TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #1531
dbong1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbong1021
Sure, I'm at work but will PM you the info once I get home.

I called the 1800COMCAST # to start the whole process.
jonman, I sent you a PM. Hopefully it helps.

If you can't find his name, I can try calling myself and asking who it was by name rather than technician #. I'm at work though but let me know either way
dbong1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #1532
diggerphelups

Comcast Cablevision NJ

Just ordered mine. tech has to come out to install, but according to the sales person no install charge and no fee for the cable cards. Hopefully that holds true when i get the bill...He said no cable companies in NJ should be charging for this. Not sure if that is law in NJ or something or what made him say that...anyway, definately call your LOCAL office. I first inquired with 1800comcast and they of course were going to charge a fee.

I still have my set-top for on demand, so I'm not sure if this is required for no fee, but regardless I'm pleasantly suprised at no fee or install or cards.

Of course there is still always the install to be done...

Great thread.
diggerphelups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #1533
lorlof

Comcast Schaumburg

I had my install yesterday with comcast. It went surprisingly well. The tech brought 3 cablecards with him. Good thing since 1 was bad. Other than that it was relatively simple, even though he admitted to me it was his first cablecard install. Took 40 minutes. Had to pay an install fee, but no fees for the cablecards.
lorlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #1534
kbtivo

Comcast - Vancouver, WA

New S3 received on Monday - updated SW on Monday 8.01c - Comcast Digital Plus & HD packages

Comcast Tech showed up today. Appears the sales/ordering group needs a bit of help/work. The work order said nothing about Cablecards and mentioned adding several outlets.

Tech went back to shop to pick up cablecards and returned about 1 hour later. I had to step away for a while but returned to checkout how the install was going.

Tech had connected the cable feed to the antenna input and disconnected my OTA antenna. Straightened this out. The tech had delays getting the folks back at Comcast to program the system/cards correctly - took 2 rounds of calls to get things sorted out. The 1st round did not get the Digital Plus channels, etc. He commented that some of their folks do it right and others seem to need more training.

Was up and running after ~ 2 hours. I asked the tech which mfgrs' cards he was installing. Turns out they are Motorola - he said he won't even try the SA cards anymore - too many problems.

I'm up and running and very happy.
kbtivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #1535
bandit1170

S3 CableCard install

I have premium channels, not sure what other encrypted channels would be and I have neither of the "good signs" for the CableCards, this is what I see on both cards.

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: no
Auth: unknown
CA enable: unknown (or "not possible" after a signal hit)

And I'm getting HBOHD on both tuners, so I'm not sure what needs to be done, if anything. I have a tech coming on Saturday nonetheless. Is the below all I'm looking for?

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
CA enable: possible

One tech I talked to on the phone said that the pairing of the cards would be complete and successful one the Host ID at the bottom of the Conditional Access screen said something other than Unknown 00.

Can somebody that has a "successful" install tell us what they are seeing on the the CableCard setup screens so when the tech comes I can make sure that's what I'm getting before they leave?

Thanks for the help.

db
bandit1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #1536
Tankman

Comcast in Sacramento

I received my S3 the other day and had a day off to start trying to figure out install. I called Comcast and when I tried to tell them I needed a second card installed for my TiVo cable box, the guy tells me that I need to contact TiVo. So I tried the online chat and they told me to go to a local office to pick up a card. I go there and find that they don't have any cards and just take payments and returned equipment.

Finally I decide to call back and not mention TiVo at all. I tell them I need someone to come out and install a cable card in a third party cable box and all was clear. No charge for the card and $13.99 for the trip to install. No mention of extra monthly fees at all. Sounds good so far.
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #1537
njplasticman

Comcast- Union County, NJ- successful install!

With much trepidation, had the install this afternoon. Two Comcast vans showed up. One guy had experience with Tivo installation; the other tried installing one but said it was unsuccessful. They only brought 2 cable cards- both Motorola.

The experienced guy didn't need the printed instructions and knew his way around the Tivo; it appeared that the other guys was "in training" for Tivo installation (it appears they are working on this which is a plus).

Initially had problems with not getting channel 2 and the 100s channels. In speaking with the Comcast guy on the cell phone, apparently they had this issue with an install this AM. Spent a few minutes on it and... wha-la! Everything was working with both cards after 30 minutes.

The "experienced" guy said that the problems are sometimes the Tivo, sometimes the CC, but it really helps to get a person on the other line who knows what they are doing. It just so happened that the guy on the other line was the same guy who helped out this AM (I think his name was "steve") and he knew what to do on the other end.

Now expecting my HDTV tomorrow and i'm all set!!!!!
njplasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #1538
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1170
Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: no
Auth: unknown
CA enable: unknown (or "not possible" after a signal hit)

And I'm getting HBOHD on both tuners, so I'm not sure what needs to be done, if anything. I have a tech coming on Saturday nonetheless. Is the below all I'm looking for?

Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: SUBSCRIBED
CA enable: possible
I can't help with successful but the Auth: unknown and CA Enable/EnabledByCP like you listed is what my failed one did today. I did the install myself and was about 2 hours working with Comcast tech by phone. He was very nice but had only done 3 CC installs (one was a 6 card activation at a Microsoft testers home and the other 2 were S3's). We tried everything but the signals never got the 2 cards to pair in either slot. We did just happen to lose our local cable/internet just after this so it's possible the signals were blocked locally.

I know the install steps well at least but instead of getting 2 new cards and trying the phone install, I'm having them come out and let them spend the time.

I also checked the IP and upstream/downstream which were all 0 so we knew they weren't set and of course no channels ever came through.

Both cards are Motorola so I was surprised that both cards might be bad. The Tivo worked well without them and saw the cards when installed so hoping it's not the unit. At least I got it at Costco so can return easy and get a new unit.

It would be nice to have info on the different CC information screens if anyone knows what it means. It may not be that helpful but would be interesting.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 AM   #1539
murryamorris

Well, I found out that with Comcast support there are very good and very bad techs. I decided to try at 2AM (maybe not the best idea) to get my 2 cards working. It turns out when I called Thursday, their DB went down and they got it back up and on Comcast side, my cards were listed as paired and working but they didn't. I didn't know at the time but right at the end of the call, our cable went out again (wind storm damage from the Seattle storm last week).

It seems the signals they sent said they went through but never made it to my CC's. So we had a dual issue.

As far as the 2nd rep this AM, she was a total idiot. First she told me I didn't need to call Comcast that the "TV" would configure the cards and it would then work. I said, no, I spent hours on the phone just yesterday with a tech who was getting them in the system and hitting them with signals to get them working. Hey, but she's worked there 8 years and never heard of a cablecard having to be setup by Comcast! Finally she looked in the DB and said, "oh, it lists they are working so they must be". Uh, no again. I explained the cable went out and they signals they sent cleared on their side but never reached my Tivo. Finally she figured out how to resend a signal and bam, they start working. I did get an error code when the S3 received the signal but all channels now come in fine.

I can finally cancel my tech install. I guess it's just a matter of getting someone who actually knows cablecards (and Tivo knowledge seems to help a lot).

Keep trying, you'll eventually get someone who knows how to do this. If you're local to Seattle, they are still having major problems with their lines so this might be part of the problem here.

The HD and even SD stations look great on the S3 compared to my S2 hooked up to the same TV. I think it's time to convert the lifetime over.

BTW, none of my status screens on the CC slots changed at all. Maybe this will change after they've been working for a while.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #1540
CharlesH

I have Comcast in the south San Francisco Bay area, and two Comcast service representatives have insisted that the $5/mo "High Definition TV" charge is a programming charge to get the HD channels, not a rental fee for the HD set-top box (that I don't have). Am I getting fed a line? Others in this thread have insisted that they just pay the $1.50/mo second-Cablecard fee on top of whatever programming lineup they have chosen, and they get the HD channels just fine on their Series3.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #1541
weetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
I have Comcast in the south San Francisco Bay area, and two Comcast service representatives have insisted that the $5/mo "High Definition TV" charge is a programming charge to get the HD channels, not a rental fee for the HD set-top box (that I don't have). Am I getting fed a line? Others in this thread have insisted that they just pay the $1.50/mo second-Cablecard fee on top of whatever programming lineup they have chosen, and they get the HD channels just fine on their Series3.
Ask to speak with a supervisor in your local Comcast office. I too was told this by the CSRs but the supervisor confirmed that the $5/mo HD charge is equipment related. I returned my STB when they installed my 2 cable cards. The only additional charge is $1.50 for the 2nd cable card (1st is included with the digital package).

He credited back the charges for the previous month and I have not been billed for it since.

BTW, I live in the San Francisco Peninsula area.
weetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #1542
bobharp

Does anyone know what Comcast offers when they miss an appointment time?
TiVo Series3
TiVo Series4
bobharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #1543
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharp
Does anyone know what Comcast offers when they miss an appointment time?
A pathetic $20. It took me multiple phone calls to even get that. They keep saying its gone through, and then never appears.

You could sue in small claims court in California, if you incurred any actual damage because of the missed apointment.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #1544
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
The price list for Jan 2005 and Jan 2006 and my older billing statements show the charge as "HDTV Equipment Fee". My latest billing statements now show the charge as "High Definition TV" so apparently something has changed. Sneaky way to charge the $5/mo for cable cards but there are some that don't have to pay. I have HD STB and cablecards so I can't complain.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #1545
QZ1

The 'HD' fee has to be for the STB, at least here it is. Because the HD section of the channel list shows Locals in Basic, Premiums in each respective Premium, and variety HD channels in Digital Classic (and now Encore-HD OnDemand in Digital Plus). So, there is no HD tier, therefore, an HD fee is only for an HD box, which CC users don't need. I have always read that Comcast nationally does not have an HD tier. I think they just want to charge the HD STB fee even for those that get a CC, as others have said.
QZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #1546
Flyin_Taco

Smooth so far

I went to my local Comcast office (Federal Way, WA) to pick up 2 cablecards. They didnt even ask what they were going into. Charge? ZIP, ZERO, NADA! At least so far. My s3 doesnt show up till the 26th so we'll see how easy the install is. As far as Comcast goes, they've been great. Stay tuned!!1

Roamio Pro
2 tuner Premiere
Flyin_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #1547
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Ordered our third Series 3 (the Dell deal, $556 or so shipped), and am dreading the Comcast appointment....oh, wait.

No, I'm not. This one's going to be strictly OTA+analog cable. Yay!
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #1548
murryamorris

Quote:
Yes, they're feeding you a line. The HD is built into the package you have. Most areas charge at least $1.50 for the second cablecard but in my area (at least the Redmond, WA store), they are free for the first 2 cards for the Tivo, then $1.50 for each additional.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #1549
murryamorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin_Taco
I went to my local Comcast office (Federal Way, WA) to pick up 2 cablecards. They didnt even ask what they were going into. Charge? ZIP, ZERO, NADA! At least so far. My s3 doesnt show up till the 26th so we'll see how easy the install is. As far as Comcast goes, they've been great. Stay tuned!!1
You're close to me (Sammamish) and I just installed my CC's. Took a day to get them working but they are now. Had a cable problem and Comcast had a database problem. 2 Techs and one was good and the second was terrible. Hopefully you get someone who knows what they're doing when you call.

No fee for our first 2 cards either. It's probably that way in the entire Seattle area.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #1550

Seattle area minimum fee?

I'm in the Redmond area and currently am subscribing to limited cable ($15/mo). It comes with a bunch of digital channels but only a few are HD, and those are all local channels (komo, king, ...)

Am I supposed to be able to watch those digital channels? Their channel lineup seem to imply that customer cannot receive digital channels unless they have a comcast cable box. But of course anyone with a ATSC tuner TV will see those channels.

If I buy the s3 and request cablecards from comcast, would they tell me to upgrade to some sort of digital package before giving me the cablecards?

To rephrase the question, what is the cheapest cable package you need to have in order to get two cablecards from comcast (for free)?
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #1551
oldskoolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetz
Ask to speak with a supervisor in your local Comcast office. I too was told this by the CSRs but the supervisor confirmed that the $5/mo HD charge is equipment related. I returned my STB when they installed my 2 cable cards. The only additional charge is $1.50 for the 2nd cable card (1st is included with the digital package).

He credited back the charges for the previous month and I have not been billed for it since.

BTW, I live in the San Francisco Peninsula area.
weetz
do you know the cheapest package you can get to enable 2 cablecards and HD service w/ an S3?
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #1552
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie
I'm in the Redmond area and currently am subscribing to limited cable ($15/mo). It comes with a bunch of digital channels but only a few are HD, and those are all local channels (komo, king, ...)

Am I supposed to be able to watch those digital channels? Their channel lineup seem to imply that customer cannot receive digital channels unless they have a comcast cable box. But of course anyone with a ATSC tuner TV will see those channels.

If I buy the s3 and request cablecards from comcast, would they tell me to upgrade to some sort of digital package before giving me the cablecards?

To rephrase the question, what is the cheapest cable package you need to have in order to get two cablecards from comcast (for free)?
Apparently it depends on local policy. Another S3 owner from Santa Rosa CA (keenan) got cablecards with only Limited Basic for $1.50/mo. I am just in the next county and my local office insisted that I have a digital tier and Digital Classic was the cheapest at $9.95/mo. I don't mind paying that since it gives me all the HD channels except for premiums.

So go to your local office and ask as the CSRs on the phone might tell you something different than your local policy.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #1553
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Apparently it depends on local policy. Another S3 owner from Santa Rosa CA (keenan) got cablecards with only Limited Basic for $1.50/mo. I am just in the next county and my local office insisted that I have a digital tier and Digital Classic was the cheapest at $9.95/mo. I don't mind paying that since it gives me all the HD channels except for premiums.

So go to your local office and ask as the CSRs on the phone might tell you something different than your local policy.
My suggestion is to go to the office, and explain in detail exactly what you want. Doing it online, or over the phone just doesn't seem to get the results people are looking for.

I pay $19.39 for Limited Basic(local fees and taxes included) and I'm supposed to be paying $1.50 for the extra CC. I say supposed to as my billing must be screwed up with Comcast as the CCs don't even show on the bill. When I completed the transaction at the office, we went over the whole billing and I should be paying for Limited Basic and $1.50 for the extra card.(why it's not showing up I have no idea-but I'm not going to question it. )

No mention of needing a digital tier to get the CCs or the local HD channels. Any CSR that is saying that is misinformed...imagine that...the local channels are in the clear QAM, so any QAM-capable tuner should be able to receive them.

I have another anomaly with my service in that I get ESPN-HD, Disc-HD and FSNBA-HD, all with just the Limited Basic sub. Disc-HD is in the clear in Santa Rosa, while the rest are not. Additionally, I receive no digital channels that would normally come with Digital Classic(which I don't subscribe to) along with the above mention HD channels. Again, I'm not going to ask questions.

Bottom line, go to the office, explain precisely what you want and if the result is not satisfactory, ask to speak to someone higher up the chain. I got everything I wanted with the front line CSR at the walk-in counter.

Now, some Comcast areas do have different rate/package structures, but within the same market, like the SF bay area, the prices/requirements should all be the same. For example, anyone in the bay area should be able to just Limited Basic and 2 CCs for their LB price(Limited Basic prices are different for different cities in the same market) plus $1.50. If not, that particular office has not had their billing system updated, or the CSR simply doesn't understand. If the S3 is the only cable equipment you have, then there should not be any Additional Digital Outlet charges. Once you add another S3, or a cable company piece of equipment(STB-DVR-CC) you will start getting those outlet fees.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #1554
Mike Malter
Computer Mutt

The $5.00 HD fee is what you have to pay to get high defination channels. It is not a line. It cost me $15.00 for the cable guy to come out to my house with the cable cards and to pickup my old digital set top box. Other than that, there were no extra charges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike Malter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #1555
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Malter
The $5.00 HD fee is what you have to pay to get high defination channels. It is not a line. It cost me $15.00 for the cable guy to come out to my house with the cable cards and to pickup my old digital set top box. Other than that, there were no extra charges.
That may be true in San Rafael, but in Santa Rosa there is no such thing as a $5.00 HD fee.

There's a $5.00 HD-STB fee if you use Comcast's 5100/6200 STB, but it's listed as Equipment Rental.

Are you saying you're paying an additional $5.00 above and beyond your CC and programming package charges?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #1556
c3
TiVoholic

I'm not paying the $5 "HD fee" in Mountain View.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #1557
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie

Will they say that you have to have a minimum level package? They will certainly try. But you can have basic or lifeline service and have cable cards. In that case, they should be $1.50 each. You only get one free if you have a digital package. I'm not aware of any package where both are free.

Play CSR roulette until you get someone to help.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #1558
cptodd
Just Me!

I pay the $5 fee but mine is not a rental fee. It is the cost for the extra services provided by the second card. FOr them it is like me having a second cable box.
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #1559
lentiman
Ocassional User

S3 Rocks!

So I picked up 3 cable cards from the Auburn, WA store last saturday. Zero problems, zero charge. My S3 arrived on Thursday (costco) and I installed 2 cards into the S3, zero problems. I installed the 3rd card into my Pioneer, some slight problems but got it working. I now have TNT-HD, ESPN-HD and more that I wasn't receiving before on my QAM tuner. The cable cards ROCK!! AFAIK I'm not being charged the $5 a month on the extra HD channels, which is great.

Now I just need 1TB hard drives to come out and be affordable!! I sold my 364 hour S2 TiVo yesterday.

Question: what are you guys paying? I was on the $6.95 a month plan and can't get to it directly. I don't want to lock in $19.99 a month for a year or any of the other plans. Do I have options?
lentiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:08 AM   #1560
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Malter
Mike, it is not clear if you mean that there were no extra charges besides the $15 truck roll or besides the $5 HD fee. It makes a big difference in the meaning of your post. In any, case your first sentence is incorrect as it stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptodd
I pay the $5 fee but mine is not a rental fee. It is the cost for the extra services provided by the second card. For them it is like me having a second cable box.
It is pretty common knowlege from the many posts in this thread and the public statements from Comcast that unless one has a Comcast HD set top box there is no $5 HD fee for users of the S3, only a $1.50 charge for the use of the 2nd cable card. The comments above (emphasis added) are simply incorrect and not credible. They may very well be based on misinformation received from a Comcast CSR in which case we can sympathize with you. Or they may be rationalizations for being over-charged, in which case we can't. In any case, the statements are incongruent with reality.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote