TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #1411
ashu
User title defunct

Perhaps because the product ain't faulty, and you bought it knowing it had limited-liftime components, which did die, and after the warranty ran out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:25 PM   #1412
CynthiaJ

Thanks to all for your help. I will ponder the options and my pocket book. I really want this to work.
CynthiaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #1413
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwaddict
Again...not slamming the people trying to help each other. Just the situation. Why someone would choose to defend their purchase of a faulty product is beyond me.
Well that pretty much ends this part of the discussion. Now at least we can move on!

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM   #1414
barbeedoll

Great thread! Has anyone written an IR code for the Slingbox to allow a Toshiba RS-TX60 to connect. I get a picture, but my power, channel changer, etc., are disabled. Slingbox support desk says they haven't written one, but I might find one online.

Any leads?

Barbeedoll
barbeedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #1415
ashu
User title defunct

The Toshiba RS-TX units use the same set of 10 (actually 9, as 0 is the universal code) remote cnotrol codes as any otehr S2 TiVo. How does the SlingBox work for folks who use it with other S2 TiVos that work on a different remote code? Same setup should allow the Toshiba boxen to functiona perfectly (plus you'll have to teach the SlingBox the DVD side of things, of course)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #1416
ashu
User title defunct

It's a case of "How many times has he called? How angry has he sounded? Might he spread bad rumors and misinformation? Oh, Alright - let's just give him a freebie in the interest of less headaches and customer satisfaction, and eat the loss on this one". Seriously.

Congratulations.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 AM   #1417
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Gee, good to see that you are still not slamming anyone.

Ashu, I agree with you; Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. (re: our other conversation, let's hope the high road pays off; some things I just don't want to be, even for a few hundred dollars).

Old 12-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #1418
lwaddict
Not amused

"75$ to take a look at it"...

Touched a nerve did I? LOL.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #1419
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
So why did you delete/edit all your posts?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #1420
ashu
User title defunct

It's unlikely the poster deleted them ... it may have been a higher power (although I certainly had nought to do with it)! And the wonder of email updates (to some interesting threads) means I have a copy of his oh-so-mature personal attack in my inbox

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #1421
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
"75$ to take a look at it"...

Lets just say that you touched a nerve with your very first post, you know, the one where you began insulting people and then continued to so, repeatedly.

My "take a look at it" comment was clearly and obviously directed to Cynthia as an alternative to sending her unit to Toshiba. I've only been working on these units for about seven years now, so when I make an assessment of what may be wrong, I usually know what I'm talking about. In her case, the inability to burn DVD's in the manner in which she described is more likely to be a problem with the hard drive, then the burner or the unit itself.

My offer was also coupled with a recommendation on how she could diagnose the problem herself or with the help of someone with some PC experience.

If you have anything constructive to add, aside from calling everyone in here 'stupid' and 'foolish' for trying to help or actually liking the products which they own, I'm sure it will be welcome. Beyond that, I'll just go ahead and figure out how to use the "ignore" filter. LOL. Whatever.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #1422
Pvgibbs

Ok so it looks like my Hard Drive has failed...getting "powering up", "welcome", and GSOD cycle for two days now -- even after a 24-hour rest period.

Since its almost 2 years old, I am past the Toshiba Warranty...however I did purchase (for some reason!?!) the BestBuy PSP.

Has -anyone- had success taking TX-RS20s back to Best Buy for a real Hard Drive repair?

---- UPDATE ----

I just didnt have faith BestBuy would know what to do with my TX-RS20 -- and I didnt want some other Tivo/DVR, so I purchased a 250gb Upgrade Kit and installed it myself.

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo

Last edited by Pvgibbs : 01-13-2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Update
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #1423
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvgibbs
Has -anyone- had success taking TX-RS20s back to Best Buy for a real Hard Drive repair?
Good question. Somehow I doubt Best Buy will repair/replace the hard drive. They'll probably try to replace it. Since the Toshiba's aren't manufactured anymore, they might try to set you up with a newer/refurb unit (but then it wouldn't have a DVD burner in it). Not sure how they'll handle that ...

|
Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #1424
lwaddict
Not amused

Ashu...not sure if it's the hat but...
Wrong again. LOL.
I DID delete my own posts out of respect to the rest of the board. LOL.
You're on a streak.

After cruising around the site, it would seem that there are a lot of helpful people here and I didn't want our spat tainting what could be a useful site to people looking for help. Reading my vents and your snide quips could easily dissuade someone new from sticking around...so I removed mine. You can save them and read them at your leisure. LOL.

Pvgibbs...
Best Buy will, more than likely, replace the unit with something in the same price range. Really push for something with a burner though, if they still exist. I've had great dealings with the Best Buy customer service people and am sure they'll do what they can to help you out.

tivoupgrade...
my apologize if I misfired in your direction. I was reading quickly and took your offer as a response to my post. My bad. And I didn't call anyone 'stupid' or 'foolish'...all I stated was my confusion at the acceptance of bad product. When I buy PC stuff, I see clearly all around me boxes of parts and manuals and video tutorials...so I know that I'm going into something that'll require more of my time than just plugging in and enjoying it. When I bought the Tivo...it was just there, hooked up to a tv. I know better now.
Again, my bad and I apologize to you.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #1425
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Ashu...not sure if it's the hat but...
Wrong again. LOL.
I DID delete my own posts out of respect to the rest of the board. LOL.
You're on a streak.

After cruising around the site, it would seem that there are a lot of helpful people here and I didn't want our spat tainting what could be a useful site to people looking for help. Reading my vents and your snide quips could easily dissuade someone new from sticking around...so I removed mine. You can save them and read them at your leisure. LOL.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #1426
lwaddict
Not amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu

Old 12-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #1427
kcir
TiVo addicted

After installing a new disk, loading it with an InstantCake image and having it get all the updates things were working again. However, now intermittantly the machine freezes up when I select items to be recorded either in season pass manager or just from the program guide. I can eject the DVD and re-insert it, but nothing else works. Not even the standby button. Pushing xome buttons i=on the remote results in nothing while others cause the bad thing noise to come over the tv audio. The video image does not freeze on the screen. Does anyone know why this would be happening?
kcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #1428
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcir
After installing a new disk...
The most common cause of what you've described is that of a defective hard drive. If you haven't run full diagnostics on it, then you really should (it doesn't matter whether the drive is new or not - in fact, if it is a brand new drive, all the more reason to).

Another possibility is that your unit is just still busy processing updates and populating guide data; this type of activity always takes precedence over interaction with the remote; so unless your unit has been sitting for 4-6 hours since downloading its last service update, then you might want to leave it be for awhile and see if that makes a difference.

Other causes of the problem could be a damaged IDE cable, or perhaps you might have dislodged the cable that connects the front panel of the unit to the system board.

And lastly, there have been some complaints about the new 8.X software causing some problems. This is probably the least likely of the scenarios, but still a possibility.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #1429
thomps13

Dead Drive with No Backup in my RS-TX20

My RS-TX20 DVD Tivo hard drive is dead/corrupt, will not boot. Please please please, someone, please tell me someone has an MFS backup of one of these units... I'm fully knowledgable how to restore the unit and do the Clear/Delete everything to get it to work without the nag messages, I just need a proper backup image.

PLEASE HELP!
thomps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #1430
ssee8888

Toshiba TX20 - Guide data not updating

Can anyone help me...

Since last sunday 1/7/07, I can not download the TV guide to my TiVo.

When it connected it said it cannot update until the software update on 2:00AM. The software update came and went it appears to have updated correctly. Now my tivo connects correctly but does not download any of the guide data. When I hit guide, all I have is " To Be Announce ??? "........

I called Toshiba, they said it's TiVo problem, but when I call TiVo, since I did not pay for anything, they would not tell me anything & siad it's Toshiba problem.

When I test the connection it says the connection was successful but never says it is downloading any data.

Also, after the download, some of the functions from the setup did not work. Unless I power off the Tivo......

I noticed that when the Tivo power up, it said " installing software ". I am wondering what version of the software is installing ??? I Checked the version I have, it's ver 7.1 somthing like that........

PLEASE PLEASE someone can help me.. I still can record shows, but just no info of the show. Now, I have all the shows recored on my TiVo with the date & channels that it. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Steve from Westmont, IL. Any help would be appreciated.
ssee8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #1431
billyacc

Does anyone know if tv shows recorded on the TX-20 can be converted to view on a video iPOD?

Thanks!
billyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #1432
azitnay

Yes... The supported method is to upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus for $25:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1-2.asp

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1433
billyacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Yes... The supported method is to upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus for $25:

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1-2.asp

Drew
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #1434
cjensen026
clintTivoRSTX60

Quote:
Same setup should allow the Toshiba boxen to functiona perfectly
Boxen...lol.

Mine comes tomorrow! A lot of RS-TXs are selling on ebay lately.

Thanks for all the useful posts over the last 2 years.
cjensen026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #1435
alanpgh

I'ved owned an RS-Tx20 since 5/04, and it is Great !

I have owned an RS-TX20 since May of 2004.

No problems encountered so far.

I just works! A Series 2 Tivo with a DVD burner; and recently Tivo Desktop and Tivocast!

All I can say is that it is one of my best purchases in recent years!

Good Luck!

Alan
alanpgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #1436
MungoJerrie

Will RS-TX20 revert to Basic?

I bought a Toshiba RS-TX20 from someone who previously had purchased lifetime on it (not basic lifetime, "real" lifetime). Anyway this guy actually sold the lifetime on ebay and the buyer transferred it to an Series 3 per the VIP program. So now I have the 1-year complimentary service...

But after the complimetary service expires, will the Toshiba revert to basic and still allow the basic program guide functionality, etc? It's running 8.1 if that matters.

As an aside I called TiVo and tried to have it transferred to my account (figured I could at least enjoy MRV for a year) but of course they wouldn't do it. So I love my TX20 but I just can't control it

Oh, and one other thing, the HD was going so I bought a new HD and InstantCake. Restored beautifully, but the model is "unknown" even after a CD&E. The TSN is correct, it's been connecting fine; will this matter down the line?
MungoJerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #1437
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yes, the box should revert to TiVo Basic when the 1-year subscription expires. I did the same thing to my own TX20 ... transferred the Lifetime to my S3 figuring I can either pay the subscription fee for Plus once the complimentary year is over, or let it expire and then sell it with the Basic service.

So this guy sold you the box, but "kept" the Lifetime service and then transferred it out from under you? Sounds like you should have transferred the box into your name when you purchased it. I hope you didn't pay a lot.

|
Old 01-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #1438
ashu
User title defunct

Nahh, seems more like someone (in breach of the terms of the VIP Lifetime transfer) transferred a box (whose Lifetime Plus he just moved to S3) to a 3rd Party (MungoJerrie).

very unlikely TiVo will be TOO upset about it, as MJ discovered when he called CS, but NO WAY they'll transfer it to his account - thus making it incapable of TTG/MRV!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 01-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #1439
MungoJerrie

Quote:
Nahh, seems more like someone (in breach of the terms of the VIP Lifetime transfer) transferred a box (whose Lifetime Plus he just moved to S3) to a 3rd Party (MungoJerrie).
That's exactly what happened. The guy was up front about it, and he knew the HD was going so he sold it to me cheap. I figured it was worth it for the Tivo Basic. And it was too, love the 1-step DVD burning. MRV isn't critical to me on this machine since you can't burn MRV'd shows anyway...
MungoJerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #1440
billyacc

Anyone have any audio issues with their RS-TX20? I can see video and the unit records, but I do not get audio. When I burn a show to a disk and play on a DVD player, it works and I can hear the audio.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!