Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM   #331
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benallenuk
OK, I changed it all at the bottom of rc.sysinit, moving the rc.sysinit.author IF statement to the bottom, this caused my Tivo to hang on 'almost there'. I had to pull the drive and undo what i did using a bootcd as didnt have telnet access.

I have deleted the gotomydvr comments from .author, and have put right at the bottom of rc.sysinit .

It now works.

Cheers
The IF-THEN should never cause a problem, unless you had a syntax error or managed to get some ^M characters in there; you might want to double check that (carefully) as there is nothing inherently wrong with using a conditional anywhere in the startup files.

Good that you ultimately got it working. Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #332
fsck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Thx for the feedback; a few thoughts and comments:

1) the bandwidth of your connection won't (shouldn't) make a difference unless there is a problem or bottleneck on our server. latency is the issue and i'd suggest that its not related to the latency of your network connection, but the speed at which your client returns the information; ie - unfortunately, TiVoWebPlus runs slowly in some implementations and that is a problem - would be great to have a lighter weight / faster version of TiVoWebPlus or an alternative http-based interface that was a little less clunky in this scenario

2) 'simply' using different ports is exactly what we were trying to eliminate with gotomydvr. the idea was to design and deploy a solution which required ZERO knowledge of ones home network to utilize. this is now beyond the concept stage as we've begun to embed the gotomydvr client in select kits and products, which means installation of the client (ie knowledge of your TiVo IP address is not necessary) no longer requires any technical ability, nor does one ever need to touch their router

3) as fofer said, its inherently more secure. to add to that, even if you argue that one can securely configure multiple TiVo units (albeit a more technical process) using a port forwarding scheme, it means you need to have administrative access to the router, and that leads to other security issues.

I do understand what you are saying, though -- personally, I think the *issue* is performance. With the newer version of TiVoWebPlus, I think there is some promise there. 6.2 and 6.3 are definitely better than older versions of the software. Series1 units with CacheCards are definitely peppy But still, TiVoWebPlus is a monster of an app to run on these units, either remotely or non-remotely - its a great app though. I do think there is room for something lighter-weight, and more conducive to say, a true mobile device and that would play well with gotomydvr.

So, to point out, we are well beyond the concept phase wrt to the TiVo platform here. There are over 1000 users registered and about 700 TiVo units registered with the site now and we are seeing decent activity. Thats good. The real concept here is to extend beyond the TiVoWebPlus world, though -- either to another http-based management interface (anyone game for that?) or even a new platform altogether; I think *that* would be cool.

Happy New Year!
Thanks for taking the time to address my comments. You're absolutely right in that it is a much more transparent and easier approach for most users; I realize TivoWebPlus is mostly the cause of the latency many of us seem to experience, which is why I look forward to testing it again on my Tivos once TivoWebPlus 1.4 leaves beta stage (I hear it is a lot faster than the present releases); from what I have been reading, 1.4 will mark the beginning of this transition towards the more mobile, less bloated approach you mention.
fsck! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #333
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Cool H*ttp error code 400

I am running an HDVR2. 6.2, Zippered and enhanced with rbautch's script. I am able to access my boxes via the internet through XP remote desktop and via orenosp. My ISP is Hughesnet and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

I got the error "Bad H*TTP response: H*TTP/1.0 400 Bad Request" when tring to run the b_install.sh script. So, I modified the script to use wget and everything installed correctly. When trying to run rc.gotomydvr I get:

Bad H*TTP response: H*TTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
*** No response from connection server ***

I checked my router settings, etc and don't see anything that should interfere. The fact that I can access via the other methods makes me believe my network is okay.

Accessing through remote desktop and orenosp use a PC to interface to the web. h*ttp_get goes directly. I am guessing wget goes directly, also.

What am I missing? Is in something in my Tivos, modem router?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(The * in H*TTP was necessary so they weren't recognized as links.)
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #334
likesjx

Login from Select Tivo PAGE

I am sure I am just a dumb novice but when I click on a TiVo to "go to" it asks for authentication. I am unsure what I am authenticating against.

Also, is there a way to uninstall as well?
likesjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #335
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by likesjx
I am sure I am just a dumb novice but when I click on a TiVo to "go to" it asks for authentication. I am unsure what I am authenticating against.

Also, is there a way to uninstall as well?
Are you sure that isn't TiVoWebPlus on YOUR TiVo asking you for the username and password?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #336
likesjx

I don't need to login to TiVoWebPlus when I am on my local network. I suppose it could be my router (linksys-g) that is prompting me... but I tried that password and it didn't seem to work.

It says, "Server gotomydvr*com at TivoWebPlus v.1.3.1 requires a username/password"

Using IE7/Vista...
likesjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #337
slydog75
Not all that sly

Quote:
I don't need to login to TiVoWebPlus when I am on my local network. I suppose it could be my router (linksys-g) that is prompting me... but I tried that password and it didn't seem to work.

It says, "Server gotomydvr*com at TivoWebPlus v.1.3.1 requires a username/password"

Using IE7/Vista...
TWP version 1.3.0 and above can have different authentication requirements depending on if you are accessing it from within or without your LAN.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Mark Twain
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #338
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

birds of a feather

Will any of you folks be at CES next week?

I will be there all week, and if there are any users of the site that will be around during the week and want to meet for a brief discussion, please PM me and we'll coordinate a meeting place and time. My thought is just to have an open discussion about the usefullness / uselessness of what you've been exposed to so far, and talk a bit about the direction of things.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #339
TimTrace
Join the TiVolution!

Wow, I can't believe I missed this until just now.

Installed PERFECTLY on 3 HDVR2.

What will this cost once it leaves beta?
  • HDVR2 v6.2 @ 220 hours
TimTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #340
slydog75
Not all that sly

Just thought I should jump in here quick and let everyone know that for whatever reason, wget (the service used to download te remote access tool) does not work over HughesNet satellite service. I tried for a couple of weeks to get it to work. Then a few weeks ago I switched to DSL when it finally became available and without touching anything else, it worked instantly.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Mark Twain
Old 01-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #341
macgyver70

Quote:

Using IE7/Vista...
You need to set user name and password in your TivoWebPlus/tivoweb.cfg file using hackman edit a file. Read header at top of TivoWebPlus/tivoweb.cfg file
macgyver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #342
macgyver70

Anyone know why in order for gotomydvr to work I have to open telent and run /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr & also have to leave telnet open or gotomydvr says tivo disconected? this is in my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file

# Connect to the gotomydvr server:
if [ -f /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr ]; then
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
fi

I have rebooted tivo since installed
macgyver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #343
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Hughesnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
Just thought I should jump in here quick and let everyone know that for whatever reason, wget (the service used to download te remote access tool) does not work over HughesNet satellite service. I tried for a couple of weeks to get it to work. Then a few weeks ago I switched to DSL when it finally became available and without touching anything else, it worked instantly.
Actually, wget works fine over Hughesnet. It is h*ttp_get that has a problem. I have been researching it and have been led to believe that it has something to do with the latency of satellite transmissions.

I don't know if that is accurate, as I have seen latency values with my Cox service in the city that far exceed those I see in the country with Hughesnet.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #344
slydog75
Not all that sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh
Actually, wget works fine over Hughesnet. It is h*ttp_get that has a problem. I have been researching it and have been led to believe that it has something to do with the latency of satellite transmissions.

I don't know if that is accurate, as I have seen latency values with my Cox service in the city that far exceed those I see in the country with Hughesnet.
ahh yes, sorry.. Whichever one the 'gotomydvr' install script uses! OASN, you've seen Cox Cable latencies in the 1200ms?

Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #345
1Dave1

Well I WAS able to access my TWP (ver 1.3.1) via the network BEFORE I installed the gotomydvr client.

I followed the directions completely and have searched and searched for the answer.

this is the error I now get:

DTivoIP44:/$ cd ../gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: TCP forward failed: Error listeni
ng: Address already in use

/gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Failed local port forward 7:127.0.0.1:7

I have verizon dsl and there crappy Westell 327w modem/router

I have read that port 80 is blocked by verizon and its pretty much impossable to do any port forwarding via the router due to its lack of user friendly menus.

If ANYONE has this problem or uses verizon or even the westell 327w router PLEASE respond. I found that calling verizon OR westell is a TOTAL waste of time and energy.

Thanks! Dave
1Dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #346
1Dave1

Exclamation

one more item. I rem's out the commands in rc.sysinit.author to stop the gotomydvr client from starting.

When I try to start TWP (as I normally did) I get the following: [1] 308 or a different number

IF I try it again I get : [2] 339 [1] Done tivoweb

I kinda feel as if the ip tables are now broken. ANY IDEAS???

I CAN still ftp into the tivo via teraterm

Also I search for info concerning UNINSTALLING the gotomydvr client, bit found nothing. IS there an uninstall proceedure that will restore the changes made?

thanks again! Dave
Old 01-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #347
ForrestB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dave1
Well I WAS able to access my TWP (ver 1.3.1) via the network BEFORE I installed the gotomydvr client.

I followed the directions completely and have searched and searched for the answer.

this is the error I now get:

DTivoIP44:/$ cd ../gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: TCP forward failed: Error listeni
ng: Address already in use

/gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Failed local port forward 7:127.0.0.1:7

I have verizon dsl and there crappy Westell 327w modem/router

I have read that port 80 is blocked by verizon and its pretty much impossable to do any port forwarding via the router due to its lack of user friendly menus.

If ANYONE has this problem or uses verizon or even the westell 327w router PLEASE respond. I found that calling verizon OR westell is a TOTAL waste of time and energy.

Thanks! Dave

I have Verizon DSL along with the excellent Westell 327W DSL Gateway and have had no problems accessing my Tivo's remotely thru www.gotomydvr.com. I didn't change the Westell 327W configuration and I'm running TWP 1.2.1 on both of my zippered Tivo's (1 wired and 1 connected wirlessly thru a Zyxel 802.11g bridge).
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #348
1Dave1

ForestB, How exactly is your network configured? I have nothing fancy and I'm actually using the DHCP on the 327w for my network, I set its ip to 192.168.1.1 so that should not cause any problems.

I reworked this DTivo well over a year ago with the basic fixes and am running TWP v1.3.1 At this point I can not even access TWP in this tivo but can still FTP into it without any issues.

I still feel like that the gotomydvr client somehow "trashed" the ip tables, at least that the only answer I have come to as thus far.

thanks, Dave
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #349
DougF

Just added this for my Series 1 DTiVo and it works great! Hoping to add to my Series 2 DTiVos this weekend.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #350
ForrestB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dave1
ForestB, How exactly is your network configured? I have nothing fancy and I'm actually using the DHCP on the 327w for my network, I set its ip to 192.168.1.1 so that should not cause any problems.

I reworked this DTivo well over a year ago with the basic fixes and am running TWP v1.3.1 At this point I can not even access TWP in this tivo but can still FTP into it without any issues.

I still feel like that the gotomydvr client somehow "trashed" the ip tables, at least that the only answer I have come to as thus far.

thanks, Dave
My network is setup identically to yours. Have you tried rebooting the router and Tivo's?
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #351
1Dave1

Yes, Rebooted EVERYTHING. Also checked the rc.sysinit.author file. The only thing that changed was the addition of the client commands at the end of the file.

It's probably something simple or stupid but its really becomming a headache as I can still FTP into the tivo but TWP fails as does the gotomydvr.

This is the responce I now get when I try to start TWP:

IP44:/var/hack/TivoWebPlus$ tivoweb
Warning: An http server was already running
Warning: The last few sessions did not complete successfully
We may be in a reboot loop... aborting
[1]+ Done tivoweb
IP44:/var/hack/TivoWebPlus$

Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #352
1Dave1

I removed TWP and reinstall it, it is now once again working but the gotomydvr client STILL has the SAME issues and error messages.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #353
bradnic

works great with TWP 1.3.1 and 2.0 on several Philips 6.2 Dtivos

smooth install, no problems at all setting up on 5 'caked s2 dtivos. nice work! smooth install is key to making this service successful..

only 1 hiccup - on 1 of my tivos the tivoweb user/pass combo I setup didn't work from gotomydvr.cm initially. working fine now, unsure why ;-)

good luck with this service! it clearly has value in (1) not forcing users to mess with port forwarding on their home routers (2) encrypted access to the home.

Last edited by bradnic : 01-17-2007 at 11:36 PM.
bradnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #354
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

1Dave1 --- the problem you are experiencing is with TiVoWebPlus (not gotomydvr); try removing the log files (rm -rf /var/log/*tivoweb.log) on your system and then restart TiVoWebPlus

bradnic --- remember, we (DVRupgrade) have no direct control to your TiVoWebPlus configuration; take a look in tivoweb.cfg file and you'll see that you probably have a username/password setup in there for accesses to TiVoWebPlus from OUTSIDE your LAn...

Old 01-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #355
texster

telnet commands

Lou -

Great program. Installed on two huges sd's without a hitch.

For the first unit, I followed the telnet commands shown at the beginning of this post, ending with:
Quote:
sync; reboot &
For the second unit I followed the telnet commands from the website, ending with:
Quote:
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
They both worked, but the second one (from the webiste) didn't require a reboot -which is nice.
texster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #356
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Glad it all worked for you. When you exited your telnet session on the 2nd unit, did the process continue to run?

FYI - PTVnet kits and software tools now contain the client, so if you've recently upgraded your system using either of them, all you have to do is register with the site, restart your unit and you'll have access to the service.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:44 AM   #357
texster

Arrow

Thanks for the quick reply Lou.

In fact, as I realized later, the process did not continue on the 2nd unit after ending telnet. I reinstalled w/ "sync; reboot &" and was good to go.

My third tivo is a Series 2 Standalone (TCD24A) running 8.1 tivo software. Your http get download worked as far getting rid of the segement fault and getting the client onto the unit. But beyond that .... no dice.

Should I conclude that the 8.x software is not compatible? I would be happy to let you telnet in to see what's going on.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #358
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texster
Thanks for the quick reply Lou.

In fact, as I realized later, the process did not continue on the 2nd unit after ending telnet. I reinstalled w/ "sync; reboot &" and was good to go.

My third tivo is a Series 2 Standalone (TCD24A) running 8.1 tivo software. Your http get download worked as far getting rid of the segement fault and getting the client onto the unit. But beyond that .... no dice.

Should I conclude that the 8.x software is not compatible? I would be happy to let you telnet in to see what's going on.
I wouldn't draw a conclusion like that unless you've got a bit more data to support it. I'd be happy to poke around if you can provide the access (PM me with the details and I'll try to take a look today)... Thx

Old 01-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #359
texster

Standalone w 8.1 + gotomydvr = Success

Apparently the error occurred between my keyboard and my chair.
Works great!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #360
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texster
Apparently the error occurred between my keyboard and my chair.
Works great!
Not exactly sure *what* the problem was. For those interested in a little more detail, it looked like the client, or components of it, had been started multiple times. In retrospect, a reboot of the unit probably would have solve the problem, but contrary to popular belief, that is rarely the solution... In any case, I did poke around, and things looked good after killing/restarting things.

So, happy to say, that if you've managed to hack your Series2 Standalone, the gotomydvr stuff definitely works!