TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
mikeandnikki

Arrow Help please - Tuner gone bad on a series 2

Through trial and error, I have determined that the line 2 tuner in the DirecTivo box in my living room has gone partially bad. A number of channels get intermittently pixilated (garbled video and sound) including CNN, Comedy Central, Bravo, and TBS. Other channels are fine. It doesn't matter which input cable is going into the 2nd tuner - the problem persists there. The line 1 tuner has no problems with these same stations (and my other DirecTivo is having no problems at all eliminating a signal issue).

What I am wondering is if anyone knows how I can get this repaired? Anyone had this issue previously and is there a course of action I can take?

Given that the tuner is DirecTv specific, I assume that only they would have replacements - but with their move to the non-tivo boxes will they have any or provide any help (I've emailed them but am not optimistic)?

You guys are the greatest source of help so if there's an answer I know someone here has it. Thanks in advance
Mike
mikeandnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

I haven't seen any posts here where anyone has successfully replaced or repaired a defective satellite tuner. You're lucky that it's Tuner 2 that's defective because you can still use this DVR as a single-tuner Tivo.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
goony

You might want to use the search function and look for the word tuner and specify Search Titles Only and only search in this DirecTV Receiver with Tivo forum - this has been discussed a few times before.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Check all TPs on tuner 2 and check to see if you are missing the even numbered ones. If so, then it's possible that the voltage regulator that selects the odd/even TPs for that tuner has failed. This is a somewhat easier repair. And, before you ask, I don't know what part or where it's located on the main circuit board. You can check this with a voltmeter to see if you get 13vdc or 18vdc on the sab line,
Old 12-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
mikeandnikki

Wink Workaround? working

Thanks guys - as usual - you are on the ball. I took Goony's advice and searched around (I am still fairly new to the site and did not know about all the search criterion I could specify and so my previous searches had come up with too much information).

A couple of the threads I found discussed removing the s-video output and going back to composite video output. I thought this was strange but figured it was worth a shot. Low and behold - the moment I removed the s-video cable from the back of the box, the breakup stopped. I have now rewired to not use the s-video and have had no problems on any channel for over an hour!

Does anyone know why the heck this worked? Not looking a gift horse in the mouth but I am concerned that maybe I am just not seeing the problem and the degradation of the tuner is continuing and will eventually completely blink out, I'm just not seeing symptoms any more. The only other option is that the problem exists in an area that affects the s-video output. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks again for your help. Based on what you have said and what was in other threads, sounds like if this does go, I might as well just look to get a new box versus fixing the tuner.

Tentatively happy and very appreciative : )
Mike
Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Why this worked for one tuner and not the other is beyond me. Try reconnecting the s-video cable to see if it comes back.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
QED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnikki

A couple of the threads I found discussed removing the s-video output and going back to composite video output. I thought this was strange but figured it was worth a shot. Low and behold - the moment I removed the s-video cable from the back of the box, the breakup stopped. I have now rewired to not use the s-video and have had no problems on any channel for over an hour! Mike
I read those same threads a couple of months ago. I also read the composite vs. S-video solution but did not try it. I am now wondering if this works due to a collection of dirt/dust in or around that area of the circuit board maybe causing a short/voltage drain. Did you try taking the cover off and giving the innards a good clean?

My solution was less technical. I got a refurbished Hughes unit off of ebay. It was a steal at under $50 delivered. There was (maybe still is) a seller (tivoitcom??) who sold only refurbed Hughes' units. Mine works great. It came with an old software version but forcing a call to the mothership downloaded v6.2. I then upgraded the drive to a 400GB Seagate and I'm happily sitting on a 357 hour unit.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
goony

Quote:
Does anyone know why the heck this worked?
I've been wondering about this fix. No, I don't think dust & dirt would be the issue.

I need to open up one of my spare DTivos and have a good look around inside... with no schematics it will be a lot of guessing but maybe I can figure out a way to do some tests.

Last edited by goony : 12-28-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
bILLH97

Same Deal HDVR2

I had a Hughes HDVR-2 had the same problem. Bad tuner on input 2. About 3 years old. Went to Wal-Mart and bought new old stock Direct TV Tivo R-10 for $100. My wife hated the idea of a non-Tivo unit. There are several companies on e-bay for geting a refurbished one and changing the HD but decided to buy the new R-10 instead.

Bill
bILLH97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
mikeandnikki

like a light switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
Try reconnecting the s-video cable to see if it comes back.
It's like a light switch - if I unplug the s-video - both tuners work perfectly - if I plug it back in, the distortion happens instantly on tuner 2 (with tuner 1 still operating fine). It's the darndest thing.

I have not opened up the case and cleaned it out (it's 4 years old so there may be a lot of build up). Probably not a bad idea to clean at this point anyway. I'll experiment once complete and post if I find that fixes the problem.

Think I may start looking into the series 3s and switching to cable just to be prepared if this is just a reprive measure and not actually a fix.

Thanks again everyone. 6 hours later and still no problems. At a minimum, this bought me some time to look at my options. I know that DirectTv CSRs would have been useless at helping me and that this community was my only hope. Thanks for coming through.
Mike
Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
goony

Quote:
It's like a light switch - if I unplug the s-video - both tuners work perfectly - if I plug it back in, the distortion happens instantly on tuner 2 (with tuner 1 still operating fine). It's the darndest thing.
What is the S-Video cable feeding to? your tv set??

I'm trying to develop a theory as to what is going on... do you possibly have another TV set with an S-Video input that you could replace the current TV set with to see if it still happens? Even if you do, it wouldn't be an easy task to switch, probably.

Don't go to the bother of doing this unless you have an overwhelming technical curiosity about this issue.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
mikeandnikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
What is the S-Video cable feeding to? your tv set??.
The s-vid is going into my Onkyo receiver which is then heading on to the TV. When I have a sec, I will try direct plugging the s-vid cable into the tv (it's a 43" so it takes a little manuvering). I'll let you know what I find out.

I don't think it has anything to do with this but I have swithed out the original HD for a 250gb one (years ago). I only mention as I saw this in a number of other posts reporting this problem. My guess is that it is a total coincidence but in case it matters...
Mike
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
shredhead

not sure if this is a similar issue...

One of my HDVR2's had pretty jumpy/jittery video coming from both composite and SVideo connectors. Most visually noticeable was TEXT when you'd change channels or look at any of the Tivo menus. Definitely wasn't the TV set because I checked multiple inputs and multiple devices. The problem later went away on its own. My other units didn't have this problem so it wasn't the signal.. Wierd.. Whatever chip controls video output is perhaps about to go bad. The hard drive is making noise too.. If this happens again I'll get my video camera to make up a sample.
shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #14
blksnake

Quote:
A couple of the threads I found discussed removing the s-video output and going back to composite video output. I thought this was strange but figured it was worth a shot. Low and behold - the moment I removed the s-video cable from the back of the box, the breakup stopped. I have now rewired to not use the s-video and have had no problems on any channel for over an hour!
Thanks Mike! Your tip worked for me!
blksnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
wareynolds

so is/was it just that the svideo was plugged in?

I also am confused on the channel thing, if I have a dual LNB circle dish, with another dish for locals and all going to a multi-switch, would is not be a problem on all channels? It does seem to be on a few things we record. but it seems every time we record we have a problem. If it were a tuner 2 issue shouldn't it be all channels sometimes and no some channels all the time? thanks in advance.
wareynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
astrongone
astrongone

Thumbs up Removing S-Video Cable solves problem

Removing the S-Video cable to test and confirm that the pixilation would stop solved the problem. I have just pulled the S-Video cable several nights in a row and get good recorded results.
Quote:

astrongone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareynolds
so is/was it just that the svideo was plugged in?

I also am confused on the channel thing, if I have a dual LNB circle dish, with another dish for locals and all going to a multi-switch, would is not be a problem on all channels? It does seem to be on a few things we record. but it seems every time we record we have a problem. If it were a tuner 2 issue shouldn't it be all channels sometimes and no some channels all the time? thanks in advance.
If it were a tuner issue, it would be on certain (or all) channels (based on transponder polarity) on a certain tuner (Satellite input). In general tuner problems can be checked by swapping the inputs on the back of the box. If it stays on the same tuner it is likely an issue with the tuner (or at least not an input signal issue). If it changes with the input swap it is most likely a problem with something other than the tivo (lnb, multi-switch or wiring).

In this case the problem went away when the S-Video was disconnected, indicating some kind of interference from the S-vid circuitry when the cable is connected.

For the OP, Did you try a different cable?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #18
jangelj

I had this exact same problem. The symptoms (pixellation on tuner 2) started occasionally, then happened more and more frequently. Finally one morning I got up and my tivo had a blank screen and the Hard drive was clicking. So I thought that the HD going bad had caused the pixellation. GREAT! I thought. It's a good excuse to finally put a big (250 GB) HD in my directivo.

I bought a western dig. 250 GB HD and, copied from the old HD (it had enough life left in it for me to make a copy). I installed the new HD and lo and behold the pixellation continued. That's when I came to the forum and saw the posts about unplugging the Svideo. So I unplugged the svideo, hooked up with the rca jack and it worked perfectly...for days...no pixellation.

So I tried some different scenarios. I plugged in directly from svideo on the tivo to the tv (I normally use a selector switch) and the pixellation came back immediately. I went svideo on the tivo to the switch (the way it was originally setup) and the pixellation was there. It seems that whenever an svideo cable was plugged into the tivo it would pixellate on tuner 2.

What i find strange/interesting is that I've had this HDVR2 for 4 years and never had a problem. It seems very odd that the HD would go bad at the same time that this pixellation problem pops up. Is there a connection? (and, yes, I did try 3 different svideo cables).

John
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
AaronFord

You guys are awesome! I just had the same problem with my (3 year old?) Hughes HDVR2. Switching from s-video to composit fixed the problem.

One of the posts I read mentioned something about voltage regulators controlling transponder polarity for each tuner. If this is accurate, then it's conceivable that the voltage regulator is no longer functioning within its ideal operating range 100% of the time and that using the s-video cable changes the circuit current flows just enough to cause the intermittent problems. I know... it's a stretch but it is a plausible theory. It could also mean that I might have a total failure at some point in the future-I'll have to wait and see.

(FYI) Here's what was happening with mine. When viewing channels on one tuner, the images on some channels were intermittently garbled/pixelated (it's been getting worse over the last few weeks). It only happened on every 3rd or 4th channel. After using the TV Line button on the remote to switch to the other tuner, I could browse through channels with no problems. This indicates that it's probably not a hard drive issue.

I went through all the Satellite Signal Strength tests and found intermittent signals (ie. fluctuating from 0 to 85-90) on some of the Transponders for Sat Input 2.
Sat 101 (A): Transponders 24, 25, 28 were intermittent (18 & 26 had zero signal)
Sat 119 (B): Transponders 25, 26 were intermittent (25 had zero signal)
Sat 110 (C) - all ok

After removing the s-video cable and switching to a composite cable, the fluctuating signals were all stable at 85-95% (the Transponders with zero signal were unchanged).

Diagnostic Tip: Someone told me to go into the Signal Strength screen and find one of the transponders with fluctuating signals. While keeping that screen on the TV, swap the cables for satellite input 1 and satellite input 2. In my case, the fluctuating signal stayed on Satellite input 2. This indicated it was an issue with the Tuner, not with the dish, LNBs or wiring.
AaronFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
JimSpence
Just hangin'

For future reference, those TPs that had 0 are spot beams.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
spudly
Isles&Fin Fan

Transponder Issue - Not keeping the good ones!

I am having a really odd problem that I can't figure out that is relative to this discussion.

I had a DSR6000 in my living room for 5 years and an it's twin Hughes model in my bedroom for 5 years. Anyway I had a hard drive problem with the Hughes and retired it as got a warranty replacement R10. But I moved the DSR6000 into the bedroom were the Hughes was and put the newer R10 in the living room. For the first few weeks everything was fine.

Now here is my problem: The DSR6000 (which had worked fine for 5 years) which is now in the identicle location as the Hughes (also worked fine for 5 years) is having problem. After a few miniutes of watching it looses the signal from one of the tuners and I get the annoying message. I go to the satellite setup an my even transponders have zero signal. I an change to an odd transponder and get the high signal. But even after I "save" this signal it reverts back to an even one and I get back to the same loop. Why does it like the even ones so much?
If I change the cables in the back the satellite it looses changes, so I don't think it is the tuner themselves. Any ideas? Any reason why it can't keep a 'good' transponder?

Thanks!
Glenn
spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #22
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You can't change the TP that is used as all of them are used. Each channel is assigned to a TP and the receiver tunes the appropriate one for the channel selected. In your case it's an even TP that is needed. Since you are losing all even TPs this means that the 18v switching signal to the LNBs is getting reduced. You have a cabling or connection problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
quoc

My friend gave up then gave me his HDVR2 because of this exact problem. Found this thread when I was looking into the problem.

The problem with this unit is if any 2 (out of the 3) outputs are being used. Any combination of the 1 S-video and 2 composite would cause tuner #2 to go out. Yes, even when using both composite outputs! So my money is on a power supply problem.
quoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #24
manolodf

I have the HR10-250 unit and I have tuner 2 problems. Its hooked up via the HDMI to the TV and it happens in waves, it used to do it in the past, then it has gotten alot worse recently. In the past a simple reset would have it be fine for months, now it wont go away. If you are watching tuner 1 you see constant appearance of No signal on turner 2 warning error. If you are watching or see a recording form tuner 2 you just get choppy programming.
manolodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
John T Smith

First, read this entire message thread and try what is suggested about switching output cables

Second, try the specialized HR10-250 Forum
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
John T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #26
roamerr

Svideo cable removal just worked for me. I have 3 HDVR2's but one of them started pixelizing bad on some channels. I tried the lines to the tivo but the lines were fine. Removed the svideo cable and replaced it with a composite and its back to perfect.

Odd fix but it worked!!
roamerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #27
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

There are some who beleive the S Video problem is a design flaw. It seems to be that using the S Video can cause some problems with Tuner 2.
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
dmcsween

Request for S-Video / Bad Tuner wrap up

I'm reading with great interest the thread about the S video cable causing problems. Sadly, the switch to component did not solve mine. I have the same symptoms, certain channels pixelate in sporadic waves. 501, for example, is pretty much unwatchable. I'm thinking bad tuner, and am looking for a philips DSR7000 logic board. Meanwhile, I have a second directivo box, a hughes, which functions normally.

So then, to the point, will any of you please describe a procedure using my two satellite feeds, and my two directivo units (one good, one sketchy) that will diagnose this as a line/connector/dish problem or bad tuner, oscillation overthruster intersteller overdrive insert-name-of-electronic-component-I-don't understand here problem. Transponder polarity? Tuner one, tuner two. Even channels, odd chanels? Help me Mr. Wizard.

Remind me again who it was that I snowed to give me a job in IT?

yr hmbl svt

Dan
dmcsween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #29
JimSpence
Just hangin'

From your description, you have a dual output round dish with an external 2x4 multiswitch in order to provide four outputs to two DVRs. Also, you changed from s-video to "composite" connections, not "component".

Troubleshooting tips.
1) swap inputs on back of problem unit to see what happens.
2) bypass multiswitch and connect the unit directly to the dish.
3) use various combination of outputs from multiswitch.
4) try the RF output to the TV.

For info on how this stuff works, check this thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ad.php?t=55509
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #30
Beer Geek

Question

I've been reading this forum for years, but this is my first post, FWIW.

I have a HDVR2 that started pixellating on Tuner 2 almost a year ago. Dropping the S-video only worked until late last year. The problem resurfaced, and I've just been living with it.

Was wondering if anyone had come up with more on the problem. My plan is to get an Ebay'd HDVR2 up and running (maybe hacked, if I can figure that out) and ditch the other unit.
Beer Geek is offline   Reply With Quote