TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
smarsh

Arrow My S3 Is Changing the Video Output Format

Has anyone else had Tivo change their video output format?

I have a new Series 3, a Panasonic 50 inch plasma, and a Yamaha RX-v2700 receiver. The plasma can handle all video formats, so I set the Tivo video output format to Native. Great picture. Once I turn the TV and receiver off, the next time I turn it all on again, the Tivo has switched video output format to 720P Fixed.

When certain shows are displaying with 720P, I see those aggravating white lines at the top of the screen (based on other posts, thats from the closed captioning signal). They don't show when I switch back to Native. But, of course, next time I turn TV back on, Tivo has switched me to 720P again.

I'm connected from Tivo to Receiver to Plasma, all with HDMI cables.

Help!
smarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
moyekj

Haven't experienced that issue but doesn't sound good at all - I don't have a TV capable of supporting all input types so I'm forced to use 1080i fixed right now, but plan to upgrade to a newer TV supporting all input types sometime soon. Just out of curiosity have you tried connecting via component (and disconnecting HDMI) to see if the same thing happens? HDMI tends to cause a lot more handshaking problems compared to component. If it doesn't happen with component connection then at least that isolates the problem to being HDMI related.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
DeathRider

Are you getting a better pic with the S3 on fixed resolution, or with native?

Even if your plasma can handle all signals, what isthe native resolution of your TV?

I'm just wondering. Even if your TV can support all resolutions, it still takes the incoming signal and rescales it to it's native.

So, it depends on which device has better hardware/software to accomplish the rescaling.

I set my S3 to 720 fixed. Seems to work bettter than native. When I leave it on native, the screen goes all wacky as it changes resolutions. I think it's the TiVo, because it doesn't happen when I use the QAM tuner on the TV. S3 is connected w/HDMI.

Of course, I have that cheap Westinghouse 32" LCD I got on Black Friday from Best Buy...

I did try it on my S3. Seems to keep the settings when turning the TV off and on - changed it to Native first.
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
smarsh

I have not tired it with component cables. I definitely get a better picture through native as opposed to 720P, especially since those nagging static lines show up on 720P.
smarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
When I leave it on native, the screen goes all wacky as it changes resolutions. I think it's the TiVo, because it doesn't happen when I use the QAM tuner on the TV. S3 is connected w/HDMI.
It's the TV (not Tivo) that goes wacky when adjusting to a different input resolution. When using Native mode the resolution can switch a lot - when bringing up Tivo menus it goes 720p, SD channel tuning->480i, HD channel tuning can be either 720p or 1080i etc. That's why Native can be quite annoying to use especially for a TV that doesn't react very nicely to resolution changes.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #6
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsh
:
Does this happen if you connect the Tivo directly to the TV (w/ HDMI), instead of through the receiver? It could be the Tivo is getting confused about the prefered output format of your HDMI device.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
ashu
User title defunct

Yeah, perhaps the Yammie (nice one, by the way, I'm considering it's baby brother, the 6090, to replace my HDMI-incapable 5790) is sending mixed messages, or falling back to a 'safe' HD mode during negotiation.

My 5x1 monoPrice.com HDMI switch keeps the HDMI negotiated and ready to switch for most input sources (for some reason, the Moto 6412 renegotiates every time I switch to it's input) - so perhaps the Yamaha is doing the same thing, but with a fallback to 720?

And I'll second what others have suggested - test this with the S3 directly connected to the TV. Try all power on/off and cable disconnection scenarios.

It's just an unfortunate truth that not all CE manufacturers write a completely compliant HDMI implementation, negotiation/keepalive strategy etc.
Side note - my S3 and the Sony PS3 are the only ones that behave as expected when connected to my (noname) Sceptre LCD HDTV, through my 5x1 HDMI switch. The Moto 6412 and the Dish 811 I had before - not so much! Occasional reboots are needed to fix odd modes/lack of synch situations.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
cbstv

resolution changes on mine too!

I have my tivo s3 centrally located, with the hdmi output feeding a gefen distribution amp (splitter), feeding the tv locations. Sometimes, when I watch this unit on any of the tvs, the video output resolution is not what I set it at a day or 2 earlier (I keep it at native). I was thinking there was something in an ir code, that duplicated the 'format' button on the face of the s3. any other ideas?????
cbstv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
cbstv

HDMI issue?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
SNJpage1

Sounds like the receive is doing some thing to the hdmi handshake between the S3 and the TV.
SNJpage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
cbstv

here is the hdmi set-up: TIVO HDMI OUT > GEFEN HDMI DIST. AMP > GEFEN HDMI SWITCHER > TV

the question is: why would an hdmi handshake issue change a preset on a menu???
Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsh
Has anyone else had Tivo change their video output format?

I have a new Series 3, a Panasonic 50 inch plasma, and a Yamaha RX-v2700 receiver. The plasma can handle all video formats, so I set the Tivo video output format to Native. Great picture. Once I turn the TV and receiver off, the next time I turn it all on again, the Tivo has switched video output format to 720P Fixed.

When certain shows are displaying with 720P, I see those aggravating white lines at the top of the screen (based on other posts, thats from the closed captioning signal). They don't show when I switch back to Native. But, of course, next time I turn TV back on, Tivo has switched me to 720P again.

Help!
Can you tell if the S3 has had any reboots? I know that resets the screen resolution.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
cbstv

no reboots.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Sorry can't help you there. I know HDMI does a lot of weird things. I have one problem with HDMI involving my S3 and Westinghouse LWM42" 1080p LCD

S3 (1080i fixed) -> TV HDMI
XBox 360 (1080p) -> TV Component 2

After I turn off the XBox 360, switch the TV input back to HDMI to watch Tivo, the TV screen turns all pink, the picture details are still there, just all pink. If I then power cycle the TV, then it's all back to normal.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
Sorry can't help you there. I know HDMI does a lot of weird things. I have one problem with HDMI involving my S3 and Westinghouse LWM42" 1080p LCD

S3 (1080i fixed) -> TV HDMI
XBox 360 (1080p) -> TV Component 2

After I turn off the XBox 360, switch the TV input back to HDMI to watch Tivo, the TV screen turns all pink, the picture details are still there, just all pink. If I then power cycle the TV, then it's all back to normal.
On my Sceptre 1080P 42" that uses the SAME ChiMeiOpto LCD screen, this pinkness appears when a 'purely 1920x1080' souce (like my PS3 or PC) is viewed over the HDMI input with the 'HDMI' mode instead of the 'DVI' mode. The difference between these modes (on my TV) - only the DVI mode doesn't overscan (the HDMI or the HDMI-with-HDCP-enabled modes overscan pixels a wee bit)

Have you tried switching the input away fromt he digitals (go to antenna in, or composite or something analog) and THEN return to HDMI, on the TV? This SHOULD reset it or force a redetection to DVI (pure, no overscan) mode.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 02-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #16
strongbadd

I have the same Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and I have a similar issue. When I power cycle the receiver and TV the TiVo resets the video output format to 1080i fixed. I have to go back in and manually change every time to 1080i Hybrid so I can get 4:3 content at 480p (I can't do native because my TV won't accept 480i over component). Note: I do not like 1080i fixed because the scaler on my TV is better than what the TiVo looks like.

My guess is that the Yammie receiver is not properly reporting back the resolutions the TV supports over the HDMI link and the TiVo resets its video output format based on these settings. To me, the best solution would be for TiVo to override what it receives from the HDMI link and use what is set in the menu (that is why the menu is there after all). TiVo should also add the much requested Native except for 480i setting so everything is sent native except 480i content which is upconverted to 480p.
strongbadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #17
JPShinn

I've noticed a somewhat similar issue in that I'll switch on the TV (Pioneer Elite plasma) and the Processor (Halcro) in the am. Sometimes (only a couple times), the picture will open up as garbled in the top 1/3 of the screen and showing as something like 240p. I can fix it by switching to a known HD channel and forcing a resolution change.

Odd . . .
JPShinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
cbstv

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbadd
I have the same Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and I have a similar issue. When I power cycle the receiver and TV the TiVo resets the video output format to 1080i fixed. I have to go back in and manually change every time to 1080i Hybrid so I can get 4:3 content at 480p (I can't do native because my TV won't accept 480i over component). Note: I do not like 1080i fixed because the scaler on my TV is better than what the TiVo looks like.

My guess is that the Yammie receiver is not properly reporting back the resolutions the TV supports over the HDMI link and the TiVo resets its video output format based on these settings. To me, the best solution would be for TiVo to override what it receives from the HDMI link and use what is set in the menu (that is why the menu is there after all). TiVo should also add the much requested Native except for 480i setting so everything is sent native except 480i content which is upconverted to 480p.

just so I understand, as part of the hdcp handshake, the s3 will look for the tv's supported resolutions and adjust accordingly?? If this is so, then why bother to have a video resolution menu? Is there any way to lock this setting down to a specific resolution?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
Jiffylush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbstv
just so I understand, as part of the hdcp handshake, the s3 will look for the tv's supported resolutions and adjust accordingly?? If this is so, then why bother to have a video resolution menu? Is there any way to lock this setting down to a specific resolution?
Why bother?

So people who have devices that support multiple resolutions can choose.

Does seem like a bug to me if you set an option and it won't stay, would make more sense if you set it and then got no video.
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
cbstv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush
Why bother?

So people who have devices that support multiple resolutions can choose.

Does seem like a bug to me if you set an option and it won't stay, would make more sense if you set it and then got no video.
seems to me like others are experiencing this change in resolutions, and that is just the way the s3 works. I thought my box was defective.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #21
StarmanTHX

Not on mine, not yet anyway.
StarmanTHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbadd

My guess is that the receiver is sending different information based on the state of the TV. It sends one set of preferred formats when the TV is on (hopefully, from the TV), you then change the settting in the menu. However, when the TV's off, it sends different information, so the S3 says "hey - something just changed - I better go use the new preferred format cuz I know the TV will support it".
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
On my Sceptre 1080P 42" that uses the SAME ChiMeiOpto LCD screen, this pinkness appears when a 'purely 1920x1080' souce (like my PS3 or PC) is viewed over the HDMI input with the 'HDMI' mode instead of the 'DVI' mode. The difference between these modes (on my TV) - only the DVI mode doesn't overscan (the HDMI or the HDMI-with-HDCP-enabled modes overscan pixels a wee bit)

Have you tried switching the input away fromt he digitals (go to antenna in, or composite or something analog) and THEN return to HDMI, on the TV? This SHOULD reset it or force a redetection to DVI (pure, no overscan) mode.
The Westy does not over scan in HDMI I think. And my remote macro is set up to always switch to the HDMI through composite, because the Westy is a semi-toad. I think there is some certain combination that ticks it off, because I don't remember it happening every time. It's just a case for HDMI not being bullet proof, but not a big deal for me. I've never spent time to find out the exact details.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #24
ashu
User title defunct

HDMI is bullet proof when implemented correctly. Apparently my Sceptre DOES implement it correctly, but MANY TVs on the market don't necessarily do the same

At least you (and I) didn't pay an arm and a legtop dollar for a Sony XBR/SXRD or one of the early Sharp Aquos 1080p TVs and find it was incapable of reliable, consistent switching between reoslutions/sources/inputs, leave alone entirely incapable of 1080p input!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #25
crustymonkey

I'm having the same issue here. I'm running HDMI through a Yamaha receiver and I keep getting reverted to 720p fixed, no matter what I set it to. The TV I have works with all formats and I was using native over component prior to switching to hdmi and I've had this problem since.

As a request to the TIVO devs, please make an option to retain the video output format and have it override hdmi detected formats.
crustymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
Can you tell if the S3 has had any reboots? I know that resets the screen resolution.
Not for me. when I've rebooted my boxes it stays on the video output setting it was on before rebooting. Now during the prcess of booting the resolution might be different, but once the boot process is completed the setting is always as it was before. i don't need to change it back to native, etc.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #27
stack

I just got my first Tivo which is the Elite and noticed the other day when I would go from channels back and forth that the resolution always reverts back to 720P. I am going direct from the Tivo to a Samsung TV.

I go ahead and change the format to 1080i and then when I go to another channel and come back all of a sudden it's back to 720P.

Any help is very much appreciated, all my searches have not come up with a real solution.
stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
I just got my first Tivo which is the Elite and noticed the other day when I would go from channels back and forth that the resolution always reverts back to 720P. I am going direct from the Tivo to a Samsung TV.

I go ahead and change the format to 1080i and then when I go to another channel and come back all of a sudden it's back to 720P.

Any help is very much appreciated, all my searches have not come up with a real solution.
I wonder if your TV is set to receive all video resolutions in the setup menu? If so, you might want to limit the TV's resolution to 1080i/1080p only (assuming you have other devices (i.e. Blu-ray) hooked up to it.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
I just got my first Tivo which is the Elite
You'll probably get better help if you post in the appropriate forum then. This is a 5 year old thread about S3 Tivos, not the S4 Tivo that you have.
Keen is online now   Reply With Quote