Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #361
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndnkjns
I've been experiencing the exact same problem here in Phoenix and haven't been able to figure it out. Rebooting the box to watch TV is getting old. Cox points at Tivo and Tivo points at Cox. Frustrating.
I had the same problem for about the first week (Also Cox Phoenix). After that it settled down.

In the process of trouble shooting the problem I un-hooked the off-air antenna since most of the off-air stuff was duplicated in the cable lineup. No problems since.

My 2nd S3 was connected to off-air and analog cable with no cablecards. This Tivo did all kind of wierd things. The second tuner would randomly just show 'no signal' from cable or the antenna source. When tuner 2 was working it would intemittently show lines in the picture as well as strange color band in the analog picture. While troubleshooting the problem with Tivo on the phone we managed to get both tuners 'stuck' on a channel. The banner would change, but the picture was stuck on whatever channel it was displaying.

It would have been funny if this wasn't such an expensive toy . Tivo is exchanging this box and as far as I know the replacement is on the way. Here's hoping for a referb with an orange display .
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #362
fredr1

I have Cox San Diego and per my note above was unable to recieve some radio simulcast channels that come packaged with digital music on either card (in addition to missing audio on a couple of "lower" digital channels like Discovery Health and some local access channels). All of those channels worked fine with the converter box and the odds of 2 cards being bad for exactly the same channels are pretty dang slim. The tech really knew what he was doing and did everything including checking signal strength, adding a booster, and running a cable directly from the street box a couple doors down into my Tivo. Nothing fixed the problem and ultimately it looks like the problem is on the Tivo decoding side. This is similar to another forum here about missing audio from 4 channels. HOpefully software update 8.1 (if/when it's released!) will fix the problem! I'm calling Tivo this week just to register the problem.

Fred
fredr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #363
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I don't know. I think cablecards just require more work on the back end ot get setup correctly vs a STB. I have a co-worker who gave up on cablecard in his TV for the exact same problems many of us are reporting with our S3s (missing channels etc).

I concider myself lucky because for the most part my S3 with SA cablecards hasn't sneezed. I notice when surfing that'll I'll sometimes get a grey screen when changing channels fast. a quick channel up/down brings the channel right back in.

I have yet to miss a recording due to a cablecard problem.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #364
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
I don't know. I think cablecards just require more work on the back end ot get setup correctly vs a STB. I have a co-worker who gave up on cablecard in his TV for the exact same problems many of us are reporting with our S3s (missing channels etc).

I concider myself lucky because for the most part my S3 with SA cablecards hasn't sneezed. I notice when surfing that'll I'll sometimes get a grey screen when changing channels fast. a quick channel up/down brings the channel right back in.

I have yet to miss a recording due to a cablecard problem.
Cablecards are definitely more work on the back end. I found out yesterday that I was suppose to get all the HD channels (the in the clear QAM and the encrypted stuff like ESPNHD). This is my first time with Cox and I didn't know the HD "tier" was free with digital cable. Apparently my cards hadn't been properly provisioned during install. So a tech had to do something on his end to fix it.

I would feel bad for the cable companies having something that requires so much manual intervention if it weren't for the fact that they designed the system, so it's their own fault it's so much work.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #365
steelio

I think the cable companies just want to fight it to fight it. I mean they should be embracing this. I would have gone to DTV or Dish or something else if I could not get these cable cards.

I mean they wanted $50 per card to install them. that is $100 for my TiVo and for what!?! it really only took the guy like 10 mins or less to get it done. It took that long for the Tivo to boot up. I am paying for their training basically. And I refuse to do that!
steelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #366
gwar9999

Santa Barbara Cox price gouging

I had called Cox in Santa Barbara today to inquire about obtaining CableCards before I went ahead and ordered a Tivo S3. I explained that I would need 2 CableCards and the person I spoke with insisted the install would be exactly $59.99 for both. I had him clarify repeatedly. I then placed my Tivo order and called Cox back. The next guy I spoke with claimed it would be a staggering $120 for the install for the 2 cards. I explained that I was quoted $60 by the earlier guy. He pulled up the record of my earlier called and transferred me to the person I spoke with earlier. All of a sudden this guy pleads ignorance and after actually checking the cost it's magically $120. I'm waiting for a return call from a supervisor which should be enlightening. Does anybody have any experience with dealing w/ Cox regarding price quotes and their consistent gouging?

Rant mode:

In the past I haven't been able to accomplish anything with these Cox clowns who claim to be digital experts yet won't even support a digital connection to my TV (that is, they refuse to support HDMI from their supplied DVR which has HDCP issues with an A/V receiver in the middle-- they will only support component video aka analog). Digital Max? Please, more like Analog Max (or better yet, Anal Max). Given the fact that Cox has a monopoly of Santa Barbara cable and the satellite companies do not offer local HD channels the consumer is screwed courtesy of Anal Max, ouch. I'm starting to regret ordering the S3. I guess I can return it and defect to satellite because I think I can live without local HD channels knowing that I'm not giving Cox another $120.

FWIW, I called Tivo and the rep I spoke with said $120 is by far the highest amount he's heard of for 2 CableCards to be installed.
gwar9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #367
steelio

Ok I have a slight problem now.
I got the cards "installed" last friday. They got them done for the most part then they(Cox)
ran into a snag and left without the Tivo working. Said they would call and let me fool with it for a while. (I really dont see why a user can not install these things)
Well i got them working and that part is fine. But the channel line up is the thing that is messing me up. I uncheck the channels I do not get. Which is basically all the digital channels but the HD stuff. But then they magically show back up. So when I go to the guide from 601(begin of the HD) I should see 70 on the same screen, but no I see channels 300's the premiums stay off.
Any clues?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #368
JPinAZ
Dead money

I guess I got lucky. When I called for my install, I was told that I'd have an install charge for each card (50 X 2). Checking my account online only shows one charge though. I'll have to see what shows up on the paper bill.
JPinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #369
fzz

S3 + digital music = no worky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr1
I have Cox San Diego and per my note above was unable to recieve some radio simulcast channels that come packaged with digital music on either card (in addition to missing audio on a couple of "lower" digital channels like Discovery Health and some local access channels). All of those channels worked fine with the converter box and the odds of 2 cards being bad for exactly the same channels are pretty dang slim. ... Nothing fixed the problem and ultimately it looks like the problem is on the Tivo decoding side. This is similar to another forum here about missing audio from 4 channels. HOpefully software update 8.1 (if/when it's released!) will fix the problem! I'm calling Tivo this week just to register the problem.
Fred
The odds of it being Cable Cards drops even lower when two people on opposite sides of the country are having the same problems after almost 1/2 dozen card swap outs. Thanks for the info Fred. I'll call Tivo to register the problem as well. Maybe they'll escalate it.
fzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #370
VicV_1

I just finished setting up my new Series 3 box. The cable guy from Cox Cleveland is arriving in the morning to install the cable cards. They are $1.99 apeice and $40 for the install. Hope everything goes well with the install. There is so much less clutter from the Series 2 to the Series 3. My TV cabinet can breath now . I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
VicV_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #371
VicV_1

Cox cable guy got here about 11:30am to install cable cards. What a nightmare he had doing it. First time install for him. He was playing around with it for 4hrs then finally got them to work. I'm glad I dont have to pay him by the hour. A lot of kinks have to be worked out with this new technoligy. I'm very happy with the Series 3 . It was worth the hassle. I'm ready to upgrade my account now.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #372
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicV_1
A lot of kinks have to be worked out with this new technoligy.
It's not so much the "kinks" but rather the lack of training given to the cable reps.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #373
Armyman

8 cards

Well it eventually took 8 cards to get my S3 up and running.

The first install I could get most of my HD channels, but not all, no digital channels, and almost no analogue channels. COX Tech tells me I need a signal booster/amplifier. So I go to signal strength meter on the S3 for a channel I should be receiving but it blank. Signal strength is great, about 97.
Tech leaves after trying 2 sets of cards.

New tech shows up for next appointment. This guy had done several S3s, including one double set up and says he has had a lot of problems with the cards.
His first set has the same problem. 2nd set he tries finally gives me all the channels-HD, digital, analogue.

Worst part was having to redo setup after every card change. That was the ultimate time sink.

Paul
Armyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #374
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I think your 'analog channel' problem is actually a digital simulcast problem. I'd put money on the cards re-directing you to the digital simulcast but your cards aren't authorized for 'em.

I got my exchange for S3 #2 back from Tivo and hooked it up and was dumbfounded why the analog chanels looked so much worse on the new box (no cablecards) vs my 1st S3 that does have cablecards. It turns out that I was comparing the digital simulcast to the analog offering. The difference is night and day.

I think I'm going to have to either do OTA only or spend another $11/mo to get cablecards in this second box.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #375
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman
Well it eventually took 8 cards to get my S3 up and running.

The first install I could get most of my HD channels, but not all, no digital channels, and almost no analogue channels. COX Tech tells me I need a signal booster/amplifier. So I go to signal strength meter on the S3 for a channel I should be receiving but it blank. Signal strength is great, about 97.
Tech leaves after trying 2 sets of cards.

New tech shows up for next appointment. This guy had done several S3s, including one double set up and says he has had a lot of problems with the cards.
His first set has the same problem. 2nd set he tries finally gives me all the channels-HD, digital, analogue.

Worst part was having to redo setup after every card change. That was the ultimate time sink.

Paul
It is my belief that most of the cable card problems are not bad cards, but rather the cable company is not provisioning them correctly at the head end.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #376
gwar9999

Pleasantly surprised

I am usually a Cox cynic (see my earlier rant) however the Cox technician who installed the 2 CableCards in my S3 surpassed my expectations. He actually knew what he was doing this being his 7th S3 install. When he arrived he asked if I had activated the unit yet, which I hadn't. He said I should do it since it will be required when installing the CableCards. If you have a dialup or slow net connection it's best to do this in advance of the tech arriving. This wasn't a problem for me since my broadband connection is speedy and probably only added a few minutes to his install time. He was in my home for slightly over an hour and neither CableCard showed any signs of failure as others have reported.

The only glitch that I occasionally notice is that when surfing to a channel it sometimes shows an all gray screen for a few seconds-- If I switch to another channel and then back then things behave normally. I think others have reported this issue as well. It's a small price to pay considering the SA 8300HD DVR that Cox supplied was so incredibly buggy and annoying that I can certainly live with 1 hiccup that the Tivo might have (although I don't know if it's a Tivo issue or a Cox issue as of yet).
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #377
VicV_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman
It's not so much the "kinks" but rather the lack of training given to the cable reps.
I did ask the tech if he had any training and his answer was no. It's Cox's fault for not training these guys when new technology comes around. It should be like that in any business.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #378
gwar9999

Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicV_1
I did ask the tech if he had any training and his answer was no. It's Cox's fault for not training these guys when new technology comes around. It should be like that in any business.

When I was talking to the tech that installed my CableCards I mentioned that Cox techs in other areas were having issues w/ installing Tivo S3's (trying as many as 8 cards and taking over 4 hours and repeat service calls in some cases) and he said that Cox did not provide any training for Tivo installations. That isn't much of a surprise considering they would prefer that you used their piece of crap DVR over a Tivo any day (since they make more money from leasing it than the CableCards).

When I called to replace my SA 8300HD DVR w/ the CableCards the first salesperson had enough nerve to even suggest that their DVR was superior to Tivo and spent several minutes explaining the many awesome features and wondered how I could be making such a grave mistake. Needless to say, if the execs at Cox actually felt the same way, they certainly would not have struck a deal to license Tivo for their set-top boxes.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #379
Armyman

Shawn,

You might be correct. I was supposedly on digital service, but it seems that I wasn't getting any digital channels, but was getting what looked like analogue channels- looked pretty poor.
But all is fixed not. Until the next time!

Paul
Armyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #380
allyn

cox san diego north county

had the easiest cablecard installation ever this morning. depsite having requested two cablecards, the tech arrived with one but he had another in his truck. he'd never done a tivo before so i showed him the directions.

anyway, everything worked perfectly the first time. he made several calls to the dispatcher (or whatever) as we did everthing slowly and carefully and they insisted on writing down the model of tv i had (!) but the whole thing took less than an hour. encrypted channels like INHD worked perfectly and i am getting all HD channels.

so far so good.
allyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #381
steelio

Does anyone know why I have to reset the channels I receive in my TiVo? Sometimes 2 times a day and sometimes every other day? I tell the tivo that I do not get the Hispanic channels or any other channels but they keep showing up.
Any clues?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #382
beaubreeden

Cox in Baton Rouge, LA here. Just ordered my Tivo series 3. Cox is charging me a $54 install fee and $1.99 a month for each cable card. Anyone have a way to lower the install rate? The STB was only costing me $6.99 a month.
beaubreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #383
steelio

$54 for both cards?
I finally talked them down to $35 for each card.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 PM   #384
joatnm

Thumbs down Freezing/Pixelating Picture and sound

I have cox and they have been terrible here in VA. I get random pixelations and screen freezes with accomanying loss of sound. The guy who installed the cards said he didn't know what he was doing and had never done an install before and the next guy charged me $40 to put in an amp and I still have the same problem. Does anyone else have this difficulty with their picture?
joatnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #385
beaubreeden

Had my install for Cox, Baton Rouge, LA today.

Cox tech showed up today to install two cable cards in my S3. I knew I was going to have problem when I saw the look on his face when I told him it was for a TiVo, and not two cable card enabled TVs. He wasn't sure if the TiVo was "Cox certified" even after assuring him that it had passed CableLabs cert program. After ten minutes of talking with his supervisor, he came to the conclusion that since it had the slots, it must be ok.

The next 10 minutes came as a sales pitch, i.e. why I should not install the S3, but go with the Cox DVR instead. I finally told him that after $799 for the unit, plus another $299 for the subscription, that he just needed to bite me and install the cards.

I gave him the installers instruction sheet that came with the S3. He looked at it for a few seconds then discarded it. I asked how many CableCard installs he had done in the past. He said this was his first. Back on the phone he went for another 20 minutes as he tried to convince another tech in the area to come by and show him how its done. After no one was able to/interested in doing so, he finally decided to give it a try.

First card was installed, then he "emailed" the information to the dispatcher. Apparently, they don't give the tech's cell phones to call in to dispatch, only Nextel two way communications (I didn't know you could disable the phone feature in those?). Another 30 minutes went by before he decided no one had checked his email, and he better call in to dispatch...so he used my phone to do it.

Dispatch put the numbers in, and said the pairing failed. Another hour of trying this, and I suggested he give the other card a shot. It worked within the first 5 minutes. The tech didn't have a third card on hand, and it was past quitting time for him, so he scheduled for a follow up technician to come between 10a-12p on Sat.

So for now, I'm stuck with one tuner, but only for a few hours!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 AM   #386
beaubreeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelio
$54 for both cards?
I finally talked them down to $35 for each card.
$54 total, not for each. Since its taking two days (or more) to do the install, and I had to basically talk the tech through how to do it, I'm going to ask for a partial refund.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #387
Mathmn

Cox doesn't know Jack!

Would you believe that when my cox cablecard installer arrived, he didn't know how to activate the cards. He got a supervisor on the phone. This person told me that cable cards could not work in a TiVo and that Cox was active in acquiring special "TiVo cablecards". I politely told him he was absolutely wrong. I then contacted technical support, read the ID numbers of the cards from the screen display, and the cards worked immediately. This cost me $34.95.

By the way, cable cards from Cox in Phoenix cost only $2.00 each, and they work perfectly. The picture is awesome and the sound is dynamic.
Mathmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #388
gwar9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubreeden

The next 10 minutes came as a sales pitch, i.e. why I should not install the S3, but go with the Cox DVR instead. I finally told him that after $799 for the unit, plus another $299 for the subscription, that he just needed to bite me and install the cards.
Cox tries to talk most out of their awesome DVR. You'd be making an enormous mistake if you fell for their pitch. FWIW, if Cox really felt that they had a decent DVR (let alone the piece of crap they provide) then they never would've entered into a licensing agreement with Tivo!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #389
gwsat

If you consider only the economics in choosing between an S3 and a Cox owned box, the Cox box wins hands down, it seems to me. Thus, the Cox sales pitch has some merit. It doesn’t take long to figure out that the dollar difference between a no-risk rental of a Cox box for less than $10 a month and the nearly $1,000 it takes to buy an S3 and a TiVo subscription is HUGE.

That said, you get what you pay for and the S3 is vastly superior to any cable company’s DVR. That’s why so many of us, me included, have overlooked economics and bought an S3 anyway.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #390
beaubreeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
If you consider only the economics in choosing between an S3 and a Cox owned box, the Cox box wins hands down, it seems to me. Thus, the Cox sales pitch has some merit. It doesn’t take long to figure out that the dollar difference between a no-risk rental of a Cox box for less than $10 a month and the nearly $1,000 it takes to buy an S3 and a TiVo subscription is HUGE.
I agree with you on that part. However, after dropping more than a grand on my new equipment, I don't think it would be economical to decide against it at the last moment and rent the DVR box... put my S3 in the hallway closet for storage (blasphemy!!!)