TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #1591
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord46
Are the "public statements from Comcast" JLIB and other posters have referred to available in written form accessible to members of this forum? Based upon my own experience with numerous Comcast customer service supervisors here in South Florida, I'd love to see those "public statements" in writing. Otherwise, they are just rumors dismissed out of hand by the many reps I've spoken with.

I have 2 S3s, each with two cable cards, and a stand-alone TV with one cable card. I subscribe to "digital plus" and HBO, and get HD signals for all local TV channels as well as HBO, Discovery, TNT, INHD, and ESPN. I am being charged 5 times for HD service at $5 each (one charge per cable card), and 4 times for additional outlets at $4.99 each (one charge per cable card, after the first one free with my digital package). Assuming my stand-alone cable-card-equippedTV is the one outlet I get for free with my digital plan, I am paying $19.98 monthly for each S3 (2x$5 plus 2x$4.99), plus $5 for HD signals to the stand-alone TV. Comcast customer service says I could toss the S3s in the trash, and get two of their set-top box dual-tuner DVRs for $9.95 each plus one additional outlet charge (at $6.99 per month each) for a total of $16.94 per Comcast HD DVR box. Therefore, tossing my new S3s, I could save $6.08 per month (2x $3.04 per box), and as part of the deal get two Comcast HD DVRs which they will replace if ever anything goes wrong with them - not a bad warranty. Why, if you are paying $800 per Tivo HD box, thus saving Comcast a bundle in hardware and warranty-service charges, should you pay more than someone renting Comcast HD DVR equipment?
Our local Comcast info shows the $5 (in writing) as the equipment charge. Now, that doesn't mean they can't charge the $5 for each cablecard as it is equipment but most areas don't charge that much. At least one cablecard should be free since (at least here) it is written in the digital package that you get one STB free in the package cost. Assuming they are telling you the CC has the same charge as a STB, the first equipment has already been paid for.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #1592
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk
Ugg, what a nightware Cable Install with Comcast has/still is.

First 2 cards I got never worked, all said Waiting for CP Auth. They couldn't do anything, had to have a tech come out. He did, worked with them for awhile, my account was all screwed uo in relation to cablecards, never worked, so they had him try some more cards, and they figured out that these never were entered into their system, as they've had problems with that. So all they could do was get new cards, the comcast guy was nice enough, and tried his best, I dont fault him. He even went back to the office grabbed 4 more cablecards with an appropriate date that the cableheadend guys told him would work, get here and 2 of them have a technical problem [thats what tivo said]. and the other 2 says my cable company knows nothing of these cards. What a headache, since I have to work all week, the next time they can come and try is Saturday! This is such a headache!
A few of us had similar problems. Took me 3 calls to get 2 CC's working right. Multiple problems. It's usually they don't get them in the system correct, they don't send the signal correctly (may have to send a reset), or the CC's are bad. We had one more problem that we had wind storms that knocked out cable and the signals never came to the CC's. Cable went off and on intermittently so looked like it was up but lost the signals. Finally after a couple of different reset signals, they got it working after a week.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #1593
murryamorris

Quote:
NOTE: A few hours after posting the above, I was informed by Comcast that the $4.99 charge for additional outlets on my bill was a mistake, and that the charge should have been $6.99. So now I'm paying $5.00 for the first cable card, and $11.99 ($5.00 plus $6.99) for each one of my other 4 cable cards installed in my two S3s, for a total of $52.96 per month. If I gave back all my cable cards and ditched my S3s and replaced them with 2 Comcast DVRs and an HD STB for the third TV, I'd be paying $38.88 per month total. Those cable cards cost Comcast a lot less than two DVRs and an STB, but they are charging me more, not less, for supplying my own equipment. Both monthly figures were confirmed by Comcast HQ in Philly.
Wow, that does sound predatory. That's more than I pay for my entire cable service (digital plus CC's but then mine are free here in Seattle). Even with Comcast internet, my bill is only $90.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #1594
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbong1021
I made sure to tell them it was a Tivo .. because I heard through these forums that if they know its a Tivo, they will send out an actual Comcast tech rather than a 3rd party tech who may not be as well trained in Tivo installs.

For what its worth, when I told them I had a Tivo S3, they sent out a real Comcast rep who really knew his stuff. All done and ready to go in about 30 min.
I did the install myself but did tell them it was a Tivo S3 and they knew what I was talking about. The final CSR that sent a full reset signal to my second card said the steps they have listed for going through CC setup is a bit different on the Tivo. She was trying to give me instructions for a TV but as soon as I said, no, it's a S3 Tivo she changed to another manual and gave me different steps and resent a signal. Then it authorized fine. She was very good and knew her stuff, unlike the previous person I called at 2AM and she said you just plug in the cards and they will work (yeah, right).
Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #1595
keenanSR

When I called to setup the install for my S3 w/CCs they knew right away what the 2 cards were for. It's just a matter of educating their CSRs, and Comcast doesn't do a very good job of it.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #1596
aaronwt
HD Addict

The CC setup with Comcast has officially become a PITA. They haven't been able to get it to work so I have to get a tech out here in a 1.5 weeks. I was hoping to have it working with the cablecards before January so I could put in the 500GB drives I bought. I'll need to wait now. Plus Comcast reminded me of why I left them over a year ago. I'm already having billing problems with my first bill and they are trying to charge me more than they are supposed to. Only a couple of weeks back with Comcast and I'm already longing for the day that FIOS is available here.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #1597
eabhanel

Series3 losing HBO-HD constantly (Comcast in Fort Lauderdale)

I'm kind of new to these forums and I tried this in a separate thread, but I think it really belongs here...

I've been experiencing a problem where I constantly am losing my HBO-HD signal through my two CableCards. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, and here HBO-HD is channel 228.

When I completely unplug the unit, I'll usually get one (and sometimes both) of the cards to receive 228, but sometimes that doesn't even work, and even when it does, it rarely lasts longer that a day. I can provide any technical details asked, but I'm really not to clear on what some of those special screens mean when you go into the sub-menus for working with the CableCards. When not functioning, I simply get a gray screen, although the TiVo says what's SUPPOSED to be showing. It'll will record shows of 0:00 length when they're scheduled .

I've called and asked for help from Comcast, but they're of little use, and when I spoke to TiVo technical support, they told me that this was a known issue that was planned on being addressed with the next software release, but was told this wouldn't be done for the Series3 units until all the Series2 (single and dual-tuner) units are upgraded.
eabhanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #1598
JPShinn

I had Comcast come out last night for the CC install. Went smooth as silk, for the most part. The only hitch was that the "home office" was delayed in doing the activation. I guess it was a busy time and not enough operators. In any event, the guys was here a total of 45 minutes and then all was done. Complete activation happened an hour or so later.

I could not have been happier with the experience.

John
JPShinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #1599
blastoff

Atlanta Comcast installed my two cablecards in my S3. This took two visits, because on the first try one of the cablecards did not work, and he had no extra card (despite the fact that I got the guy to admit that sometimes they go thru 3 or 4 cards to get one to work). Both times the techs had never seen an S3, and had zero interest in looking at the installer sheet.

In my limited experience here, I would recommend that the cards be done one at a time. Do the test channel thing that comes up and make sure you're getting everything you're supposed to. Then do the next card. Once you back out into the Tivo main menu, you won't be able to access the coded channels until you redo the setup, which will take a little time, so if you do this it might appear like you don't have them. If you got them in "test channels," you got them.

I want to comment about the pricing, though. I was told my whole setup (HD box for PPV plus 2 cablecards for the S3) would be $5 additional a month. But it's turning out to be more like $30. My first bill is a bit polluted with installation and partial month info, but some of the key charges are:

$5.00 HD box
$1.50 per CC x 2
$5.99 Digital Service A/O x 3 (have not gotten a clear explanation of what this is)
one of these A/O's was described as "motor hoses" for my internet service. What? These guys did absolutely nothing but initialize two CC's and attached a box to a cable that was ready and waiting. I've had internet service for 6 years without any addl charge.

that accounts for about $26 a month (a bit more than the $5 I was quoted)

the installation was $15.70, close to the $15 I was told

Not too happy with the billing. Perhaps the person I talked to was ignorant, but this seems an awful lot like bait and switch. Talked locally, but could not get a manager. Think I may try the 800 number as some suggested. Anyone locate the franchise authority with Atlanta?
blastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #1600
joelmoses

Here in Nashville, I guess it's done a little differently than most of the postings I've read in this thread. Instead of calling to have them come out and install, the local Comcast reps tell you to go pick up a pair of CableCards at the service shop and install them yourself. We did that yesterday without much trouble.

The person behind the counter at the service desk did something on her computer, got two cards out of her drawer, did a little something else on the computer, and then scanned the cards. We had to sign a little paperwork, promising to return them if we cancel the service (at a $750 penalty if we don't!).

We took them home and followed the CC installation kit as well as we could, disregarding the part about calling the numbers in. They, of course, refused to subscribe...

We called 1-800-COMCAST and explained the situation and, after the first guy immediately transferred us to Home Networking (who had no clue what we were talking about), we got someone who was able to help. He hit one card at a time for us, and -- all channels are present with both cards subscribed. Took maybe 5 minutes once I got directed to the right guy.

I gotta say, that was surprisingly easy compared to some of the difficulties I've heard people have with the process in this thread.
joelmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #1601
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff
...Anyone locate the franchise authority with Atlanta?
It's usually the city in which you live. In any event, it's also on the bill from Comcast (of course in tiny print).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #1602
Mikala

Novato, CA (SF Bay Area).

Just posting my experience...I called Comcast on 12/26 and told them I needed two cC's. She understood it was for Tivo. Scheduled visit for 12/28.

Tech showed up. I asked if he worked for Comcast and if he's done these card installs before..."yes" and "yes". He said he's been working for Comcast for about three months but mostly does phone, internet, cable setups. Said they trained him on those things but not on cC's. Said he only does about one cC install a week and wishes he could do more for more practice. Anyway, he was a very patient, easy-going Brazilian guy (I called Comcast to tell them how great he was). He was supposed to come between 3-5pm but showed up at 11am and said, "I wanted to get the card install out of the way".

He said we needed to unplug Tivo from the power source before installing cC #1. I hadn't read this but decided to go along with him. We unplugged Tivo, he put the card in. He called to activate it. No channels. He called and asked them to "hit" the card. He waited about 5 minutes, channels still not working on card #1. We got the 161-4 error twice for card #1 and after about 5-7 minutes the channels started showing up. Then got two 161-4 errors for card #2 (about 2-3 minutes apart), then a few minutes later channels showed up.

We thanked him and he left. Overall, fairly smooth compared to what I've read. But taking the "so-far-so-good" stance as I know people have experienced problems after what seemed like a successful setup.

Keeping my fingers crossed and my season passes on my other Tivos.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #1603
Richard Krehbiel

Manassas, VA - not good

Got a Series 3 for Christmas (thanks dear!). The Comcast office wouldn't just hand me the cable cards, so the tech came to my house yesterday. He only had one card. Sheesh - okay, I'll get the other one later, I'll just see one work. I pretty much did the install myself with the tech looking on (but not very well, as it turned out...)

Sometime after the tech left, I noticed I wasn't picking up DiscoveryHD. I don't subscribe to the premium channels, we've been all analog up until now, so I didn't really know what to look for.

Today I asked my wife to call Comcast (while I was at work) and ask about the second cable card, and while she was talking to them she mentioned DiscoveryHD. The customer service rep said to reboot the box or remove and reinsert the cable card. When I got home I rebooted, and then noticed a message pop up saying "In order to start service for this device, please contact customer service at Ph # 703-730-2225", and it had cable card ID and device ID numbers. Hmm.

"I'm a moron, I didn't finish configuration, and I didn't even notice until now" thinks I. So I call the number given, and get someone who says:

"Our cable cards aren't compatible with the Tivo series 3. Do you know Comcast has it's own DVR?"

Well, that caught me off guard. I said a few disparaging things about the Comcast DVR ("but lots of people like it" - "only people who haven't had a Tivo"). I noted that none of the other 3 or 4 Comcast folk I had talked to mentioned this (and I had always been specific that this was for a Tivo Series 3). And then I said goodbye and hung up.

Grrr. I did a Google search, and found this very thread which contains a report of a Comcast Manassas success.

I called back a few minutes later to talk with someone else. I didn't mention Tivo until he asked me, and he didn't say they were incompatible. We tried a few things (always the same result), and then he scheduled a tech to come for a visit on Sunday.

When the tech comes, I want to be armed and literate. What should I do to be ready to answer the "it doesn't work with Tivo" claims? Thanks.

Last edited by Richard Krehbiel : 12-28-2006 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo in title
Richard Krehbiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #1604
doraemon

The TiVo Series 3 is a Cablelabs certified device. Thus, it *will* work with CableCards. Also, Comcast must support CableCards because they are required to by federal law.

Think that about sums it up.
doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #1605
JTYoung1

If you have billing issues I recommend calling and requesting a current Products & Services Price List. I received one with my last bill because the rates are going up on 2/1. Armed with this I was able to get some charges relating to the cable cards removed off my bill that until now I was having a difficult time getting resolved. I also got a credit for the last few months where they were overcharging me.
I am paying just the base rate for my package now and not paying for the 2nd cable card in the TiVo, but they both still work. I told them that I was supposed to be paying for a 2nd cable card according to their price list but the rep in Sales that I was talking to and her supervisor both said that I wasn't supposed to be paying for the 2nd card.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #1606
Mikala

just a friendly reminder to post where you live if it's not under your avatar. i'm very interested in info from SF bay area and the north bay but so often things are VERY different in different places....thanks!

Last edited by Mikala : 12-29-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #1607
JPShinn

Ok, lame question: I'm about to return my Motorla box to Comcast (praise the angels) but I can't remember what came with it other than a remote and power cord. Was there an HDMI cable? Component? Audio cables? Any help would be great.

Thx.
John
JPShinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #1608
Mikala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPShinn
Ok, lame question: I'm about to return my Motorla box to Comcast (praise the angels) but I can't remember what came with it other than a remote and power cord. Was there an HDMI cable? Component? Audio cables? Any help would be great.
it's been a while since i picked up a box but i know they gave us component cables the first time we got a HD box...oh, they gave us an optical audio cable too. i think it can vary a lot. if you don't remember, take back what you have and see if they ask for anything else.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #1609
lavenderhaze

Cable Companies are 'unique' to each LOCAL Community

I have read lots of threads out here about the different pricing everyone is experiencing. One thing to remember, your LOCAL community leaders establish the pricing agreements for your cable service, not Comcast. That is why there seems to be 1000's of Comcast Cable Co. (or any other cable co.for that matter).

The city I live in determines the charge for each extra cable box and what constitutes an 'outlet'.

That is why the FCC is considering opening the cable market to regulation at the state level instead of local, so instead of 1000's we'd have 50 or fewer if the cable companies can convice the FCC that they should have markets like what the Baby Bells had.
lavenderhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #1610
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYoung1
Armed with this I was able to get some charges relating to the cable cards removed off my bill that until now I was having a difficult time getting resolved.
Where do you live? It seems to make a big difference in billing practices.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 AM   #1611
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderhaze
I have read lots of threads out here about the different pricing everyone is experiencing. One thing to remember, your LOCAL community leaders establish the pricing agreements for your cable service, not Comcast. That is why there seems to be 1000's of Comcast Cable Co. (or any other cable co.for that matter).

The city I live in determines the charge for each extra cable box and what constitutes an 'outlet'.

That is why the FCC is considering opening the cable market to regulation at the state level instead of local, so instead of 1000's we'd have 50 or fewer if the cable companies can convice the FCC that they should have markets like what the Baby Bells had.
That's not what I understand the process to be at all. I don't think Comcast is under any government's thumb, not even the feds it seems, as their policies are fearlessly defiant of the intent Section 629 of the 1996 Federal Telecommunications Act. While the local government may approve the rates in some locales, surely Comcast sets them and then asks for that approval in those instances. (Is it ever denied?) In my battles with Comcast in Florida and HQ in Philadelphia, I've found them defending their own pricing policy, never using the excuse that the government made them do it. The pricing is so predatory to Tivo customers and so favorable to Comcast, at least in South Florida, that the idea the government is responsible for anything other than turning a blind eye to what Comcast is doing seems very unlikely to me.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #1612
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
... as their policies are fearlessly defiant of the intent Section 629 of the 1996 Federal Telecommunications Act.
What you mean is that their policies are defiant of what you wish the intent of Section 629 is. By law, and in reality, the FCC officials and the courts have the exclusive rights to determine the intent of the act, and through their actions and inactions seem to disagree with you.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #1613
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala
Novato, CA (SF Bay Area).

Just posting my experience...I called Comcast on 12/26 and told them I needed two cC's. She understood it was for Tivo. Scheduled visit for 12/28.

Tech showed up. I asked if he worked for Comcast and if he's done these card installs before..."yes" and "yes". He said he's been working for Comcast for about three months but mostly does phone, internet, cable setups. Said they trained him on those things but not on cC's. Said he only does about one cC install a week and wishes he could do more for more practice. Anyway, he was a very patient, easy-going Brazilian guy (I called Comcast to tell them how great he was). He was supposed to come between 3-5pm but showed up at 11am and said, "I wanted to get the card install out of the way".

He said we needed to unplug Tivo from the power source before installing cC #1. I hadn't read this but decided to go along with him. We unplugged Tivo, he put the card in. He called to activate it. No channels. He called and asked them to "hit" the card. He waited about 5 minutes, channels still not working on card #1. We got the 161-4 error twice for card #1 and after about 5-7 minutes the channels started showing up. Then got two 161-4 errors for card #2 (about 2-3 minutes apart), then a few minutes later channels showed up.

We thanked him and he left. Overall, fairly smooth compared to what I've read. But taking the "so-far-so-good" stance as I know people have experienced problems after what seemed like a successful setup.

Keeping my fingers crossed and my season passes on my other Tivos.
Did you unplug the power and insert the card and restart the TiVo or did they hit the card with the power off to the TiVo? If the power was on when did they send the signal to hit the card? Was it after the S3 went through the several minute boot up process oir during the bottup process?
I'm trying to figure what else I can do on my own without having to wait another week for the tech to come out and most likely wasting my time becasue they send a tech that won't know what to do, which is what normally happens around here.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #1614
cluemeister

my comcast story so far (NH/VT area)

Got the S3 for XMAS. Called 800-Comcast the day after, and was told "we can arrange a service call to install the cablecards, but you're better off picking them up at your local office." I confirm the local office address with the comcast rep, and head over. It's on the VT/NH border.

Walk into local office, and they say "we don't have those here." After further discussion, they say they will order them, and schedule an appointment. They call later in the day to confirm appointment for Friday AM. Not bad, three days after I stop by the office, I say to myself. I confirm it's for 2 cablecards.

Friday AM comes, the phone rings at the time the rep is supposed to arrive. "We don't have cards here, it's going to take up to two weeks to get them in. We'll reschedule. Call 800-comcast with any questions"

I call the 800-comcast number, and they have no record of the appt. being cancelled. I ask for the local office number, and I'm told the local office does not have a number. So I have no way to contact the tech who cancelled the appointment.

I'd like to say I'm surprised.

Last edited by cluemeister : 12-29-2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added geographical location
cluemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #1615
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
What you mean is that their policies are defiant of what you wish the intent of Section 629 is. By law, and in reality, the FCC officials and the courts have the exclusive rights to determine the intent of the act, and through their actions and inactions seem to disagree with you.
Here's what the Act says. It's clear enough that you don't need to be a lawyer to understand its consumer-friendly intent:

'TITLE III - CABLE SERVICES
SEC. 629. COMPETITIVE AVAILABILITY OF NAVIGATION DEVICES.

'(a) Commercial Consumer Availability of Equipment Used To Access Services Provided by Multichannel Video Programming Distributors: The Commission shall, in consultation with appropriate industry standard-setting organizations, adopt regulations to assure the commercial availability, to consumers of multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, of converter boxes, interactive communications equipment, and other equipment used by consumers to access multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, from manufacturers, retailers, and other vendors not affiliated with any multichannel video programming distributor.

See: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...LsPw9:e228095:

Fortunately for us consumers, it's premature to report that the FCC and the courts have concluded Comcast is compliant with the Act. If you work for a cable provider like Comcast, you know there is a fierce battle currently ongoing at the FCC level over implementation of Section 629 between cable providers, content providers, and Tivo, and it is not over by any means. Very recent court decisions have upheld FCC interim rules that are harmful to Comcast's efforts to monopolize, control and price the delivering content to homes. The FCC's rulemaking efforts, as required by the Act, are taking a long time because of the ferocity of the combatants.

You are correct, though, that it remains to be seen what the ultimate outcome will be. Right now, the status-quo favors Comcast and cable providers, because they are able to assess punitive charges against customers like us for choosing other equipment options like Tivo, thus diverting customers and revenue from Tivo to itself. Most of us here in the Tivo Community I'm sure are hoping the FCC can fight through the delaying tactics and get its final rules out implementing Section 629 and limiting the power of cable companies, in time to help companies like Tivo survive.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #1616
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

so I have just tried Comcast twice with the same result - we have our own DVR and we do not support Tivo so our cards won't work with it. I tried asking the lady on the 2nd call if I could just get 2 cards to try it anyway and was shot down. I was informed that a tech must come and install these into tvs only.

I'm about to try for call #3 now. this is frustrating.

EDIT: call #3 same old story. immediately the question from the CSR is - "what tv do you have?". I tell them its for a Tivo not a tv. then I get a "oh, our cards do not work with the Tivos. we have our own DVR so we do not support our competition. our cards will not work in the Tivos no matter what". I push on that issue a bit and tell her thats strange as I have been reading here(on this forum) all the people who are using it with their service and she simply tells me "sounds like they're all lying since it will 100% not work with the Tivo period.". at that point I just said thanks and hung up the phone.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR

Last edited by chrishicks : 12-29-2006 at 03:13 PM.
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #1617
Mikala

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Did you unplug the power and insert the card and restart the TiVo or did they hit the card with the power off to the TiVo? If the power was on when did they send the signal to hit the card? Was it after the S3 went through the several minute boot up process oir during the bottup process?
I'm trying to figure what else I can do on my own without having to wait another week for the tech to come out and most likely wasting my time becasue they send a tech that won't know what to do, which is what normally happens around here.
He called in both cards before we started, giving them three digit numbers off the cards (motorola cards). Then, power off (unplugged), inserted card #1, powered on (plugged it back in), waited a few minutes [while S3 went through several minute boot up process]...waited a few minutes more and then "hit card" #1...waited a minute [he actually then put card #2 in before we had confirmation that card #1 was working], error messages came in on card #1 spaced a few minutes apart, then it worked...he "hit" card #2...i'm pretty sure that's how it went.

are you taking out and re-inserting your cards and calling in for them to "hit" the cards? i'm a newbie myself, btw...just curious.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #1618
Mikala

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
so I have just tried Comcast twice with the same result - we have our own DVR and we do not support Tivo so our cards won't work with it. I tried asking the lady on the 2nd call if I could just get 2 cards to try it anyway and was shot down. I was informed that a tech must come and install these into tvs only.

I'm about to try for call #3 now. this is frustrating.

EDIT: call #3 same old story. immediately the question from the CSR is - "what tv do you have?". I tell them its for a Tivo not a tv. then I get a "oh, our cards do not work with the Tivos. we have our own DVR so we do not support our competition. our cards will not work in the Tivos no matter what". I push on that issue a bit and tell her thats strange as I have been reading here(on this forum) all the people who are using it with their service and she simply tells me "sounds like they're all lying since it will 100% not work with the Tivo period.". at that point I just said thanks and hung up the phone.
do you plan to call Tivo and ask them to help?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #1619
rocull

Here's my story of S3 and Comcast.

I got my S3 a few days before Christmas and scheduled an appointment with Comcast techs, because I was told on the phone that I would not be able to get the cablecards at the local office. Two techs came the day after Chrismas (2 hours after the time they alotted for me, so I am getting a credit for the installation fee as well as $20 bucks for them being late). It took them about an hour to find the right person in Comcast who could activate the cablecards, but finally they were able to do it.

However, after they left, I realized that none of the premium channels were showing up, so I called Comcast who said that they could not do anything until the next morning. The following morning I called and after about an hour on the phone, being disconnected and all, I was able to actually speak to someone at Comcast who had done TiVo installations before, so she was able to turn on all the programming for me over the phone within 10 minutes.

On a scale of 1-10, I give Comcast a 2, because they should have set everything up when the 2 techs came, and because of all the bouncing around that I had to go through before I was transferred to someone who knew something.
rocull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #1620
QZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
EDIT: call #3 same old story. immediately the question from the CSR is - "what tv do you have?". I tell them its for a Tivo not a tv. then I get a "oh, our cards do not work with the Tivos. we have our own DVR so we do not support our competition. our cards will not work in the Tivos no matter what".
If it weren't so frustating that would be hilarious, 'they don't support their competition', well, it isn't up to them.

If you want to try again, mention that the FCC mandates that they must support 'All CableCard Devices', and Tivo S3 is 'CableLabs Certified'. And, if they don't comply you will file a complaint with the FCC.

But really, if they won't listen, you should try calling Tivo next, like the other person said.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote