TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #1771
hdtvoice

welp, comcast is coming back out again this satyrday...

i called again last night and told them to rezap my 2nd cablecard... and still it didnt help..

about 20 channels still dont work, and bring up the dreaded black screen with all the info that you have to hit the clear button to get out of...

anyone else have any info on why their 2nd cablecard slots are not working good?
hdtvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #1772
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
Do you have another Comcast box? If so, the additional outlet charge is correct. If the TiVo is your only digital device, then call Comcast to remove that charge. The 1st card is free. The 2nd card is covered by that $1.50 fee.
Some of us have done that. As soon as the ADO is removed from the account, the 2nd Cable Card is being deactivated.

I had a lengthy frustrating discussion at my local service center yesterday as the lady kept saying the Cable Cards were free but that I _had_ to have the ADO. I'll gladly give her my HDTV for *free* if she'll pay me the $2,000 "additional TV charge" :-)

This has not yet been resolved. They're supposed to call me today but I'm not optimistic.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #1773
blastoff

Atlanta info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff
I want to comment about the pricing, though. I was told my whole setup (HD box for PPV plus 2 cablecards for the S3) would be $5 additional a month. But it's turning out to be more like $30. My first bill is a bit polluted with installation and partial month info, but some of the key charges are:

$5.00 HD box
$1.50 per CC x 2
$5.99 Digital Service A/O x 3 (have not gotten a clear explanation of what this is)
one of these A/O's was described as "motor hoses" for my internet service. What? These guys did absolutely nothing but initialize two CC's and attached a box to a cable that was ready and waiting. I've had internet service for 6 years without any addl charge.

that accounts for about $26 a month (a bit more than the $5 I was quoted)

the installation was $15.70, close to the $15 I was told

Not too happy with the billing. Perhaps the person I talked to was ignorant, but this seems an awful lot like bait and switch. Talked locally, but could not get a manager. Think I may try the 800 number as some suggested. Anyone locate the franchise authority with Atlanta?
This has been a MONUMENTAL hassle. Probably called Comcast 6 times or so. The 800-comcast and 404-comcast numbers can't really do anything. It was exacerbated by the fact that in Atlanta, they apparently moved both their local offices, so phone numbers they give you to call (and the locations they tell you to go to, and I did) don't work (or aren't there). Was finally able to call a number for a nearby city (Decatur) and get it resolved - maybe.

After about a 45 minute conversation I finally got the rep to agree to 5$ + $1.50, much better than the $26 they were charging me before, that is, assuming optimistically that it will pass review by management.

Again, that's for a HD box and 2 CC's

I suspect I could get them down to the $0 for the 2 CC's that they originally quoted me, but I was a bit worried that they might end up charging me $3.00 for 2 CC's if I explained much more, and I can deal with $1.50 a month.

I think if you could spin it as a TV that has two CC's in it as opposed to a Tivo with two CC's in it, that might work. Not sure if you can get away without mentioning the "T" word, though, as the installer is going to know, but it would probably be worth a try. Apparently CC's are free, Tivo CC's are not.

As part of this whole thing, when I first disputed their charges, they told me that they would "escalate" as they put it and have a manager go back and listen to the conversations, make a decision and then get back with me. Not only has that not happened, but I couldn't find anyone who had any record of it or even knew what I was talking about. Amazing.

Best of luck to all of you.
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #1774
titsataki

now how many of you guys had comcast being late? they said 10-12 noon and it is a couple mins after 12 and no one has showed up? My dish and SBC phone showed up right on the dot when I first got them (when I moved into the house)

Cheers

Nick
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #1775
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsataki
now how many of you guys had comcast being late? they said 10-12 noon and it is a couple mins after 12 and no one has showed up? My dish and SBC phone showed up right on the dot when I first got them (when I moved into the house)

Cheers

Nick
Call Comcast and ask where they are and ask also for a credit on your bill for your aggravation.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #1776
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter
But you'll have to admit that TiVo made a product that works with 99.9% of all Comcast systems/hardware out there, don't you?
I don't know the exact number. My guess is closer to 90%-95%.

Quote:
Otherwise, where are all the Comcast customers who have your problem?
You might want to read this thread a bit closer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bicker : 01-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #1777
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Personal attacks are always uncalled for
Which is why I didn't attack the person but rather the message.

Check the dictionary for the difference between "idiocy" and "idiot".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #1778
joe mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Its in their FAQ http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540 near the bottom it says:

Comcast is happy to provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet.*

Though their version of "free" seems to be to try to charge you for an additional digital outlet.
Can they tack a HD fee onto the cable box or is that covered by the "no additional charge" line?
joe mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #1779
titsataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Call Comcast and ask where they are and ask also for a credit on your bill for your aggravation.

Yup did that. They said the will "try" to make it today. I should also stand by my phone....

Why do I think they should be the ones standing by their phone when he customer is calling. hmm...
Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #1780
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I don't know the exact number. My guess is closer to 90%-95%.

You might want to read this thread a bit closer.
I have read it. How many people had your problem and gave up. Maybe 5 at most?

You are accusing TiVo of having a design flaw and not being compatible with major cable systems to the point of not being able to connect at all. If this were really the case, many more people would have your problem. You've provided no evidence for this.

As far as I can tell, you have never ruled out the possibility that you just had a flaky TiVo. This and other threads have many people who had flaky TiVos. That's the nature of consumer electronics.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #1781
subat0mic

Lightbulb tivo's not flaky, COMCAST is.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, you have never ruled out the possibility that you just had a flaky TiVo. This and other threads have many people who had flaky TiVos. That's the nature of consumer electronics.
more likely, a flaky comcast. in my case it took comcast 3 attempts (over 3 days) to get it right, and none of it had to do with the Tivo.

1.) they didn't verify the cable had a signal
2.) they didn't verify digital channels worked before they left (HD works, so you must be good! yeah right.)
3.) they changed out the red motorola cards for blue cards after which "hits" started working... the red cards I had (for whatever reason) weren't accepting any of the "hit" broadcasts. it's entirely possible comcast had the wrong numbers, but i wasn't able to find out if this was true.

The tivo was never the problem (unless there's something about it's software that made my red cards not listen for "hits"... doubt it)...

Just one case where lots of trouble has nothing to do with the Tivo, doesn't mean it couldn't be the tivo's fault for other people...

As a good end to my story, we did get refunded our $25 install fee after my wife called to complain.

subat0mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #1782
QZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts
Some of us have done that. As soon as the ADO is removed from the account, the 2nd Cable Card is being deactivated.

I had a lengthy frustrating discussion at my local service center yesterday as the lady kept saying the Cable Cards were free but that I _had_ to have the ADO. I'll gladly give her my HDTV for *free* if she'll pay me the $2,000 "additional TV charge" :-)

This has not yet been resolved. They're supposed to call me today but I'm not optimistic.
You know what is silly is that even Comcast has dual-tuner DVRs, and they are just one outlet, of course. So, when you get two CCs for one dual-tuner DVR, by the nature of the CCs, one CC can't be removed and installed in another TV/DVR (outlet), it stays at one outlet. Sometimes, explaining this helps resolove the billing mistake.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #1783
jdebord

In regards to my install yesterday (Cable Card #1 receiving all purchased programming; Cable Card #2 receiving analog and local HD only), they are supposed to come out with a replacement Cable Card for slot #2 today. Hopefully that will get everything working properly.

Jason
jdebord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #1784
jdebord

Still no success.

The new tech brought one cable card. I put it in and got the 161-1 error. Pulled the card out and there was a big dent in it.

He spoke with various people for the time he was here, none of whom seemed too familiar with cable cards, and totally unfamiliar with TiVo Series 3 (one guy kept asking how old my TV was and to turn it off and on again).

We tried unplugging the TiVo and removing both cards, then putting them in one at a time. Long story short, nothing changed in the long run - my Cable Card #1 still gets everything it should; Cable Card #3 gets analog and local HD only.

They set up a third appointment for tomorrow, and the onsite tech said he'd try to get another cable card from another tech into this evening if he could.

To their credit, everyone seems to be trying, but I still think the problem is not inside my house, but however they set it up on their system. I don't think the card is bad, or I wouldn't get anything, I would think. I read this topic - http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4754023&highlight=1611#post4754023 - but am not sure how to translate that information into getting results. Calling Comcast seems to be a crap shoot.

Any advice appreciated.

Jason
Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #1785
Hokie4Life

Update from earlier post:
Stopped by my local office on the way home to explain the problem. The nice lady at the front desk told me that she'll have their CC "guru" take a look at the issue and give me a call later tonight. I gave her the Auth code message (MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY).

About a half hour or so later, my wife calls to say that all of a sudden, there's a 161-4 error. From what I've been reading, this is a good thing. Shortly thereafter, we were getting our digital channels (and HD+ pkg) on one of the cards. I checked the Conditional Access screen and found that CC1 was subscribed and CC2 wasn't. Called support and was told that only 1 outlet was subscribed to the digital and HD channels. I explained that there's only 1 outlet in use and that the 2 CC's were being used in the same device. She corrected the mistake on my account and sent another signal to the card. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have all the channels we're paying for soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Hokie4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #1786
titsataki

hey guys finally my tech showed up and it was a contractor that kept complaining that they do not do cable cards only Comcast folks do those. they tried again and again but nothing happened. Finally they left saying that their supervisor (Comcast employee) will call me. I was like sure. But i was wrong and he did call me we worked a while but I still only get analogs and non scrambled HD. I have 2 more digital boxes for my other TV's but I think I am in the same boat with Hokie4Life I think only 2 have digital. I will call them tomorrow.

By the way how do I get to the Conditional Access screen ?

In my cable card config menus in the host id screen I see the serial number it says authorization received for both cards.

under the SA CP screen under auth status I see CP Auth Received.
Decryption status No ECMs detceted

Same for both Cable cards. I am guessing that I have no digital since they gave me no set top receivers?

Regards

Nick

Last edited by titsataki : 01-10-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #1787
blastoff

Quote:
Atlanta info:

After about a 45 minute conversation I finally got the rep to agree to 5$ + $1.50, much better than the $26 they were charging me before, that is, assuming optimistically that it will pass review by management.

Again, that's for a HD box and 2 CC's
Yeah, well, that was this morning. Tonight I check in and I guess after they "fixed" my bill, my cablecards are not working now. I know someone else posted something along those lines.

Ended up talking to 5, count em, 5 reps tonight, finally insisted on talking to someone who really knew their stuff backwards and forwards, and amazingly they were able to find such a person. He laid it out for me. In Atlanta, it's going to cost you $5 for the HD service (listed as "equipment," of course), plus the cablecards are a $1.50 "Tivo" charge + $5.99 each, or about $20 additional a month to get this setup to work in Atlanta.

As soon as the guy added the charges back to my account, and I mean immediately, the cablecards worked. Didn't have to hit them or anything. It is attached to the billing.

If I could talk to myself a month ago, I would say "DON'T GET THE S3." F***! $240 a year extra to do this.

And hell, Comcast just bought Tivo for Chrissake!

I give up.
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #1788
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Ended up talking to 5, count em, 5 reps tonight, finally insisted on talking to someone who really knew their stuff backwards and forwards, and amazingly they were able to find such a person. He laid it out for me. In Atlanta, it's going to cost you $5 for the HD service (listed as "equipment," of course), plus the cablecards are a $1.50 "Tivo" charge + $5.99 each, or about $20 additional a month to get this setup to work in Atlanta.
I see no reason why you should believe this guy, even if he did sound assertive. His policy as stated is contrary to general Comcast philosophy and would probably eventually be found to be illegal. There are provisions that they can't charge more for connecting third party equipment then they do for their own equipment, though I believe it's unclear when those provisions take effect.

It sounds as though Atlanta doesn't have a cablecard policy and people are making it up as they go, even at the upper levels. They need to talk to the national offices in Philadelphia.

I can see two avenues you could pursue if you want. In both of them you should document (with names and contact information if you have them) the conflicting information you've gotten and what is happening. The first, and perhaps better, is going through your local franchising office (probably part of either your city or county government). Their address should be on the yearly statement of rates that Comcast is required to make available. They're not responsible for the rates or keeping track of them, but they are responsible for making sure Comcast has consistent rates and doesn't discriminate. If you can get the franchise office to get Comcast give them a statement of their policy in writing, I suspect most of your problems will clear up.

The second is to contact the national offices. There's phone numbers posted early in this thread, and there are physical mail addresses around. Just politely point out and document that the Atlanta office is inconsistent internally, and inconsistent with Comcast in the rest of the country.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #1789
jdebord

My situation has actually gotten worse instead of better, so I started my own topic on it - LINK

Jason
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #1790
Joe-user21

Which numbers does Comcast need?

Hi all - Long story short, I had an aborted attempt earlier this week (I'll post later..), and have ended up with 2 CC's giving me "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY".
The tech is coming tonight (Thursday) to try again.

So, my question to y'all is: EXACTLY which numbers does Comcast really need?
I assume they need the "Serial #" for billing and tracking the CC inventory.
But for service?
Host: I assume they need this
Data: I assume they need this
CableCard # vs. UnitAddress: which of these do they need?

I apologize if this was already discussed; this thread is loooong.
Answers or pointers to prev posts are much appreciated!
Joe-user21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #1791
titsataki

where do you guys see the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY.
I have to scientific atlanta CC's and I do not see anything like that.
Is it like equivalent to

Decryption status: No ECMs detected

By the way they need 3 numbers host id, the cable card number of the card itself and the TM number. Mine say that they are authorized but still no digital and HD with encryption(only analog and HD locals).

I talked to a lady on the phone and she did something and now it seems that one says decryption status ok on one but they do not say authorized any more. they are sending a guy out but not until tuesday. bummer....

Any ideas?

Nick

Last edited by titsataki : 01-11-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #1792
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsataki
where do you guys see the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY.
I have to scientific atlanta CC's and I do not see anything like that.
Is it like equivalent to

By the way they need 3 numbers host id, the cable card number of the card itself and the TM number. Mine say that they are authorized but still no digital and HD with encryption(only analog and HD locals).
MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY is a Motorola CC status so you wouldn't see it. It's more fundamental than Decryption status; you need to get it fixed even to see "in the clear" channels.

I can't help you with SA cards. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #1793
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Appt #3 - a no Show-

Calling Comcast now.

This is literally the fastest Ive ever had someone pick up the phone when I called. As soon as I hit the option to speak to a CCC, there was no ring, the CCC picked right up. A young man by the name of Kane picked up and I think he thought that I was being sarcastic when I told him "that was the fastest I've ever had someone pick up".

I asked for his help (I find that approach works wonders instead of huffing and puffing) and expressed how frustrated I am becoming (already am).

He said that the tech is stuck at his other job and that he could be here in an hr. I have an appt to keep @ 12.30 so I asked for a 2-5 appt...

The tech came back to state that he could make it during that time and that he *does* have the CCs.

Sacre Blu!

Last edited by SC0TLANDF0REVER : 01-11-2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added details
SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #1794
QZ1

Quote:
Yeah, well, that was this morning. Tonight I check in and I guess after they "fixed" my bill, my cablecards are not working now. I know someone else posted something along those lines.

In Atlanta, it's going to cost you $5 for the HD service (listed as "equipment," of course), plus the cablecards are a $1.50 "Tivo" charge + $5.99 each, or about $20 additional a month to get this setup to work in Atlanta.

As soon as the guy added the charges back to my account, and I mean immediately, the cablecards worked. Didn't have to hit them or anything. It is attached to the billing.
There is no Tivo fee per se, that $1.50 is for 'two CCs in one non-Comcast DVR'. If this Tivo is on a secondary TV, then the $6 is correct, unless you only want Basic (Locals), otherwise, explain that it is two CCs for one DVR. (It sounds like they have the billing code for it, $1.50, so it shouldn't be a problem.)

I keep hearing about this $5 HD STB fee, that they try to pass off as for the HD channels as well. Tell them to remove the HD fee, they will probably say that you will lose the HD channels, but I bet you won't, as I have never heard this before.
The reason you won't lose HD, is because the HD channels are already part of their respective services.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #1795
jdebord

Quote:
MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY is a Motorola CC status so you wouldn't see it. It's more fundamental than Decryption status; you need to get it fixed even to see "in the clear" channels.

I can't help you with SA cards. Good luck!
Yes, this is on the Motorola card. I had the same status on one of mine - it appeared in the "Auth" field (when one was working, it said "SUBSCRIBED" or something like that...

Jason
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #1796
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-user21
Hi all - Long story short, I had an aborted attempt earlier this week (I'll post later..), and have ended up with 2 CC's giving me "MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY".
I ended up with one of my Motorola cards with this status, and a phone call to Comcast asking them to send an "initialize" signal to the card cleared it up. This is not the ordinary "hit", and I had to insist that this specific signal be sent, since at first they said that there was only one kind of signal they could send.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #1797
Mike Farrington

Mike's Saga - Part Deux

Part 1 - The Recap:
The first time the cable contractor came out and installed my CableCARDSs, he left without them being authorized. He felt that the guy he was talking to at Comcast didn't know his stuff and that a more senior tech would call me back later to get the cards authorized. Of course, that call never came (big surprise). Call a Comcast CSR, she apologies for the contractor leaving before the job was done. Credits my account the $40 install fee. Tries to reconfig the cards, but she just declares them to be bad cards and reschedules for a tech to come out two days later (Today).

Part 2 - The Horror, The Horror:
Same contractor comes out, swaps one card and keeps keeps the same one there (but he did come with 3 new ones). Anyway, he installs the cards and calls a Comcast engineer to get things working. The Comcast engineer couldn't be ruder (overhearing everything on the NextTel). Basically the Comcast engineer insists that everything is configured properly and basically told the contractor at my house to bugger off. Why? Because today is the day of a massive lineup change. And I mean massive. The channels added/changed/moved message I got on my S3 was damn near 15 pages long. They added a whole crapload of channels (woohoo, lots of new HD channels). But in the end, still no "CP Auth".

Both the contractor and I figured that if the hit was sent, it could be stuck in a massive queue due to all the STBs being sent new channel mappings today. That, and the Comcast engineer was being a real A-hole on the phone and didn't sound like he gave a rat's ass.

So here I am, same as Tuseday. Two CCs that aren't authorized (except now, one of the cards has a weird message that I have to lookup - something about the PowerKey not being right).

Sigh.

I guess I'll call a CSR tonight. Have them try and hit the cards. If that doesn't work, I'm going to insist they send a senior tech, not a contractor that doesn't have any pull.

I'm so busy at work this week (I work from home). I can't have the cable techs taking up an hour of my time every other day. At least it has been around lunch each time, so that isn't so bad.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #1798
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Arrrrrgh! Only basic channels.

OK - the cable guy came while I was @ my afternoon appt instead of 2-5 like I asked. My roommate watched him install the card and there were no error messages. He didn't know to check the HiDef stuff before letting the installer leave. They only checked analog/digital.

I get the analog channels, the digital tier - but no HBO of HiDef (Discover/MHD, etc...). I just called Comcast to insure my 'package' didn't change.

Anyone have any suggestions? I re-ran guided setup, to no avail.

I just looked @ the CC screens -

CC1:
Auth Status: CP auth Rec'd
Prog #: 1
CCI Byte: 0x00
ECM count: 0
EMM Count: 0
Powerkey status: Not ready - Waiting for EMMs
EID:0x0
MKS Period:100 sec
KSE count: 0

CC2:
Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth
Prog #: 8
CCI Byte: 0x00
ECM count: 0
EMM Count: 0
Decryption status: OK
Powerkey status: Ready
EID:0xffffff
MKS Period:100 sec
KSE count: 0

Last edited by SC0TLANDF0REVER : 01-11-2007 at 02:15 PM.
SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #1799
danitaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
I get the analog channels, the digital tier - but no HBO of HiDef (Discover/MHD, etc...). I just called Comcast to insure my 'package' didn't change.
Quite honestly, it's possible that your "package" did change - I was not properly provisioned for HDef, but I was for HBO, so I got all of the channels EXCEPT for the HDef channels. After two calls and another service call it was determined that I didn't have the proper "rates" (Comcast lingo for my package wasn't set up properly), and it was fixed. This is something they should be able to fix over the phone.

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #1800
joe mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
OK - the cable guy came while I was @ my afternoon appt instead of 2-5 like I asked. My roommate watched him install the card and there were no error messages. He didn't know to check the HiDef stuff before letting the installer leave. They only checked analog/digital.

Anyone have any suggestions? I re-ran guided setup, to no avail.
Same thing happened to me yesterday. My wife took the tech's word that everything worked fine... It doesn't. I get no HD, except for locals, and no SD Premium. This is my 2nd S3, the first one works fine. I have another appointment on Saturday.
joe mama is offline   Reply With Quote