TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #2221
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
Which makes sense, except I don't have encryption issues on those channels. In my area, it wouldn't surprise me if they just haven't bothered setting it up properly. I moved from one of the most ethnically diverse cities in Massachusetts to some sort or rural whiter-than-white farmland area on the MD/PA border. Sigh. I can't get any decent food around here. No good Lebanese, Italian, Mexican, Japanese or Indian place anywhere nearby. There's a so-so Chinese place, but that's about it. Can't even get pita bread in my grocery store!!

It's not really uncommon for channels that should be encrypted to not be encrypted at times or even most of the time. It might just be that whiel you can tune the channels, your service level stops channel maps or guide info about those channels... I always hate training a new TiVo though -- for some reason they all go through a period where for a few days they record lots of Spanish language suggestions and then eventually I go through and remove every one of those from channels I receive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #2222
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Finally.

The Comcast tech arrived at 9:40am and sat in his truck apparently filling out paperwork for about 4 or 5 minutes. While he was coming in, I explained the history and that this was to have him replace 2 CableCARDs not install 2 more. I showed him where it all was and he proceeded to actually do everything according to the instructions without even looking at the instructions. Then he's on the phone with the tech center and I can tell they're wanting him to do both cards at once from the way he's reacting and what he's saying. But he stood his ground and did one at a time, and everything worked.

He started doing this at 9:47am. Both cards were done and channels were tested at 10:04am.

If you're in Comcast/Monmouth County territory, you can specifically request David/Tech #233 to do your CableCARD install.

Naturally I now enter the waiting period to ensure nothing gets screwed up again, but at least things are promising this time.

Initial install: 1/18
First CableCARD install: 1/22
Internet died: 1/22
Phone died: 1/22
CableCARDs didn't work: 1/22
Date I got fed up trying to get internet and phone fixed and sent fax to Comcast HQ: 1/29 4:30pm
Date internet got fixed: 1/29 just before midnight
Date phone got fixed: 2/5
Date internet stopped working reliably/intermittent high packet loss: 2/16
Date internet got fixed: 2/20
Date CableCARDs got reinstalled/fixed: 2/21

I've been really patient. I really have. It's taken just over one month to get to this point. I'll of course have to sort out billing once I receive my first bill, but at least I now have a contact who's worked with me ever since the fax I sent to Comcast to get things straightened out so I'm not particularly worried about that part.

Now we wait a week or so and then I can cancel DirecTV if everything remains working in the meantime. And then I'll probably get a second Series3 going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #2223
synch22

I am getting my Tivo tomorrow, and Comcast is telling me in Seattle I dont need a truck roll for cable card hookup? Is he correct, I think he is trying to get me to keep the HD DVR... he says i can bring in the hd dvr and pick up the cable cards. They have it figured out in Seattle he claims.

Also I want to try the system out before I attempt to transfer lifetime, I have 7 days correct? Thanks
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #2224
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
I am getting my Tivo tomorrow, and Comcast is telling me in Seattle I dont need a truck roll for cable card hookup? Is he correct, I think he is trying to get me to keep the HD DVR... he says i can bring in the hd dvr and pick up the cable cards. They have it figured out in Seattle he claims.

Also I want to try the system out before I attempt to transfer lifetime, I have 7 days correct? Thanks

Yes you have 7 days to try it out, great if they will do all the cable card numbers over the phone.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #2225
Gregor

Comcast showed up today, on time. The installer spent some time outside checking signal levels.

Unfortunately he sat on hold for nearly 1/2 hour waiting for a rep to setup the first card. Right after he set it up the conditional access system went down and he was unable to give them the 2nd set. HBO was out on the first card, but I got all the other channels. He promised to call in the 2nd set later, and when I got home card #2 was working, but with no HBO.

I'll give it a chance to settle and call in the morning if HBO isn't there it's still working on the set top box, the installer thought it might have been due to the conditional access being down.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #2226
drew00001

Quote:

My understanding is that it all depends on the intelligence and/or ability of the CS when you pickup the cards. I picked up my first two cards from Redmond, WA. Both worked perfectly w/out a roll. Soon thereafter, I had to get new cablecards when I switched accounts. This time, the cablecards did not immediately work, and the phone CS ordered a truck roll. The truck driver told me that it was possible to fix this without a roll.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #2227
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001
My understanding is that it all depends on the intelligence and/or ability of the CS when you pickup the cards. I picked up my first two cards from Redmond, WA. Both worked perfectly w/out a roll. Soon thereafter, I had to get new cablecards when I switched accounts. This time, the cablecards did not immediately work, and the phone CS ordered a truck roll. The truck driver told me that it was possible to fix this without a roll.
It sure is. I had to replace my Tivo under warranty and all the tech did was phone the numbers in. They don't need a tech to read numbers off a screen and repeat them over the phone, but it's their dime. I wasn't being charged for the re-install and I was pretty sure I'd have to pay for it.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #2228
synch22

I tried for 3 cablecards, 1 for TV 2 for the TIVO they said thats a no go. So what if I dont want to use the Tivo interface and use TV can I still do that?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #2229
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I tried for 3 cablecards, 1 for TV 2 for the TIVO they said thats a no go. So what if I dont want to use the Tivo interface and use TV can I still do that?
There should be no reason why they'd not give you all the CableCARDs you need for your equipment -- except maybe just that they're in short supply right now so you may not actually be able to get them, but not for any reason except there's none to be gotten at the time you're asking.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #2230
synch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
There should be no reason why they'd not give you all the CableCARDs you need for your equipment -- except maybe just that they're in short supply right now so you may not actually be able to get them, but not for any reason except there's none to be gotten at the time you're asking.
Yeah I will try later. The CS guy gave me the "Wow how much did the S3 cost you? Our HD DVR does the same thing". I told him I know and please dont mention the price to me, I want TIVO. So he had me scheduled for a rollout and they were bringing a HDDVR. I tried to cancel and have the Tech bring cable cards. He said it was a no go with that time slot. Lol, they are hooking up the HD DVR they want to see if I get swayed. I have to go to comcast and do self install if I do the Tivo because I refuse to wait around on a weekday.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #2231
KevinG

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post on, but I know the Comcast people are in here...

Watched Heroes last night recorded on Monday. There were a few spots where the pixelization and audio dropouts got so bad that it was unwatchable. 8.1 is on the machine now, but wasn't when this was recorded. Anyone else experience the same thing? I'm in S. Jersey (Garden State Comcast).

There is some chance that this also recorded on my SA8300, so I'll check that tonight to see if it was in the signal, or is a cablecard/tivo problem. The only other thought I had was bad sectors on the Hard Drive that had not been mapped out yet. Possible?

-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #2232
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Kevin G:

There isn't any reason to have Cable Cards unless you need the encripted channels, which you can only get on the Digital Plus package. Unless you just want dual-tuner functionality for the channels up to 23, plus the local HD channels. But the S3 seems to be a bit of overkill for just that.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #2233
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
Kevin G:

There isn't any reason to have Cable Cards unless you need the encripted channels, which you can only get on the Digital Plus package. Unless you just want dual-tuner functionality for the channels up to 23, plus the local HD channels. But the S3 seems to be a bit of overkill for just that.
There is plenty of reason, unfortunately. Principally digital channel mapping issues which can't be resolved without the CableCARD, at least as cable companies are apparently (not) providing PSIP data at the moment. Though technically without a digital package I suppose you should not be entitled to the digitally transmitted channels that are simulcasts of the analog ones which don't require a "digital" package.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #2234
LooseWiring

Joules and I looked at our bill today for the next month and we are now being charged $6.95 for "HDTV Add'l Outlet(s)" after having 2 CableCards installed into our Series 3.

We were not told of this prior to our ordering. We only have 1 HDTV.

I called Comcast and complained that the charge is completely unreasonable considering it is just a multi-card device and not an "Add'l Outlet(s)"

We do have two items on the bill for "Cable Card Tracking" but they are listed as ".00" under charges.

Is this right/legal? Has anyone succesfully fought this before? I have spoken with 2 CSR's and a supervisor and the only action I am getting is the supervisor promising to look into this.

TIA
Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #2235
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You should be able to get as many cable cards as you need for each cc device from Comcast. I have six cablecards for my S3 boxes. I don't have any for my Tvs though, but I could have if I wanted them.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #2236
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring
Joules and I looked at our bill today for the next month and we are now being charged $6.95 for "HDTV Add'l Outlet(s)" after having 2 CableCards installed into our Series 3.

We were not told of this prior to our ordering. We only have 1 HDTV.

I called Comcast and complained that the charge is completely unreasonable considering it is just a multi-card device and not an "Add'l Outlet(s)"

We do have two items on the bill for "Cable Card Tracking" but they are listed as ".00" under charges.

Is this right/legal? Has anyone succesfully fought this before? I have spoken with 2 CSR's and a supervisor and the only action I am getting is the supervisor promising to look into this.

TIA
Comcast's new FAQ entry (http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ...s.ashx?Id=2651) is pretty clear on this in my opinion:

Quote:
There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD.
Since they make it pretty clear that two CableCARDs in a single Series3 is considered a single outlet, I see no way that they can justify charging an additional outlet fee for a Series3 any more.

So, as long as you don't have any other CableCARDs or cable boxes around, I'd keep complaining, and reference their FAQ.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #2237
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
There is plenty of reason, unfortunately. Principally digital channel mapping issues which can't be resolved without the CableCARD, at least as cable companies are apparently (not) providing PSIP data at the moment. Though technically without a digital package I suppose you should not be entitled to the digitally transmitted channels that are simulcasts of the analog ones which don't require a "digital" package.
Yeah, ultimately it was all about being able to Tivo the HD locals for me...I do get them OTA pretty well, but I didn't want to have to worry about bad weather, etc. weakening the signal. So, the cable cards were required... I really don't need the digital simulcast stuff, but I guess I don't have a choice!

Anyway, they are going to put me into the $129.99 triple play package. That includes HBO (which I would get for the Sopranos when it comes back anyway), Showtime, and Starz. I still think this information should have been offered when I inquired about the cost of cable cards.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #2238
LooseWiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Comcast's new FAQ entry (http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ...s.ashx?Id=2651) is pretty clear on this in my opinion:

Since they make it pretty clear that two CableCARDs in a single Series3 is considered a single outlet, I see no way that they can justify charging an additional outlet fee for a Series3 any more.

So, as long as you don't have any other CableCARDs or cable boxes around, I'd keep complaining, and reference their FAQ.

Drew
I quoted this same FAQ to them. They are denying that's how it works.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #2239
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring

Is this right/legal? ...
TIA
See my post in message 1579 [correction - post 1578 on page 53}. I too live in Miami, and have complained to the local county complaint office (305-375-4222). They say that the County does not control rates, Comcast can charge anything it wants. All the County does is limit their rate increases to once a year. The County has no control over the fact that our local Comcast is trying to make use of cable cards prohibitively expensive as compared to their own set-top boxes. I sent a complaint to the FCC, and they kicked it back and told me to complain to local authorities.

It appears our choices are to pay all the exorbitant charges, mothball our S3s and rent Comcast boxes, or mothball our S3s and go satellite. If I have to mothball my S3s, I'm certainly not staying with Comcast.

Last edited by Warlord46 : 02-26-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #2240
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Unfortunately, there is a disclaimer at the bottom of that page that allows local Comcast subsidiaries to ignore it. And in Miami, Florida, they do.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #2241
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
See my post in message 1579. I too live in Miami, and have complained to the local county complaint office (305-375-4222). They say that the County does not control rates, Comcast can charge anything it wants. All the County does is limit their rate increases to once a year. The County has no control over the fact that our local Comcast is trying to make use of cable cards prohibitively expensive as compared to their own set-top boxes. I sent a complaint to the FCC, and they kicked it back and told me to complain to local authorities.

It appears our choices are to pay all the exorbitant charges, mothball our S3s and rent Comcast boxes, or mothball our S3s and go satellite. If I have to mothball my S3s, I'm certainly not staying with Comcast.
If you're getting bounced back between the FCC and local comission, perhaps you could fire off a letter to the FTC, your local AG, or whatever the local equivilant to the FTC is (some sort of ombudsman?)

Does Comcast national have some sort of consumer ombudsman? Someone who can set your local chain straight if need be?
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #2242
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments WRT the A/O charges for one device, but realistically, they are NOT charging an exorbinant fee for the cableCARDs over the digital STB.

Here, in the Boston area, they are currently charging $0.00 for the first card and $1.50/mo. for the second card in the same box. Then they are charging $3.51 for ONE additional outlet (A/O) if you have premium services like HBO. So, they are charging $5.01/mo. for a dual tuner device vs. $5.00/mo for their single digital STB w/remote.

(That is the current pricing structure on their pricing sheet, although, I was charged $0.00 for both cards this month and just $2.75 for 1 A/O, their old rate. They did not follow their pricing increase, not that I'm complaining mind you.)
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #2243
Joanrobins

Who to ask for at 1-800-Comcast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmoses
Here in Nashville, I guess it's done a little differently than most of the postings I've read in this thread. Instead of calling to have them come out and install, the local Comcast reps tell you to go pick up a pair of CableCards at the service shop and install them yourself. We did that yesterday without much trouble.

We called 1-800-COMCAST and explained the situation and, after the first guy immediately transferred us to Home Networking (who had no clue what we were talking about), we got someone who was able to help. He hit one card at a time for us, and -- all channels are present with both cards subscribed. Took maybe 5 minutes once I got directed to the right guy.

I gotta say, that was surprisingly easy compared to some of the difficulties I've heard people have with the process in this thread.
Hi Joelmoses,

I'm supposed to go down and get my two cards next week. When I go through the self-install, who should I ask for a 1-800-comcast? It would be nice to "get the right guy" right off the bat!

Joan
Joanrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #2244
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
My Comcast contact called me this morning to check up on everything and make sure it all was still working. He also said they'd be giving me a credit for one month's service of $189 for all the trouble. I did receive my first bill this week and hadn't really managed to decipher yet exactly what I'm being charged for (all the partial month breakdowns and cryptic descriptions make it a bit difficult)... gonna look more closely at it tonight, I guess. Though having been told it was about $187 (+taxes), it's about where I expected it'd be for 2 HD DVR's plus 2 CableCARDs plus modem rental and my $159.99 Triple Play Platinum package.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #2245
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments WRT the A/O charges for one device, but realistically, they are NOT charging an exorbinant fee for the cableCARDs over the digital STB.

Here, in the Boston area, they are currently charging $0.00 for the first card and $1.50/mo. for the second card in the same box. Then they are charging $3.51 for ONE additional outlet (A/O) if you have premium services like HBO. So, they are charging $5.01/mo. for a dual tuner device vs. $5.00/mo for their single digital STB w/remote.
Realistically they are charging exorbitant fees in some areas, just apparently not Boston. Warlord46 is being charged "$5.00 for HD service and $6.95 additional outlet for EACH cable card." So the same thing that costs you $5.01, costs Warlord46 $23.90.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #2246
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac 5
Realistically they are charging exorbitant fees in some areas, just apparently not Boston. Warlord46 is being charged "$5.00 for HD service and $6.95 additional outlet for EACH cable card." So the same thing that costs you $5.01, costs Warlord46 $23.90.
Right. I guess I missed the part where the discussion went from Loosewiring's charges to Warlord46's charges. I was referring to the reply to Loosewiring where Warlord46 said the OP charges were exhorbinant. Whatever. The fact is, Comcast is all over the place. Nothing new there.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #2247
jcddc

Washington DC Comcast Fee update

Back in October when I had two cablecards installed in my TiVo, Comcast started charging me $10 a month for two HDTV converters ($5 each). I called then to complain about this, and was told by a customer service agent that this charge was necessary, and that I would lose HD service if they dropped it.

Yesterday, with my bill, Comcast sent a new pricing list. One line was "Two cablecards in a non-Comcast HD DVR: no charge currently, $1.50 per month in March."

I called Comcast again to ask about the $10 charge. This time, the customer service agent voluntary removed the charge, back to October.

(One of you also wrote me privately today to tell me about this, too).

So I guess the moral is to watch your bill and talk to more than one agent if you think you're in the right.
jcddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #2248
bbock727

jcddc can u tell us who you talked to and exactly what you said so we can do the same. We really all need to find one person at comcast who knows what they are doing w/ billing and all speak to the same person
bbock727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #2249
jcddc

I don't know whom I spoke with. But pricing policies seem to differ by jurisdiction, so I'm not sure my experience is useful for people outside of Washington DC.
jcddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #2250
mafoo

debug of lost encrypted channels

Just to follow up, in case anyone else has this problem. I had the symptom of losing the encrypted channels such as espn/hbo/etc.. while unencrypted hd channels (nbc/cbs/etc..) worked fine.

After blaming the cable cards I actually found it was my HDMI connection to my TV. I think Comcast must have changed encryption, and as Tivo is supposed to do, it re-encrypts incoming encrypted channels using HDCP over HDMI to the TV. It fouled up the TV on this change. After unplugging TV and re-booting TV, the encrypted channels worked fine.

Word to the wise. Debug your Tivo and Cablecard installation using an ANALOG (component/composite) connection to the TV and THEN switch over to HDMI.
mafoo is offline   Reply With Quote