Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #1651
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Your emphasis makes it seem as though you are very sure you are right, but I don't think you've had the opportunity to read the filings of Tivo and the Cable Companies before the FCC. Currently, they are battling over the FCC's July 07 deadline for Comcast (and other cablecos) to start using cable cards in its own boxes. Both Tivo and the CableCompanies, and the FCC itself, recognize them as competitors. Tivo and the Cable Companies are battling furiously, with Comcast among other cablecos trying to delay or eliminate that deadline requirement, and Tivo fighting for it. Partners don't act like that. But don't take my word for it. Read their own written statements.
So maybe they disagree on that particular point. Maybe Comcast would prefer TiVo not to making the Series3. They don't have to be best pals, but they ARE partners whether you think so or not. Comcast is paying TiVo to develop software. Do you hire your bitter competitor to write code for your product in business? Does that make sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #1652
oysterhead

Oakland, CA

Comcast guy came yesterday...on time...brought 4 cards just in case...he read through the Tivo instructions even though he had done one before...installed the cards with no problem. All channels come in great. No issues!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice, I'm part of the S3 crowd now!
oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #1653
DeathRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
So maybe they disagree on that particular point. Maybe Comcast would prefer TiVo not to making the Series3. They don't have to be best pals, but they ARE partners whether you think so or not. Comcast is paying TiVo to develop software. Do you hire your bitter competitor to write code for your product in business? Does that make sense?
Why not, if they have a superior product?

If the cablecos win, then they can still put theTiVo software in their DVRs and possbly kill future sales of TiVos by offering the "same" service/quality through them. Or they can just "stop" development and pay TiVo for services rendered...

If they lose, then they are further along towards competitiveness than if they sat on the sidelines. They would have a far better competitive product than before.

We want the cable cos to lose, so even if a customer gets a DVR from the cable co, iVo is still getting revenue. And with better competition, might be better TiVo pricing (and TiVo wouldn't have to dump so much money into the legal fees).

Didn't Microsoft purchase a portion of Apple afew years back? Does that make sense?
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #1654
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRider
Didn't Microsoft purchase a portion of Apple afew years back? Does that make sense?
They did. MicroSoft's Apple software business is very profitable for them. They're competitors in the OS market, but that competition saved them fom anti-trust lawsuits. MicroSoft has sound business reasons for wanting Apple as a competitor.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #1655
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Is This an Omen?

So I just got off the phone w/ Comcast to schedule the truck roll for the CCs.

Apparently, they are merging with Adelphia in the NoVa area where I reside and the CCC was an Adelphia rep - but he could 'take care of Comcast customers'.
So after the 15 minute hold, the painful experience of having him trying to find my account, and him digging around for the 'upgrade' to CCs, he says that they are not avail in my area.

He suggested I go to my local office. Since I need to pay the bill, I'll do just that, and see what happens. Funny, another Reston resident had no issues...

My luck I guess. Or am I missing the 'secret squirrel password' to get what I need? Any Local NoVa Comcast cutomers have similar difficulty? Can anyone suggest the next step(s)?

Ok, I'm gonna start reading this 56 page thread from start to finish... BBL.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #1656
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
They don't have to be best pals, but they ARE partners whether you think so or not. Comcast is paying TiVo to develop software.
The word "partners" can mean entirely different things to different people, I suppose. Dictionary.com defines partner to be "a contributor of capital in a business or a joint venture, usually sharing its risks and profits." So that's a pretty strong word to describe the business relationship between Tivo and Comcast, at least as the word is generally understood. Again, as in your last message, your emphasis indicates you are quite certain of the depth of Tivo and Comcast's relationship, despite the war they are fighting at the FCC. The US bought titanium from the USSR during the Cold War, but that did not make them partners if you ask most people. You are entitled to your own definition, of course.

Do you have any documentary evidence to show Tivo and Comcast are sharing profits? Or that at least rebuts the documents available at the FCC that say they are enemies? My guess is that you do not. As far as the future of the industry and customer choice, in my opinion the proposed interface licensing plan is small potatoes compared to the economic impact of the watershed battle now pending at the FCC.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #1657
bguzik
Barry R. Guzik

It is documented and well known that TiVo and Comcast are jointly developing a TiVo based interface for Comcast's Motorola and Scientific Atlanta Set-Top boxes. This is scheduled for release sometime in Q1 2007 in certain markets.

So, I would venture to say that would make them partners. However, CableCards are a different thing altogether. All of the MSOs have made no bones about the fact that they absolutely hate CC and would not deploy them unless forced to do so by the FCC.

Be that as it may, my new TiVo Series 3 is working just fine now in SW PA former Adelphia (now Comcast) market. There was however much "pain" in the installation.

Everyone here should keep in mind that "Provisioning" and "Billing" are two completely different "computer" systems. The actual "Provisioning" computer systems are ONLY allowed to be accessed by MSO System administrative personnel. All other employees must go through the "Billing System" interface. This is were most of the problems lie. If the correct codes are not entered in the "Billing System", that system can never correctly inform the actual Provisioning Servers of what you're authorized to receive. In addition, if there is a "disconnect" between the Billing platform and the Provisioning Servers, it doesn't matter HOW correct your entries look in the "Billing" screens. Until the actual Provisioning Servers have the correct information, you will be unauthorized.

(And this my friends was exactly MY issue for installation....but no one at Comcast/Adelphia had a clue about this. After several days of "pain", I was finally able to speak to someone who followed my instructions and was able to get the CCs working....unfortunately, I already KNOW my bill is going to be incorrect....which is most likely going to screw up my CCs authorization once they correct...we'll see...)

If I could make one suggestion here for everyone about CC install (Which I'm sure has been mentioned already)....DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, let them put all the CCs on your account at once! DO ONE CC at a time, make sure it works, and then move on to add the next card to your account.

Quote:
The word "partners" can mean entirely different things to different people, I suppose. Dictionary.com defines partner to be "a contributor of capital in a business or a joint venture, usually sharing its risks and profits." So that's a pretty strong word to describe the business relationship between Tivo and Comcast, at least as the word is generally understood. Again, as in your last message, your emphasis indicates you are quite certain of the depth of Tivo and Comcast's relationship, despite the war they are fighting at the FCC. The US bought titanium from the USSR during the Cold War, but that did not make them partners if you ask most people. You are entitled to your own definition, of course.

Do you have any documentary evidence to show Tivo and Comcast are sharing profits? Or that at least rebuts the documents available at the FCC that say they are enemies? My guess is that you do not. As far as the future of the industry and customer choice, in my opinion the proposed interface licensing plan is small potatoes compared to the economic impact of the watershed battle now pending at the FCC.

bguzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #1658
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER
So I just got off the phone w/ Comcast to schedule the truck roll for the CCs.

Apparently, they are merging with Adelphia in the NoVa area where I reside and the CCC was an Adelphia rep - but he could 'take care of Comcast customers'.
So after the 15 minute hold, the painful experience of having him trying to find my account, and him digging around for the 'upgrade' to CCs, he says that they are not avail in my area.

He suggested I go to my local office. Since I need to pay the bill, I'll do just that, and see what happens. Funny, another Reston resident had no issues...

My luck I guess. Or am I missing the 'secret squirrel password' to get what I need? Any Local NoVa Comcast cutomers have similar difficulty? Can anyone suggest the next step(s)?

Ok, I'm gonna start reading this 56 page thread from start to finish... BBL.
Hmmm... I'm also in an Adelphia->Comcast town in southern NH. Just yesterday, I called 1-800-COMCAST to set up the install for my CC's. It went a little something like this :

CSR : "What can I do for you today?"
me : "I'd like to add a couple of CableCards to my account."
CSR : "OK. You know that will increase your bill by $3.75/month? There will also be a one-time charge of $16 because we need to come to your home to install them cards."
me : "Yup."
CSR : "Do you want to also schedule the return of your DVR?"
me : "Not yet. Wanna make sure my new DVR works before returning the old one."
CSR: "OK. We'll be there on Tuesday".
me : "OK"

So, I never mentioned TiVo, nor did she. However, she probably knew it, since she asked me if I wanted to return my SA 8300 POS.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #1659
danitaz

Mostly good experience with Comcast in Denver

We were supposed to get our cable installed last Friday (we've been on Dish Network), but due to the storms in Denver they rescheduled for yesterday. While I didn't have things working properly by the time the tech left last night, I did have a tech get everything working for me over the phone this a.m. Last night all we were getting was unscrambled channels through the cards, and the operator at the office said that we were like 250 in the queue for hits, and the cable guy had to leave. He said that if things weren't working by morning to phone the office and someone there would either help me over the phone or set up a service call if it wouldn't work! Within about 15 minutes over the phone we got both cable cards working, and I'm set to go.

I would say that Comcast was very accommodating here in the Denver area. While the cable installer misread the order and didn't have the proper cards with him when he arrived (15 minutes early I might add) , the CO is about 10 miles from here, and he ran back and got them. Then he said that our signal was really bad and needed a house amp, but that he didn't have one on the truck and would setup another call for someone to come back. However, we weren't getting any signal to the cable cards so he called the CO and someone brought out the necessary equipment for the amplification. He knew to only set up one card at a time, but I think he got overanxious because he was running very late by then, and put the second card in after he saw that we could get the local HD channels, and didn't wait for the premium channels because the guy at the office said it might take 3 hours to clear the hit backlog! He was here about 3-1/2 hours, and had to leave, and I'm the patient type, so I didn't fuss too much about that. This morning I popped the second card out, a new tech and I got the first card working over the phone, I put the second card back in and boom, it was all perfect Reading about things like this on these boards helped tremendously in that, and knowing what to do from this side made the fix quite painless.

Maybe I was naive in being so confident that things would get worked out early this a.m., but hey, they did! So, I'm happy - Now all I have to do is phone Dish Network and cancel our service with them!

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #1660
nlowhor

Projected cost?

I'm trying to justify the purchase of a S3 by a decrease in my monthly cable bill. I'm currently using a Comcast DVR(6412, iGuide) in Montgomery Co., MD. I also have internet with Comcast.

I checked with them about cablecards and was told that the first would be free and the second $1.50. However, I didn't manage to get any good information on cheaper packages that I could get after ditching their DVR.

If I just want basically the standard cable channels, HD channels(including ESPN, TNT, etc), the sports pack, and internet, what should I expect to be charged? Also, what package should I ask about?(Extended Basic, Digital Classic?)

I'm heading over to the Comcast office later to find out more. Just need some info going in.

Thanks!
nlowhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #1661
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlowhor
I'm trying to justify the purchase of a S3 by a decrease in my monthly cable bill. I'm currently using a Comcast DVR(6412, iGuide) in Montgomery Co., MD. I also have internet with Comcast.
I'm heading over to the Comcast office later to find out more. Just need some info going in.
Comcast Montgomery County MD prices and packages
Old 01-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #1662
bobharp

No charge so far for cable cards with Comcast in Montgomery County plus I have $40 in credit due to botched service calls.
TiVo Series3
TiVo Series4
bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #1663
nlowhor

Comcast price list

Thanks for the link to the price list! There's nothing anywhere near that helpful on their website.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. I currently have the following:

VIP package: 99.95
HDTV converter: 5.00
DVR: 9.95
Sports Pack: 5.00

If I were to get a S3 and use 2 cablecards, I would only need the following to get all the same channels except for those between 100-200:

Basic and Preferred: 53.65
2 Cablecards: 1.50
Internet: 42.95
Sports Pack: 5.00

This setup would still get all the HD channels except the premium movie networks?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #1664
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Do you have any documentary evidence to show Tivo and Comcast are sharing profits? Or that at least rebuts the documents available at the FCC that say they are enemies? My guess is that you do not.

What, do you think they are just doing it for fun? Of course they both expect to make a profit...?

I guess I didn't contemplate that these companies might just be bored and wanted to develop a new software platform for free....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #1665
MPeter

It took 4 hours and 3 Comcast techs (contractors, actually), but my S3 is finally up and running with the CableCards.

They kept getting the "Acquiring Channels" screen with the CableCards, and numerous hits to the cards didn't resolve it. First tech didn't have a signal meter so he couldn't check the quality of the line. He was convinced it was my surge protector which the RG-6 was feeding through. Nope, didn't fix it. Ran a new line to the room from the basement. That didn't do it. Replaced the splitter. Had me do the Guided Setup again (another wasted 30 minutes). He finally gave up and his supervisor came by with another tech who had seen the S3 before.

The 3rd tech had a signal meter. Couldn't get a good reading so he went to the box outside and BINGO... there was a trap on the line. For some reason the 1st tech ignored it. After removing that and having the CableCards hit again the channels worked fine.

Man... I knew it might be tough getting a Comcast tech that knew anything about the S3, but they just made it hard on themselves by not having the signal meter to check the line at the start of the visit.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #1666
danitaz

I guess I'm really not "finished" yet after all - everything works EXCEPT the HDTV channels above my local channels. I.e., HBOHD works, and all of the Denver HD channels work, but Discovery, INHD, etc. do not. Grumble, grumble <g>.

Danita
danitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #1667
nlowhor

HD channels w/o digital tier?

I checked with Comcast today and was told that there would be no charge for cablecards. However, they said that I would need digital service at some level to get any HD channels beyond the locals. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #1668
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
I checked with Comcast today and was told that there would be no charge for cablecards. However, they said that I would need digital service at some level to get any HD channels beyond the locals. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Thanks!
Most likely the local HD channels are not encrypted, so you should receive them. Whether those channels are officially included in your service or not depends on your Comcast area.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #1669
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:

Thanks!
Beyond locals? Hmm, some have reported being able to pay the fee for the HD channels, Comcast doesn't seem to give a straight answer...

Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #1670
Tropic

I am going through hell to get the correct price from Comcast. Can somebody please verify that the only additional price I should be paying is $1.50 for the additional CC? I am being charged nothing for the CC but an $8.95 "outlet fee" for having two digital outlets. I have tried for more than 2 hours to explain to them that their pricing that came in the mail recently as well as the person on the phone that scheduled the CC appointment said that there is no $8.95 fee for the Tivo. I am on Comcast in Chester County, PA.

Thanks
Tropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #1671
Speeden71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeden71
Help. I am in cablecard hell!!!! I scheduled an HD upgrade(Comcast HD settop-no DVR plus 2 cablecards for my Series 3 Tivo for Dec 27. One hour before arrival I get a call. "Uh, we don't have any cablecards right now, do you still want us to bring the HD settop?" I asked why did they schedule the appointment if they didn't have any cable cards? "Well, they[whoever they is?] didn't know we were out. We had a big run because of Christmas." So I told them to bring the settop box and reschedule the cablecard delivery and not charge me for 2 visits. Reschedule was today, Jan 3. Installer could not get through to get the cards authorized. Decided to leave. Said he "would keep trying" while on the rest of his calls. Yeah right. I had to go to work. Cards are still not authorized. I guess I will have to fight the battle when I get home from work. This is Atlanta Comcast. They are awful.
3 days later - AND NOW, THE REST OF THE STORY..................
When I got home that night and checked things out only the card in slot 2 was authorized. Damn. Now I had to enter into Comcast world and attempt to get the other card authorized. First call at 10:20pm, was almost funny if not so pathetic. Get through pretty quick. I tell the person, I need 1 cable card authorized because the installer did not stick around along enough to verify it was done. She says what kind of TV is it plugged in to. I said it is not plugged into a TV but into a Series 3 HD Tivo. She says "Tivo?, we don't put cable cards in Tivo's." I explained that Comcast does do that, that the installer did it today and it even says '2 cable cards for Tivo' on the service order. She still insists that "we don't put cable cards in Tivo's. I told her she didn't know what she was talking about. SHE HUNG UP ON ME!!!!! So I call back again. Get another person. She answers politely. I tell her what I need. She says no problem, she has authorized other cards in Tivos. Even waited for someone to go through guided setup before. I say thank you, thank you, thank you. Figured I was home free. Not so fast.................. It took almost 2 hours of repeated attempts to get both cards authorized to my subscription level(just Digital Plus with HD, no premiums) before it worked. We were down to the last try and I had decided if this didn't work I was going to send the Tivo back. Had tried several combinations for attempted authorizations. Card in slot 1 first - okay. Card in slot 2 - partial, then go check slot 1 and that card is now partial. Swapped cards. Verified both cards were good. Comcast had no problem seeing both cards. She probably hit both cards somewhere between 5 and 10 times before we got both authorized. It was baffling. But to her credit, the second Comcast person stuck with me. Finished at 1:15 am.

I ask you out there in forum land, how would a normal joe blow ever be expected to be able to put up this flaky technology????
Speeden71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #1672
Speeden71

It is true. I was OTA only plus basic cable for a few months before getting cable cards. Found Discovery Theater HD at 114.10, but after a few weeks it was gone. Could only find the locals but since I got them OTA, what was the point? Did a complete scan before getting the cable cards, but could not find any of the other HD's. Pretty sure they are encrypted.
Speeden71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #1673
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic
I am going through hell to get the correct price from Comcast. Can somebody please verify that the only additional price I should be paying is $1.50 for the additional CC? I am being charged nothing for the CC but an $8.95 "outlet fee" for having two digital outlets. I have tried for more than 2 hours to explain to them that their pricing that came in the mail recently as well as the person on the phone that scheduled the CC appointment said that there is no $8.95 fee for the Tivo. I am on Comcast in Chester County, PA.
I hate "outlet" fees. I never had those until I moved to my new location. Anyway, try telling them that even though your device uses two cable cards, there it only uses one outlet. Perhaps have the installer make note of it when he arrives.
Mike Farrington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #1674
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Call # 2 to NoVa Comcast

I intended to go to the local Comcast office to discuss the availability of CCs yesterday. When I left the house, I remembered that they take lunch @ a weird time @ Comcast (2pm-3pm). So I decided to make call #2.

I got Derrick on the phone after what seemed to be a one minute wait. I let him know that I was calling to check the availability of CCs. He checked my acct, then the convo went like this.

"yeah they're available... "How many do you need?"
"I"ll take two please."
"Is this for one TV r for the new TiVo?"
"New TiVo"
"What time would you be available for the install?"
"I'm open from now till Sunday"
"How about tomorrow - we have 8-11, 11-2, 2-5"
"11-2 please"
"No problem, let me note your account so that the installer brings two and knows it's for the new S2 TiVo"

I'm now waiting on the Cable Guy to show up - meanwhile I'll watch SW III RoTS in HBOHD. Here's to crossing fingers.

Anyone have any hints how to handle the situation once the Cable Guy gets here?
Hopefully, he'll follow the TiVo instructions to the letter.

Edit:
Oh, and they guy said that there would be no charge for the CCs.
I'm already on the 'digital' tier as well as have the HD package.
Dunno if that matters.

Edit #2: 3:00 and still no Cable Guy or call.

Last edited by SC0TLANDF0REVER : 01-05-2007 at 01:59 PM.
SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #1675
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeden71
I ask you out there in forum land, how would a normal joe blow ever be expected to be able to put up this flaky technology????
Well, Dish and DirecTV based their entire business on taking customers who were fed up with crappy cable companies, and now here we are... trying to use cable and it sucks.

The cable companies are definitely a hurdle for TiVo.

Personally I haven't put cablecards in my TiVo. I just don't have the brainpower to deal with Comcast, and OTA looks so great.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #1676
Dennis Wilkinson

I got revised pricing effective 3/1/2007 for my area in my latest bill. It shows no charge for a CableCARD, and a $1.50 charge for "CableCARD (additional cards, same device)". What they don't indicate is a price for an additional CableCARD in a different device, unless that's just included in the outlet charge (which also went up.)

Dennis Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #1677
spamdragon

Wow, never had that happen before.

I just called the 800 number to upgrade to digital for the HD Tivo and I got put into the sales queue and then heard a very nice message from the recording lady telling me that I was important and that they were sorry they were too busy to take my call... and then I was disconnected. For a sales call!??

Nice.
spamdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #1678
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic
Thanks
Simply call their *billing* department and cancel the 2nd outlet. There's nothing to return so the item should drop from your bill. If somehow one of your CableCards gets deactivated, call the *service* number and tell them the CableCard doesn't work. That's what I've done in the past and it's worked perfectly. My TiVo never got mentioned in any discussions.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #1679
QZ1

I will try to answer a few of the questions raised recently.

There is no HD service per se.

Basic has HD Locals (No CC required)
Digital Classic has HD variety channels
Digital Plus has Encore HD OnDemand
Premiums have the respective HD Premium

The HD fee is for an HD Box; if they are charging this fee, saying it is to get access to HD channels within those services menioned above, it is incorrect.
(The various HD channels would have to be in separate services in order have separate fees.)

Have them remove the HD line item, and you will still get the HD channels within the services you have.

As for Addtl Outlets, the CC replaces the included box, so a CC is included for no extra fee.
The A/O fee effectively ncludes an equipment rental and service mirroring fee.

In order to get anything above Basic (HD Locals) you will have to choose a Digital A/O.
'Digital Starter A/O' for $4.95 just gets just 'Standard' channels, with no HD channels above 'Basic' HD Locals'.
So, the choice for HDTVs is 'Digital Classic/Plus A/O', at $8.90.

Previously some correctly got the two CCs in a Tivo for no extra fees, others incorrectly had to pay an A/O fee for the second one.
Now, two CCs in one device is priced at $1.50; have them add the line item 'Two CableCards for a non-Comcast DVR' to get the correct $1.50 price.

Last edited by QZ1 : 01-05-2007 at 01:55 PM.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #1680
nlowhor

@qz1

So what I was told is correct?

I would need Basic+Preferred+Digital Classic to get all channels below 100 and all HD channels except the movie networks.

Thanks again.