TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #1621
dschargel

My CableCard experience in Portland, OR...

Appointment was set for 2-4pm range this afternoon. Tech showed at 12 noon saying that he wanted to give the installation extra time because of what he "heard about these installations." When I asked him if he (or anyone he knew) did one he said that with 60 install techs in Portland region, only 2 had and they both passed on doing mine! I asked him how many cards he brought and he showed me 2 and said "I hope this does it!" I did not have a good feeling about it.

He immediately found outside problems and corrected some (termination to house) cabling so as to boost my signal. Interestingly, after all is done, my ping and download speeds have improved. NICE!

Card One went smoothly and, after (1) waiting for MMI screen, (2) tech phoning in the host/data info, and (3) seeing Connected:yes, EnabledByCP:yes, and Auth:SUBSCRIBED in Conditional Access screen, all was good. Card Two went just as smooth - these 3 major steps took 6 minutes to complete.

After he was done, we were both incredulous that it was finished. I checked HD channels and premium channels on both tuners and there were smiles all around! In the end, he was out of here before his 2 p.m. appointment time!

It doesn't have to be all bad; I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

My tip: patience. When the card goes in, just wait for the MMI screen (took 2 minutes on first card and 1 minute with second card. Don't click around, just be patient. When they call in with the host/data info, just wait for the updates to happen. Don't panic when nothing shows up when testing channels, just be patient. Wait it out.

My final pricing (without the bill in-hand): First card free, second card $1.50 monthly, $15.99 installation. No $5.00 HD fee. Thanks to all the postings here, I was prepared for what should happen, what error messages would show, and what to watch out for. Thanks all.

David
dschargel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM   #1622
John Cavanaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschargel
My CableCard experience in Portland, OR...

Appointment was set for 2-4pm range this afternoon. Tech showed at 12 noon saying that he wanted to give the installation extra time because of what he "heard about these installations." When I asked him if he (or anyone he knew) did one he said that with 60 install techs in Portland region, only 2 had and they both passed on doing mine! I asked him how many cards he brought and he showed me 2 and said "I hope this does it!" I did not have a good feeling about it.

He immediately found outside problems and corrected some (termination to house) cabling so as to boost my signal. Interestingly, after all is done, my ping and download speeds have improved. NICE!

Card One went smoothly and, after (1) waiting for MMI screen, (2) tech phoning in the host/data info, and (3) seeing Connected:yes, EnabledByCP:yes, and Auth:SUBSCRIBED in Conditional Access screen, all was good. Card Two went just as smooth - these 3 major steps took 6 minutes to complete.

After he was done, we were both incredulous that it was finished. I checked HD channels and premium channels on both tuners and there were smiles all around! In the end, he was out of here before his 2 p.m. appointment time!

It doesn't have to be all bad; I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

My tip: patience. When the card goes in, just wait for the MMI screen (took 2 minutes on first card and 1 minute with second card. Don't click around, just be patient. When they call in with the host/data info, just wait for the updates to happen. Don't panic when nothing shows up when testing channels, just be patient. Wait it out.

My final pricing (without the bill in-hand): First card free, second card $1.50 monthly, $15.99 installation. No $5.00 HD fee. Thanks to all the postings here, I was prepared for what should happen, what error messages would show, and what to watch out for. Thanks all.

David
I'm in Hillsboro Oregon and have my cable card appointment scheduled for 10-12 tomorrow morning.

I've called to confirm and made sure they know it's a Tivo Series 3 and that I want two cable cards.

Hoping for the best.
John Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #1623
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1
If it weren't so frustating that would be hilarious, 'they don't support their competition', well, it isn't up to them.

If you want to try again, mention that the FCC mandates that they must support 'All CableCard Devices', and Tivo S3 is 'CableLabs Certified'. And, if they don't comply you will file a complaint with the FCC.

But really, if they won't listen, you should try calling Tivo next, like the other person said.
I would skip the comments about FCC mandate. It got me nowhere and just put them on the defensive.

If you can, visit your local cable office and discuss the installation with them personally. I got a lot further with a 20 minute conversation in their office than in a couple hours over the phone.

You can take this document along, which may help.

http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf

You can also call Tivo and they can call on your behalf. When I asked Tivo to do this, they wanted the local phone number for Comcast, which is unlisted here, that was my cue to go visit the local Comcast office.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #1624
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluemeister
Friday AM comes, the phone rings at the time the rep is supposed to arrive. "We don't have cards here, it's going to take up to two weeks to get them in. We'll reschedule. Call 800-comcast with any questions"
Meanwhile, your 30-day money-back guarantee return period is ticking away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #1625
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Here's what the Act says. It's clear enough that you don't need to be a lawyer to understand its consumer-friendly intent:
Famous last words. I doubt there has ever been a regulation for which different parties read their own positive slant into the written word. It's still just a matter of you wishing it is in the consumer's favor, when in reality, it almost surely isn't, especially given today's environment, and the trending for the future.

What's interesting is that you've really not even said explicitly what you feel Comcast is violating in the Section. You might want to clearly explain that, just for completeness. It's all fine and good to wave the regulation around and claim a grievance, but without explicitly saying, "They are doing XXX, and the law says not-XXX," then you're not doing much more than just your standard breast-beating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 AM   #1626
lleibeck
lleibeck

I live in Jacksonville Florida, Comcast told me the cards would not work in TIVO and why would they offer that feature when they offer a DVR.

Called TIVO support who provided me enough info to tell Comcast how to make it work. Took four calls and one service call to make it work.

No charge for cards.
lleibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #1627
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
It's still just a matter of you wishing it is in the consumer's favor, when in reality, it almost surely isn't ... What's interesting is that you've really not even said explicitly what you feel Comcast is violating in the Section.
I quoted the Act in a prior post so that others could read it for themselves and form their own opinions, rather than relying on your legal opinion or mine as to whether Comcast is in compliance. I have also explicitly explained in detail what in my opinion are the predatory pricing practices of Comcast apparently designed to put Tivo out of business and deny S3 users an alternative to Comcast's STBs. I refer you to my earlier posts and those of many others in this thread, as well as those of Justin Thyme in the "Cable Cards going away?" thread, which addresses some of these issues on a more technical basis.

Quote:
you're not doing much more than just your standard breast-beating.
Personal attacks on posters to this forum are always uncalled for, and do not strengthen your arguments in support of Comcast on these issues.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #1628
broken TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleibeck
I live in Jacksonville Florida, Comcast told me the cards would not work in TIVO and why would they offer that feature when they offer a DVR.

Called TIVO support who provided me enough info to tell Comcast how to make it work. Took four calls and one service call to make it work.

No charge for cards.

Hmm, quite the disparity in pricing. I am moving to Orange Park and have my install set up for the 11th of Jan. My cards will be 6.50 a piece. Once I actually arrive I hope to talk them in to a more realistic price.

Lon
broken TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #1629
djnewlin

Exclamation New CableCard pricing for Comcast Chicago Suburbs

I just got my December 28th, 2006 bill in my email today. Curious to see if they finally got the CableCard billing correct, I immediately logged in to see my .pdf of this month's bill.

It was wrong again - they had charged me $5.99 for my 2nd - 6th CC (I have three S3 boxes), for a grand total of $29.95 for January 5th - February 4th. I called, and after waiting on hold with one CSR was transferred to another (more helpful) CSR. She understood that I had three S3 TiVo DVRs, each with 2 CCs. She put me on hold for a few minutes while she investigated...

While on hold, I looked at page 4 of the 12/28/2006 bill and noticed the following wording under EQUIPMENT, for the CableCARD fees:
"CableCARD (First card in device).................. $0.00"
"CableCARD (Additional card in same device)... $1.50"

Also, under DIGITAL SERVICES (per month):
"Digital Additional Outlet Service......................$5.99"

So here is what the CSR came back with:

First TiVo box/outlet is free
First CC in first TiVo is free
Second CC in first TiVo is $1.50.
Total for first TiVo S3 = $1.50

Second TiVo S3 box/outlet is $5.99
First CC in second S3 is free
Second CC in second S3 is $1.50
Total for second TiVo S3 = $7.49

Third TiVo S3 is same as second S3 = $7.49

Grand TOTAL = $16.48

This is better than the $29.95 I was being charged, but not the $7.50 I thought I was going to be charged for 6 CCs, with the first CC free (i.e., 5 x $1.50).

Comments?

Regards,

Doug
djnewlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #1630
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
I have also explicitly explained in detail what in my opinion are the predatory pricing practices of Comcast
What sentence in the regulation prohibits the type of pricing, specifically? It seems to me that you just don't like the fact that their pricing costs more than you want consumers to pay. The regulation itself doesn't prohibit what they're doing.

Quote:
Personal attacks on posters to this forum are always uncalled for, and do not strengthen your arguments in support of Comcast on these issues.
I agree completely. Let's hope we can work together to ensure that no one degrades this discussion with personal attacks.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #1631
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin
This is better than the $29.95 I was being charged, but not the $7.50 I thought I was going to be charged for 6 CCs, with the first CC free (i.e., 5 x $1.50).

Comments?
$16.48 is correct. Your additional outlet fee is $1 lower than my area.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #1632
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewlin

Comments?
To be honest, it looks reasonable to me. The cable companies are going to "get" a lot of people with their "digital additional output" charges over the next few years. It's something they tried to do for analog many years back, but eventually had to give up when it became easy to evade. But now they can just keep track of decryption devices. Locally, it's $9.95 per additional output, and I've still got 4 TVs on analog service. I dread the day when they drop analog!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #1633
Warlord46

Quote:
It seems to me that you just don't like the fact that their pricing costs more than you want consumers to pay.
My complaint is not how much Comcast charges, it is that Comcast charges me more for 2 DVR service using S3s than if I rented 2 Comcast DVRs.

Quote:
The regulation itself doesn't prohibit what they're doing.

Again, rather than relying upon your legal opinion or mine as to what the Act requires and whether Comcast is violating it, I refer you and other readers to the language of the Act I quoted previously, and to the facts as reported by me and others on this forum as to Comcast's pricing practices. Your opinion favoring Comcast, and mine in contrast which is opposed to Comcast's anti-S3 and predatory pricing practices, are clear. I think you are clearly wrong, perhaps because you work for Comcast for all I know, but I am but one voice, as are you. Allow other readers to form their own opinions as to whether your interpretation of the law and Comcast's practices makes any sense.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #1634
QZ1

Question Comcast 2007 Prices- Mirroring Fees for S3 on Adtl. Outlet?

I recently got the Comcast 2007 prices/services list, it takes effect on the January bill and for changes made starting Jan. 1.

What I want to do is buy an S3 and a new secondary TV.
I know the minimal CC fees.

*I need to know the Mirroring / A/O Fees, so I chose what services are worth mirroring, and then decide if the S3 and TV are worth it for the secondary room.

*Please look at your 2007 Prices/Services List, (not your last bill), and see if these items exist anymore.

Whole House Premium Access
Digital Classic/Plus A/O
CC/DVR/STB installation
HD Box
(just for my info.)

*If so, how much are they?
*And, please note your system.

They aren't on my list, but I think one or more of these items still exist.
I realize the local prices could be slightly different.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #1635
JTYoung1

Quote:
Where do you live? It seems to make a big difference in billing practices.
Jacksonville, FL

Sorry, I thought I had put that information in my profile. It's fixed now.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #1636
jcapple

Oakland, CA

Installation: FREE
CableCARD1: no charge
CableCARD2: $1.50

Monthly fee: $1.50.

Caveat - credit to our monthly bill $104 (our silver digital total), because the tech was . . . wait for it . . . eight hours late.

I have never, ever had them even make within 3 hours of their designated window. I plan ahead to ask for specific credits.

The person I got the original quote from was great - she didn't try to sell me on their stuff at all once she knew why I needed the cablecards.

The fifth time I called about the "lateness" I got someone (another "she" just as an fyi) who actually took it seriously, got me the credit, went after scheduling supervisors and called me back with status twice.

The cards took two tries. First very smooth and fast. Second, didn't work, replaced it, could get some channels, but not others, reinitialized - good as gold.
jcapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #1637
John Cavanaugh

Hillsboro, OR (outside Portland)

Installation: $16.99
CableCARD1: no charge
CableCARD2: $1.50/month

Summary

After 3 hours with a Comcast tech and his supervisor, 7 different cable cards and ~45 minutes on the phone with Tivo customer support the end result is that I have a replacement Tivo being sent from Kentucky (3-5 days UPS) and a direct phone number of a Comcast supervisor to call when the new Tivo gets here so we can try again.

Questions:

First, has anyone else had problems with audio (cracks and pops) on their Series 3? I seemed to start having the problems when we started using the cablecards. We tried different cable/component configurations (Tivo HDMI into TV, Tivo RCA into receiver) and still continued to have the problems. Tivo customer support couldn't tell me definitively if there could be a connection between cable cards and audio problems. Because of this issue and all of the cable card problems, Tivo is shipping me a new Tivo to try.

Second, does anyone have a guide that would tell me what all of the fields in the Conditional Access screen in the cable card menu mean and what are the fields that have to be populated correctly for things to work?

My first card had:

Connected: Yes EnabledByCP: Yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
CA Enable: Possible

and it worked most of the time (but not all) so I think those are the correct settings.

On all of the second cards we tried, we usually got something like:

Connected: Yes EnabledByCP: No
Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY (I think)
CA Enable: Not Possible

and when I went to Test Channels, we would alternate between getting no channels and some channels.

One of the problems I was having was that none of the Comcast people knew what these all meant. According to them, if the MMI screen came up correctly and I got channel 127, things were fine. I had to explain to them that I wanted to go through all of my channels (regular cable, expanded cable, premium, HD local and HD premium) and things needed to look good on the Conditional Access screen before I pronounced things good to go.

I'm hoping that there was something wrong with the Tivo that doomed me from the beginning and that the new Tivo will set things right.

I managed to get a few minutes of a bowl game and NGC-HD and it was impressive.
John Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #1638
bill22704

I live in Edmonds WA (just N of Seattle); just called Comcast's 1-800 number to schedule installation of their CableCARDs. I was told (1) that the CableCARD costs $12.95 per month; (2) that a second CableCARD would cost an additional $12.95 per month; and (3) that the Cable CARD gives access to not just digital programming but also HD programs -- i.e. the monthly CableCARD fee includes digital access plus HD programming. I tried to explain that I have a TiVo DVR that has 2 built-in tuners, and that this feature allows me to record two different channels simultaneously -- but that this feature works only when I have 2 CableCARDS. The guy on the other end insisted that I would NOT need a second CableCARD in order to enable features downstream of the cable signal. In frustration, I gave up and told him that I would call him back later, because his information differs so much from my own understanding. I guess I'll follow the advice of some other posters to deal only with our local Comcast office. Sheesh. This shouldn't be so difficult. I wonder how much communication TiVo has actually had with Comcast and other cable providers about their dual-tuner DVR.
bill22704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #1639
Mike Farrington

Comcast - Carrol County Maryland

Installation: $39 (asked about self-installation; was told it wasn't available)
Card Rental: $1.75/each/month

Was originally quoted $4.75 per card, but once I told her to look for "2 CableCards for non-Comcast DVRs", she found the right billing code.

Was offered an installation date two days away, but that was too soon for me. My S3 hasn't even arrived yet. So I pushed them back a week.

Overall, a very positive experience on the phone, even if she did disappear often (presumably to ask around). She never once requested the model number of the device into which the cable cards were to be inserted. I offered the model number, but she said they don't need it. I took the earliest window (10am-noon) on the day of installation -- just in case they have problems.

In the end, she said my monthly bill was going up $5 and some change. Not sure what else was causing it, perhaps the addition of some HD fee or an outlet fee. I wanted to keep this call nice and simple and didn't mention that I'd be returning equipment.

Lets hope the install goes as smoothly as phone call. I doubt it will though, as I've been having signal strength issues recently with my cable.

-Mike
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #1640
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wish Comcast only charged me $1.75 per card here in Prince William County. They are charging me $4.95 and everyone I've talked to tells me that price.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #1641
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I wish Comcast only charged me $1.75 per card here in Prince William County. They are charging me $4.95 and everyone I've talked to tells me that price.
Would you mind giving an itemized billing rundown?
My S3 arrives on Thursday.
I'm in NoVa as well and curious to know the details.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #1642
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just got my first bill and it's alittle confusing since there are multiple partial months listed.
But they do list the digital package at $29.95 which is the deal I got for 12 months that includes Showtime and HBO channels. They have a $19.80 charge for Digital Service which is supposed to be for the four cable cards I have. If I can get the cable cards for less that would be great. I'llbe adding two more trhis weekend and hopefully they will get the CC working properly and decypting the encrypted channels.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #1643
MPeter

In Haverhill, Massachusetts ('burb of Boston):

First CableCard - Free
Each additional - $2.50/ea per month

For the 2 cards install was quoted at $30.05 (no self installation available yet).

I was able to get the installation fee waived as I decided to upgrade my Comcast package during the same tech visit.

Now just crossing my fingers that the tech will know how to get the cards working in the Series 3!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #1644
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill22704
I wonder how much communication TiVo has actually had with Comcast and other cable providers about their dual-tuner DVR.
Comcast views Tivo as their competition. Cable cards make it possible for Tivo to compete. If you were a Comcast corporate officer, how much money and effort would you put into training your employees to install cable cards into S3s so as to minimize the problems of persons who chose to buy Tivo S3s rather than renting Comast DVRs? If you were a Comcast employee knowing that Tivo is taking money out of your company's revenues and reducing its profits, how much would you care to do the job of installing cable cards right? If you were a Comcast tech support person, how much would you really care to know about programming the cards correctly, and doing it right the first time? If you were a Comcast employee making posts to this thread, what would you say about which company was responsible for this mess - Comcast or Tivo?

Most of these questions answer themselves. It's a wonder that any of us have been able to overcome the obstacles Comcast throws our way. And that's before you get Comcast's punitive bill for cable boxes you don't have or need. If you persist, though, you are rewarded with a vastly superior DVR product. Generally, the products of any monopoly are lousy, and Comcast is no exception.

This coming July the FCC is going to make Comcast start using cable cards in its own boxes. That should greatly improve the situation, as Comcast will then be competing with any company that can provide a box that uses cable cards. Comcast is fighting the FCC to put that deadline off, or eliminate it, for very obvious reasons. Let's all hope the FCC sticks to its guns.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #1645
hdtvoice

A contractor for Comcast (south jersey) came to my house yesterday to do the cablecard install.

I already had one cablecard installed in my tv, so he brought 2 more.

He Was Clueless... But he said he never did a cablecard install.

Anyways, we did cablecard port 1 first and all the channels came in after 10 minutes.

CableCard 2 seemed to work as well, but last night i noticed some of the channels still werent showing up (espnhd, showtime hd), but some hd channels were.

I guess I should call comcast and tell them to re-zap the second cablecard?
hdtvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #1646
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Comcast views Tivo as their competition. Cable cards make it possible for Tivo to compete. If you were a Comcast corporate officer, how much money and effort would you put into training your employees to install cable cards into S3s so as to minimize the problems of persons who chose to buy Tivo S3s rather than renting Comast DVRs? If you were a Comcast employee knowing that Tivo is taking money out of your company's revenues and reducing its profits, how much would you care to do the job of installing cable cards right? If you were a Comcast tech support person, how much would you really care to know about programming the cards correctly, and doing it right the first time? If you were a Comcast employee making posts to this thread, what would you say about which company was responsible for this mess - Comcast or Tivo?
No they DON'T view TiVo as a competitor... TiVo and Comcast are PARTNERS, with TiVo actively developing TiVo software for Comcast DVR's!!

You could argue, maybe, that they view the Series3 as competitive, but they'd have to be morons to not realize that while they might be missing out on some revenue from PPV's, they are certainly benefiting far beyond that from all the people leaving Satellite and switching to cable to use their brand new TiVo....

I think the problems with cablecards are far less strategic. I think Comcast employees just aren't very bright...

I mean try discussing cable internet problems or the fact that they shouldn't charge you a service call to replace a cable modem that you are renting from them that is DOA...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1647
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
No they DON'T view TiVo as a competitor...
Your emphasis makes it seem as though you are very sure you are right, but I don't think you've had the opportunity to read the filings of Tivo and the Cable Companies before the FCC. Currently, they are battling over the FCC's July 07 deadline for Comcast (and other cablecos) to start using cable cards in its own boxes. Both Tivo and the CableCompanies, and the FCC itself, recognize them as competitors. Tivo and the Cable Companies are battling furiously, with Comcast among other cablecos trying to delay or eliminate that deadline requirement, and Tivo fighting for it. Partners don't act like that. But don't take my word for it. Read their own written statements.

When that battle is done, and the winner declared, both Tivo and Comast will have a financial interest in working together, with the loser salvaging something from the winner. You can call them partners then. But now, they are in mortal combat. Tivo will survive and thrive if it prevails, and Comcast's revenues will go down. If Tivo loses, Comcast's revenue is secure, and may well cause Tivo to go out of business.

A similar scenario occurred with telephones and the AT&T monopoly a generation ago. Inferior phones and high charges were the result of AT&T's monopoly, until competitors were allowed to sell telephones and compete with the telcos for in-house equipment (at much higher quality and features, and much lower price). AT&T fought it, naturally, but the consumer won. Hopefully, the same scenario will play out with the cableco industry.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1648
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvoice
Anyways, we did cablecard port 1 first and all the channels came in after 10 minutes.

CableCard 2 seemed to work as well, but last night i noticed some of the channels still werent showing up (espnhd, showtime hd), but some hd channels were.

I guess I should call comcast and tell them to re-zap the second cablecard?
Two things: first, get them to verify that you really have both CableCards properly added to your account. second, have them send a "hit" to the cards. You're probably getting the unencrypted HD channels (the locals and possibly PBS) but not the encrypted ones, which ESPN HD and Showtime HD usually are.

I had a similar problem and after they cleaned up their end, everything was (and still is) fine.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #1649
arlingtonian

Smile So Far, So Damn Good!

I had Comcast come out to install 2 CC's into a Series 3 right before the New Year (and all the good Bowl games.) The installers came about halfway through their 2 hour window and were knowledgable about the S3, but issued a disclaimer right away that the Cable Card process is hit or miss.

I watched them insert and gather info from the cards ( 5 minutes)

They then called the head-end for activation (they were on hold for about 25-30 minutes)

I went out to smoke a cigarette, and upon return was greeted with a fully functioning S3 and all the High Def glory I dreamed of.

Done in about 40-45 minutes.

Later I reconfigured my entertainment system and the Cable Cards didn't work as before. From this forum, I figured they needed to be re-hit. This was late at night, and I called Comcast to do it. Long story short, they CSR's/Techs did not rehit the cards, and scheduled me for a service visit right away.

The new techs were capable, not as smooth as the first, but had me rolling in 30 minutes, after spending 20 minutes on hold.

Everything now is Great! No issues whatsoever.

If the cards are good, and the head-end cooperates, this is as simple and as quick as can be. While little comfort to those who have had problems, know that the S3 with Cable Cards can work beautifully, and go a long way to easing clutter.
arlingtonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #1650
Speeden71

Help. I am in cablecard hell!!!! I scheduled an HD upgrade(Comcast HD settop-no DVR plus 2 cablecards for my Series 3 Tivo for Dec 27. One hour before arrival I get a call. "Uh, we don't have any cablecards right now, do you still want us to bring the HD settop?" I asked why did they schedule the appointment if they didn't have any cable cards? "Well, they[whoever they is?] didn't know we were out. We had a big run because of Christmas." So I told them to bring the settop box and reschedule the cablecard delivery and not charge me for 2 visits. Reschedule was today, Jan 3. Installer could not get through to get the cards authorized. Decided to leave. Said he "would keep trying" while on the rest of his calls. Yeah right. I had to go to work. Cards are still not authorized. I guess I will have to fight the battle when I get home from work. This is Atlanta Comcast. They are awful.
Speeden71 is offline   Reply With Quote