TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #151
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynenm
My message to current, fellow Tivo subscribers is: get ready, because one day soon, DirecTV's not going to support you at all.
Is DirecTV starting a profit prevention program? Turning off DTivos would be a good first step. I worked for a computer company for 18 years and they started one too - now they are out of business.

I know that DirecTV wishes all DTivo owners would just surrender and switch to R15/HR20s, but it ain't gonna happen voluntarily. If they turn my 4 DTivo boxes off I'll swith back to Dish in a heartbeat.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #152
waynenm

I prefer the Tivo OS to any other. But, the fact is that SD broadcasts are going away, probably in 2009. So, it's not beyond comprehension that DirecTV, Dish and even cable providers will stop transmitting SD programming. And, it is certain that SD locals will stop.
We all love DVRs, and Tivo best. Personally I prefer DirecTV to Dish, and definitely to cable. So, I chose to move on. Hopefully, one day, there will be an HD DirecTivo that receives MPEG 4. *That* would be the thing to pressure Liberty Media and Tivo for. Work it out, and make your customer base loyal, and happy. Meanwhile, the idea of *not* having some kind of DVR that can record DirecTV in HD is just not an option...at least for me.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #153
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynenm
But, the fact is that SD broadcasts are going away, probably in 2009. So, it's not beyond comprehension that DirecTV, Dish and even cable providers will stop transmitting SD programming. And, it is certain that SD locals will stop.
Where did you hear this?

Analog broadcast delivery is going away, but there is no mandate that it be replaced with resolution higher than 480i (the equivalent of today's SD broadcast resolution).

This also has no bearing whatsoever on DBS and cable companies and their boxes.

Last edited by goony : 12-29-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #154
waynenm

Sorry, that's what I meant. Digital. Not HD.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #155
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericL
...One interesting thing is that, as far as I can tell, only my Wishlists are messed up, and every WL is totally messed up, I don't have any upcoming episodes in any WLs. Every SP I've checked looks fine...
There are no episodes listed in any of my Wishlists at all, and in my To Do List, every Auto-Record Wish List item that was in the To Do List just yesterday is now missing. In the Recording History, all these say "Will Not Record" and the reason for all is "someone modified the season pass."

I'm sort of kind of somehow glad to find out I'm not the only one seeing this problem, but still, sux....
Old 12-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #156
dleithaus
DanL

Arrow confirming start date AND it is still going on!

After a couple of weeks of problems, I decided to check here.
Guess I should have checked earlier....

My symptoms:

*I am losing guide information. Guide information on known programs is disappearing from both the search guide and key word lists.

*Manual program guide searches (fishing through with the forward button in the actual program guide) shows programs--"searching" for those programs to record does not.

*I started noticing this on the day of the Survivor finale. As some other people noted... it was not recorded--at least the first part. The Reunion was on the To Do list--stayed there--and was recorded. I actually confirmed 4 hours before the Survivor recording that it was on the To Do List. It was. Then I noticed that it was not recording when it was supposed to... and it had disappeared spontaneously from the To Do List. Other programs disappeared from the To Do List... notably Jon Stewart of which there were a slew when I checked for Survivor.

I am tired of this! I have been checking periodically for shows that I know are scheduled.
Notably "Star Trek"--sometimes it gives me information on upcoming shows (of which there are always many), sometimes it says "no upcoming showings". Same for "Georgia" and "football" keywords. The Gator Bowl (Georgia Tech) on Jan 1 shows up, then it does not show up.

Resetting the receiver does seem to temporarily restore the information... then it disappears again!

As a secondary symptom, an extended delay is occurring when I go to a previously recorded show from the main menu and want to play it. I wait for an extended period to get to the info/play screen. The previously notorious recording pause is gone. After the recent upgrade, everything sped up--now there is some pausing going on.

All frustrating. Of course, I don't expect anyone to directly answer this since it is similar to all the others. I am just adding my voice and adding the thread to my email update monitor.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #157
twosox

Question Related to tvlog problem?

Any chance these two threads are related? I'm having problems with my tvlog filling up the /var directory.

Thread here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=4721212
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #158
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosox
Any chance these two threads are related? I'm having problems with my tvlog filling up the /var directory.

Thread here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=4721212
Lots of people with unmodified boxes are having the issues... both the SD DTivos and the HD HR10-250, so I don't think it is related.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #159
goony

I've concluded that the tech was blowing smoke up my tailpipe abut the date/year issue - I found one of my boxes with the "someone modified the season pass" in the record history (it failed to record) and it was a show that was simply picked from the guide and the record button pressed - no season pass or wishlist involved at all.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #160
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
My HR10 didn't record late night Networks again. The old "somebody deleted .." showed up in the history.
well at least in your house "someone" deleted it We got a 'tivo deleted' message that erased a program immediately after recording because we needed the room. (with almost 100 suggestions in my folder and it being the most recent program, not possible)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 12-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #161
mitchb2

I just came here to start a "someone modified the season pass" thread, and found this.
I am SICK of this. Now the Today Show, of all things, which records every single day, did not record...and the morning after Hussein's execution.

FIX THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #162
pacbellguy

Mine actually started to work for 3 or 4 days and now last night the problem started again.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #163
wmh2
TiVo'ed since Apr'00

My problem started the week before Christmas when my morning news cast didn't record. The To-Do list said "someone modified the season pass". But the To-Do list looked rather full with SPs and other recordings. So I put in a manual recording and forgot to look into it when I got home from work. The next morning both my SP and the manual recording were recording. So after a week I deleted the manual recording.

Then sometime over the Christmas weekend, my TiVo rebooted during the day while I was listening to an XM station. (groan)... I still did not see any problems with my recordings and when I did my usual weekend ritual of "View all upcoming WishList programs" (WL) to manually select shows I could be interested in watching, everything was still working fine.

This past week since Christmas has gone without any other signs of a problem until this morning. My WLs were not returning any results. The message was coming up rather quickly as if the TiVo didn't even bother to search. So I rebooted the TiVo and immediately checked... no results. I then forced a service call and immediately checked... again no results. Now an hour after starting the reboot and the service call, my WLs are returning results again.

Why an hour, cause I jumped on these forums to see what was going on, after some reading, I decided to check again, it just happened to be an hour after the initial reboot.

In all cases, none of my SPs or WLs were missing from their respecitive lists. And to date, I have not recreated any of them. In the first instance only the one morning new show SP was not working. And in the second instance all of my WLs weren't working. They were not returning any episodes. I was able to "Search by Title" and view the on-screen guide.

I do not know if it was the reboot or the service call that fixed it. I am assuming one or the other (or both) initiated a reindex of the guide data which is probably was needed to resolved my current problem.

Long term, we DirecTiVo users are doomed. I have been with TiVo longer than DirecTV. I only chose DirecTV because of their partnership with TiVo. I hate to give up my TiVo branded DVR. I can't do Dish (lack of channel choices) and I can't do cable (lack of reliable service in my area). I suppose my only chance is to wait for hell to freeze over or for state laws to change so my local phone company can provide me with TVIP. Competition is great if companies really compete with each other to provide quality service. Right now it seems like choosing the lesser evil!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #164
j0hnW
is uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
I've concluded that the tech was blowing smoke up my tailpipe abut the date/year issue - <...snip...>
Yes, I think the tech was just trying to get you off the phone. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking on DTV's part, that the problem would resolve itself with time ("Tivo2K").

The calendar explanation would not explain why my "Pick Programs By Title" now only lists 50 or so programs **TOTAL** (even though Sys Status says I have data until Jan 10).

My guess is that it's going to end up being some schedule DB and/or indexing corruption issue.

DTV has been very lucky with the timing of this bug. It's happened while so many shows are in reruns or on hiatus, and people are busy with holiday festivities. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of DTivo customers haven't even noticed yet. But if DTV doesn't get it in gear and find a fix soon, I'll bet they're going to generate some news headlines once the new TV season starts. Customers will scream bloody murder if DirecTivos fail to record the highly touted premieres of new/beloved shows.

This whole debacle has got me thinking about where to go from here. Sadly after many years with DTivo, I'm thinking the time may be drawing close to putting my hot-rodded T-60 out to pasture, telling DTV to shove it, and move to cable with a Series3 or a Motorola DCT6412. I'm afraid the writing is on the wall.

John
Old 12-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #165
srs5694

FWIW, I like the corrupt data hypothesis. If DirecTV has changed the data format slightly (say, using a previously unused field) for the benefit of new boxes or new software features on some boxes, it's conceivable that existing DirecTiVo software would choke on it. This might or might not technically be a TiVo software bug, but that's an academic distinction: We buy all the data and service through DirecTV, so it's a DirecTV problem, at least from the consumer point of view. The CSR mentioned in an earlier thread who tried to point the finger at TiVo should be reprimanded, IMHO.

It can't simply be corrupt data, though, or we'd all be having exactly the same problems, but we're not -- different peoples' boxes are dropping different shows at different times. Some of that might be explained by different times of calling in, obtaining data, indexing, etc., but it could also be that our idiosyncratic mixes of Season Passes, Wish Lists, etc., is interacting with this. For instance, maybe problems occur only when a particular type of corrupt data appear in a show that's scheduled for a Season Pass recording, and this causes some sort of cascading failure in the database.

This is all speculative, of course, but since there's little in the way of real news about the problem....
Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #166
ADent

I am getting this on my S1 DTiVo.

I found the first episode of the first season of Amazing Race on GSN that I never saw and picked up a Season Pass.

Now only one episode is set to record (and I already missed two).
The guide data is there if you scroll to it.
If I go to the episodes and select Upcoming Episodes, it only shows the one season finale on 1/7.
If I do a search by Title it shows only the one.
If I do a Wishlist it shows none - not even the one on 1/7.
If I select one of the upcoming shows it says Record This Episode Also (or something like this).

Went looking for another show - Coach on USA and it is missing a bunch of its airings from Upcoming Eps, Search by Title, etc.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:17 AM   #167
ADent

Well I unplugged/replugged the machine and no improvement.

My ToDo list is much smaller than normal and I have to try to find all the shows I want and add them manually from the Guide.

Great job DirecTV. Not!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #168
dleithaus
DanL

I wrote the DTV tech forum pretty much the same stuff I wrote here *above*

I have an additional note.... Last week, while I was watching a recorded movie... right at the grand finale of the movie.... I had a spontaneous system reboot! The reboot contained all the normal parts of a reset "welcome" "wait" "acquiring program guide"... then it went into normal operation. When I checked for the movie I was watching, it was still there. When I resumed play, it did not resume at the point of system reset, and I had to search forward about 40 minutes to find my place.

Last night same thing happened. Same exact sequence. Watching a recorded movie. Spontaneous reset right in the middle. I walked away for half an hour rather than fume watching the reset screens. In the end, the movie that had been interrupted was still there, and "resume play" started play at a point far before where it had spontaneous ly reset...

I guess DTV is now forcing system resets. It might be nice if a necessary system reset was not done while I am watching something!

Well, as Jan 1 approaches I will be interested to see if things start fixing themselves.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:31 AM   #169
pinegein

I just read this whole thread. I recently had a phillips dsr708 and the tuner 1 went out on it and I called DTV they came out and replaced my box with an R15. I was not happy but complaining to them was pointless. I am about to buy another one or was until I read this I will keep a wacth on this thread and see if it gets fixed because my appointment to buy one is on the 3rd of next month. I hope they get it fixed.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #170
dlmerchant

I have two HR10-250 Receivers. On December 23nd, one of the receivers stopped recording all season passes. Today, the second receiver starting having the same problem. Guide data does appear, and I can manually record programs. I just called DTV, and they indicated that there is a software glitch that will require a new patch to be downloaded. As of right now, there is no ETA on when this will be available.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #171
mitchb2

This is starting to look really good to me right now:
http://*******.com/8zchx

Oops...it didn't allow the link. Anyway, Dish Network is offering a pretty good deal on new service, with an HD DVR.

I'm not going to tolerate the empty To Do list once the shows return.

Last edited by mitchb2 : 12-31-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #172
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

Just an additional heads up for those affected by this problem. Using a manual record will NOT always work reliably.

Three times at least on my primary DTiVo, a series 2 Samsung, manual recordings have failed to record with the report of "Internal error 4" which I believe means that a recording was scheduled and an attempt was made to start the recording but the program was no longer in the guide.

In all cases manual recordings both before and after the error happened and the program does appear in the guide data if I scroll back to it.

On one occasion after this happened I noticed that a few, but not all, of the future manual recordings reported that it would not record because it was no longer in the guide but one of these was defiantly in the guide and I was able to set a manual recording for it without error. The other reappeared in the ToDo list (as a WL recording) before I was able t set it as a manual one. Yes, I then changed it to a manual recording so it had less likelihood of being missed and it did record later as set.

The TiVo involved in this is a VERY busy TiVo with at least one record happening at most times during the day and two the norm from about 6:00 pm to 12:00 midnight.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:55 AM   #173
lssmith

This is BS

Having the same types of problems as you all...started about two weeks ago.
Called DTV tech support last week...they told me everyone else is having the same problems and that the problem would be solved in two days. They gave me a fifty dollar credit for this months bill and ten dollars off a month for a year to keep me from canceling service. Still nothing works, no season passes record etc... What the hell are we supposed to do?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #174
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

I guess I've been extremely lucky - I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, rebooted, waited an hour for re-indexing to occur, and I've been fine since. (Knock wood.)

Last edited by drew2k : 12-31-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 AM   #175
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

last night I noticed one of my units did a service data download more than once. I was watching a movie when id did it at 2:30am(I checked to make sure what it was recording) and then again at 3:30am. I was just about to head of to bed and I noticed the red light on. I thought to myself, "I don't have anything scheduled to record" so I turned it back on and checked it out. it was doing another service download. I checked the system info again and the status was recieving.

so my service data download looked like this:

last attempt: Sun. Dec. 31 at 2:29am status completed

then again for the 3:30 record:

last attempt: Sun. Dec 31 at 3:29am status receiving

and now after just checking a few minutes ago:

last attempt: Sun. Dec 31 at 5:29am status completed
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #176
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

another thing I noticed here: I have an SP for According to Jim. it is on this coming Wed. 1/3. every day I check my To Do List the show moves back and forth between Wed. at 8:00 and 8:30pm eastern and Fri. at the same times.

example; when I checked on Fri. the show was listed for Wed. but on Sat. when I checked it was listed for Fri. then when I check again on Sun. its back to Wed. its been like this since Jim showed up in my To Do List(I only record new eps).

could this be some of the issue here?
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 12-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #177
mwarner

Just happened to me again for a 2nd time. Did a wishlist search this morning and thought my results looked a little small. Tried again this afternoon and had a total of 10 items in my total wishlists (should have about 75). Also, a recording set for tonight (60 minutes on CBS) had disappeared from the ToDo list. I've rebooted the TiVo to see if it comes back or not.

-Matt
Old 12-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #178
rb5505

i keep reading the same notes over and over. am i the only one reading multiple notes saying i've restarted, i've cleared and deleted, i've done this, i've done that. forget the restarts, the clear and deletes, and anything else on your end. i haven't read that any of them fix this problem for more then a short time. it might appear that way, but shortly after it will be back to the incomplete guides, wishlists and to do lists. sorry, but it's in directv's or tivo's hands now (scary, isn't it).

SO INSTEAD...........you need to email and/or call directv.

email: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/howToReachUs.jsp

home service: 1-800-494-4388
Old 12-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #179
Cudahy

We noticed last night that the wishlists had been wiped out on both our regular Directivo and the HDtivo. We've had no other problems on either(HDtivo went to 6.3a sometime ago and has not received the "b". The year end problem makes sense since nothing else has been affected.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #180
Bill99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill99
I'm having the same problem also. Mine automatically rebooted at about 2:45am Friday and I did not notice the problem until today (Monday).

Tonight I forced a phone call which caused no change. A couple of hours later it reindexed. Now, after re-indexing, everything appears more normal. I haven't checked every one of the season passes, but before the call and re-indexing I had only about 10 season passes show up and now I have about 50 which could be about right for me. It's actually hard to tell exactly because what may be missing due to the repeats during the holidays.

Everyone force a phone call, wait for re-indexing and report back what happened.
I posted the above post on 12/25 and everything appears to be still working. Rather than rebooting, etc. try the method above and see if it works for you.