TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV Receiver with TiVo
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #121
daperlman
check the rhime

for all of those that are posting, emailing and calling - thanks cause I think this will demonstrate that there is a real problem that is effecting a lot of customers.

Not directed at anyone in particular - but please keep in mind that Direct TV reps are just answering the email/ phone etc... they are probably not interested in hearing threats of leaving - or how much better we think TiVo is etc. After all we do have a very legitimate complaint about this specific issue and we need their team to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #122
Athenian

This happened to me last summer with a program and I was never able to get anyone at DirecTV to even acknowledge that it was possible. It happened again last week with "The Closer". I'm trying to catch all of last year's episodes and it really made me mad when I looked at Now Playing and didn't see the new episode.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #123
Sartori

Still having trouble here also. Powered it down and restarted and forced a phone call yesterday afternoon. Last night Overhaulin didn't record and theres nothing in my to do list either.....
Old 12-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #124
lew

Add me to the list, if anyone from DTV is monitoring this thread. I first thought the empty to do list was the result of holiday re-runs. I'll try the forced call and reboot tonight.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #125
dmaneyapanda

i too have been having this problem for weeks now. rebooting sometimes fixes it (when the index rebuilds), but the problem has re-occured several times for me.

i tried posting on the DTV forums, but they are also having technical problems and i can't log in/register.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #126
dishrich

Count me in here as well.
It's very wierd, it's sporadically missing episodes of Jude Judy on ch 2 Chicago. Have a SP to record ALL episodes & this is what's happening:
Monday, got both
Tuesday, MISSED both
For today, in to do, it is getting the rerun, but NOT the new episode
For Thursday, in to do, it is getting the first run, but NOT the rerun
For Friday, it is only getting one or the other (can't remember which)

I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with D* trying to get their act together on their "in-house DVR's", as far as doing "series recordings" properly, as people over on other boards keep complaining about this. (I'm assuming both the D-Tivo's & D*'s DVR+ work off the same extended guide data) Of course now, it appears people with BOTH types of DVR's are suffering now.

You know, I am REALLY sick of the BS with D* - they have taken a perfectly working DVR, (at least from a getting your requested shows recorded correctly standpoint) & have now even screwed THAT part of it up now. Thankfully I've got cable & another locals market from E* for backup!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #127
jca
Designer

Arrow Mid season

Maybe DirecTV will notice this problem when people starting missing a recording of the season premiere of 24... or American Idol... or...? Can you imagine what the fallout of something like that would be when the new season(s) start back next month?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #128
dtvtivouser_9292
cfc62

I had a MANUAL repeating recording "go away" just yesterday.

In addition, I've had a problem since the fall where autorecording wishlists aren't working if the the wishlist matches more than one channel (for example, a sports event carriered on multiple channels at the same time).

It will actually say there are no upcoming episodes coming up. I've had to change the setting to "All - with duplicates" to get it to function properly. Of course, then I get a boatload of dupes...

This did not happen last year - it worked as you would think it would. That is, it would take one of the matches and record it and ignore the rest.

In short, my DirecTV service has become a lot less useful and fun now. I'm not going to blame Tivo in any way on this one.

You listening DirecTV? That Series 3 and Comcast isn't looking too bad right now!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #129
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
This thing must be down - anyone else able to get to this thread? Or to the main page of the forum? http://forums.directv.com gives an error message:

Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 404 - /pe/index.jsp

type Status report

message /pe/index.jsp

description The requested resource (/pe/index.jsp) is not available.
Maybe the TC crowd overwhelmed the server for the forum!

Last edited by goony : 12-27-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #130
goony

Gee, I feel like I've gone back in time to when I had a Dishplayer 7200 with Dish Network (their first DVR - jointly developed with Microsoft ) - that thing was hyper-sensitive to any change in the format of the guide data and they would throw software updates at it (in an attempt to fix things) which, at times, would be like throwing gasoline to put out a fire.

At least the DTivos are keeping their recorded programs - occasionally, the old Dishplayer would reboot and all of the recordings would be gone.

Last edited by goony : 12-27-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #131
PAP

Very strange - after I forced a call my data had gone back to normal, but tonight I see it's back to screwed up again and I've got the same errors back in my to do list. Once again it's refusing to record Oreilly at 8 oclock - it doesn't show up in the "upcoming episodes" even though if you manually scroll to the time it's right there and if you click on season pass it takes you right to the season pass that doesn't list the 8:00 time as existing.

WTF, this has been going on for over a week and DirecTV is clueless? Can anyone verify for SURE that this is DTV and not TIVO itself? If so, this may be the last straw to get me to drop DTV and go cable with a series3. I've had it with this crap. If they think I'm dropping my Tivo for one of their branded boxes by screwing up my programming listings, their freaking crazy.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #132
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

I think I have a bit more info for those that are interested.

I just had this problem happen again on my series 2 DTiVo.

By coincidence there was a recording from a title WL scheduled to start at about the same time as the indexes or databases that disappear or become corrupted were failing, This particular recording reported an internal error 4 rather than the someone modified the season pass but the remainder of the scheduled recordings from that WL report that they will not record due to someone modified the season pass.

This may give a clue about what is happening.

I think that there are some pieces of corrupt guide data that DTV is sending down the data stream and when the DTiVos actually try to use that data the error happens and this results in the databases/indexes being dumped and the rebuilding processes starting.

Many season passes are still ok bu virtually all WLs and most any attempt to create an actor WL fail until the rebuild process completes.

Also if the DTiVo hits another piece of corrupt data during the process then it starts all over and that would explain the varying time the restore process takes.

While this does not help those of us with the problem it does explain most of the observations.

Also it seams Iwas mistaken about a reboot never helping. If the rebuild process is mostly done it can speed things up as there is a part of the restart process that rebuilds the links without any of the overhead that DTiVos usually encounter at other times.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #133
bleeman

We have 2 R10's and one RCA DVR80. The DVR80 experienced this problem last Friday. One of the 2 R10's is doing it tonight and the other R10 hasn't had a problem yet. Fortunately, most of our shows are on hiatus right now over the holidays so we haven't missed anything we've wanted yet, but we'll be keeping a close on it so we can add in manual recordings as needed until this gets resolved.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 AM   #134
goony

I have been hit with the same problem on my HDVR2 box running V6.2-01-2 software... a Season Pass that had been working fine now has shows in the recording history that won't be recorded due to "Someone modified the Season Pass" - baloney.

I have a total of 4 Tivo-based DVRs on my account and I am now going to have to carefully check each of the other 3 to see what shows are not being going to be recorded, or have failed to record.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #135
mwarner

While I wasn't hit with the non recording season pass, I did notice this morning when I did a wish list search nothing could be found. Rebooted the TiVo and now the wishlist is full again. Also, the service download last night (Thursday at 4:59am) failed.

-Matt
Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #136
rb5505

ours looks like it fixed itself overnight....again. it's the 2nd or 3rd time it's fixed itself only to go back to the problem. hope it sticks this time.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #137
goony

A possible explanation

I just got off of the phone with someone at "Tier 2" support and they gave an explanation that sounds interesting: If you have a season pass that schedules recordings that span the "new year change" (i.e. from 2006 to 2007) then it is possible that the season pass is getting wiped out.

Based on that, this problem would have begun to appear around the 20th of December (assuming 12 days of guide data) as guide data would have then contained shows airing with a 2007 date.

Of course, after 31-Dec-2006 23:59 things will again be normal (assuming that we re-enter the season passes on or after Jan. 1st).

They suggested using 'Manual Record' entries as a workaround until after the 1st.

------------

Could it be that some data field in the guide data doesn't contain the year as part of the data... thus, the season pass sees future shows that are in 2007 as occurring before shows in 2006 and it gets confused?

I think the message "someone changed the season pass" is just the error message that happens to get picked when it gets confused.

I asked the tech why this did not happen last year and they claimed that a year ago DTivos were getting software updates and they aren't anymore. I'm not sure I buy that explanation... I believe that it is more likely that it is a subtle change to the guide data that has caused this.

Does anyone know if the all of the D* DVRs (Tivo-based and non-Tivo based) use a single set of guide data? Maybe something was changed in the data to accomodate the R15/HR20s that has inadvertantly messed up the Tivo-based units.

Last edited by goony : 12-28-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #138
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
I just got off of the phone with someone at "Tier 2" support and they gave an explanation that sounds interesting: If you have a season pass that schedules recordings that span the "new year change" (i.e. from 2006 to 2007) then it is possible that the season pass is getting wiped out.

Based on that, this problem would have begun to appear around the 20th of December (assuming 12 days of guide data) as guide data that included shows airing with a 2007 date.

Of course, after 31-Dec-2006 23:59 things will again be normal (assuming that we re-enter the season passes on or after Jan. 1st).

They suggested using 'Manual Record' entries as a workaround until after the 1st.

------------

Could it be that some data field in the guide data doesn't contain the year as part of the data... thus, the season pass sees future shows that are in 2007 as occurring before shows in 2006 and it gets confused?

I think the message "someone changed the season pass" is just the error message that happens to get picked when it gets confused.

I asked the tech why this did not happen last year and they claimed that a year ago DTivos were getting software updates and they aren't anymore. I'm not sure I buy that explanation... I believe that it is more likely that it is a subtle change to the guide data that has caused this.

Does anyone know if the all of the D* DVRs (Tivo-based and non-Tivo based) use a single set of guide data? Maybe something was changed in the data to accomodate the R15/HR20s that has inadvertantly messed up the Tivo-based units.
Interesting, that seems like something they could fix easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #139
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperlman
Interesting, that seems like something they could fix easily.
Yes, the certainly could but they're probably not bothering due to:

1) The Tivo platform is "mature" (industry speak: we're not going to waste money on any fixes unless it is a dire problem)

2) The problem will go away on Jan. 1st

If the info in my above post is basically correct, the problem will happen again in Dec. 2007 to the DTivo units.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #140
goony

I see this original topic being posted on the 18th... that would suggest 14 days of guide data instead of 12 (if indeed the issue is the year of the program in the guide).
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 PM   #141
samo

Quote:
Does anyone know if the all of the D* DVRs (Tivo-based and non-Tivo based) use a single set of guide data? Maybe something was changed in the data to accomodate the R15/HR20s that has inadvertantly messed up the Tivo-based units ........
I see this original topic being posted on the 18th... that would suggest 14 days of guide data instead of 12 (if indeed the issue is the year of the program in the guide).
Very possible that data stream was modified. My R-15 received an update that should fix series links (season pass like feature) at about same time as problems started on DirecTivos. Considering that R-15 works just fine, I wouldn't exclude a possibility that guide data stream was modified to accommodate R-15 update.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #142
newsposter
Poster of News

seems like most of my SP are picking up now. As long as they things show up bad in the future NP history, i guess i'll be searching that for conflicts or non recordings.

my original thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4700859

edit...here my wife found a show was supposed to record at 7 tonight but didnt. And i the Todo list it was listed as supposed to be , but then afterward, said modified SP

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
Old 12-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #143
SpankyInChicago

Quote:

Based on that, this problem would have begun to appear around the 20th of December (assuming 12 days of guide data) as guide data would have then contained shows airing with a 2007 date.

------------

Impossible.

I first experienced and described these problems here back on November 9th. Others also described them at that time and at times after up until the last week or so. Certainly the number of complaints has grown quite a bit in the last week or so, but it has been around since 6.3a came out.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #144
waynenm

Same thing here on a Series 2 HDVR2 which has been perfect for a very long time. Restarted and forced data download twice. All seems to be returning to normal, slowly.
Over on DBS Talk the notion that Liberty Media's purchase of D* may restart the Tivo -
DirecTV relationship is starting to crop up. For now - the reality is that D* wants you to buy their 5-LNB dish, and receive their MPEG-4 HD programming, coming soon, using *their* hardware, the HR-20. Tivo based HR10-250s won't receive the new DirecTV channels. I've bought in, and it's nowhere near as stable as the Tivo platform in SD or HD. But, when it works, it looks great, and records great. For the time being, DirecTV would be foolish to do anything other than promote their own branded product, no matter who their majority stockholder is. My message to current, fellow Tivo subscribers is: get ready, because one day soon, DirecTV's not going to support you at all. I chose to upgrade, and keep the Tivo. So far, having both has made the transition pretty easy.

\//
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #145
Sartori

Sounds great, send me, oh lets see, about 3 grand for the upgrade. Sorry but I don't have a high def tv, yeah that should cover it....
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #146
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

my Wish Lists are still not showing up. everything else I record is in my To Do List though.
Motorola DCT-3416 Comcast HD DVR
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #147
mahyde

I called last night regarding this problem with my R10 before checking this forum. The tech said that the R10's will not get software updates anymore and wanted to sell me the R15 for $20.00 and a two year commitment to DirTv. I said no and then checked this forum.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #148
mahyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahyde
I called last night regarding this problem with my R10 before checking this forum. The tech said that the R10's will not get software updates anymore and wanted to sell me the R15 for $20.00 and a two year commitment to DirTv. I said no and then checked this forum.
Correction.......R10's CANNOT receive software updates so says the "tech"!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #149
MacQ2

Probably not related to year change

As someone else has commented, the change of year probably has nothing to do with this problem. I can add further evidence ... We have several D*Tivos but one is rarely used and in fact has only one season pass. It records a news show every Sunday. That Tivo has the correct "To Do" program scheduled in 2006 and 2007 and was not affected by this problem - it's Search list is complete. Our other two Tivos were affected - they have a variety of season passes and none of the passes are the same between those two.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #150
twosox

Thumbs down Problem on one but not the other of my DTivos

I'm having similar problems here in Northern VA. When I noticed last night that NBC Nightly News had not recorded, I checked the ToDo list and the Recording History indicated that "someone in the household..." message.

I have two DirecTiVos -- the one downstairs has upcoming showings listed in the program guide for NBC Nightly News, but the one upstairs does not. Not sure why one of the boxes would have the program data, while the other is clearly missing data. I have rebooted both machines -- hopefully, the upstairs box will get caught up.

Both of my boxes have been upgraded with larger hard drives and have network access, so I can't blame my tinkering with them. Is there a way to force the program data update?