Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #2281
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
[/php]
I hope you are not including me in that broad stroke.
I did not intend to include you at all. Those who do apologize for Comcast's policies are easy to spot, and you certainly are not one of them.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #2282
rcr2
It's you, not me.

I've been busy since last week when my CableCards got installed, thought I'd just update everyone on my experience with Comcast.

After no love over 4 weeks of telephone calls and emails, I sent a letter to the management staff at Comcast detailing my problems with the CableCards and a side issue with having to rent a telephony modem (I have the same exact model, just not in the Comcast inventory).

My install went smoother than I expected. No screens with card errors on them, but some problems getting the cards authorized and registered at the head office. The techs were good - no real experience with TiVo, but knew their job well and helped with some general signal issues while we waited around.

I've also gotten a call from corporate offices following up on the install and my rental issue. I haven't seen a bill yet, so I'm waiting on that. Also, I'm still on the old pricing plan, and I'm a bit worried about calling to switch to the new 'triple play' pricing packages they have.

My only issue has been the cards 'dropping out' (as on this thread ). It's very random.

I do plan on writing a follow-up letter to those in management I sent the first letter to, as it isn't fair to them for me to raise hell and then not follow up when something has actually been done, even if it hasn't been the best experience to date, I think it's better than many of the horror stories I read about on here.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #2283
eingybear

Thanks to all the people who spoke about the $5 HD charge in the SF Bay Area. I'll keep an eye out for it on my cable bill and make sure that it's either not on there or that they will remove it.

My Oakland, CA truck roll had been scheduled for between 11am and 1pm on Saturday. At 12:57pm, I finally became convinced they were not coming and called up the 1-800-COMCAST number to try to get someone live on the line to ask them if they were late or were going to reschedule. As the phone options came up, I looked out the window and there was the guy, on the phone, about to leave! I quickly ran out and said I was home (he must have knocked on the downstairs door and I hadn't heard him), to please come in.

He was in the house for about 20 minutes, tops. He knew exactly what he was doing, putting in one card then calling it in, checking the channels, then putting in the next, etc. The only reasons it took more than 5 minutes are that he was put on hold when he called the office to tell them to register the card serial numbers (about 10 minutes total) and that he waited until the cards started to receive the channel information (took about 2-4 minutes with each card) before going on to the next step.

One of the interesting things is that he seemed to have about 4 cards with him (he was probably going to other houses to set up after mine), so in theory, if one of my cards was bad, he seemed ready to try other cards in his possession.

Over all, a very good experience. I've checked all the channels I'm interested in, and they seem to work fine so far. I'll keep an eye out to see if I get the channels dropping out or not.

This move should reduce my cable bill from $62 to about $50. I had previously called to get a 6 month reduction from $81 to $62, because all our house wants is the network channels, The Food Network, BBCA, G4, and the Fox Soccer Network, but the packages didn't really suit us, so they made us keep the Digital Classic + Premier package but gave us a discount.
eingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #2284
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
And in Miami, you can add $5.00 per cable card for HD service, for a total of $11.95 per card. Can Nashville top that? I'm paying $11.95 for each of 5 of my cable cards, except for one which I don't have to pay the $6.95 as it's "free" with my digital service. They say this is the proper charge for the "services" I am receiving, but their rental fee for their own DVR that also provides dual-tuner HD capability, for less than the charge for 2 cable cards, despite the obvious expense of supporting the box, exposes that claim for what it is.

The FCC's rulemaking has been very slow, but starting in July, settop boxes must be manufactured to use cable cards. I doubt Comcast will be required to ditch their old equipment, and expect them to drag out the effects of the new rule for as long as possible, and to use the intervening time to continue to fight the rule and come up with new strategies to defeat its purpose.

This is the fight for the breakup of AT&T all over again, and for the same reasons. Customers will get gouged so long as monopolies are able to corner the technology and charge for the equipment to access it as they see fit. The difference in the price for phone equipment and service since the 70s is astonishing, and it would not have happened if AT&T remained in control of it all.

We've had people on this forum try to defend Comcast's policies, but I suspect they were all Comcast employees or shareholders. I think Comcast's policies are transparently anti-consumer and pro-monopoly, and so long as that is allowed by the FCC, you cannot expect them to act in any other way.
Nope, the extra $5 charge has us beat. At least the network HD channels are still in the clear here, including INHD. And what's really aggravating about Cablecard in Nashville is that they are free if you DON'T choose digital cable. Which means that they will give them to you only when you don't really need them. Without digital cable, every other channel is either analog or QAM in the clear. Does that beat all?

Oh yeah....the Miami HD surcharge. Damn that sucks.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #2285
bsjd00

Do you need 2 coax inputs for 2 cablecards? In other words, will I need to split my cable before the Tivo, or is 1 coax in enough for both cablecards?

Thanks for any replies...
bsjd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #2286
azitnay

No, it's a single coax input into the TiVo.

There is, however, a separate coax input designed to come from an antenna.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #2287
bsjd00

Thanks for the quick reply!

One other quick question - can you order PPV over the phone with Comcast? Or do you absolutely need a separate cable box in addition to the 2 cablecards? Oh, and is the answer the same for on-demand movies?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #2288
azitnay

People's mileage seems to vary... There was a poll posted on the subject:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=332951

It would seem from the poll that the majority of people can't use their S3 to record PPV at all, but some can order (through either phone or the cable company's box, obviously not the S3) and then record on the S3.

Personally, I've never looked into my options, and have no plans to.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #2289
bsjd00

Thanks, will take a look at the link. BTW, I'm not interested in recording, just getting the PPV broadcast.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #2290
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
Thanks for the quick reply!

One other quick question - can you order PPV over the phone with Comcast? Or do you absolutely need a separate cable box in addition to the 2 cablecards? Oh, and is the answer the same for on-demand movies?
Comcast (of course) says that YES you have to have one of their boxes for PPV and for Ondemand. However. I also know you can call up and get the PPV to show on "all boxes" including the S3's.

I personally have the Comcast box and watch my events on the S3 TIVo. It requires a call to Comcast to see it on the TiVo boxes. Otherwise if you order from the Comcast box, it will only show on the Comcast box and not the TiVo boxes... Not sure if I could still call up and ge the PPV events without the Comcast box (havent' tried it) but Comcast says you can't. Not sure I believe them though...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #2291
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
In the San Francisco Bay Area, the "$5 HD fee" is for the HD set top box rental only. There is no such thing as "HD service fee".
Never doubt Comcast's ability to tack on random fees

Despite the rate card Comcast gave me on the December bill that matches what C3 said, Comcast found a way to add "HDTV Additional Service" fee of $5.

On my rate card there is no such entry. There is only "HDTV Equipment Fee" of $5. It is clearly for equipment rental because it is listed under the "Equipment" section along with converter boxes and CableCARDs.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #2292
MikeCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran Horn
Do you have cards? What's your issue? I can pass along my Chicago-area customer contact who knows exactly what to do.
I have two S3s, one works fine. The other stopped showing premium channels on one cable card, but continued to work on the other. I called Comcast service hoping to get them to zap my cards (I have two in each set) but as I said, all they will do is send out a cable guy. They are never familiar with what to do, but, in the past, I've sometimes been able to get referred to Tech Support in Tinley Park and someone there, who knows exactly what to do, does it. (Usually takes over a week before they call back, but at least they solve problems.) Last night I noticed the HDMI setting on that Tivo showed HDCP not enabled (only on that set), which I assume is the source of the problem, and both cable cards started blocking the premium channels. I have no idea why one card worked and on didn't if the HDCP was not enabled. Any ideas? I have no idea how the HDCP became disabled, or how to enable it.

If you can get any input from your contact it would be greatly appreciated.
MikeCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #2293
JaxDomino

Ever since I upgraded my Tivo S3 to 8.1, I have been getting a strange CC error that requires that I press Clear on my remote. I called Tivo and they said it had something to do with a setting on my Tivo that Comact controlled. I called Comcast in Jacksonville and they said that they knew of the issue and that their engineers were working on it for over a week. Which would be about the same time I have had the 8.1 update. So I doubt it is related to the 8.1 update. So the tech was really stand-offish. At first not letting me say anything. He told me that there was nothing Comcast could do, and since it was a CableCard issue, not tech could come out and he also couldn't make the change to my account to fix the problem that Tivo told me about. I was pissed. I asked him, well then give me a service credit since I can't see any of my premium channels. He did make the adjustment and was very nice after that. WEIRD!!! So until they "fix" the "problem", I can't record any shows on HBOHD or Encore! Thanks God for OnDemand in the Bedroom.
JaxDomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #2294
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDomino
Ever since I upgraded my Tivo S3 to 8.1, I have been getting a strange CC error that requires that I press Clear on my remote. I called Tivo and they said it had something to do with a setting on my Tivo that Comact controlled. I called Comcast in Jacksonville and they said that they knew of the issue and that their engineers were working on it for over a week. Which would be about the same time I have had the 8.1 update. So I doubt it is related to the 8.1 update. So the tech was really stand-offish. At first not letting me say anything. He told me that there was nothing Comcast could do, and since it was a CableCard issue, not tech could come out and he also couldn't make the change to my account to fix the problem that Tivo told me about. I was pissed. I asked him, well then give me a service credit since I can't see any of my premium channels. He did make the adjustment and was very nice after that. WEIRD!!! So until they "fix" the "problem", I can't record any shows on HBOHD or Encore! Thanks God for OnDemand in the Bedroom.
I'm assuming you're talking about the pairing screen popping up when you tune to a copy protected channel, then Tivo is correct. It's possible that Comcast just turned copy protection on, but hasn't properly validated the host/cablecard pairing information in their system. I think I read a post in here that Comcast in Denver just did this, so seems like comcast is turning on copy protection throughout the country.

To check, tune to the problem channel, and then look at either the cablecard screen or diagnostics screen, and see what the CCI value is. If it's not zero, then the channel has some sort of copy protection on it.

Next, you need to see if the card has been properly validated. On motorola cards, this is in the conditional access screen. There's a line that says "Host Validation" if it doesn't say "Valid" then that's the problem. I think SA Cards say "CP Auth received" for proper validation. If a card don't show the appropriate thing, the card will never show copy protected channels. Comcast needs to properly enter the host id, card id, and for motorola, data number. And, then send the right message to the card.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #2295
AaRdVarK3

Just had my FIFTH tech come out. Comcast managed to not mess up like they did with techs 2-4, and they sent him with two new cablecards. Same problem. They blamed the TiVo, and this time I was prepared and had a brand new Series3 that we should try it on. We did that, and we had the same problem. Now to get in touch with the lead tech again and let him know everything we tried.

I'm severely frustrated, but determined to get this damn thing working.
AaRdVarK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #2296
Mike Malter
Computer Mutt

You may have already done this, but don't put both cards in at the same time. Put the first card in and configure it, then put the second card in and configure it.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike Malter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2297
rcr2
It's you, not me.

My SA card in slot 2 keeps getting set to CP Failure. After a reboot, it reverts to CP Auth Received for a period of time. Then tends to fail within a day or so.

Anyone have experience with this and how responsive Comcast has been to fix it? Is it something that Comcast can fix at the head end, or do they need to send a new card?
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #2298
eingybear

I just got my first bill after swapping the HDDVR for the CCs. I am no longer getting charged for an additional outlet (we still have a set top box for the series 2 in a different room), HD package, or dvr rental fee or whatever the hell it was. I see only a $1.50 charge now, presumably for the second CC, but it's specifically listed out as a TiVo usage charge.

Weird that they would categorize it so specifically, but I guess it helps for them to gauge how many people are using TiVo rather than their own DVRs.

There was a truck roll fee, but they waived it in the same bill, so there is a charge then an immediate credit, resulting in $0 for me.
eingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #2299
mooneydriver

CableCard installation experience in Palo Alto, CA: Round 2

The tech (plus an apprentice) came today and installed the CableCards. It was uneventful and took about 40 minutes (most of which were spent waiting for the Comcast dispatcher to answer the phone and send the hit to the cards). All channels come through fine on either card -- count me as another happy Comcast CableCard customer (for now, at least).
mooneydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #2300
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
My SA card in slot 2 keeps getting set to CP Failure. After a reboot, it reverts to CP Auth Received for a period of time. Then tends to fail within a day or so.

Anyone have experience with this and how responsive Comcast has been to fix it? Is it something that Comcast can fix at the head end, or do they need to send a new card?
Is it definitely just the one in slot 2? Some people are having a problem exactly like this that TiVo is looking into, although as far as I know it would affect both cards.

Also, I have a channel that causes this problem every time I tune to it. I was getting things on that channel as suggestions, causing the CableCARD to fail quite often. If that's the problem, I think it is a problem at the headend, although I haven't been able to get Comcast to fix mine yet.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #2301
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver
The tech (plus an apprentice) came today and installed the CableCards. It was uneventful and took about 40 minutes (most of which were spent waiting for the Comcast dispatcher to answer the phone and send the hit to the cards). All channels come through fine on either card -- count me as another happy Comcast CableCard customer (for now, at least).
did you have to pay for installation?

I actually asked two questions via comcast's email support page from their web page today and got quick answers.. (Both were things that I think should've been in the FAQ but weren't.)

I asked if it would really be only $1.50 more for two cablecards, and they said yes plus installation charge. So I'm hoping they really won't charge for installation.. yes I know I should really call them up, but it's probably way too late to do it for my already-scheduled Monday vacation so I'll call in a few weeks.. But if I have to pay for installation I really may not do it..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #2302
mooneydriver

The installation was supposed to be free of charge. The call center had told me that I can do a self-install by picking up cards from the local Comcast office, and the local office waived the install charge when they heard that the call center gave me wrong information and I had to drive all the way there for nothing. Of course, we'll see what shows up in the monthly bill! The price should be $1.50 for the CableCards (and no second outlet charge even thought I still hold on to the Motorola DVR).

(also, even if you have to pay for installation, it should be $17 or something -- not a big deal considering you paid 50 times more for the Tivo!)
mooneydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #2303
broken TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDomino

Did you get this resolved? I am having this exact problem in Orang Park.
broken TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #2304
karmamule

Let's see what happens! (Boston)

I finally made the leap and ordered my Series 3, and it should be arriving Monday. After wading through about half of the posts in this thread I was interested to see what Comcast would say to me. (FYI, I live in Waltham MA, just outside of Boston).

I gave them a call and I first asked if I could pick up and install myself, or was a visit necessary. She put me on hold to find out, and said a visit was required.

She then said the cards would be $2.75/mo each. I mentioned the Comcast FAQ page on pricing, and she then put me on hold again, and after a few minutes came back and said that was 2006 pricing and hadn't been updated yet.

Given that this is replacing a second Moto HD PVR that we're currently paying $17/mo for (we're well beyond any promo period for reduced rates), I can live with that. They set up an appointment for this Tuesday the 6th, and I'll let you all know how it turns out..... Wish me luck!

-Eddie
karmamule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #2305
synch22

does anyone know how it works if i upgrade or downgrade channels in my package. Will the cable cards need to be reinstalled? Say i drop HBO and add Max or something like that?
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #2306
robyn55

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken TiVo
Did you get this resolved? I am having this exact problem in Orang Park.
I live in Ponte Vedra. I have two sets with cablecards - no TIVO. Lost our Encore channels about 10 days ago (or perhaps a little more).

The bottom line is that this is a Comcast problem. It has lost all the Encore stations - as well as some other premium stations (which I don't get) - on its cablecards - not only in the greater Jacksonville area - but in other parts of the country.

About the best you can do is hassle Comcast to get things working again - and demand credit for the service you're not getting. Robyn
robyn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #2307
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
does anyone know how it works if i upgrade or downgrade channels in my package. Will the cable cards need to be reinstalled? Say i drop HBO and add Max or something like that?
It's just like a cablebox. You would need to call in a request like that either way. The only thing you can't do with cableCARDS and TiVo is order Pay Per View (PPV), or watch Video On Demand (VOD) or watch a Switched Digital Video (SDV) channel. In most cases, you can order PPV with a phone call as well.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #2308
broken TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn55
I live in Ponte Vedra. I have two sets with cablecards - no TIVO. Lost our Encore channels about 10 days ago (or perhaps a little more).

The bottom line is that this is a Comcast problem. It has lost all the Encore stations - as well as some other premium stations (which I don't get) - on its cablecards - not only in the greater Jacksonville area - but in other parts of the country.

About the best you can do is hassle Comcast to get things working again - and demand credit for the service you're not getting. Robyn

Thanks for the reply Robyn.
I hope they get it figured out soon.
broken TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #2309
moonie

why do they charge so diff..? i dont get it...
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #2310
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie
why do they charge so diff..? i dont get it...
What I think has happened is a combination of things. First there is regulation. Anytime there is regulation, it seems like there are problems. Then there are the local agreements. Then there there is the Grandfathering of prices when Comcast takes over. It gets to the point where no one can really answer your question. Maybe someone can, but I'd be very surprised if we get the answer here.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote