Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #301
kimsan
underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Yes, I think this is mentioned a few pages back; a simple way to deal with that... restart your unit, then things should run fine...
Seems like it *should* be that way. And it was in the initital rev I installed.

Current rev (1.2 I think) doesn't behave quite as well for me.

I reran install per standard instructions:

Quote:
http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh
sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
with no hitch on a 3.1.5f HR10.

Client connected and was accessable via gotomydvr page.

I entered:

Quote:
sync ; reboot
Nothing got added to rc.sysinit.author this build.

I manually added:

Quote:
# Connect to the gotomydvr server:
if [ -f /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr ]; then
fi
as it appeared after a previous installs and rebooted. No joy.

So for me, the client is fine when run from bash for the duration of the bash session, but fails to remain running and fails to remain running from rc.sysinit.author.

Have I blown something in the syntax of the .author command?

kim
kimsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #302
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsan
Seems like it *should* be that way. And it was in the initital rev I installed.

Current rev (1.2 I think) doesn't behave quite as well for me.

I reran install per standard instructions:

with no hitch on a 3.1.5f HR10.

Client connected and was accessable via gotomydvr page.

I entered:

Nothing got added to rc.sysinit.author this build.

I manually added:

as it appeared after a previous installs and rebooted. No joy.

So for me, the client is fine when run from bash for the duration of the bash session, but fails to remain running and fails to remain running from rc.sysinit.author.

Have I blown something in the syntax of the .author command?
Your syntax is good. Odd that it didn't add the startup commands to your rc.sysinit.author as the only time it shouldn't is when they are already in there. You might want to verify that the changes you put into rc.sysinit.author are, in fact, there -- perhaps you did not write the file, or sync before you rebooted again?

If you can give me telnet access to your unit, I can poke around - but with over 500 people now running the client, I'm pretty sure the installation scripts are solid - not sure what exactly is going on with your system, but its probably something relatively easy to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 AM   #303
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Hi -

We had to reboot the server early this morning and I noticed that my clients did not automatically reconnect; if anyone has a problem connecting, please restart your TiVo if you can...

... if others are able to connect, please respond here; I'm interested to know because in theory, the units should all automatically reconnect!

Lou

Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #304
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

All 5 of mine reconnected and seem to be working OK.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #305
kimsan
underling

Quote:
If you can give me telnet access to your unit, I can poke around - but with over 500 people now running the client, I'm pretty sure the installation scripts are solid - not sure what exactly is going on with your system, but its probably something relatively easy to fix.
Thanks for the kind words. when I'm ignorant I follow instructions meticulously.

I'm kinda ignorant on the telnet access aspect. What do I need to do to help you (help me)?

15 years ago I was a networking wiz....IP access from home via modem to RAS server on a govt net (before they knew how to look)...now...not so much.

If it helps, I'm on a Verizon DSL account with a Westell 327w router. What do I need to do?

kim
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #306
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsan
Thanks for the kind words. when I'm ignorant I follow instructions meticulously.

I'm kinda ignorant on the telnet access aspect. What do I need to do to help you (help me)?

15 years ago I was a networking wiz....IP access from home via modem to RAS server on a govt net (before they knew how to look)...now...not so much.

If it helps, I'm on a Verizon DSL account with a Westell 327w router. What do I need to do?
I'm sorry, I can't walk you through all the details of that; broadly speaking, you'd need to configure your router's port forwarding capability (if it has it) so that telnet traffic (port 23) is mapped to your TiVo. Google is your friend on this issue - its not a tivo-specific one, so you can find lots of info on that...

What might be an easier thing is just go through your installation/hack, etc from the start - you are still the only one (out of hundreds) having this problem, so its likely that redoing things will probably fix the problem, even if you don't know what it is.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #307
kimsan
underling

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't walk you through all the details of that; broadly speaking, you'd need to configure your router's port forwarding capability (if it has it) so that telnet traffic (port 23) is mapped to your TiVo. Google is your friend on this issue - its not a tivo-specific one, so you can find lots of info on that...
That's enough of aa pointer to get me going in the right direction.

Quote:
What might be an easier thing is just go through your installation/hack, etc from the start - you are still the only one (out of hundreds) having this problem, so its likely that redoing things will probably fix the problem, even if you don't know what it is.
I'll be trying *that* approach with my spare drive...back to 3.1.5f and start from scratch

Time is the issue right now. We're tracking the shuttle launch (attempt tonight) on Saturday, then our own orbital launch for the Air Force on Monday morning.

I'll post results as they happen.

Thanks again.

kim
Old 12-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #308
IcedTivo
TiVo Nut

db client high cpu usage

Quote:
I've never seen a situation where the dbclient took any measurable amount of CPU time. Am wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the unit you are talking about is unsubbed. Is this repeateable? ie - what happens when you reinstall the client?
Great app and thanks a bunch!

Unlike SteveT, my Dtivo is subbed; (he didn't reply back on his post...) I noticed slowdown today and using TOP find dbclient @ 85% of cpu consistantly w/ low of 55%. I reinstalled and no change. kill -9 pid doesn't seem to work but don't know if i'm doing that correctly...

Any ideas what is going on? I can connect remotely and everything else seems ok.

It would be nice to be able to shut it down w/Hackman as well if possible.
Silicon Dust 512mb Cache Card
TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3, Hackman, GoToMyDVR, TyServer
HR10-250 in limbo
2 other regular receivers (HIRD1)
IcedTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #309
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTivo
Great app and thanks a bunch!

Unlike SteveT, my Dtivo is subbed; (he didn't reply back on his post...) I noticed slowdown today and using TOP find dbclient @ 85% of cpu consistantly w/ low of 55%. I reinstalled and no change. kill -9 pid doesn't seem to work but don't know if i'm doing that correctly...

Any ideas what is going on? I can connect remotely and everything else seems ok.

It would be nice to be able to shut it down w/Hackman as well if possible.
Well, that seems a little odd. kill -9 on the pid should work for killing the client, but if thats not working then something has lost its way. I think your only alternative at this point would be restarting the unit and seeing if the problem happens again.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #310
SteveT
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTivo
....Unlike SteveT, my Dtivo is subbed; (he didn't reply back on his post...).....
Oops, forgot about that. The update is that I did not reinstall the client until after the new 10/1/2006 version came out and I loaded it. Since then, I've not seen the slowdown at all.

However, I believe the problem may have been related to that tivo losing /dev/null, as I had to fix that shortly after I removed gotomydvr. (I can't recall if I was still seeing the slowdown, or if something was crashing)

You can check for it by running
ls -l /dev/null

You can recreate it by running
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
chmod 666 /dev/null
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #311
IcedTivo
TiVo Nut

Null is ok. I've restarted several times with no change. This am dbclient was 89% and twp just wouldn't work at all. I tried re-install several times with no change. Strange thing... when I do kill -9 <pid> the pid will change but dbclient remains loaded (or reloads?).
Silicon Dust 512mb Cache Card
TivoWebPlus 2.1.b3, Hackman, GoToMyDVR, TyServer
HR10-250 in limbo
2 other regular receivers (HIRD1)
IcedTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #312
PJO1966
Legally Married

I've had a problem a couple times now. I'll be browsing through the menus, getting myself acclimated, when I suddenly will get the "Unit disconnected!
Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later." message. I still have access via telnet, but no luck with gotomydvr. If I re-enter
Quote:
sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh
through telnet, I can have access again.

Any thoughts? I searched through the thread and didn't find anything.
PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #313
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
I've had a problem a couple times now. I'll be browsing through the menus, getting myself acclimated, when I suddenly will get the "Unit disconnected!
Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later." message. I still have access via telnet, but no luck with gotomydvr. If I re-enter through telnet, I can have access again.

Any thoughts? I searched through the thread and didn't find anything.
Its one of three things:

1) time-outs - due to selection of TiVoWeb functions that take a long time to complete. if you are jumping around and clicking on things before the unit has had a chance to complete and operation and serve its request back through our server to you, then that is likely to be the problem. some TiVoWeb operations are SO slow that they will take longer than 30-seconds to complete, and if that is the case, you will also get a disconnect message because our server will time-out waiting for your tivo

2) intermittent network connectivity - if your network connection is intermittent, then you may be getting disconnect messages because your unit may be temporarily disconnected

3) a problem with your TiVo or the client server crashing. if that is happening, the watchdog process will restart the client, when it can....

Old 12-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #314
Dennisj

Gotomydvr on Sony Series 1

Just found this thread after being away from the tivocommunity for a while --- until the Season Pass fiasco this month / week affected me.

Installed the client on Sony Series 1 SA and it loaded fine and appears to be working (PS doesn't but I'll investigate that later.)

But I get "unit disconnected" at the website.

If I try to start from Bash prompt I get the error

bash-2.02# /gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: TCP forward failed: Error listening: Address
already in use
/gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Failed local port forward 7:127.0.0.1:7

so client appears to be running but never shows up at the website.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Dennisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #315
Dennisj

Configuration Info

Forgot to include the configuration info. . .

1. UNIT TYPE -- Sony Series 1 SA 1000
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): Cable
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: dynamic on Cable Modem - Static on Tivo
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): Turbonet through a dLink pocket router as client / Bridge
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): Yes
Dennisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #316
brianmay27

Cool product

first great product (seems like ) has there been a update on the
Code:
./rc.gotomydvr: .: filename argument required
.: usage: . filename
*** Empty KNOWN_HOST configuration ***
problem? sorry if there was i looked through 8 pages and got fed up of spending so much time looking.

Thanks!
brianmay27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #317
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Its one of three things:

1) time-outs - due to selection of TiVoWeb functions that take a long time to complete. if you are jumping around and clicking on things before the unit has had a chance to complete and operation and serve its request back through our server to you, then that is likely to be the problem. some TiVoWeb operations are SO slow that they will take longer than 30-seconds to complete, and if that is the case, you will also get a disconnect message because our server will time-out waiting for your tivo

2) intermittent network connectivity - if your network connection is intermittent, then you may be getting disconnect messages because your unit may be temporarily disconnected

3) a problem with your TiVo or the client server crashing. if that is happening, the watchdog process will restart the client, when it can....
I'm still having issues.

1. Not an issue this time around. i've been giving TiVoWeb time to do it's thing before clicking on something else.
2. I haven't had any networking issues.
3. Unknown. I got the message again last night and this morning still was not able to connect. I re-entered the commands above via telnet and am back in business.

*edit for clarity* Once I get disconnected, the only way I can reconnect is by re-entering the commands above.

Last edited by PJO1966 : 12-29-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #318
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I'm still having issues.

1. Not an issue this time around. i've been giving TiVoWeb time to do it's thing before clicking on something else.
2. I haven't had any networking issues.
3. Unknown. I got the message again last night and this morning still was not able to connect. I re-entered the commands above via telnet and am back in business.

*edit for clarity* Once I get disconnected, the only way I can reconnect is by re-entering the commands above.
Not sure which commands you are re-entering, but if you are starting up the client from a telnet session and then leaving that telnet session, then the client is existing when the telnet session is exited. If that sounds like the problem you are having, then I'd recommend you ensure that the startup commands have been appended to your rc.sysinit.author file (that is typically done at install time) and then restart your unit and verify that the client is started up automatically, as it should be; then I think you will be OK.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #319
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Not sure which commands you are re-entering, but if you are starting up the client from a telnet session and then leaving that telnet session, then the client is existing when the telnet session is exited. If that sounds like the problem you are having, then I'd recommend you ensure that the startup commands have been appended to your rc.sysinit.author file (that is typically done at install time) and then restart your unit and verify that the client is started up automatically, as it should be; then I think you will be OK.
I'm not starting from a telnet session, I'm starting right from the website. The commands I'm talking about are:
Quote:
sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh
Once I enter those again, I am able to reconnect via the website.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #320
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

I still don't fully understand what you are saying.

What do you mean "starting right from the website?"

For you to type those commands and execute them on your TiVo, you need to be in some sort of session, either bash from the serial port, or a telnet session, yes?

Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #321
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
I still don't fully understand what you are saying.

What do you mean "starting right from the website?"

For you to type those commands and execute them on your TiVo, you need to be in some sort of session, either bash from the serial port, or a telnet session, yes?

Sorry if I've been unclear. I connect from GoToMyDVR.com. All is well. Once I get a disconnect message, the only way to reconnect is to open up a telnet session and re-enter the codes in the above message. Once I've done that, I can go back to GoToMyDVR.com and connect.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #322
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry if I've been unclear. I connect from GoToMyDVR.com. All is well. Once I get a disconnect message, the only way to reconnect is to open up a telnet session and re-enter the codes in the above message. Once I've done that, I can go back to GoToMyDVR.com and connect.
Ok; that is my point. You are starting (and restarting) the client from a telnet session. That is what this command is:

Code:
You are manually starting the client.

And if you do that, and exit the telnet session, you will kill the client process.

My recommendation: Restart your unit; you should then not need to manually start the client as the startup commands are in your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file (you can doublecheck to see if they are there), and things should work ok from there... If you still get 'disconnect' messages it is because of a router or possibly an ISP issue (causing the loss of connectivity), OR the client on your unit is crashing for some reason. If its the latter situation, the watchdog process should automatically restart the client.

Again, all of this is null and void if you are manually starting the client and then exiting the session you are using to start the client.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #323
benallenuk

Not working for me, It installed ok from the script, but hasnt made changes to .author, so i have to run it from a telnet window.

type: /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
and get a reply of:
[1] 317

Unit disconnected! message every time on the webpage.

have maual gateway in rc.sysinit of:

/sbin/route.tivo add default gw 192.168.2.1

I can ping my router ok, and can ping google.com from tivo ok,

can access my tivo using my normal http://WANIP:5000

Any ideas?

1. UNIT TYPE: Thompson Series 1 (UK) (2.5.5)
2. BROADBAND TYPE: Cable (transparent Proxy - I think. NTL)
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP - Dynamic IP, but the cable modem is never turned off
4. NETWORK ADAPTER: Turbonet set to 192.168.2.100

Do i need any port forwards in the router, I have removed the port map 5000 to tivo, still doesnt work. Have tried mapping port 80 to tivo, not working either.

HELP

cheers

Slingbox + 10240k/512k NTL Broadband
Triax-Link for 2nd room viewing.
benallenuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #324
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

There is some conflicting information in your post; can you please attempt to reinstall the client and post the output here, as well as the contents of your /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file? That might reveal something.

You don't need to make ANY configuration changes to your router, but you do need to ensure that whatever port TiVoWeb is running on is the port your register your unit with on our server.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #325
benallenuk

Ok, I have re-installed the client, have set the port on the website to 5000, which is the port used by TIVOWEB.

Code:
bash-2.02#
< 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh

*****************  DVRupgrade, Inc.    *****************
*****************  gotomydvr beta 1.2  *****************

Preparing to install client software...

Creating temporary install directory /var/tmp/inst...

Removing older/alpha gotomydvr files from /ptvupgrade directory...

Removing beta gotomydvr files from /gotomydvr directory...

Downloading client install files from server...

Unpacking files...

Running installer...

./install.sh: touch: command not found
Downloading watchdog install files from server...

Unpacking files...

Running installer...

Startup commands have been inserted into /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author which
is a startup file that is automatically run when your TiVo is rebooted.

If you want to manually startup the gotomydvr client, you can do so by
typing the following command:

Or to restart your unit, you can use your TiVo remote, or simply type the
following command:

sync ; reboot

If you received any errors during the installation of these tools, then it is
likely that your TiVo is not seeing the Internet properly.  You should check
your router and also check to ensure a route is added to that your gateway can
be used to access the Internet.  If you are using DVRupgrade kits or DIY
software tools, this is unlikely to be a problem.

If you receive errors when starting up the client, please ensure your unit is
registered at gotomydvr.com.  Your system service ID is:

0230000******EC

Please proceed to http://www.gotomydvr.com for details and links to support
resources.

Installation completed!

bash-2.02#

rc.stsinit.author:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -f /var/hack/rc.sysinit.author.edit ]; then
. /var/hack/rc.sysinit.author.edit
fi
# Connect to the gotomydvr server:
  if [ -f /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr ]; then
  fi
rc.sysinit: - last part only

Code:
[ ! -f /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author ] || /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

echo "rc.sysinit is complete"
source /etc/rc.d/rc.net
/sbin/tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
/sbin/tivoftpd &
/sbin/route.tivo add default gw 192.168.2.1
after a restart, and looking in ps -aux, looks like the client didnt start. see below:

Code:
bash-2.02# ps -aux
warning: `-' deprecated; use `ps aux', not `ps -aux'
USER       PID %CPU %MEM  SIZE   RSS TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 init
root         2  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 (kflushd)
root         3 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:01 (kswapd)
root        90  0.0  2.4  1096   336  ?  S    12:00   0:00 update (bdflush)
root        98 99.9  4.1  1164   576  ?  S    12:00   0:01 syslogd -p /var/dev/l
root       100 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 klogd
root       108 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 EventSwitcher
root       109 99.9  5.3  5968   740  ?  S    12:00   0:03 MfsDaemon
root       110 99.9  2.0  1092   288  ?  S    12:00   0:00 fancontrol
root       137 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 Sark (mcp)
root       145 99.9 13.2  8828  1828  ?  R    12:00   0:19 tivosh /var/hack/tivo
root       148  0.0  3.4  1136   472  ?  S    12:00   0:00 /var/hack/bin/cron
root       149 99.9 11.4  7396  1588  ?  S    12:00   0:01 tivosh /var/hack/util
root       153  0.0  4.2  6132   588  ?  S    12:00   0:00 Sark (mcp)
root       154 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 PipeListen
root       155 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 Mcp event
root       156 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 tcphonehome
root       158 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 tcphonehome
root       159  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 PipeListener
root       163  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 FsMpStream
root       164 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 PhoneHome event hd
root       174 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 /sbin/tnlited 23 /bin
root       176  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 /sbin/tivoftpd
root       179 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 dbgc-mcp
root       180 99.9  5.6 10064   780  ?  S    12:00   0:00 dbgc-mcp
root       181 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 PipeListener
root       182 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 MyWorld
root       183 99.9 23.8 16060  3300  ?  S    12:00   0:06 MyWorld
root       184  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 PipeListener
root       185  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 FsMpStream
root       186 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 EventLog event
root       187  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 TmkSinkMixAud
root       188  0.0  8.5 14644  1180  ?  R    12:01   0:00 UI Timer Heart
root       189 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 TmkClipCache0
root       190  0.0  8.7 16060  1208  ?  S    12:01   0:00 TmkClipCache1
root       191 99.9 10.4 16060  1444  ?  R    12:01   0:02 TvMomMpegSink
root       192  0.0  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 TvMomMpegSink
root       193 99.9 11.1 16068  1540  ?  R    12:01   0:00 Mediaswitch0
root       194 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 TvRecorder
root       195 99.9 14.4 16060  1992  ?  S    12:01   0:00 TmkTaskManager
root       196 99.9 19.5 16060  2696  ?  R    12:01   1:17 Scheduler
root       197 99.9 17.0 16060  2356  ?  S    12:01   0:09 Prioritizer
root       198 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:02 ContextMgr eve
root       200 99.9  0.0     0     0  ?  SW   11:59   0:00 /sbin/tivoftpd
root       201 99.9  0.0     0     0  p0 SW   11:59   0:00 /bin/bash -login
root       202 99.9  0.0     0     0  p0 RW   11:59   0:00 ps -aux
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
[1] 203
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

*****I'll be dammed, it now works from the website. But still has to be started manually, any suggestions? cheers ********

Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #326
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Take a look at your rc.sysinit file -- you are running rc.sysinit.author prior to starting up your network. I've never seen an rc.sysinit file where the "source rc.net" is at the end - did you put it there? If that is a requirement, then you'll need to put the startup commands for gotomydvr AFTER you've started up your network (and you can then remove them from your rc.sysinit.author file).

Point is this: You have to startup the gotomydvr client AFTER you've started your network.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 AM   #327
fsck!

Hi - I have been trying your gotomydvr service today and, although an interesting concept, I found it to be rather sluggish. Browsing through the tivowebplus menus was pretty slow on a 5Mbit connection. I can see how this would make sense for users with multiple DVRs, but even so, you could simply run tivowebplus on a different port for each DVR, forwarding each respective port on your router accordingly and just access the DVRs directly from the outside by their respective IPís/Hostnames.

It is not my intention to bash the project (as I said, I think it is a great concept) I just feel TivoWebPlus is a bit sluggish as it is, so the extra latency added by your service makes it a bit too unpleasant for an everyday solution (IMHO).

Thanks
fsck! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 AM   #328
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck!
Hi - I have been trying your gotomydvr service today and, although an interesting concept, I found it to be rather sluggish. Browsing through the tivowebplus menus was pretty slow on a 5Mbit connection. I can see how this would make sense for users with multiple DVRs, but even so, you could simply run tivowebplus on a different port for each DVR, forwarding each respective port on your router accordingly and just access the DVRs directly from the outside by their respective IPís/Hostnames.
That's not all that secure, though. The TiVoWeb password is very basic authentication, no encryption, and I'd be kinda bummed to come home and see someone's gone in and mucked with my TiVo!

Chance of that happening? Slim to none, I'm sure.

But at least this tool provides one simple layer of protection, if only for peace of mind. Something to consider, at least.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:24 AM   #329
benallenuk

Quote:
Take a look at your rc.sysinit file -- you are running rc.sysinit.author prior to starting up your network. I've never seen an rc.sysinit file where the "source rc.net" is at the end - did you put it there? If that is a requirement, then you'll need to put the startup commands for gotomydvr AFTER you've started up your network (and you can then remove them from your rc.sysinit.author file).

Point is this: You have to startup the gotomydvr client AFTER you've started your network.

OK, I changed it all at the bottom of rc.sysinit, moving the rc.sysinit.author IF statement to the bottom, this caused my Tivo to hang on 'almost there'. I had to pull the drive and undo what i did using a bootcd as didnt have telnet access.

I have deleted the gotomydvr comments from .author, and have put right at the bottom of rc.sysinit .

It now works.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #330
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck!

It is not my intention to bash the project (as I said, I think it is a great concept) I just feel TivoWebPlus is a bit sluggish as it is, so the extra latency added by your service makes it a bit too unpleasant for an everyday solution (IMHO).

Thanks
Thx for the feedback; a few thoughts and comments:

1) the bandwidth of your connection won't (shouldn't) make a difference unless there is a problem or bottleneck on our server. latency is the issue and i'd suggest that its not related to the latency of your network connection, but the speed at which your client returns the information; ie - unfortunately, TiVoWebPlus runs slowly in some implementations and that is a problem - would be great to have a lighter weight / faster version of TiVoWebPlus or an alternative http-based interface that was a little less clunky in this scenario

2) 'simply' using different ports is exactly what we were trying to eliminate with gotomydvr. the idea was to design and deploy a solution which required ZERO knowledge of ones home network to utilize. this is now beyond the concept stage as we've begun to embed the gotomydvr client in select kits and products, which means installation of the client (ie knowledge of your TiVo IP address is not necessary) no longer requires any technical ability, nor does one ever need to touch their router

3) as fofer said, its inherently more secure. to add to that, even if you argue that one can securely configure multiple TiVo units (albeit a more technical process) using a port forwarding scheme, it means you need to have administrative access to the router, and that leads to other security issues.

I do understand what you are saying, though -- personally, I think the *issue* is performance. With the newer version of TiVoWebPlus, I think there is some promise there. 6.2 and 6.3 are definitely better than older versions of the software. Series1 units with CacheCards are definitely peppy But still, TiVoWebPlus is a monster of an app to run on these units, either remotely or non-remotely - its a great app though. I do think there is room for something lighter-weight, and more conducive to say, a true mobile device and that would play well with gotomydvr.

So, to point out, we are well beyond the concept phase wrt to the TiVo platform here. There are over 1000 users registered and about 700 TiVo units registered with the site now and we are seeing decent activity. Thats good. The real concept here is to extend beyond the TiVoWebPlus world, though -- either to another http-based management interface (anyone game for that?) or even a new platform altogether; I think *that* would be cool.

Happy New Year!