TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #1261
feldon23
MythBuster

I really hope we see a TiVo Series 3 for DirecTV.

I tinkered with the $800 cable TiVo Series 3 at Best Buy. Too bad you can't do anything but watch the 120 second clip. I wanted to go through the menus and play back example shows.

Chatted up the Best Buy employee. He said they are selling at a decent clip. I asked him if the people who buy them are already very knowledgeable about them before they buy them and he said oh yes. I mentioned CableCard to him and that they require 2 cards from Time Warner, at which point the TiVo is actually functioning as its own cable box. He had no clue of course.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #1262
Silo24X

Whole House Video Issue:

Well that seems to solve 95% of my initial whole house video issues.

With the limited drive size of the stock HD Tivo, our other DirecTiVos and our travel schedule - what we record on that Tivo will be "sit down and watch" programs rather than the "walk around the house" variety. With the exception of visiting the kitchen/bar which has the 2nd plasma.

I bought a component video and digital audio selector with two outputs so that took care of seeing HDTV programming on the two plasma screens via component.

Then on the few instances where one of us wanted to finish watching a program in another room, the one watching the plasma would just have to watch the 480 signal.

Not a perfect solution and one I hope gets addressed in the next version, but workable for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silo24X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #1263
slocko

are you serious? when is this expected to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
Pretty soon, the HR10-250 will be useless for HBO, Showtime, etc.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #1264
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko
are you serious? when is this expected to happen?
It CAN'T happen before late 2007, when DirecTV's 2 satellites capable of national coverage in the Ka-band should be launched and operating. Once that milestone is reached, it probably WON'T happen for some time, probably at least another year, since it'll affect current HD subscribers who do not yet have a 5-LNB Ka-band dish or Ka-band/MPEG4 HD receivers; it'll simply take time for DirecTV to get those changed out whenever they decide to begin to force the issue.

So while it might happen as soon as early 2008, I doubt it'll happen until late 2008 or 2009 at the earliest.

And if anything happens to prevent both of the new satellites being launched in 2007 from operating fully, then expect a further delay on this timetable.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #1265
Paul Wozniak

Why would Direct move these signals? The space is already allocated where they are. They can add the mpeg 4 signal for HBO, etc... on the new birds without having to discontinue the old signals.
Paul Wozniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #1266
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wozniak
Why would Direct move these signals? The space is already allocated where they are. They can add the mpeg 4 signal for HBO, etc... on the new birds without having to discontinue the old signals.
There will be a time when they want to reclaim that bandwidth for other uses, but they'll have to balance that with the need/desire for current customers with non-mpeg4 HD equipment to receive those channels as well as the logistics of ensuring everyone has ample time to upgrade their equipment and dish before turning it off.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #1267
worc33

HR 10-250 for local channels

I'm a DirecTV subscriber - looking to upgrade to HD. I'm a TiVO devotee and from this forum it's clear the new DirecTV HD DVR is a disaster. I'd like to get a HR10-250 in the secondary market but I need to clarify these two problems - this thread has been helpful but its a little bit above my technical understanding.

1) Will I be able to get my local affiliates in HD with the HR 10-250?
2) Will some HD channels (eg, HBO) not be available on the HR 10-250 in the future?

Can anyone clarify this? First is a much bigger issue for the time being. Any other recommendations for a TiVO user who wants to get DirecTV HD?

thank you.
worc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #1268
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by worc33
I'm a DirecTV subscriber - looking to upgrade to HD. I'm a TiVO devotee and from this forum it's clear the new DirecTV HD DVR is a disaster. I'd like to get a HR10-250 in the secondary market but I need to clarify these two problems - this thread has been helpful but its a little bit above my technical understanding.

1) Will I be able to get my local affiliates in HD with the HR 10-250?
2) Will some HD channels (eg, HBO) not be available on the HR 10-250 in the future?

Can anyone clarify this? First is a much bigger issue for the time being. Any other recommendations for a TiVO user who wants to get DirecTV HD?
1) Only NYC and LA major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are available in HD over MPEG2/Ku-band satellites that the HR10-250 could receive; the HR10-250 can also tune digital ATSC broadcasts if you have an antenna, and that'd let you record all the stations you can receive, not just the major networks.

2) Sooner or later the HD MPEG-2 channels will be cut off and become MPEG-4/Ka-band only. Probably not for at least 1 to 2 years, but there will come a time. The HR10-250 will always work for SD Ku-band channels and OTA digital (HD and otherwise) broadcasts.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #1269
worc33

Would an antenna allow me to receive the Boston networks in HD? Would I be able to integrate that feed into the HR10-250 or would I have to switch to another Video input (eg, VIDEO 1 on my Sony TV) whenever I want to watch broadcasts in HD? I dont mind spending some $$ on equipment but I also dont want a hassle once its all installed.

Could you define what an ATSC broadcast is?
worc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #1270
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Would an antenna allow me to receive the Boston networks in HD? Would I be able to integrate that feed into the HR10-250 or would I have to switch to another Video input (eg, VIDEO 1 on my Sony TV) whenever I want to watch broadcasts in HD? I dont mind spending some $$ on equipment but I also dont want a hassle once its all installed.

Go to antennaweb.org and enter the info requested. It will tell you if you can receive HD OTA broadcasts and will recommend an antenna type.

Assuming you can receive them, the OTA HD channels will be integrated in the HR10-250's program guide. You will not have to change inputs on your TV. You will have to re-run guided setup to tell the HR10-250 to use both antenna and satellite.

ATSC means digital transmission.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #1271
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Local digital television stations received over an antenna are fully integrated with everything the HR10-250 does; they're part of the guide; they're part of all recording options; they're directly tunable by channel number; etc. It's just they are received via a local antenna instead of via a satellite dish. If there's no issues receiving the signal in your geographic location, they'll be just like any other DirecTV channel on the HR10-250.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #1272
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I'm a DirecTV subscriber - looking to upgrade to HD. I'm a TiVO devotee and from this forum it's clear the new DirecTV HD DVR is a disaster.
maybe you should try other forums...I would not call the new HD DVR a disaster...since it's not a Tivo unit, this is not the forum to use to do your research on it...try DBStalk
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #1273
aaafence rider

Can anybody tell me how to check much recording capacity is left on my HR10-250
aaafence rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #1274
jhays

The only way with an unhacked unit is to activate Tivo Suggestions. If you have several pages of Suggestions, you have plenty of room. If Suggestions are down to less than a page, you are running out of space.
jhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #1275
aaafence rider

I am considering buying another HR10-250 for a second HD hookup in the house in another room; currently I get the local cannels in HD on my other HR10-250. (I live in NY); Considering I will have to pay 4-5 hundred for a second HR10-250, does anybody have an opinion on whether I should lay out the cash or wait for the MPeg-4 equipment to come around (I have read posts that the HR10-250 will be rendered disabled from a local channel HD standpoint); Also, is the Series 3 the equivalent to the HR10-250? (sorry if this last part of the question is dumb)..thanks for input
aaafence rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #1276
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaafence rider
Considering I will have to pay 4-5 hundred for a second HR10-250, does anybody have an opinion on whether I should lay out the cash or wait for the MPeg-4 equipment to come around (I have read posts that the HR10-250 will be rendered disabled from a local channel HD standpoint); Also, is the Series 3 the equivalent to the HR10-250? (sorry if this last part of the question is dumb)..thanks for input
If you are receiving your locals via satellite, then, yes, locals will eventually be broadcast only in MPEG-4 format, which the HR10-250 cannot receive. Some posts indicate that this will happen sometime in 2007. Others say later, but no official word yet.

If you can receive locals OTA with an external antenna, then you can continue to do so with the HR10-250.

The Series 3 Tivo is for cable/OTA only.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #1277
hfhlt004

Smile Diretv HR10-250 and Directv HR20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaafence rider
I am considering buying another HR10-250 for a second HD hookup in the house in another room; currently I get the local cannels in HD on my other HR10-250. (I live in NY); Considering I will have to pay 4-5 hundred for a second HR10-250, does anybody have an opinion on whether I should lay out the cash or wait for the MPeg-4 equipment to come around (I have read posts that the HR10-250 will be rendered disabled from a local channel HD standpoint); Also, is the Series 3 the equivalent to the HR10-250? (sorry if this last part of the question is dumb)..thanks for input
I was one who initially regretted getting the Directv HR20, but after about 3 months, this box is improving almost up to the standards for DirecTIVO. I figured if I were to stay with Directv, I would have to adapt. I also like the greater recording capacity of the new box.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #1278
kenferm

couple other questions about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
1) Only NYC and LA major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are available in HD over MPEG2/Ku-band satellites that the HR10-250 could receive; the HR10-250 can also tune digital ATSC broadcasts if you have an antenna, and that'd let you record all the stations you can receive, not just the major networks.

2) Sooner or later the HD MPEG-2 channels will be cut off and become MPEG-4/Ka-band only. Probably not for at least 1 to 2 years, but there will come a time. The HR10-250 will always work for SD Ku-band channels and OTA digital (HD and otherwise) broadcasts.

Just to clarify - regarding the ability in the NYC/NJ area (i live 25 miles outside of NYC), if I bought the HR10-250, I would be able to get local channels in HD using MPEG2/KU-band satellites - the question I have is whether that utitlizes the 3LNB dish or do I have to get the 5LNB dish for this? Also, am I buying this service through Tivo or through Direct TV??
kenferm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #1279
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you qualify for NYC locals, theoretically you can get the four major networks in HD with an HR10 and a 3-LNB dish. Whether or not DirecTV will let you do so is another question. All of your service is through DirecTV. TiVo is a service contractor to DirecTV and you do not have any direct dealings with them. There are other HD locals you will not be able to receive with the HR10.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #1280
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenferm
Just to clarify - regarding the ability in the NYC/NJ area (i live 25 miles outside of NYC), if I bought the HR10-250, I would be able to get local channels in HD using MPEG2/KU-band satellites - the question I have is whether that utitlizes the 3LNB dish or do I have to get the 5LNB dish for this?
The 3-LNB dish is all you'll need. "Local channels in HD" is just ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. No PBS, CW, MTN or anything else in HD.

But at 25 miles from NYC, you'd probably do rather well with an antenna, too... even an indoor one.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #1281
kenferm

Quote:
The 3-LNB dish is all you'll need. "Local channels in HD" is just ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. No PBS, CW, MTN or anything else in HD.

But at 25 miles from NYC, you'd probably do rather well with an antenna, too... even an indoor one.

Am I missing something or does it seem that right now, there's no great way to do this. I just checked out the Direct TV site and over there, they are all upset w/ the Direct TV HD DVR box (HR20 700) and apparently even CNET has written to DIrect TV because of all of the customer complaints on their site about that box. But Tivo is limited in its abilities with Direct TV because they don't do business anymore and effectively, if you buy the HR 250 unit, its a ticking time bomb because ultimately, you won't be able to get the HD Local channels when they switch to MPEG 4?

Am I getting this right? All I want is the great software of Tivo in HD for all HD channels through Direct TV, is that too much to ask for?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #1282
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Am I missing something or does it seem that right now, there's no great way to do this. I just checked out the Direct TV site and over there, they are all upset w/ the Direct TV HD DVR box (HR20 700) and apparently even CNET has written to DIrect TV because of all of the customer complaints on their site about that box. But Tivo is limited in its abilities with Direct TV because they don't do business anymore and effectively, if you buy the HR 250 unit, its a ticking time bomb because ultimately, you won't be able to get the HD Local channels when they switch to MPEG 4?

Am I getting this right? All I want is the great software of Tivo in HD for all HD channels through Direct TV, is that too much to ask for?
Sooner or later NYC locals will probably move to be MPEG4/Ka-band only, and that'll require one of the newer receivers and a 5-LNB dish. But as to exactly when that'll happen...

a) Not until both national-footprint Ka-band satellites are launched in mid- and late-2007 and become operational.

b) Not until DirecTV has had a chance to inform all those who receive the NYC local HD channels they're going away and need new equipment and have the opportunity to get such new equipment and have it installed.

They'll probably be around at least through a good portion of 2008.

But no matter what, the HR10-250 can record local HD channels via antenna, too. So as long as it stays an active receiver on your DirecTV account, you'll always be able to record local HD channels that way since they're unaffected by DirecTV moving to MPEG4. So if you can receive your locals via antenna, the HR10-250 is, at worst, always going to be able to record your local HD and all the DirecTV SD (and HD) channels available via Ku-band in MPEG2.

Finally, when (and if) the time comes where you need something in MPEG4/Ka-band, you'll probably still be able to get a mostly free replacement DVR from DirecTV, or you could just add a DirecTV receiver to your account that can record those channels. You don't have to give up your HR10-250, you can just supplement it.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #1283
kenferm

Quote:
Sooner or later NYC locals will probably move to be MPEG4/Ka-band only, and that'll require one of the newer receivers and a 5-LNB dish. But as to exactly when that'll happen...

a) Not until both national-footprint Ka-band satellites are launched in mid- and late-2007 and become operational.

b) Not until DirecTV has had a chance to inform all those who receive the NYC local HD channels they're going away and need new equipment and have the opportunity to get such new equipment and have it installed.

They'll probably be around at least through a good portion of 2008.

But no matter what, the HR10-250 can record local HD channels via antenna, too. So as long as it stays an active receiver on your DirecTV account, you'll always be able to record local HD channels that way since they're unaffected by DirecTV moving to MPEG4. So if you can receive your locals via antenna, the HR10-250 is, at worst, always going to be able to record your local HD and all the DirecTV SD (and HD) channels available via Ku-band in MPEG2.

Finally, when (and if) the time comes where you need something in MPEG4/Ka-band, you'll probably still be able to get a mostly free replacement DVR from DirecTV, or you could just add a DirecTV receiver to your account that can record those channels. You don't have to give up your HR10-250, you can just supplement it.

Regarding the antenna that you refer to, while I know this isn't the antenna forum, can you suggest a model for this? Is this an antenna I would put on the roof next to the dish itself??
Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #1284
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Regarding the antenna that you refer to, while I know this isn't the antenna forum, can you suggest a model for this? Is this an antenna I would put on the roof next to the dish itself??
If you can put one out by the dish, I'd suggest the Winegard SquareShooter. If you want to try one inside first, find a Zenith Silver Sensor.

Outside is always better than inside. But at only 25 miles from NYC, unless you're in some deep valley and line-of-sight to the Empire State Building is blocked by a massive amount of earth and rock, you should do pretty well with either.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #1285
Aragorn

HR10-250 Direct TV Tivo

Unit went down hard last night, only thing I got for days is Direct TV logo and said installing nothing happen. Then I got the grey screen said starting up nothing... Most likely hard drive failure. Fixed the Hard Drive with some Utilities, so now I can use that via a external drive now for my computers. My question is where can I find the software to re-install on to this hard drive? I have used Weeknees and PTV Upgrades, but there 200 plus bucks, and now I just saw the 250's going for $250 at CompUSA... The good news is Direct TV is sending me there newest DVR but there goes Tivo
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #1286
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
Unit went down hard last night, only thing I got for days is Direct TV logo and said installing nothing happen. Then I got the grey screen said starting up nothing... Most likely hard drive failure. Fixed the Hard Drive with some Utilities, so now I can use that via a external drive now for my computers. My question is where can I find the software to re-install on to this hard drive? I have used Weeknees and PTV Upgrades, but there 200 plus bucks, and now I just saw the 250's going for $250 at CompUSA... The good news is Direct TV is sending me there newest DVR but there goes Tivo
I would suggest posting in the upgrade forum.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=25
Also, for twenty you can try instantcake.
I have not used instantcake so no idea if it is a good value or not.
Tim S
http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm
Old 01-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #1287
nidan69

I had planned to switch my DirecTV service to HD in the near future and have been looking for some HD DirecTiVos (used or new) to buy. Reading this, I am however beginning to think that it may be a waste of my money if DirecTV switches their format to MPEG4. Being that the Series 3 Standalone HD TiVo is not compatible with DirecTV, what other options does one have (I don't want to switch to the DirecTV DVR)? Any ideas anybody?
nidan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #1288
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Get cable?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #1289
nidan69

I thought about that, but I would need to buy several stand alone TiVo's and that could become very pricy to say the least. Any word if TiVo has any plans for satellite users?
nidan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #1290
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidan69
I had planned to switch my DirecTV service to HD in the near future and have been looking for some HD DirecTiVos (used or new) to buy. Reading this, I am however beginning to think that it may be a waste of my money if DirecTV switches their format to MPEG4. Being that the Series 3 Standalone HD TiVo is not compatible with DirecTV, what other options does one have (I don't want to switch to the DirecTV DVR)? Any ideas anybody?
Without the cooperation of the satellite provider, there's nothing TiVo or any other third party really can do with satellite signals.

Figure you've got a year or two of the current MPEG2 HD channels on DirecTV remaining around, at least. After that, your HR10-250 doesn't become useless/worthless, it'll just not be able to record the MPEG4 material; it'll still get all the MPEG2 material, including all over the air digital/HD stations you can receive by antenna, and all the DirecTV SD/Ku-band programming. Everyone's viewing habits are, of course, different, but excluding theatrical movies, it seems to me that for the average viewer, there's more HD over-the-air than via cable channels. There's nothing wrong with the idea of using the HR10-250 with DirecTV for the forseeable future and supplementing it with one HR20 for the MPEG4 material.

The TiVo Series 3 unit is the most flexible right now -- but limited to cable and over the air digital channels, not satellite. However there's at least the ability to use it most anywhere in the country since most areas are served by cable companies offering CableCard service. It's a shame the FCC hasn't seen fit to mandate the satellite companies also develop a way that third parties can create products around their video services. Maybe one day.

Don't worry too much about the future beyond a year or so -- you'll never feel safe making a decision -- things can change rather rapidly. And frankly I think the only real answer to your question is that you need to seriously look at cable now, because at least as things look now, that's about the only way you'll get the services/features that you want.