TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #241
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Specifications for CableCARD products require support for AC3 audio streams. We have found that there are numerous cable companies who either don't generate an AC3 track or the track they do generate contains blank audio. We have been working to notify the noncompliant providers as we find out who they are. We continue to advise them of this shortcoming if they are not responding, but there is only so much pressure we can apply.

In the meantime, we will be adding support for MPEG2 audio in our next major software release. Keep in mind that the Series3 DVR will still default to an AC3 track, if detected, even if that track only carries a blank audio stream. If your cable company continues to provide you service in this manner, it may be in your best interest to contact them directly. We are more than happy to point out that the specs call for a valid AC3 stream.

We had hoped our communications to the providers would've proved fruitful before now, hence the delay in posting this information. However, with everyone pointing their fingers in our direction, it's time we cleared things up. I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoJerry : 01-25-2007 at 04:54 PM.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #242
ashu
User title defunct

Yeah - that's telling it like it is, thanks Jerry!

In more curt fashion, from someone not bound to be polite to the cablecos - call and raise hell with them if they refuse to adjust this as required by the CableCard specs, and threaten to cancel (if you have an alternative)

Or give up on those channels if they're being unhelpful, and continue to add a blank AC3 stream! I'm sure the companies that produce those channels would love to hear how the cable company in your neighborhood is making it nigh impossible for folks with a high-end home theater gadget like an S3 to watch their channel! If you're the letter-writting, BBB/Consumer Affairs contacting type - get snapping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #243
slimoli

Just got an email from the Tivo Helpforum also confirming that the MPEG audio support will be implemented with the 8.1 software release. Great stuff!

Thank you Jerry.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #244
tazzmission

I have called my cable company probably 10 times about this issue. They have been very nice on the phone, but still refuse to do anything. I spoke to an Engineer and he knows this is an issue. My provider is Comcast.

And when is this 8.1 software going to be released? Every time I call TiVo they tell me in a month. Then that month comes and goes.
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #245
tazzmission

Got a call from Comcast asking me if I could explain my issue with no audio on one channel to then AGAIN. I was told that they would be in touch.

We will see what happens.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #246
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
We have been working to notify the noncompliant providers as we find out who they are.
Is Verizon Fios on your list? It seems no S3 users on Fios are getting sound on 81 or 496 nationally, or on some others on a more local basis. Is there any way to tell from the S3 whether this is the problem?

Quote:
In the meantime, we will be adding support for MPEG2 audio in our next major software release.
Good news. I don't suppose you could break it out into, say, 8.0.1d for faster release? Or is the next major release coming too soon for that to help?

Edit: Sorry for smeeking. I was pointed here from another thread. However, my questions stand.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-06-2007 at 11:36 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #247
generaltso

Take a look and see if you have a number for the Audio PID on those channels. If there's no number and it says "NOT AVAILABLE", then you have this problem. If there's a number there, your problem is probably being caused by something else.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #248
tazzmission

I got another call from Comcast yesterday asking me to check if I had sound on channel 163 (The channel I get no sound on).

Still no sound.

He said the engineers did something, but he has no idea what that something is.

Just updating this thread.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #249
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
Take a look and see if you have a number for the Audio PID on those channels. If there's no number and it says "NOT AVAILABLE", then you have this problem.
Yeah, that's what I get on the no-sound channels. But channel 71 (no audio or video) is apparently a different issue, as both streams have PIDs.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #250
yanasina

I got cable cards monday and just went through my channels and there are eleven that I get no sound from. I have Comcast cable and have not called them yet.
yanasina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #251
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanasina
I got cable cards monday and just went through my channels and there are eleven that I get no sound from. I have Comcast cable and have not called them yet.

Which channels do you have with no audio?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #252
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

If you have no audio or video, and the PCR & Video PIDs don't match, that's where we'd need to know the specifics per channel and who your provider, including local city)

If you just have no audio and the audio PID is NOT AVAILABLE, it means your provider is not following CableCARD spec by not generating an AC3 track, reverting to MPEG2 instead. We are adding support for MPEG2 in this scenario in the next software release but the provider should still be notified so they can generate an AC3 track properly.

If you have an audio PID but no audio, it means the provider is generating an AC3 track that does not contain audio. Even with the new software, the S3 will still detect the valid AC3 track. Your provider should be notified that it should generate audio for that blank track.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #253
Cloud

OK, I had no audio on 4 channels a few months ago... I just checked them again and I now have audio on every channel. They're all working now! I'm on Comcast here in the Burlington Vermont area.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #254
yanasina

I went through the channels and wrote down the numbers. What I have is video and no audio. I didn't check to see if I am not getting any channels I should be. I think they are the usual suspects plus a few more. (I also have a problem with Tivo UNchecking a few channels that are not giving program information. I have read on other posts about what seems to be the problem there. One of those I know is not listed on zap2it.com.) Before I do anything else, when I get time, I am going to reboot, redo guided setup and go through all the channels again to identify exactly what I am having problems with. Then I'll have to go back through this post and do the checking for PID and whatever that stuff is Unfortunately, I don't have the hours in the day to do that right now; hopefully I can do it by next weekend at the latest.

I'm a checkllist sort of gal, so at least now I can use TivoJerry's latest post to go through all this and see if i can identify what's up here.

Channels without sound: Biography, Fox Movie, IFC, CNBC World, History, G4, Speed, Soccer, Fox Reality(not on my cable company handout of channels, but may have been added), Word, and a sports channel that is not in my package, but that I can see somehow.

Ain't technology grand! (Well yes it is, but fiddling takes so much time)
yanasina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #255
slimoli

Biography,IFC,History (International) are also in my list. IFC is the only channel that does have a PID and according to Jerry will not work even with the new software. I understand the "blank AC3 track" issue but I have already spoken to my cable company and they say they can't do anything. After the new software is installed, I will try to convince the cable company to at least change the blank AC3 to a valid MPEG2 track.
They are working on this problem and they managed to fix 3 of my "no audio" channels: DIY,FUEL and FUSE ( they now have a valid AC3 track) but unfortunately not the ones I really care, like IFC.

After several conversations with the chief engineer I can now say they have 3 different situations as far as the audio is concerned:

-Most channels with BOTH Ac3 and MPEG tracks. No problem here.

-Few channels with MPEG only track. Should be OK after the new S3 software . BIO and HISTI are some of those channels.

-Few channels with AC3 and MPEG but the AC3 is mute. That's the case of my IFC and I hope I can convince the cableco to either send a valid AC3 or send only the MPEG.

Here is why the cable company will never change everything to AC3: There are many old cable boxes which simply don't work with AC3 and they can't eliminate the MPEG. My cable company (Atlantic Broadband) bought an old cableco with thousands of legacy cable boxes.

Sergio
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #256
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
If you have no audio or video, and the PCR & Video PIDs don't match, that's where we'd need to know the specifics per channel and who your provider, including local city)
Ah, yes... on my no video/no audio channel, I see:

PCR PID: 1618
Audio PID: 1616
Video PID: 1617

CNN Headline News
Channel 71
Verizon Fios TV (Washington Metro lineup)
Laurel, MD 20707

I hadn't noticed before, but all the other channels I checked match PCR and Video PIDs.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 02-09-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #257
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud
OK, I had no audio on 4 channels a few months ago... I just checked them again and I now have audio on every channel. They're all working now! I'm on Comcast here in the Burlington Vermont area.
Yup, Comcast in Vermont has finally switched the audio track on all the affected channels to AC3. Months of complaing has apparently paid off!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #258
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:

If you just have no audio and the audio PID is NOT AVAILABLE, it means your provider is not following CableCARD spec by not generating an AC3 track, reverting to MPEG2 instead. We are adding support for MPEG2 in this scenario in the next software release but the provider should still be notified so they can generate an AC3 track properly.

If you have an audio PID but no audio, it means the provider is generating an AC3 track that does not contain audio. Even with the new software, the S3 will still detect the valid AC3 track. Your provider should be notified that it should generate audio for that blank track.
Ack! I just discovered this is affected me after trying to watch Ninja Warrior. Where can this information be found (PIDs)? CableCard config screen?
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #259
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig_duggler
Ack! I just discovered this is affected me after trying to watch Ninja Warrior. Where can this information be found (PIDs)? CableCard config screen?
Tune to the affected channel and then go to TiVo Central> Messages & Settings> Account & System Information> Diagnostics.

This screen contains information for each tuner. If the affected channel is not listed as the current channel tuned on the first page, scroll down to the info for the second tuner. Go down even further to see three entries:
PCR PID
Audio PID
Video PID

Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #260
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
The software rollout to Series3 has begun.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #261
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I can confirm that my no-audio channels on Fios are fixed by the 8.1 update.

I still don't have CNN Headline News (now on channel 81 -- the rest of the info is the same).
Old 02-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #262
rdangel

S3 Problems like the rest of you

So I had problems with FIOS and Channel 71/520 CNNHN disappearing. They miraculously came back after 3 or 4 days and so far so good.

The one thing I cannot find resolution for is pixellation on HBOF, HBOFP, and 802, 804 and some other random channels. Not every channel gives me issues, just some of them. Tivo is of no help and Verizon is of even less help.
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #263
Cyclops

This is hysterical but I had the same problem-- no audio on IFC, etc. Then last Friday, Comcast updates the firmware on my cable cards. Trouble is, there's some bug in the system that prevents my cable cards from now picking up digital channels like IFC. So now there's no audio and no video for IFC, etc.

Then on Wednesday of this week I get 8.1.1. And yesterday Comcast had worked the problems out of the system so now I get IFC, etc. back.

And IFC. etc. now has audio too. So was it 8.1.1 or was it the cable card upgrade or was it something else Comcast did or was it tiny angels? Now I'll never know.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #264
rdangel

Problems have gone away

It looks like Verizon did an update of the channels and moved a bunch around.. Now nothing is pixellating and it looks great.

No problems now that I can see...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #265
slimoli

I now have audio on all channels with the exception of IFC,BIO and HISTI which have an AC3 blank track in front of the MPEG. TivoJerry had already explained that those would be the cases where the S3 loads the AC3 track instead of the MPEG . Clicking on the alternate track (MPEG) restores the audio but there is no way to make the MPEG audio "stick" after we change channels. I am very happy with the 8.1 and by no means consider this to be a S3 fault. Problem solved!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #266
rdangel

IFC, BIO and Hist channel all work fine for me. I guess I am lucky (for now)
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #267
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
I now have audio on all channels with the exception of IFC,BIO and HISTI which have an AC3 blank track in front of the MPEG. TivoJerry had already explained that those would be the cases where the S3 loads the AC3 track instead of the MPEG . Clicking on the alternate track (MPEG) restores the audio but there is no way to make the MPEG audio "stick" after we change channels. I am very happy with the 8.1 and by no means consider this to be a S3 fault. Problem solved!
Make sure you let TiVoJerry know about the blank AC3 tracks. Although it's not a TiVo problem, they were able to work with Comcast in my area to fix the problem.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #268
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
I still don't have CNN Headline News (now on channel 81 -- the rest of the info is the same).
It's working now (with matching video/PCR pids). My thanks to whoever is responsible.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #269
kd_cooke

8.1, still no audio...

I've had 8.1 a few days now, and I still do not get audio on one channel. Of course, it's one of my wife's favorites -- and so I hear about it almost daily...

Provider: Time Warner Cable

Cable Channel: 126 - National Geographic Channel

PCR PID: 72
Audio PID: 75
Video PID: 72

Upon further exploration I did find that changing the audio track from "1-MPEG" to "2-MPEG" gives me audio, but only if I don't change channels. Once I leave the channel I need to re-enter the info screen and reselect the second MPEG entry.

TiVoJerry PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by kd_cooke : 02-27-2007 at 11:09 PM.
kd_cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #270
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_cooke
TiVoJerry PLEASE HELP!
This sounds like a variation on what TiVoJerry said could happen with the update. The S3 needs to pick one track by default - but the one it's picking doesn't have any audio on it. Don't know why the cable company would configure things like that. You need to call your cable company and complain to them.

Quote:

Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote