TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #121
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
You are running the latest version of NCID. You do not need the -R option, but otherwise your command line is good.

The error you are getting indicates that the client is not seeing the server. This usually indicates either the server is not running or there is a network problem.

If it is the server aborting, it probably means the phone line is not connected. Maybe it is connected to he TiVo you want to use as a client. If server OK, then check network, check IP addresses using 'ifconfig' on each TiVo. Try to ping each TiVo from each box.

Hope these suggestions help, or at least point you in the right direction.
Yeah - it was a network problem. Silly me didn't have all the units on the same subnet.

Working great now - thx!
headcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #122
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase
Yeah - it was a network problem. Silly me didn't have all the units on the same subnet.

Working great now - thx!
Depending on what kind of router you have dividing your subnets, you can make this work...at least on a Cisco router, a combination of ip helper-address/ip forward-protocol ought to do it.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #123
Bobblob

OK, so I've been looking at the whole ncidd can't find the lockfile thing on the HR10-250. I do see in /tmp there's a /tmp/tcphonehome directory (which is usually empty), and a /tmp/tcphonehome.lck file (which I'm thinking might have something to do with it), but when I edited the ncidd.conf file to point there as the lockfile, it didn't help anything. So far the only solution appears to be killing ncidd somehow before trying to make outbound calls, whether using the net or the modem.

Don't know if that helps anything.
Bobblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #124
sjmaye
Techie Wannabe

I installed callerID when I zippered my HR10-250. In late December 2006 I noticed that I was not getting an on-screen pop-up when a call came in.

Not knowing what else to do I re-ran the enhancement script tweak.sh. This worked, but also reset other things such as losing hackman.

Now about a month later I have the same problem. No on-screen pop-up.

I would like to avoid re-running the script. Is there another option?
sjmaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #125
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaye
I installed callerID when I zippered my HR10-250. In late December 2006 I noticed that I was not getting an on-screen pop-up when a call came in.

Not knowing what else to do I re-ran the enhancement script tweak.sh. This worked, but also reset other things such as losing hackman.

This sounds like either the server or client stopped. Look at /var/log/ncidd.log and see if you have a termination message for the server. The client does not leave one. You can either restart NCID or reboot the TiVo, whichever is easiest for you, and see if that fixes it. The version you are running is 0.65. The enhancement script will now install version 0.67. Maybe some of the fixes in the new release will help you.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #126
luder

Quote:

Hey , sjmaye
it is certainly posible to install scripts without re-running enhancement scripts from scratch I'm not familiar with the hr10-250 i'll try to take a crack at it.. try ftping to the unit and check and see if ncid_settings folder is in root the folder should consist with 6 files if yes check into your author file and see if ncid starts @ boot.

Oof try Jlc recomendation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #127
luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
This sounds like either the server or client stopped. Look at /var/log/ncidd.log and see if you have a termination message for the server. The client does not leave one. You can either restart NCID or reboot the TiVo, whichever is easiest for you, and see if that fixes it. The version you are running is 0.65. The enhancement script will now install version 0.67. Maybe some of the fixes in the new release will help you.
Hey chief i don't know if it's covered but, i've been looking thru conf files and not able to find the version i'm using is there a way i can find out

luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #128
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by luder
Hey chief i don't know if it's covered but, i've been looking thru conf files and not able to find the version i'm using is there a way i can find out
The version number is listed when the server starts and when the client starts. It is not given in the configuration files.

Look at /var/log/ncidd.log for a line like: Server: ncidd 0.67

You can also execute: ncidd -V in a terminal window. It will print the version number and then quit. It will not effect another instance of ncidd already running.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #129
sjmaye
Techie Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
Yes I am running verion 0.65. I do not see any termination message. Here is the text from the ncidd.log

Started: 02/05/2007 09:27
Server: ncidd 0.65
Processed config file: /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.conf
Configured to send 'cidlog' to clients.
Configured to send 'cidinfo' to clients.
Processed alias file: /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
Verbose level: 1
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.
TTY in use: releasing modem 02/07/2007 13:12
TTY free: using modem again 02/07/2007 13:12
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.

Since there is no termination message this means it was due to the client?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luder
Hey , sjmaye
it is certainly posible to install scripts without re-running enhancement scripts from scratch I'm not familiar with the hr10-250 i'll try to take a crack at it.. try ftping to the unit and check and see if ncid_settings folder is in root the folder should consist with 6 files if yes check into your author file and see if ncid starts @ boot.
I checked. The ncid_settings was in the root directory. There are 6 files in it. Here they are.

ncid.conf
ncidd.alias
ncidd.conf
ncidrotate.conf
ncidscript.conf
ncidsip.conf

I do not know where the author file is located nor how to edit it. I have intentionally stayed away from it thinking I would screw it up and nothing would work.

Strangely- I been checking for the last couple days and CID has not worked. Just to be sure before i replied to you guys I tried it again. NOW IT IS WORKING. Go figure!

As mentioned earlier this has happened before, but that time I could reboot to my heart's galore and caller ID would not restart.

Thank you both for the help. Even if it is working now I do know a bit more than I did before. Maybe I can handle it better next time it happens.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #130
jlc

Quote:
Yes I am running verion 0.65. I do not see any termination message. Here is the text from the ncidd.log

Started: 02/05/2007 09:27
Server: ncidd 0.65
Verbose level: 1
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.
TTY in use: releasing modem 02/07/2007 13:12
TTY free: using modem again 02/07/2007 13:12
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.

Since there is no termination message this means it was due to the client?
Problem may not be server or client terminating. The server, almost all of the time leaves a termination message, so we can assume it was running. However, you have TTY in use and TTY free messages. Do you see a lot of them? If so that could be the problem. When the server issues a TTY in use message, it disconnects from the modem until you see the TTY free message. If you have more of the messages, how far apart in time are they?

The client is hard to kill as it will go into a loop trying to restart once every minute, but you can miss calls if this happens.

You can see if the server and the client are running:
Code:
ps auxw | grep ncid
It could be a modem problem, maybe it was reset and Caller ID is turned off. Bump verbose up to 3 in /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.conf to give more information on what is happening.

Quote:
Strangely- I been checking for the last couple days and CID has not worked. Just to be sure before i replied to you guys I tried it again. NOW IT IS WORKING. Go figure!
This is a good indication it is either a modem problem or a TTY messages problem. NCID would not have restarted if either the server or client died. I recommend you upgrade to version 0.67 to get the benefit of some fixes in this area. I rather troubleshoot the current version.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 AM   #131
sjmaye
Techie Wannabe

Hi jlc,

Thank you for all the troubleshooting information. Back when this first happened I posted my issues in the Zipper thread and got little info to work from. This is the thread I should have been looking for!

I see now that NCID is just a module within the Zipper. Saying that, does that mean I can upgrade by simply getting the updated files from SourceForge?

Thas again for your help.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #132
jlc

Quote:
I see now that NCID is just a module within the Zipper. Saying that, does that mean I can upgrade by simply getting the updated files from SourceForge?
Yes, you can get the current file from sourceforge and update. Be sure to save the /var/hack/etc/ncid folder first if you made any changes to the configuration files. They did change so it is best if you modify the current ones with your changes, if any. Be sure to read the INSTALL file for the TiVo to see how to unpack and install it.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #133
lloydjs

Hi John,

I just found this posting and I am much intrigued!

I have a couple of questions which I hope you could answer, but first let me describe my configuration:
I have a series1 SVR2000 running TivoWeb and Vonage for my phone service. The Tivoís modem died a couple of years ago, but I am able to make the daily call using turbonet. I also recently installed TivoWeb using Steve Jenkinsí guide so my Tivo is hacked.

Last week, I found a posting on TiVonage and was very excited until I found out that it doesnít work with a series1.
Then I found your posting on NCID and I am excited again.

Basic question #1:
Does the Tivo require a working modem for the Caller ID or can it use the turbonet? I am guessing (hoping) that I donít need a modem.

Question #2:
What is the difference (high level for newbie like me) between TivoNCID and TivoCID? I did some reading on sourceforge.com but I still canít tell which one to use. Maybe it doesnít matter. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Lloyd
lloydjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #134
lloydjs

I found a solution to get caller id w/ series 1 and no modem (my modem died)

YAC for Windows (server) and YAC for Tivo (listener)

http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/
lloydjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #135
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydjs
Basic question #1:
Does the Tivo require a working modem for the Caller ID or can it use the turbonet? I am guessing (hoping) that I donít need a modem.
If you are using VOIP from Vonage or another company, NCID can get the Caller ID directly from SIP packets without using a modem. However, this is not plug and play. It requires Perl and some support libraries on the TiVo. It also requires you to make sure your network can receive SIP packets. Eventually I will provide a library package, but maybe someone else would like to do it.

Quote:
Question #2:
What is the difference (high level for newbie like me) between TivoNCID and TivoCID? I did some reading on sourceforge.com but I still canít tell which one to use. Maybe it doesnít matter. What do you recommend?
The difference between the two programs is that TiVoCID uses a program, you need to install, for the display, while TiVoNCID uses a TiVo supplied program for the display. The original program was TiVoCID, but it does not work everywhere and so TiVoNCID was produced as an alternative. You can use either program for the display. I would say to use the one you like best.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #136
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydjs
I found a solution to get caller id w/ series 1 and no modem (my modem died)

YAC for Windows (server) and YAC for Tivo (listener)

http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/
There is interest in a yac2ncid listerner so NCID can get CID input from a YAC server. Hitchhiker wrote one which is now being tested. It will be released in the next version of NCID. See this post
Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #137
FMK2
Mostly Harmless...

I sliced my HR10-250 to 6.3d a couple weeks ago, and since then NCID works initially after a reboot, but then stops displaying calls.

I bumped verbose up to 3 in the ncidd.log file, and the latest reboot shows the following:
Quote:
Started: 06/18/2007 09:29
Server: ncidd 0.67
Verbose level: 3
CID logfile: /var/log/cidcall.log
Data logfile: /var/log/ciddata.log
TTY port opened: /dev/ttyS1
TTY port speed: 19200
TTY lock file: /var/tmp/modemlock
TTY port control signals disabled
AT Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0
OK
Try 1 to init modem: return = 0.
Modem initialized.
AT+VCID=1
OK
Modem set for CallerID.
Client connected, sd: 6, Sent call log: /var/log/cidcall.log
It looks as if the server is still running; the ps command returns:
Quote:
FamRm-TiVo# ps aws | grep ncid
0 361 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 Ss ? 0:35 ncidd
0 4858 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 S+ ttyp0 0:00 grep ncid
FamRm-TiVo#
When I test NCID right after a reboot by calling myself, the number displays on screen, but then at some point it simply stops displaying calls.

Where should I be looking to try to debug this problem?
FMK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #138
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMK2
I sliced my HR10-250 to 6.3d a couple weeks ago, and since then NCID works initially after a reboot, but then stops displaying calls.

I bumped verbose up to 3 in the ncidd.log file, and the latest reboot shows the following:

It looks as if the server is still running; the ps command returns:

When I test NCID right after a reboot by calling myself, the number displays on screen, but then at some point it simply stops displaying calls.

Where should I be looking to try to debug this problem?
The most likely problem is your modem. It probibly is not in Caller ID mode anymore.

Wait until NCID stops displaying your calls, then do the following in a terminal window:
Code:
touch /var/tmp/modemlock
sleep 1
rm /var/tmp/modemlock
Look at your log file and see if the above caused 2 entries. If it did, call yourself and see if NCID displays the call again. If it works, then put the above in a script and call it from cron every 2 hours or so. I seem to remember a posted script for this, but I do not remember where it is.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #139
FMK2
Mostly Harmless...

Yup, that did it. Thanks for the help.

Here's what was added to the log file:
Quote:
TTY in use: releasing modem 06/18/2007 23:07
TTY free: using modem again 06/18/2007 23:07
AT Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0
OK
Try 1 to init modem: return = 0.
Modem initialized.
AT+VCID=1
OK
Modem set for CallerID.
I'll add the script and set it to run every so often, but I didn't have this problem when I was on 3.1.5f. I wonder what changed?

Is there some process I could kill that would keep the modem from being tied up?
FMK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #140
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMK2
Yup, that did it. Thanks for the help.

Here's what was added to the log file:

I'll add the script and set it to run every so often, but I didn't have this problem when I was on 3.1.5f. I wonder what changed?

Is there some process I could kill that would keep the modem from being tied up?
Here's a thread I started that may help. jlc, as you'll see, was very helpful. Good luck.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #141
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
Here's a thread I started that may help. jlc, as you'll see, was very helpful. Good luck.
Thank You. I remembered the thread but could not find it to reference it.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #142
jlc

NCID version 0.68 has been released.

Improvements were made in SIP client, modules and server.

The maximum call log file size can be specified on a command line or in the configuration file.

A YAC gateway and client module were added. NCID can now optain Caller ID information from a YAC server, and NCID can send Caller ID information to YAC listeners.

Documentation was again improved, but needs more work.

A special thanks to Hitchhiker for writing and contributing the YAC Gateway and the YAC client module.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #143
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
Thank You. I remembered the thread but could not find it to reference it.
Any time.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #144
RandCfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
A YAC gateway and client module were added. NCID can now optain Caller ID information from a YAC server, and NCID can send Caller ID information to YAC listeners.
Unless I overlooked something, which is quit possible. I do not fine the yac2ncid program or config file.
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.4a
(3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
RandCfilm
RandCfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #145
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandCfilm
Unless I overlooked something, which is quit possible. I do not fine the yac2ncid program or config file.
You did not overlook something. My build script for the TiVo missed the files. I have updated the TiVo packages at sourceforge. The names are now ncid-0.68-1-tivo-mips.tgz and ncid-0.68-1-tivo-ppc.tgz. Please download the current package.

The mips package is for a series2 and a series3. The ppc package is just for a series1.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #146
whitepelican

Okay, then. So, if I have a YAC server running on my network, what exactly do I need to do to get this running? I have a Windows box with the YAC server running, and I'm running the YAC client on my 3 SD DirecTivos. All is working fine. But I want to run NCID on my HR10-250 (YAC screws up HME apps). Do I need to run both ncidd & yac2ncid on the HR10-250? Do I also need to run ncid? And which conf files do I need to modify? I don't see much to configure in either yac2ncid.conf or ncidd.conf.

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I've always had a heckuva time trying to get NCID up and running on its own, so much so that I gave up on having a caller ID prog on my HR10-250. But since you've gone through the trouble of creating this yac2ncid program, I thought I'd give it another go.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #147
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican
Okay, then. So, if I have a YAC server running on my network, what exactly do I need to do to get this running? I have a Windows box with the YAC server running, and I'm running the YAC client on my 3 SD DirecTivos. All is working fine. But I want to run NCID on my HR10-250 (YAC screws up HME apps). Do I need to run both ncidd & yac2ncid on the HR10-250? Do I also need to run ncid? And which conf files do I need to modify? I don't see much to configure in either yac2ncid.conf or ncidd.conf.

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I've always had a heckuva time trying to get NCID up and running on its own, so much so that I gave up on having a caller ID prog on my HR10-250. But since you've gone through the trouble of creating this yac2ncid program, I thought I'd give it another go.
You are right - you will need to install and configure NCIDD server. If you don't want to deal with the tivo modem, you can choose to install it without talking to modem (see installation instructions for VoIP based CallerID info)

Once NCIDD server (and client) are running, you can then run yac2ncid program - you will probably not need any config changes, but that depends on your Tivo hacking level. yac2ncid needs a supported version of 'nc' binary and most known versions are supported and should work without config changes. In a rare case, you may need to deal with nc binary/ (Zipper installs busybox which includes a compatible nc, btw)

Once yac2ncid is up and running, add the tivo's IP to the YAC server like any other YAC client - you should be good to go after that.

HTH

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #148
whitepelican

Thanks, Hichhiker. Just to be clear, then: I need to run all three of ncidd, ncid, and yac2ncid?
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #149
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican
Here are some comments to Hitchhiker's, since you asked about configuration and what programs to run on the HR10-250.

You need to install NCID and OUT2OSD. For your setup, you need to modify one line in ncidd.conf. Uncomment the set noserial line so you have:
Code:
set noserial = 1
In your startup script, you need the following lines:
Code:
# start CallerID (NCID) and YAC Gateway
/var/hack/bin/ncidd
/var/hack/bin/tivocid &
/var/hack/bin/yac2ncid &
You should run the above commands in a terminal window first, and test it, before you add it to the TiVo startup.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #150
RandCfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hichhiker
You are right - you will need to install and configure NCIDD server. If you don't want to deal with the tivo modem, you can choose to install it without talking to modem (see installation instructions for VoIP based CallerID info)
HTH

-HH
Two things -
1. When I try to run yac2ncid I get "segmentation fault"

2. Following VoIP setup when I try to run ncidsip I get
Code:
Porta's HDTiVo /# /var/hack/sbin/ncidsip --test
bash: /var/hack/sbin/ncidsip: No such file or directory
Porta's HDTiVo /#
Telnet display shows ncidd starting and tivoncid connecting.
Code:
Porta's HDTiVo /var# /var/hack/sbin/ncidd -Dv5
Started: 06/26/2007 20:42
Server: ncidd 0.68
ncidd logfile: /var/log/ncidd.log
Verbose level: 5
CID logfile: /var/log/cidcall.log
CID logfile maximum size: 110000 bytes
Data logfile: /var/log/ciddata.log
CallerID from CID client(s) only
polld[0].revents: 0x1, fd: 4
Client connected, sd: 5, Sent call log: /var/log/cidcall.log

(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.4a
(3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
RandCfilm
RandCfilm is offline   Reply With Quote