Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #361
cramer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Yep. I've been kind of tied up for a bit, didn't login here for two months. I'm trying to catch up now.
As of Wed 12/13/2006, it's up to 8.0.1c. I've had a S3 for 2 days, and it's loaded new software everyday.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #362
pjb00

Question Record/Watch Analog Cable?

All the FAQ's and fact sheets I read mention that one can record two and watch one already recorded show at the same time from digital cable. This may be a stupid question, but does this also apply to shows recorded from analog cable? And can one watch a live analog show while recording one (or two) other shows simultaneously? Thanks for answering what seems a basic question!
pjb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #363
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb00
does this also apply to shows recorded from analog cable? And can one watch a live analog show while recording one (or two) other shows simultaneously?
Yes. And yes.

You can record two shows from any source while watching another show from any source.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #364
pjb00

Thanks!
pjb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #365
Spiff72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Yes. And yes.

You can record two shows from any source while watching another show from any source.
If I may clarify, you can record two shows from any source while watching another show that has been previously recorded from any source.

There are only two active tuners available, so if you are watching live TV, you are occupying a tuner, leaving only one tuner to record something else.

This all assumes, of course, that you only have the Tivo S3 as a source. You can split the incoming cable and feed one side to the Tivo and the other side directly to your TV (if it has a tuner) or another external tuner, allowing you to watch live TV outside of Tivo while recording two shows on your Tivo.
Spiff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #366
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff72
If I may clarify, you can record two shows from any source while watching another show that has been previously recorded from any source.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #367
evilhat

Quote:
Does the S3 have all of the features found on the S2/S2DT?
Not quite. 8.0.1a is similar to the feature set found in 7.2. Features introduced in later S2 software updates, such as Recently Deleted, One-Touch Delete, KidZone, TiVoCast, etc, are scheduled to be added in a late 2006 release. Also, at this time, networking features such as Multi-Room Viewing, TiVoToGo, and TiVoToComeBack are not supported.
*How* late into 2006, exactly?

I've also encountered some weirdness in terms of how the series 3 handles recording quality stuff. See my other thread (which I can't post yet because I'm new to the forum) entitled "Here's what my Series 2 can do that my Series 3 can't, and what I know to do about it" (Thread #332113)
evilhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #368
smak
TV MA SLV

Just a note on the down arrow functionality that's on the HR10-250 and not the Series 3 to switch to the other tuner.

The "live TV" button does exactly the same thing. Maybe that's why they didn't include it, since it's redundant!

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #369
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhat
*How* late into 2006, exactly?
Like January 2007 late, I think, at this point.

I'm thinking maybe timed with CES, which is the second week of January.

With the holidays here, I don't think we'll see a release this year. And if 8.1 was about the ship, I don't know why 8.0.1c would've been pushed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #370
sjmyst

I've seen the following (or something like it) in several places:

Why are network transfers disabled? Will they be enabled?
TiVo had to disable transfers to comply with Cable Labs CableCARD certification requirements. TiVo is investigating and hopes to enable network transfers in a future update.

This explains why an S3 can't send a recording to another box. But, I still don't understand why my S3 can't see my S2 in the other room and receive and play shows recorded on the S2? The recordings on the S2 shouldn't have to comply with Cable Labs certification (they weren't recorded using thier technology).

Right???
sjmyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:13 AM   #371
bicker
Gruff

The entire device, including how it works, is what is approved by CableLabs. Not individual aspects of a device.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #372
PWJAX

I am looking into purchasing a HD DVR. I have a Mitsubishi Diamond WS-65909 HDTV. It uses Firewire for digital HD content. Otherwise I need to use component cables. Does the S3 output via firewire? I have noticed a considerable clarity difference between digital and analog input to the TV (it has a built in ATSC tuner).

Any help our suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
PWJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #373
windracer
joined the 10k club

There is no Firewire port on the S3. Does your display not have an HDMI port?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #374
ashu
User title defunct

Apparently Not!
(review link, dated 2002, to that mitsu TV. 64 Firewire sources supported!

Talk about obsolescence in overkill mode!

WOW - over 5 grand and it isn't even really an HDTV (at least I see no mention of HD resolutions on that first page). Wait - now I see it does 480P and 1080i. All 720P material is shown as 480P.

Time for a new 80lb 50" LCD/Plasma, perchance?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #375
wdave

I've searched the FAQs and I can't find where this info resides. Basically, I'm looking for a Series 2 Primer for a Series 1 owner. I have a S1 and a S3. I know there are all these cool features not yet enabled on my S3, and I'd like to read up on them to educate myself. The S3 FAQ lists them, but doesn't provide a link as to what they are. I can't find a S2 FAQ on this site. Many of the links in the OP in this thread are broken. And furthermore, for example, a search for "KidZone" on tivofaq.com provides no hits. I've run into multiple dead ends, it seems. A Tivo Glossary or TivoWikipedia would help.

So where do I find simple explanations of what Recently Deleted, One-Touch Delete, KidZone, TiVoCast, Multi-Room Viewing, TiVoToGo, and TiVoToComeBack are? (in detail if that info is available somewhere)

Thanks.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #376
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Easiest thing to do is just to skim the User Guides at TiVo .

Just pick the Dual Tuner model for instance, and look at the current service update guide and the home media features.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #377
ChrisMc73

Quote:
Like January 2007 late, I think, at this point.

I'm thinking maybe timed with CES, which is the second week of January.

With the holidays here, I don't think we'll see a release this year. And if 8.1 was about the ship, I don't know why 8.0.1c would've been pushed.
Meagazone,

Do you know what the plans are with Multi-Room Viewing, TiVoToGo, and TiVoToComeBack that are not supported? Will these ever be? Are they just working out issues? Licenses? etc...

I'd really like to get these features one day. I'm banking they will be available one day while I own my S3.
ChrisMc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #378
Razorbak

Quote:
What are the product highlights?

What are the main features of the Series3?

How does the Series3 compare to cable and satellite DVRs?

Is there an official TiVo Series3 FAQ?

What are the official specifications?
Several of the links in the first post on this thread produce the following error message "404 errors: page not found". Can you please update these? Thanks.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #379
sleepeeg3

Can I replace my cablebox with a S3? I have multiple wireless satellites boxes that are somehow linked to the Motorola DCT6200 set top box. I don't know if it's the cable card itself or some other broadcast. 'lil help!
sleepeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #380
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

What is correct?

I was reading my email from Tivo about the $199 lifetime transfer option for a new S3, and in the fine print, this appeared:

Quote:
Record from two basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once. Does not support recording from two digital cable or satellite channels at once.
Yet the reviews and FAQ's seem to contradict that. So if I get an S3 with 2 cable cards, am I able to record 2 digital cable channels at once or not?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #381
wdave

The email is incorrect. That comment applies to a Series 2. Looks like Tivo made a mistake creating the fine print for the email.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #382
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Ok, good! I was getting quite worried when I read that!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #383
breuman

OK, S3 output is 1080i. What if you have 1080p LCD? Any workaround to progressive or just SOL?
breuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #384
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by breuman
OK, S3 output is 1080i. What if you have 1080p LCD? Any workaround to progressive or just SOL?
Well, since nothing is broadcast in 1080p, I don't think it would be a big issue. Your 1080p set should except the 1080i input and de-interlace it to display 1080p.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #385
tgibbs

It's pretty unlikely that anybody will be broadcasting in 1080p anytime soon. In fact, some 1080p sets are not even capable of accepting a 1080p signal. So the key issue is that your set needs to be able to accept a 1080i signal and deinterlace it to 1080p.
tgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #386
ashu
User title defunct

Almost no current 1080p sets lack 1080p input capability. Some manufacturers DO limit the connector on which the capability is available, although most take it over component, HDMI (DVI) and VGA (D-SUB)

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #387
Heinrich

Why doesn't my series 3 show the name of the program being recorded OR the output format as the manual indicates? I only get a clock and LED dots
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #388
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich
Why doesn't my series 3 show the name of the program being recorded OR the output format as the manual indicates? I only get a clock and LED dots
If the TiVo is recording suggestions, the program names are not shown, just the LEDs. To see the output format, press the button below the display.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #389
Heinrich

Yes - suggestions are not displayed - Tivo Online Scheduling does not seem to be either but I will test further

thanks
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #390
blastoff

Comments about the S3

It is great to have 2 tuners. And the input switch on the remote is a nice touch. I would like to be able to re-assign the aspect button to use the aspect codes for my TV, though.

The S3 is slow, or at least slower than my old S1. What I'm talking about is the movement thru the guide, for example. The movements down, or page downs, occur more slowly than my old S1. It's just a little bit, but when you upgrade, you expect things to get better.

And it's not just slower, but sometimes while using the guide I lose the audio, and sometimes the video freezes. It's like it doesn't have enough processing power or memory and takes it from the background task. But the S1 didn't do that.

I read one person said that the S3 was quiet, but again, not for me. Or at least, it's not any quieter than my S1. When the TV is off and I'm just reading, it's very obvious there is something running.
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote