TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #241
globalreset

So, I picked up the terminator and the 9db worth of attenuators yesterday and was all set to try them out last night. Before I attached them I noticed that, after two nights of pixelation, the problem just went away. A solution us engineer's hate. I went ahead and attached both to the system and I'll probably try removing them a few times this weekend to see if it comes back (just so I can test the hypothesis that we're fixing the problem).
globalreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #242
JohnBrowning

I only saw the pixelation on DHD last night.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #243
AndyMorrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
My S3 rebooted last night, and we have begun receiving channel 71 (CNN Headline News). Not sure why - I don't think we got a software update (maybe we did and it was just a small fix).

This was one of the channels that the S3 said we were receiving, but it simply displayed a black screen.
I found that channel 71 (and 520) magically appeared earlier today too. I don't believe my machine rebooted.
AndyMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #244
dtee

Pixellation back after 4 days of perfect service. Same 5 channels that I had posted earlier. Problem had gone away since Tuesday and came back about the same time I noticed it last week. Almost like a switch was thrown somewhere. Bizarre. I know if I call VZ they will send out the crew to "prove" to me it's the TiVo. Last time they almost went so far as to swap out the ONT. I had my fingers crossed that this would not be a chronic problem, I'm not so optimistic at this point. I'm still unsure about how the stations are tuned. Does the TiVo have tuners that actually tune the channels or is that the job of the cable cards.

PS: When I had contacted TiVo last week the tech said that he 8.1 update might help this problem. I just hope it eliminates the audio drop out when changing stations using the guide. Thats just annoying, but this pixelation issue approaches deal breaker territory.

Good luck to all in this matter and enjoy the weekend.
dtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #245
dtee

All the bad channels are back again at full (94-97) strength. This is definitely a signal strength issue on the Verizon Fios side. When the signal is above 94 on HD no problems at all are experienced. When below that threshold, pixelation occurs. With a good signal the tuners do their job just fine. If the tuners were bad the problems would be consistant at all signal levels, I would presume. The affected channels are all national feeds and are all HD. Anyone else experiencing these or other problems with Fios. All in all with the exception of this problem the Fios experience has been pretty positive.
dtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #246
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtee
All the bad channels are back again at full (94-97) strength. This is definitely a signal strength issue on the Verizon Fios side. When the signal is above 94 on HD no problems at all are experienced. When below that threshold, pixelation occurs. With a good signal the tuners do their job just fine. If the tuners were bad the problems would be consistant at all signal levels, I would presume. The affected channels are all national feeds and are all HD. Anyone else experiencing these or other problems with Fios. All in all with the exception of this problem the Fios experience has been pretty positive.
Keep in mind, the S3's signal strength meter measures the strength of the desired signal and noise, not just the desired signal. Verizon techs have meters they can use to measure the desired signal only. Sounds like they need to check the wiring.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #247
resanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by resanders
That's good to know. I've had two S3's for a couple months and it's running fine with Cablevision CCs although it took them about five to six visits (I understand it's a learning process) and one replacement S3 (bent pin in slot 1) later. But, I think Verizon has a more seamless approach to installation... they use laptops for activating and binding the cards which should be a lot quicker than sitting on the phone. I'll let you know how my install goes.
OK... the install on Sunday (1/14) went well... their activation process seems a lot quicker than Cablevision and I think Cablevision's cablecards may be older or need new firmware/updated cards. The channels look great... some HD channels didn't come in but that's because I didn't include them on my original order so I should see them tonight. The S3 automatically updated ALL channels on my season passes so I was happy about that. Overall, I feel the FiOS TV programming content is better! No NEWS12NJ but I've heard there might be a FiOS ONE news channel?? It seems my internet is a little slow but I think that is just a system resource issue. Incidentally, does anyone know how to clear unnecessary processes in Windows Task Manager? Good luck to all new FiOS TVers out there!
resanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #248
dcoxarc

Lifetime subscription

Okay, I am going to be getting FIOS and wanted to get the S3. I've seen a lot of posts about transfering your lifetime subscription to the new S3, but I just got off the phone with Tivo and they told me that - sorry - you can't do that and you'll have to pay your monthly subscription. Anyone else run into this?? And if you haven't, how are you getting your lifetime subscription transfered?? Any info would be great. Personally, I think it's crap. I've been with Tivo since they first came out. I used the montlhy for a year or so, but then switched to the lifetime. For them to say tough because they have a new HD version is rude. Anyway, thanks for the help.
dcoxarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #249
bilbo

Wink go to tivo.com/vip

go to tivo.com/vip and call that phone #. the lifetime transfer is only for stand alone tivo units. directv tivos are not eligible.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #250
dcoxarc

Bilbo - Thank you so much for that info!
dcoxarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #251
jimtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo
directv tivos are not eligible.
They changed the policy on this, DirecTV units are eligible, I just did it yesterday. IF you look at the fine print on that link they removed the disclamer.
jimtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #252
Jasper

I just had the FIOS tv installed last week and everything works great. The cable cards took about 20 min to install and it was relatively painless. The tech had only installed them one other time so it was a learning process for both of us, but it really was easy.
I receive all of the channels I'm supposed to, including 71, and have had zero problems.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #253
siersema

This may be a redundant question but I am a newbie to Tivo units. I have Directs Tivo units and like them. I am thinking of getting a S3. If I have Verizon FIOS TV, do I need to pay monthly charges to Tivo?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #254
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by siersema
This may be a redundant question but I am a newbie to Tivo units. I have Directs Tivo units and like them. I am thinking of getting a S3. If I have Verizon FIOS TV, do I need to pay monthly charges to Tivo?
Yes, and you'll need to rent two single-stream or one multi-stream CableCard from Verizon. Each card is $3/month. I don't think the multi-stream CableCards are available yet, so you'd be looking at $6/month to Verizon.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #255
acvthree

The cable cards are $4 a month now, so $8 total.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #256
bilbo

Wink thanks for the correction, jimtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtronic
They changed the policy on this, DirecTV units are eligible, I just did it yesterday. IF you look at the fine print on that link they removed the disclamer.
thanks for the correction, jimtronic.

the last time i checked the tivo.com/vip website it explicitly said lifetimed DirectTV Tivos were ineligible, but Tivo seems to keep changing the rules while the game is being played. i was aware of a window in December for LT'ed DirectTivo owners -- I am glad the window is back open again.

Tivo should try to sell as many S3's as possible IMHO (that would be best for all who have purchased/transferred LT IMHO because Tivo's longterm viability is still in question).
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #257
jhimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree
The cable cards are $4 a month now, so $8 total.

Al
I just ordered two more today, and was told I would be charged $2.95 each, not $4.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #258
acvthree

Thanks for the information.

I haven't gotten my first bill, but I was quoted $3.95 in Carrollton, Texas. I just went out on the web site and can't find a price listed. It just says for a low price.

Where are you located? I wonder if it is location dependent. Either that or the person who quoted me was incorrect or I heard them wrong.

$2.95 would be great.

Al

Al
Old 01-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #259
jmcain
LakeSmith

I just today spoke with a Verizon technician who has already installed FIOS in Northern VA. He told me that he has completed installations with TiVo Series 3 components. Since Series 3 accepts cable cards ($2.99/mo/ea), it can be connected via FIOS and present a "better HD picture" than I receive over the air. It, however, cannot be used in the multiroom viewing media center. BTW, the set top boxes that connect to the media center do not currently provide HD--just standard video.
jmcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #260
jmcain
LakeSmith

Verizons answer to me

I just today spoke with a Verizon technician who has already installed FIOS in Northern VA. He told me that he has completed installations with TiVo Series 3 components. Since Series 3 accepts cable cards ($2.99/mo/ea), it can be connected via FIOS and present a "better HD picture" than I receive over the air. It, however, cannot be used in the multiroom viewing media center.

BTW, the set top boxes that connect to the media center do not currently provide HD--just standard video. Since all of my TVs are HD, FIOS still cannot provide me with multiroom viewing for at least two to three more months.
jmcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #261
ATB

How does the S3 get the correctr guide data?

Probably a silly question, but since FIOS has different channel line ups in each region (2 in NJ alone), how does the S3's guide know the channel line up?
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #262
acvthree

You give the S3 your zip code and then it give you the choices for your area. Fios will be one of them. It thien uses that information to determine which channel line up to use.

Al
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #263
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcain
I just today spoke with a Verizon technician who has already installed FIOS in Northern VA. He told me that he has completed installations with TiVo Series 3 components. Since Series 3 accepts cable cards ($2.99/mo/ea), it can be connected via FIOS and present a "better HD picture" than I receive over the air. It, however, cannot be used in the multiroom viewing media center.

BTW, the set top boxes that connect to the media center do not currently provide HD--just standard video. Since all of my TVs are HD, FIOS still cannot provide me with multiroom viewing for at least two to three more months.
Yeah, the TiVo S3 & Verizon's Media Center viewing solution thingamajig are completely unrelated.

Not sure about the 'better than OTA' claim. Verizon likely retranmits locals just as they receive them - usually OTA! I doubt they massag it to look better That's just sales talk.

But I DO agree that they (Verizon) won't do what DirecTV?dish (always) and Cable (sometimes - but not in our area) do - and that is massage the HD feeds down to use less bandwidth! That' because they have more than enough bandwidth for all the channels they currently carry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #264
avpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank99

1. To get around the PPV and on demand not offered through the cable cards I had them provide me an extra HD box on the same TV. So if I want to watch PPV or on demand I just switch to another video source. I have had the cable cards installed in my HD box for three weeks now and have yet to switch over to watch it because, well TiVo Series3 is just that good,

Tracy
I'm also in Tampa and just got my FIOS and S3. When you say "To get around the PPV and on demand not offered through the cable cards I had them provide me an extra HD box on the same TV." Did they provide the additional box for free or at a monthly charge?
avpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #265
kurtster

OMG I'm glad I found this thread!

I went to the Burlington Mall in Burington, MA and spoke to the person in charge of the FIOS kiosk in the mall. She told me FIOS TV would NEVER work with TiVO because of things Tivo's business practices. Hah! People have their S3 working with FIOS I see and she is full of it.

Frankly I couldn't believe how she kind of went off on Tivo like they did something to anger Verizon. I don't think the people working at this kiosk have a clue how cool Tivo is and why people want it.

Anyway, I'm still with DirecTV and two HR10-250s but my Internet service is FIOS. I can't bring myself to switch just yet because I will lose the MLB Extra Innings package, and the cost of two S3s and a switch to FIOS TV would be more of a financial hit than I can take right now. I've got two HDTVs so putting SD on one of them would drive me nuts. Can't wait 'till prices come down on S3 boxes eventually. Sweet things they are.
kurtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #266
acvthree

It is an interesting reaction. It wasn't quite that bad, but I had the same sort of response from the person I placed the order with.

It's really too bad. Tivo Series 3 and Fios seem to be a great match. A good marketing team would see an opportunity here to bring in some high end customers.

Al
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #267
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

http://fioswatch.com/2006/09/13/tivo...digital-cable/

TiVo FiosTV press release!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #268
TexasAg

That press release is almost 5 months old!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #269
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by willettg
CH 81 - CSPAN3: No audio on TiVo, works fine on Moto
Same here, also on 496 (Bridges), and my local sports networks CSN (65) and MASN (66).

Quote:
CH 200 - Hallmark Channel: Not working on TiVo, works fine on Moto
No problems with 200 here.

Quote:
CH 520 - CNN Headline News: Not working on TiVo, works fine on Moto. Oddly enough, CH70 for CNN Headline News is working fine.
70 is CNN; 71 is Headline News.

71/520 is blank for me as well.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #270
avpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
Same here, also on 496 (Bridges), and my local sports networks CSN (65) and MASN (66).

No problems with 200 here.

70 is CNN; 71 is Headline News.

71/520 is blank for me as well.
FIOS, Tampa, Florida.
70: CNN
71: CNN Headline News
520:CNN Headline News

All active on my S3
avpman is offline   Reply With Quote