TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #211
mr_pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86
glad it worked out for you. Do you have an HD TV? If so how does it look with FIOS?

Steven
Well, Ive had HD over D*, HD from Cablevision and now HD from FiOS. I have both the s3 tivo on fios as well as their own dvr box (so I need 4 tuners, sue me )

I would rate the services/stb's Ive had in terms of pure picture quality from best to worst:

S3 Tivo
Cablevision HD DVR (SA8300HD)
FiOS HD DVR (Some Moto POS)
D* (Standalone Samsung HD box)

The PQ from FiOS through the S3 is a really noticable improvement over their own STB. Cablevisions STB was better than Verizons even - in terms of PQ.

I must admit though - the truly obnoxious amount of VOD available from fios has me using their STB more than I thought I would.
mr_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #212
ashu
User title defunct

Good it all worked out for you

You have to be the first person on this planet that rated the SA8300HD ABOVE the Moto 6412 (or family) - if indeed that's the Moto you have from FIOS. Unless you're ONLY talking about PQ!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #213
mr_pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Good it all worked out for you

You have to be the first person on this planet that rated the SA8300HD ABOVE the Moto 6412 (or family) - if indeed that's the Moto you have from FIOS. Unless you're ONLY talking about PQ!
I said "in terms of pure picture quality" - I thought that was pretty clear. He was asking about how it looked, so thats what I was rating - has nothing to do with features or usability.

But - I'm not sure at this point I would rate the Moto significantly above the SA8300 - they are both equally miserable in the usability department.
mr_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #214
ashu
User title defunct

Whoa - missed that Saw the "I would rate ..." and jumped straight to the list!

And I agree they're both miserable in terms of UI & reliability, compared to an S3.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #215
globalreset

Finally got my cablecards installed today. Had a horrible time of it too.

Had a morning appt scheduled. At around noon, I called customer service to see where they were. They said they lost my work order but would have someone out within the hour. 3 hours later a guy shows up with no cabled cards. He comes back in about 30 minutes with the cards.

Took about 10 minutes to get them all setup, though he had no idea how to do it. I told him to just hand me the cards and I would take care of it. Wrote down the serial numbers, inserted the first one, told him to activate it (which he did, rather quickly, on his laptop), inserted the second one, had him activate it (he had to "open a second port/outlet" for this to work, have no idea what that means). Once they were both running, I did get an error message from the TiVo saying that it couldn't decode all of the channels. I checked a lot of them (all the locals, all the HDs, all the premiums, and all the news channels) and I only found channel 71/520 missing. The tech was surprised by that but I told him that I understood it to be a known issue (thanks to this forum) and he didn't have to worry about it.

I was pleased to see that I have 100% signal strength on all channels. It's curious that I als have 100% on 71 and 520. In any case, the PQ looks great on my Sony Bravia XBR2 40" screen.

Btw, what is everyone using for the output format. At first, I selected Native, thinking that seemed like the best bet for a high-end lcd (just let the TV handle it). But I got really annoyed by the constant signal switching. I would see a tiny bit of screen noise, followed by a black screen for a second or two, then the show would appear in the proper resolution. When I set it to 1080i fixed, although there is some delay to tune the show, the screen never "blanks out" (I still see the TiVo info banner).
globalreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #216
ashu
User title defunct

For a TV with a good scaler, you should leave it to Native and let the TV scale up/deinterlace signal as needed. The TiVo has a decent scaler, but it isn't great. Decide based on picture quality, not (based) on the minor inconveniece of longer pauses during an occasional activity like Channel Surfing. In fact, teach yourself to stop Channel Surfing and only use the Now Playing List

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #217
globalreset

ashu, that is an excellent point. You are, essentially, preaching to the choir. This isn't my first TiVo and I abandoned channel surfing years ago. However, this is my first HDTV... And I can't help but surf the HD channels every once in a while. You're right though that this will definitely die down once my regular shows start back up again... I should probably switch it back to native.

Btw, I upgraded my series 3 to a 500gb drive today. Very painless. I'm excited about having 65 hours of HDTV recording space now.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #218
ashu
User title defunct

HD *does* make channel surfing addictive again. I have caught myself 10 minutes into the Sumo wrestling championship wondering why on EARTH I was watching that nonsense. The answer: Because it was in HD!

Using the NPL does have to be relearnt, once HD is combined with the convenience of an S3

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #219
acvthree

A great install for Fios

I had Verizon television installed today.

I've had the Verizon Fios for about two months, but the television portion was not turned on when I had the other services installed and I wanted to let few more S3s be installed before I tackled mine.

In one simple statement, I cannot imagine how this could have gone any better.

I was set up for an installation between 8:00 and 12:00. The installer called around 8:15 to say he would arrive in 10 minutes. This gave me time to fill up my coffee cup. :-)

He arrived on time and I had him move the truck to the back driveway. We went over the previously installed Fios which was a very clean install. I said I wanted his install to be just as clean. He said "no problem". We then went in and looked at the standard STB installation for the excersize room and the Tivo series 3 installation in the den.

We then discussed how we would hook up to my cable job. He wanted to replace all of the connectors and after seeing him do one, I was happy to have him change those out.

He first tested the signal strength coming from the ONT. We then ran two new cables to the location in the attic where I wanted to put the splitter. He drilled though the outside wall into the garage just next to where the Ethernet and power entered from the ONT. He placed a new connector on the end and connected to the ONT. He put a connector on the other cable to connec to the router (NIM) and did a clean cabling job next to the existing Ethernet line into the attic. He made some calculation based on the signal strength and chose a splitter with a number of links based on that signal strength. We moved into the attic. He mounted the splitter on the board where I have my home theater cableing connected. He put new connectors on all the cables, tested the signals and connected them to the splitter.

We then moved to the excercise room where he installed the STB. He put on new cables from the wall to the STB and from the STB to the TV. He tested the signal strength in between. He brought up the STB, showed me how it worked and even set up the remote to power the TV.

Onto the Series 3. I had made some joking comments when he arrived about him being the series 3 expert. He laughed but didn't say anything. When we sat down and started on the Tivo, I understood that it really wasn't a joke. He was very knowledgeable about the Series 3, even to the point of knowing that the slot 1 for the cable cards was on the bottom without looking at the back of the Tivo. I asked and he said he was installing one or two a week and that he really liked them and that he never had problems with the installs. He wrote the cable card numbers into his notepad and then started up his laptop. I turned everything on. He put both cards into the series 3. I mentioned that people seemed to have an easier time installing one at a time but he said it worked better with both in with the Verizon software. After installing the cable cards the cable card screen came up. He used the information from the cards to do the provisioning. All of that was done from the laptop with no call in to a support person. He provisioned the first one and the good "error" came up. He said "yep". He provisioned the second and when the "error" came up he said "yep" again. Obviously, this was old hat for him. It took about 10 minutes for all the shows to come up. The HBO didn't come up. He said "didn't you order HBO?" I said yes and he went back to the laptop. A few clicks later and HBO was up and running.

That was it. He gave me his card and said if I had any problems to call him first. That usually it was something minor and he could do most things with his laptop.

I asked for his managers email address so I could send him an email about what a great job this guy had done.

I believe this was one of the best installation experiences I've ever had.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #220
douggmc

Thumbs up Another FIOS TV installation experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree

I believe this was one of the best installation experiences I've ever had.

Al
I'll second that regarding my FIOS TV install in Tampa, FL. Very thorough and experienced installers (2 of them). As a side note, they were unionized CWA (I think "Communication Workers of America") that had both been with the Verizon (and the previous names) for years. Something to be said for the quality of decently paid unionized workers doing an install compared to the barely english speaking 20 year olds from Directv that invariably do poor jobs and have to come out multiple times!
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #221
resanders

{I believe this was one of the best installation experiences I've ever had.}

I live in New Jersey and can't wait to get FiOS TV installed on 1/14 and I hope my experience is as good as yours. Incidentally, has anyone had a successful NJ install, yet?
resanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #222
6079 Smith W
Minister of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by resanders
I live in New Jersey and can't wait to get FiOS TV installed on 1/14 and I hope my experience is as good as yours. Incidentally, has anyone had a successful NJ install, yet?
Red Bank, NJ here. I've had FIOS internet for almost a full year.

I had my FIOS TV install on 12/31, and it was completely smooth sailing.

The installer was very professional, and insisted on running all new coax rather than re-use the rat's nest of wire and splitters that had accumulated in this old house over the years.

I'm knowledgeable enough with the FIOS technology that he didn't mind me watching what was happening and asking questions. He wasn't very comfortable with the computer part of the FIOS stuff yet, so was thankful for my assistance.

When it came time to plug in the cablecards into the brand new S3, everything went through right the first time, even though this was his first time activating a TiVo. In fact, he made sure to take notes on what he had put in the various fields in his laptop service activation application.

Start to finish it took a good 7 to 8 hours, most of that time being the running of the new coax.

Just waiting for my Lifetime DirecTV service transfer to go through and I'll be off DTV for good.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #223
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
Yes, it'd be a hassle for PPV and you would lose OnDemand, but you don't want their intereactive guide anyway, Tivo will have its own built in.
You can always rent one of their boxes for interactive PPV and OnDemand. I think the box costs me 10 bucks a month or so. Much of the time I call it in anyway so I can record it and watch it on my TiVo (if you use their box it will only record on their box, but it is convenient late at night when you don't feel like calling). Overall it hasn't really been a big deal.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #224
Ilene

To acvthree - I think that you can thank some of us early trail blazers for the NTX Verizon area and our TiVo installs for making yours go easy. I am very excited for you.
You can see from my other posts in this forum, my installer was less than thrilled to be installing cableCards, but non the less we were successful - it took almost 10 hours for wire, etc for both internet and tv. All was well until one of the cards failed. The bottom card was actually causing both tuners to pixellate.

Called Verizon and the tech shows up for the appt nearly 6 hours late.
The guy that came, didn't have a card with him - had to go back to the office in the dark as it was almost 7 pm, couldn't find one, saw one laying on a desk (I think) and brought it. It was a bad card (confirmed it today). Another tech came over to help him out and he knew what he was doing. He did the install on his computer (was it Tim who helped you?). Tim also replaced my splitters, tested my signals. I also added gold caps from RadioShack over the unused coaxs to prevent interference. It pixellated, but quit after I did a restart.

Since the new card was bad, I could only watch non local stations on card2, but at least I had 2 tuners. So we watched CNN, ESPN, National Geographic etc on tuner 2 and ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox on card1.
So I took the chance to see if the 3rd time was the charm. So far I can say, it was.
2 guys showed up (not sure why - unless one was learning). When I told him what I needed, he said - don't worry - no problem. He knew what to do. I showed him the Conditional Access screens for both cards. He agreed that card1 was bad. I took out card1 and replaced it with his new card - which he assured me was new and good. Almost immediately, the MMI screen came up. He then called in to have it activated. Got the "good" error message! Yea! Had to restart the TiVo to get the accessing channels message (I was praying because I don't think it is recommended to do this), but he said it was OK for me to that and I am proud to say that we are good to go.

GO NORTH TEXAS VERIZON FIOS! I love that it is all digital! Hurry and order today, prices go up tomorrow.
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #225
String

I have install for FIOS in Montgomery County, MD setup for Friday. I ran the setup for my S3 last night. The issue is that They do not have MC FIOS as an option during setup.

Is anyone else already setup in my area? How do I get tivo to do the hookup for channels Etc. for FIOS in my area.

Thanks
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #226
JohnBrowning

The techs across the country are obviously now getting more experience with CableCards. When I first had mine installed in my Mitsu TV, it took several days until I got the right VZ support tech on the phone that knew how to properly cold init the cablecard. Everything has work just fine ever since. When I installed my S3, I just moved the cablecard from the TV to the TiVo and all is happy! VZ makes it convenient by NOT marrying the CC to the device. I've not bothered getting a second CC for my TiVo. If I can get a multistream card in the future, I'll probably do that.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #227
jacobp

String,
FIOS TV is available in Montgomery County, MD??? I live in Potomac and I did not realize it was available yet. Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #228
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp
String,
FIOS TV is available in Montgomery County, MD??? I live in Potomac and I did not realize it was available yet. Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking.
MoCo approved it in late November, but I'm not aware of any area being activated yet. I call Verizon about every two weeks, and they keep telling me it hasn't been activated yet in MoCo anywhere, but it's coming soon.

Perhaps the previous poster is confused, or the installer is confused, and they're just installing internet now? MoCo isn't even listed on the channel lineup page yet (although Anne Arundal and Howard are listed).

I'd imagine once it's available in MoCo, it'll show up on the Tivo.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #229
ashu
User title defunct

I doubt VZ changes their channel lineup much. Just run GS (for MoCo) with Howard or Fairfax/Herndon as your location

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #230
passatdream

I am running a Series3 with two Verizon FiOS cable cards (with HD) and I'm not having a single problem. Installation was quick and worked perfectly the first time. Love it.
passatdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #231
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
MoCo approved it in late November, but I'm not aware of any area being activated yet. I call Verizon about every two weeks, and they keep telling me it hasn't been activated yet in MoCo anywhere, but it's coming soon.

Perhaps the previous poster is confused, or the installer is confused, and they're just installing internet now? MoCo isn't even listed on the channel lineup page yet (although Anne Arundal and Howard are listed).

I'd imagine once it's available in MoCo, it'll show up on the Tivo.
No confusion here. I have install setup for Friday. A friend of mine had his installed today. MoCo approved Verizon at the end of november, and my neighborhood started allowing installs at the end of december. I am in Silver Spring.

If you need I can post a pic on Friday.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #232
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
I doubt VZ changes their channel lineup much. Just run GS (for MoCo) with Howard or Fairfax/Herndon as your location
On my tivo, it does not have Fairfax/Herndon, just Howard/Annapolis. The issue, I believe, is that they get baltimore locals, not DC Locals. Gotta be up and running for Jack on sunday night!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #233
dtee

Arrow Fios CC Experience.

I had the FiOS installation last Wednesday. All went reasonably well, until I realized I was getting pixelation on only 5 HD channels. Had FiOS out today to swap cards and the cards came locked and were not able to be swapped . So they checked out everything else from the ONT to the Tivo and all measured very well. Their guru said it had to be the tuners in the TiVo as the Cable card is only an encryption device. I called TiVO for an RA number and they said it had to be bad cable cards! All the other channels are terrific and the HD is fine on all but those five channels. When I let the TiVO test the signal strength on these channels it is variable, form 82-94, and as such pixelates. I am now frustrated as I don't know who is really right. TiVo says if it was the box all the channels and the guide would pixelate. Any ideas would be appreciated. The kicker is on both tuners the problem is identical with two different cable cards.
dtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #234
resanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6079 Smith W
Red Bank, NJ here. I've had FIOS internet for almost a full year.

I had my FIOS TV install on 12/31, and it was completely smooth sailing.

The installer was very professional, and insisted on running all new coax rather than re-use the rat's nest of wire and splitters that had accumulated in this old house over the years.

I'm knowledgeable enough with the FIOS technology that he didn't mind me watching what was happening and asking questions. He wasn't very comfortable with the computer part of the FIOS stuff yet, so was thankful for my assistance.

When it came time to plug in the cablecards into the brand new S3, everything went through right the first time, even though this was his first time activating a TiVo. In fact, he made sure to take notes on what he had put in the various fields in his laptop service activation application.

Start to finish it took a good 7 to 8 hours, most of that time being the running of the new coax.

Just waiting for my Lifetime DirecTV service transfer to go through and I'll be off DTV for good.
That's good to know. I've had two S3's for a couple months and it's running fine with Cablevision CCs although it took them about five to six visits (I understand it's a learning process) and one replacement S3 (bent pin in slot 1) later. But, I think Verizon has a more seamless approach to installation... they use laptops for activating and binding the cards which should be a lot quicker than sitting on the phone. I'll let you know how my install goes.
resanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #235
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by resanders
That's good to know. I've had two S3's for a couple months and it's running fine with Cablevision CCs although it took them about five to six visits (I understand it's a learning process) and one replacement S3 (bent pin in slot 1) later. But, I think Verizon has a more seamless approach to installation... they use laptops for activating and binding the cards which should be a lot quicker than sitting on the phone. I'll let you know how my install goes.
They don't actually appear to bind the cards. In my case, I can swap the cards freely between the slots, and I know others have said they can take the cards out of the S3 and put them in their TVs without problem.

But I do agree that Verizon installs do seem more seemless - it makes a lot of sense for them have those laptops, since they can enter all of the information right there.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #236
globalreset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtee
I had the FiOS installation last Wednesday. All went reasonably well, until I realized I was getting pixelation on only 5 HD channels. Had FiOS out today to swap cards and the cards came locked and were not able to be swapped . So they checked out everything else from the ONT to the Tivo and all measured very well. Their guru said it had to be the tuners in the TiVo as the Cable card is only an encryption device. I called TiVO for an RA number and they said it had to be bad cable cards! All the other channels are terrific and the HD is fine on all but those five channels. When I let the TiVO test the signal strength on these channels it is variable, form 82-94, and as such pixelates. I am now frustrated as I don't know who is really right. TiVo says if it was the box all the channels and the guide would pixelate. Any ideas would be appreciated. The kicker is on both tuners the problem is identical with two different cable cards.
I just started getting the same problem as of last night (Jan 9). I've had the cable cards in the TiVo working fine since Dec 27. But last night, I noticed my recording of House was severely pixelated and dropping audio. I switched over to the FiOS DVR and it was fine (luckily I hadn't cleared my scheduled recordings off their box yet). I noticed that I'm only getting it on the HD Locals. All other channels (including all other HD channels) work fine. And my signal strength reads 100 for both cards when they are on any other HD channel. As soon as I tune an HD local (on either card), I see the variable signal strength (82-94-ish) with an occasion NOT AVAILABLE message.

I'm at a loss as to what other debug I can do. I unplugged my router from the coax, thinking that the IP routing it does over coax could be interfering. I unplugged the tv's in the house from the coax as well. There was no change. I've rebooted the TiVo and reseated the cards as well....

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?? I'm very anxious for a solution.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #237
TexasAg

I had the exact same problem on HD locals only. I did two things.

First, I put a 9db attenuator (actually a 6db one + a 3db one) that Verizon left when they did my install. The signal is pretty hot since it gets generated at the side of your house rather than 500 feet away. That dropped my average signal strength to around 97 for HD locals.

Second, I got a terminating resistor from Radio Shack for the OTA antenna input (the second coax input) on the S3.

Not real sure which one fixed the problem, but I don't have that problem any more.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #238
globalreset

Thanks for the feedback, TexasAg. I'll be stopping by Altex today to try to grab a terminator and an attenuator. I'll report back later if that fixes it for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #239
JohnBrowning

Just this past weekend I started having pixelation issues only on the local HD channels. All of the cable HD channels are fine except Discovery HD. It has always had pixelation problems for me. I need to move the cableCARD back into the TV to see if it is consistent.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #240
TexasAg

My S3 rebooted last night, and we have begun receiving channel 71 (CNN Headline News). Not sure why - I don't think we got a software update (maybe we did and it was just a small fix).

This was one of the channels that the S3 said we were receiving, but it simply displayed a black screen.

Last edited by TexasAg : 01-12-2007 at 10:04 AM.