparently), so they are going to call me back when they're done.

Thoughts? Words of encouragement? Predictions of doom and gloom?

Oh, and FWIW one HD local I have broadcasting HD content at the moment (my local PBS affiliate) looks pixellated. I'll worry about that problem when I can see all of my HD channels.
JonInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #321
TexasAg

JonInVA, call Verizion and tell them that you are not getting these channels. Chances are, the techs or the office folks forgot to authorize the cards to get those channels. They can do it remotely, and it should work.

I had the same problem on my install.

Also, my local HD channels pixelate on one tuner and not the other (but the tuner that pixelates switches). It's looks like a problem mainly with Fios users. If you've got an antenna (I just use a stripped coax cable), you won't have to worry.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #322
JonInVA
1080 or bust

Thanks TexasAg - call placed, problem described, ticket opened, and they're going to get back to me today. I'll give them a few hours and then if they haven't called back, I will. I'll post again when I've got something to report.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #323
ashu
User title defunct

When (If?) I get FiOS here in Ashburn myself, I plan to get a 6412 or plain-jane HD box from them too, in addition to the 2 CableCards, at least temporarily, so I can diagnose such issues and check whether it's an account authorization issue, or something CableCard/S3 related.

Jon, would you please PM me a more specific location/intersection/address (whatever you're comfortable with) please? I'm trying to figure out VZ's cryptic/pseudo-random FiOS rollout in Loudoun county

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #324
JonInVA
1080 or bust

After two phone calls, the Fiber Solutions Center (aka FIOS tech support, 1-888-553-1555) confirmed what the field installer had suspected... "HD content" was somehow not included on the order for my two new CableCARDs - despite the fact that I've had it for 3 months on the Moto 6416 that my S3 is replacing. It was therefore not provisioned for the cards, explaining my missing HD National channels.

Unfortunately, the FSC guys couldn't reach any Encore Video reps to enable HD content for the two cards. I found it a bit surprising that the FSC couldn't make the change themselves, but the FSC rep explained that tech support personnel are not allowed access to the provisioning systems. I suspect Sarbanes-Oxley is at work there, given experiences I've had at my own job, so I could relate.

Anyway, they've noted everything in my support ticket and they want me to call back tomorrow so that they can try again to reach an Encore Video rep. The FSC reps were very apologetic and even frustrated themselves about not being able to fix the problem - but I understand that these things happen. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be able to report success.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #325
Infohiker

Series 3 and Verizon Cable Cards

I have series 3 and I am using 2 Verizon Cable cards. The installation was a lot more difficult than the original install with the VZ HDDVR . The techs were not familiar with the S3, and dispatch did not have the order set up correctly.
If you are going to order cable cards, be really specific with the dispatch. Our dispatcher decided that all we were doing was removing the DVR and replacing with a regular VZ STB.
Our techs came out, and had cable cards with them. However, VZ allows only one change to a work order a visit. 2 cable cards = 2 changes, so there was a lot of discussion between tech and HQ about this. Long story short, they did it and got it running ok.
OK means that we have some pixilization that we did not have before. Techs spent hours trying to rewire, etc. Eventually they have decided that it is a problem on the lines (one not preexisting when we were using the propietary DVR) and so they are doing another visti tommorow.
Away from the mildly annoying pixelization (on only a few channels), everything is running fine. Seems hard to beleive, but the resolution seems even better than it was with the VZ HDDVR. which was better than the old DTV HD. So right now, I am thinking that if they fix the pixelization issues, I am going to have the best possible setup I have ever seen. I cannot think of anything else I can do to improve the setup I have. Scary. I have been chasing TV nirvana for years, and I think I am almost there.
Now if only the networks would only provide quality programming.
Infohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #326
JonInVA
1080 or bust

The saga continues. I called FSC back shortly after noon today, and as I described the situation to the rep I got he quickly came to the conclusion that this was "definitely" a billing problem. He didn't even open up the support ticket that I told him had all of the information in it from last night. He just blindly transfered me to Encore Center, and the woman I got there started questioning whether or not it was even possible to receive HD channels on CableCARDs. No lie.

She finally called FSC back, had somebody take a look at my support ticket, and after about 20 minutes on hold while they discussed the problem she tells me:

"Well sir, it seems that the installer was correct. You've had HD Content all along, it was on the order for your CableCARDS, but FSC is showing that it was never actually enabled on the cards. Everything looks fine in the billing system - FSC had to actually run diagnostics on your cards to confirm that the appropriate code had not been activated. HD Content must have dropped off of your order. I apologize for the confusion and the inconvenience."

Which matched the gist of what they were telling me last night. Now here's the real kicker... nobody in the office this weekend seems to be able to fix this. Encore took a contact number from me and said that somebody would be able to correct the issue within the next 24-48 hours. They'd call me back when it's fixed.

I'm getting the impression that FSC and Encore had to escalate my ticket, and the Tier Two video guys don't have to work weekends.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #327
Ron Tobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infohiker
I have series 3 and I am using 2 Verizon Cable cards. The installation was a lot more difficult than the original install with the VZ HDDVR . The techs were not familiar with the S3, and dispatch did not have the order set up correctly.
If you are going to order cable cards, be really specific with the dispatch. Our dispatcher decided that all we were doing was removing the DVR and replacing with a regular VZ STB.
Our techs came out, and had cable cards with them. However, VZ allows only one change to a work order a visit. 2 cable cards = 2 changes, so there was a lot of discussion between tech and HQ about this. Long story short, they did it and got it running ok.
OK means that we have some pixilization that we did not have before. Techs spent hours trying to rewire, etc. Eventually they have decided that it is a problem on the lines (one not preexisting when we were using the propietary DVR) and so they are doing another visti tommorow.
Away from the mildly annoying pixelization (on only a few channels), everything is running fine. Seems hard to beleive, but the resolution seems even better than it was with the VZ HDDVR. which was better than the old DTV HD. So right now, I am thinking that if they fix the pixelization issues, I am going to have the best possible setup I have ever seen. I cannot think of anything else I can do to improve the setup I have. Scary. I have been chasing TV nirvana for years, and I think I am almost there.
Now if only the networks would only provide quality programming.
I recently got 2 VZ cable cards for my S3. I found that I was getting sporadic pixelization that wasn't seen on my other HD Verizon box. While Verizon doesn't officially support the Tivo, their tech support suggested that I attenuate the signal, which was reading 100 on the Tivo cable strength meter. I inserted a 6db attenuator, which brought it down to 90, and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #328
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInVA
"HD content" was somehow not included on the order for my two new CableCARDs
The crazy thing about all this is that Verizon doesn't charge separately for HD. So why is it a separate item in their provisioning?

Even Verizon's standard-def set-top-box can tune in the HD channels and play the audio.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #329
ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
The crazy thing about all this is that Verizon doesn't charge separately for HD. So why is it a separate item in their provisioning?

Even Verizon's standard-def set-top-box can tune in the HD channels and play the audio.
I had the same problem when my FIOS TV was 1st installed with the Verizon Motorola box. They only enabled 1/2 of my HD stations. Verizon has amazing picture qualiy vs. DTV, but dealing with their people is awful.
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #330
ATB

Quote:
How long does it take to get cablecards from Verizon?
These days in NJ, it seems to take 2-4 weeks to get an apt for anything, including getting a CC install. That is if the installer even bothers to show up when they are supposed to. Everything is working for me now, but I was close to giving up on these jokers after all the time I spend with clueless people on the phone. Their national folks seem okay, but once you have to be transfered to their NJ office (when it is open) everything goes bad. Must be staffed by a bunch of monkies.
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote