TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #31
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Help

Dsander and Sconfusion

It is hard to say what isnt working for you. I hate to do this but if you download TiVo desktop and enable tivo-to-go does it put a folder at the bottom of your now playing list??

You must obviously be on the same subnet as your TiVo, I think have 7.2 or greater firmware on TiVo. Must be a tivo standalone box, hmm not sure what the other basic requirements are.

If you use the link above and see the XML page load then you are having a network or TiVo problem not a pyTivo problem.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #32
Deadpan Science

I just tried to install this. Maybe I'm doing something really stupid that is causing me to have this problem.

I downloaded python 2.2, installed it, then installed pywin32-210, then I extracted pyTivo146.zip to C:\pyTivo-146. Then I edited pyTivo.py with Notepad++ so that it says:
Quote:
[Server]
port=9032

[Video]
type=video
path=c:\tivo\
I also turned off my firewall just for testing. (If I use the tivo desktop software and put a file in c:\videos it shows up in the now playing list, even with the firewall on)

then I went to start-> Run and ran

Quote:
C:\pyTivo-146\pyTivo\pyTivoService.py --startup auto install
After I did this I ran services.msc to see if there was a service installed. I saw one for tivo beacon, but nothing obviously related to pyTivo.

What am I doing wrong here?
Deadpan Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #33
sconfusion1

KRKeegan, sorry for the delayed response... I just noticed the Page 2. *sigh*

I have Tivo Desktop installed and I can transfer files between my PC and Tivo, but the only folder I have in the Now Playing List (with Grouping turned off) is Recently Deleted. The Tivo's visible via my network, and I can access its built-in web browser.

Do you have any other suggestions?
sconfusion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #34
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpan Science
I just tried to install this. Maybe I'm doing something really stupid that is causing me to have this problem.

I downloaded python 2.2, installed it, then installed pywin32-210, then I extracted pyTivo146.zip to C:\pyTivo-146. Then I edited pyTivo.py with Notepad++ so that it says:

I also turned off my firewall just for testing. (If I use the tivo desktop software and put a file in c:\videos it shows up in the now playing list, even with the firewall on)

then I went to start-> Run and ran

After I did this I ran services.msc to see if there was a service installed. I saw one for tivo beacon, but nothing obviously related to pyTivo.

What am I doing wrong here?
I have been using python 2.5 and pywin32 build 210. You may also want to try running it in a console, that way you will be able to see any errors.

Quote:
cd C:\pyTivo-146\pyTivo\
pyTivoService.py --startup auto install

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #35
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

armooo

Looks like you have been taking a much needed coding break. Pipakin has a similar server called Tivo.net. It is substantially more bulky and prone to many more bugs, but from what I understand he is able to avoid the transfer interrupted error at the end of the file.

He said he passes the same 404 error as you at the end of the file, but the one thing that he does that is different is that he tells TiVo the duration of the file on the front end in the container.tmpl file. I have tried messing with this a little bit, but so far not so much luck for me. I thought maybe you would have more luck.

Keep up the good work. I like that pyTivo is rather lightweight.

Edit: On closer inspection I still get an error with Tivo.net, however pipakin and others don't so there is something else going on there.

Last edited by KRKeegan : 02-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #36
pipakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
...Tivo.net. It is substantially more bulky and prone to many more bugs, but from ...
Ouch man...very ouch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(current version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).
pipakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #37
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipakin
Ouch man...very ouch.

aww sorry man. I am not meaning to complain. pyTivo is the southwest of transcoding servers. No frills nothing fancy just do the job. And for many of us Linux guys we prefer that method. Tivo.net has many more features and I think these additional features make it substantially more bulky.

Plus I dunno, I kinda like how pyTivo only builds a cache if you actually load that folder from TiVo. Now I dont have any folder with more than 30 files in it, and I have a fast server so maybe other people would have problems.

And I think mono maybe some of my problem, but I ended up with quite a few defunct ffmpeg instances running.

Honestly I appreciate the work you have done, you have a nice piece of software there, but at the moment it just isn't for me. Maybe some time in the future.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #38
pipakin

*chuckle* I wasn't being 100% serious. Keep up the good work overe here. If I figure out anything on the transfer interrupted front, I'll let you guys know.

(current version
).
pipakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #39
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

New Version 147

New Version 147

I think armooo needed a little break. In the mean time I made a few alterations. The major addition is that the code should work on any python platform now. It has been tested on Windows and Linux.

Please Note: The configuration file has changed a little please read more below.

And many thanks again for armooo for starting this. Hopefully he can join us again when he has time.

Download pyTivo Version 147

---Changes
- Duration has been added
so now the green bar on the bottom of the screen is accurate. I thought this would help the deleting problem but it didn't.

- Single form of code
so now this works with no changes on linux and windows

- ffmpeg entry in config file
allows you to move ffmpeg and allows a single version of code for multiple platforms

---Usage

You need to edit pyTivo.conf in 3 places

1. ffmpeg=
2. [<name of share>]
3. path=

ffmpeg should be the full path to ffmpeg including filename. For windows users the exe has been included and is in the plugins/video directory.
path is the absolute path to your media

run pyTivo.py
Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #40
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
just ran pytivo.py and got this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\pyTivo-146\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 12, in <module>
httpd = httpserver.TivoHTTPServer(('', int(port)), httpserver.TivoHTTPHandle
r)
File "C:\pyTivo-146\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 14, in __init__
BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer.__init__(self, server_address, RequestHandlerClass
)
File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 330, in __init__
self.server_bind()
File "C:\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 101, in server_bind
SocketServer.TCPServer.server_bind(self)
File "C:\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 341, in server_bind
self.socket.bind(self.server_address)
File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: (10013, 'Permission denied')

missing something?
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #41
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I have merged the changes KRKeegan's 147. It is now killing mmpeg when you stop the transfer early on linux (it looks like it was being killed then the thread was ending anyway). And fixed the type line in the config file, from x-container/tivo-videos to video. This was changed when I moved to the plugin system.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #42
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

teehee, literally last night I also fixed the abandoned ffmpeg threads on linux too.

As an fyi I don't know if you saw but Desktop 2.4 is out and the paid version offers the ability to transcode from WMV to TiVo. From what I am reading it sounds like you just toss the WMV files into the correct folder and they show up on the NPL.

I am plugging away trying to find someone out there with a paid version to tell me what the XML looks like for the wmv files. I would imagine that if TiVo is offering this they have fixed the glitch with video file sizes.

Kevin

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #43
zpimpa

Hi,

I can connect manually (via my laptop) to:
h.ttp://127.0.0.1:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Video

However, Video does not showup on my Tivo.

I am running Python 2.5 and the latest build of PyTivo.

Any help or help troubleshooting would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
zpimpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #44
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpimpa
Hi,

I can connect manually (via my laptop) to:
h.ttp://127.0.0.1:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=Video

However, Video does not showup on my Tivo.

I am running Python 2.5 and the latest build of PyTivo.

Any help or help troubleshooting would be appreciated greatly. Thanks
What do you get when you load that web page?

If you see XML with your videos in there then there is either something blocking the TiVo or your TiVo doesnt support video transfers. You need to have version 7.2 of the software.

Check and make sure that there are no firewalls or anything blocking TiVo from talking to your pc.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #45
Jabo4

I'm running Vista and having a bit of an issue. I have python installed with no issues, but running the pyTivoService.py --startup auto install isn't working. It seems like a syntax error but everytime I try to install the service it just spits out the usage commands...like I put nothing in. I'm sure it's something dumb but any help would be nice.

Oh and if I just try to run pyTivo.py it spits out lots of errors. Not sure what this means to you.

No module Named x-containter etc.. So I'm not sure if I did something wrong or whether vista doesn't like whats going on.

Last edited by Jabo4 : 02-27-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Jabo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #46
armooo
pyTivo Developer

The "No module Named x-containter" is caused by an error in KRKeegan's included config file. If you change the type=video under your share name it should start right up.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #47
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
The "No module Named x-containter" is caused by an error in KRKeegan's included config file. If you change the type=video under your share name it should start right up.
hehe oops

Sorry all.

Kevin

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #48
Jabo4

Great! That works. Any clue as to why it won't install as a service? It just ignores my parameters in python. Thanks in advance! Also, what would I change to make it get music and videos? Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #49
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I am working on a windows installer/config tool now. The first release is going to be bare bone, but it will work (kinda).

If you want to add music just create a new config section and set the type to music.

[Mp3's]
path=d:\mp3s
type=music
Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #50
Jabo4

Yeah I got it to work finally. The latest 157 version is missing the Transcode.py python file the music part works great now! Is there anyway to put music on the NPL? I know it's probably a weird request but even linking straight from there instead of like 3 screens would be great! I'm sure tivo has limitations though.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #51
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabo4
Yeah I got it to work finally. The latest 157 version is missing the Transcode.py python file the music part works great now! Is there anyway to put music on the NPL? I know it's probably a weird request but even linking straight from there instead of like 3 screens would be great! I'm sure tivo has limitations though.
1. Transcode.py - Hmm this is in the plugins/video directory as it should be. But armoo recently deleted an extra copy form the base folder. Is that what you had to replace?

2. Music in NPL - I dont think that is something we can do on the server end. That is up to TiVo to handle that one.

---------------------------

So I am messing around with Desktop 2.4. It appears that they use a constant bit rate in order to be able to predict the streamed file size. It looks like the bit rate is 3367kbytes/second

Edit
Well cool, the file size TiVo reports pre-transcoding is not the same as the resulting file size. So I just have to figure out how Desktop gracefully tells TiVo that there is no more. So a solution does appear likely.

Last edited by KRKeegan : 03-01-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #52
armooo
pyTivo Developer

It seems that when running as a windows service os.getcwd() is not the pyTivo directory so it was not able to find the pyTivo.conf file. This has been fixed.

I have also added GUID support. So you can now have more than one server on your network.

And finally I have an installer to try out. pyTivo 161 Setup. It should install Python 2.5 and pywin32. It will install pyTivo as a service and start it. It will also run the configurator to let you set up shares.

The configurator is not done yet, so it has some bugs. You need to double click to select a share, and you need to make sure you hit save before you quit. The configurator is also linked to from the start menu and will let you restart the pyTivo service, which you need to do after making changes.

You also need to make sure that port 9032 is open, the installer dose not do anything to the windows firewall.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #53
Jabo4

Yeah for it to work I still have to have the transcode code file in the main directory. I am having issues with the service too, running pyTivo by itself works fine, I am not familar with Python so if you want me to pull some kind of log from it or just tell me how to fire the pyTivoService from inside the command line then I could catch the error it's recieving and maybe give some insight on what is causing the failure.

Last edited by Jabo4 : 03-01-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #54
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Wahoo!

I purchased Desktop 2.4 and watched how it handles the transcoding of WMV files. Long story short, I was able to solve the Transfer interrupt problem that many of us saw at the end of file transfers.

This should also fix the rapid deletion problem. After $25 bucks and a lot of packet sniffing it turns out to be a very simple fix. It has been updated and versions 163 and onward should have no problem.

Enjoy, I am off to bed. http://armooo.net/~armooo/pyTivo/

Kevin

Next Fixes1. Overestimating file size may cause TiVo to delete programs prematurely to make room for an overly large file. 2. Aspect ratio tweaks. 3. Attempt to add some meta data features

Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #55
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Damn I tried return a 206 response code, I guess if I read rfc2616 better I would have seen http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/....html#sec14.10 .
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Minor Update

Version 164 is up.

Changes:
- No longer limited to a 6gig transfer. File sizes are now estimated with extra buffer. This should stop TiVo unnecessarily deleting programs early to make room for a 6gig file everytime.

- Ratio stretch. Files that are nearly 4:3 or 16:9 will be stretched to those aspects. I noticed many bittorrent videos are slightly off because the videos have been cropped.

- Left and Right padding. While rare there was no ability to view a video that had a lower ratio than 4:3. This is now enabled and will add black bars to the left and right side of the screen.

Enjoy

Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #57
ocntscha

So do I really need python 2.4 for this? I've got 2.3.4 which is the latest availalble to me via my yum repositories. (Not much going on in the Tivo.Net thread, I think Pipakin overdosed on Benadryl, figured I'd wander into here) Congratulations on snooping out how to do the graceful transfer terminations.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #58
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
So do I really need python 2.4 for this?
oops sorry, the interpreter line should read python not python2.4. This is a holdover from when I was converting this from a windows to a linux script.

Umm you probably only need 2.3 but I am not sure. The only limitation is getting the imports to work. Namely cheetah. Sorry I dont specifically know the requirements. Tinker with it and let me know.

Kevin

Old 03-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #59
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
(Not much going on in the Tivo.Net thread, I think Pipakin overdosed on Benadryl, figured I'd wander into here)
I'm in here too.

Giving it a try ... took a long time for the NPL to populate. At first I thought it wasn't working but eventually it came up. Now to actually try a transfer ...

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #60
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Sorry Update

Sorry everyone in my rush to merge in my own modifications I missed a correction i had made to the original code. You may have inadvertantly been getting some very narrow video. Sorry that should be fixed now in version 165.