Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #61
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedbill
[snip...]

BTW, I was never able to find any HD over the QAM in the clear channels. Has anyone else in Orlando with BHN found any HD?
I have BHN. S3 only 'found' about 8 clear QAM channels - none HD. The QAM tuner in my Sony KDS-60A2000 found over 3 dozen clear QAM channels on same cable, but none of the HD channels were apparently in the clear. How many clear QAM did your S3 find? I'm puzzled why there is such a big disparity in number of clear QAM found by S3 vs. Sony TV.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #62
tedbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo
I have BHN. S3 only 'found' about 8 clear QAM channels - none HD. The QAM tuner in my Sony KDS-60A2000 found over 3 dozen clear QAM channels on same cable, but none of the HD channels were apparently in the clear. How many clear QAM did your S3 find? I'm puzzled why there is such a big disparity in number of clear QAM found by S3 vs. Sony TV.
I have no idea why the difference between Sony and TiVo. I can tell you that neither my TiVo nor my MITS TV did a very good job at finding the in-the-clear channels. In the end I did find 19 but no HD. Most were the usual channels that you would expect.

Interestingly one of the channels in the clear is the movie channel Starz! I checked my cable box and it is definitely a subscription only channel. I'm sure when they figure out that they are offering it free to anyone with a tuner someone's head will roll!
tedbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #63
tedbill

Got my Cablecards from Brighthouse today. Two installers showed up, although only one really seemed to know what he was doing, maybe the other guy was in training. Neither had seen a TiVo before so they had to study the directions and the box before they continued. First card went in OK, but it took quite a while to get it working. Second card was a dud so they had to replace it with a third card. Finally got both up and running with all the HD channels up and running! All told the process took about an hour.

So far everything is up and running. I am so happy to have my 30 second skip back, no more of that SA8300 nonsense!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #64
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
My install is scheduled for Saturday morning.
Some of these threads had me worried, but my CableCards are in and the whole process took about 15 minutes. Half of that was the Knight Enterprises guy waiting on hold with BHN to activate the cards.

I got worried at first because the guy didn't even look at the installer sheet I had on top of the unit, he just slipped the first card into the top slot! Luckily that didn't seem to affect anything. We did the instructions a little weird, putting in both cards and then calling to initialize both at the same time.

I'm re-running GS now ... sweet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #65
IzzyB68

Anything I should know?

So my Tivo will be here on the 14th and I have scheduled for the CableCard install on the 15th. I live in Orlando, FL and have Brighthouse. I had no issues getting the cards, in fact right away they knew what I was talking about and ordered two cards. Is there anything I should know about the install from people that have had Brighthouse come out in the Orlando area? Were there issues you had? Etc.

Thanks!
IzzyB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #66
windracer
joined the 10k club

Grrr ... just found this on the bottom of this month's bill:

Quote:
BRIGHT HOUSE NETWORKS ANNOUNCES THE FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENTS TO RATES EFFECTIVE JANUARY 2007: MONTHLY EQUIPMENT CHARGES - CABLE CARD $3.95 (+$1.00); STANDARD BOX $.39 (-$.06); STANDARD REMOTE $.29 (-$.01) ONE-TIME INSTALLATION CHARGES - PREWIRED INSTALL $35.95 (+$1.00); ADDITIONAL OUTLET AT INSTALL $34.95 (+$5.00)/SEPARATE TRIP $44.95 (+$10.00); HOURLY SERVICE CHARGE $50.00 (+$2.52); A/B SWITCH/VCR/AMPLIFIER INSTALL $29.95 (+2.95); CHANGE IN SERVICE $11.95 (+$.45); RELOCATE OUTLET $35.95 (+$1.00).

|
Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #67
Duke

Smile

I had no cablecard install difficulty with Brighthouse in Saint Petersburg, FL. Two installers arrived, and had done only one other Tivo Series3 and were a bit "iffy" about the procedure. I found out later that the owner did most of the install work.

The secret of success for me was to get them to follow the Tivo install directions exactly, and not just willy-nilly start plugging in the cablecards. They did each slot individually, calling in to have it provisioned, then moving on to the other slot. The whole thing took about 15 mintues.

Duke
Old 12-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #68
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
I had no cablecard install difficulty with Brighthouse in Saint Petersburg, FL. Two installers arrived, and had done only one other Tivo Series3 and were a bit "iffy" about the procedure. I found out later that the owner did most of the install work.
I wonder if that was me.

|
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #69
Duke

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I wonder if that was me.
Nope - turned out to be my friend who lives down the street from me. But your point is well taken - it's best to do your homework before the installers arrive to achieve a more positive outcome.

Duke
Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #70
IzzyB68

The installers left and the Tivo seems to be working fine. I lost some HD channels, but I think that was because the operator turned off the HD package...gonna call them to fix that now.

Update: Called up an within 5 minutes had all the HD channels...all looks good.

Last edited by IzzyB68 : 12-15-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #71
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I'm in Orlando, and had my cable cards installed for 2 days now. Unfortunately, I cannot get any of the extra stuff on Tivo: Digital Music, Digital Premier Pack, and HD pacK. BHN will be here again tomorrow to try and troubleshoot. I CAN get the "usual" HD channels and HD Premium that are not part of the HDK. Something that bothers me is that all the channels I can't get on Tivo/Cable cards, I can get on my settop box. I opted for the settop because I like the On-Demand stuff. Has anybody else had issues with DM/DPP/HDK? Do I need to call Tivo? It just seems that BHN doesn't have the cards associated with my account - Any thoughts?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #72
nandopr

I have BHN with HBO, Showtime and the HD Pack. I am in Orlando too. At first, I needed to make several phone calls until someone was able to turn on all my channels properly.

It was something at their end.
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #73
windracer
joined the 10k club

A few days after my CableCARD install, I, too, lost my digital music channels and even my digital channels. I had to call BHN and it turned out they had accidentally removed those features from my account. They flipped a switch, had me reboot the S3, and everything has been fine since (although somehow I still get Cinemax, is that stealing? ).

|
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #74
TomRaz

I am considering purchasing a Tivo Series 3 and going with BHN. So in your opinion to they have their act together and understand how to correctly program cablecards yet or should I wait 6 to 12 months ?

Thanks,
Tom
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #75
IzzyB68

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy
I'm in Orlando, and had my cable cards installed for 2 days now. Unfortunately, I cannot get any of the extra stuff on Tivo: Digital Music, Digital Premier Pack, and HD pacK. BHN will be here again tomorrow to try and troubleshoot. I CAN get the "usual" HD channels and HD Premium that are not part of the HDK. Something that bothers me is that all the channels I can't get on Tivo/Cable cards, I can get on my settop box. I opted for the settop because I like the On-Demand stuff. Has anybody else had issues with DM/DPP/HDK? Do I need to call Tivo? It just seems that BHN doesn't have the cards associated with my account - Any thoughts?
I had this issue when my cards were first installed. I called BH and they fixed it right away for me. The guy on the phone said they had taken the HDK service from me and then he also said a common thing was to not apply that service to the second card. It was a 5 minute phone call and he fixed it before I got off the phone.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #76
IzzyB68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz
I am considering purchasing a Tivo Series 3 and going with BHN. So in your opinion to they have their act together and understand how to correctly program cablecards yet or should I wait 6 to 12 months ?

Thanks,
Tom
I would day BHN has their act together in Orlando. I had a 30 minute visit and then a 5 minute phone call to fix my HD channels and then I have been happy ever since. Doesn't seem like Brighthouse has the issues the other cable companies have.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #77
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Well, the repairman was out today, and the first thing he said was he's never dealt with cable cards before! I explained what the situation was, and he just didn't understand Tivo, or where the cards were, or why I needed anything. After some phone calls conveying the hostid and card numbers, my service was restored!

I felt more confident and comfortable after reading through these forums that it wasn't a hardware issue with the S3. Thanks everybody!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #78
Duke

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz

Thanks,
Tom
I think they are learning. I have two friends here in St. Petersburg that had a pretty rough time initially (they are early adopters). But by the time my install rolled around (last week), the techs at least knew to call their supervisor, who stepped them thru their end of the process. And getting them to take the time to follow the Tivo provided instructions (to the letter) makes a lot of difference as to whether you have a good experience, or a not-so-good experience.

Duke
Old 12-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #79
joelkfla

Angry Bright House CFL - attempt 1

I had no problem scheduling a service call to get 2 cablecards installed. But the tech arrived 1 hour late, and as soon as he came to the door, he said, "I have bad news. I can't install 2 cablecards because I am a subcontractor, and only Bright House techs are allowed to install them." He did not even know what one was; he asked me to explain what they do.

This after I had made a point to call BHN this morning to double check that they had the cablecard installs on the service request, after reading here about techs showing up without the cards! I just can't figure how they could manage to send someone who's not authorized to do the work that was ordered. SNAFU!

I'm already entitled to a $20 credit from BHN for a missed appointment, but I had to speak to a supervisor to insist that I not be charged for the rescheduled call on Friday. Fortunately I have the option to telecommute Wednesdays & Fridays, so I didn't have to miss work for nothing.

We'll see what happens Friday.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #80
IzzyB68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkfla
I had no problem scheduling a service call to get 2 cablecards installed. But the tech arrived 1 hour late, and as soon as he came to the door, he said, "I have bad news. I can't install 2 cablecards because I am a subcontractor, and only Bright House techs are allowed to install them." He did not even know what one was; he asked me to explain what they do.

This after I had made a point to call BHN this morning to double check that they had the cablecard installs on the service request, after reading here about techs showing up without the cards! I just can't figure how they could manage to send someone who's not authorized to do the work that was ordered. SNAFU!

I'm already entitled to a $20 credit from BHN for a missed appointment, but I had to speak to a supervisor to insist that I not be charged for the rescheduled call on Friday. Fortunately I have the option to telecommute Wednesdays & Fridays, so I didn't have to miss work for nothing.

We'll see what happens Friday.
That tech was full of it and it sounds like he was trying to get out of work. Subcontracters installed my cards for me and I have BHN. I live in Orlando.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #81
tedbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyB68
That tech was full of it and it sounds like he was trying to get out of work. Subcontracters installed my cards for me and I have BHN. I live in Orlando.
Ditto here. In fact the tech that came to my house was very helpful. I hope you have better luck on Friday!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #82
StStephen

The new TV arrives Saturday so I called BHN (Lake Mary) today to schedule a cable card install for Tuesday. The person I spoke with was adamant that BHN would not install in a TiVo only in a television. I attempted to educate her but I donít think she was listening. I asked for a supervisor and she assured me that installing to a TiVo was no problem, apologized for the confusion and wished me a Happy New Year. Hopefully the install will go smoothly, keep your fingers crossed.

Steve
StStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #83
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

If the installer gives you any grief, feel free to call in and have one of our representatives explain the requirement to him. Keep in mind this is our busiest time of year and the hold times can be high.

Or you can provide the language that our agents would use:
All major cable companies (MSOs) are required by the FCC's 'Plug-and-Play' order to provide CableCARDs to any customer using any UDCR (Uni-Directional Cable Receiver) device on CableLabs list of certified, verified or self- verified cable products. The TiVo Series3 HD DVR product is on this list.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #84
joelkfla

Well, they did it again! This time 2 techs showed up wearing t-shirts with the name of the subcontractor. Before I even let them in the door, I asked if they had the cablecards. Nope, same answer as Wednesday. One said he had asked his dispatcher about the cable cards on the service order, and his boss said, "Don't worry about them, just go ahead and swap the box."

Of course, I was livid. I sent them away and called up BHN and gave the nice lady a piece of my mind.

This time (unlike Wednesday), the rep who answered the phone was very apologetic and immediately went to consult with a supervisor. After a few minutes on hold, the supervisor came on and said she was trying to find someone to come out today with the cards, and would it be OK if she called me back.

After a few more calls from Brighthouse, I got a team of two "priority" techs at the house, who were eager to chat about all things TiVo. They said they had already done at least 7 S3 installs between them.

Without my asking, they immediately checked my signal strength, and finding it not quite up to snuff, went to work on the distribution point out at the curb, and eventually installed an amp in my attic. It took the tech 2 phone calls to get everything activated on the cards, but he made sure everything digital and HD was coming in on both cards before he left.

I couldn't be happier with these two. They were friendly, proactive, and knew their work. I just wish I hadn't had to go through the 2 wasted service calls before they got to me.

I planned to fight for no installation charge and two late service call credits, but the 2nd supervisor I talked to beat me to the punch; he offered to comp one month's service.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #85
joelkfla

Quote:
Well, the tech was running late on Wednesday, and it was near the end of the day, so I could believe that ... except that the same thing happened today when the techs were a few minutes early and it was just lunchtime. And when I mentioned it to one of the BHN techs who finally showed up later today, he commiserated on it.

Maybe the policy is different in West Orange County, or maybe only some of the subcontractor companies are trained on the cablecards.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #86
IzzyB68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkfla
Well, the tech was running late on Wednesday, and it was near the end of the day, so I could believe that ... except that the same thing happened today when the techs were a few minutes early and it was just lunchtime. And when I mentioned it to one of the BHN techs who finally showed up later today, he commiserated on it.

Maybe the policy is different in West Orange County, or maybe only some of the subcontractor companies are trained on the cablecards.
Yeah I am in Southeast Orlando, so maybe there is diferent companies that service this area. Because the contractors I got had done it before. Well one guy had, so the other guy was being trained on it. The one guy said he did about one a week and that he was teaching this guy how to do it so he knew how to also. But they were both contractors from the same company.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #87
Sauron

Well, Here's my experience so far.

I called on Tuesday to schedule the appoinment (Brighthouse Orlando - Near UCF).
Told the lady I wanted 2 cable cards, she ask for, I said Tivo, she said no problem. Friday is the soonest. Not a problem.

So that part went easy.

Tech got here right @ 10am (The appt was 8-10).
He left about 30 minutes ago (12:30).

Followed all of the instructions on the Tivo Sheet, twice. He called, activated the cards, etc.

I get about 30 QAM channels, but none of the premium (HBO, SHowtime) or HD channels will come in...

He said that the cards he got were the last 2 at the eastern tech office, so he'll be back on Monday with 4 (2 spares) new ones, as they had 7 bad cards earlier this week... If those cards have similiar issue, I'm gonna have him check the signal, although typlically in the past the signal is fine in my neighboorhood (It's only 5 years old).

Mark
Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #88
Sauron

Interesting enough, I just pulled them both out to look at the cards...

The card in slot one has NG written on the bottom in pencil.... I'm betting it's "No Good"....
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #89
IzzyB68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Well, Here's my experience so far.

I called on Tuesday to schedule the appoinment (Brighthouse Orlando - Near UCF).
Told the lady I wanted 2 cable cards, she ask for, I said Tivo, she said no problem. Friday is the soonest. Not a problem.

So that part went easy.

Tech got here right @ 10am (The appt was 8-10).
He left about 30 minutes ago (12:30).

Followed all of the instructions on the Tivo Sheet, twice. He called, activated the cards, etc.

I get about 30 QAM channels, but none of the premium (HBO, SHowtime) or HD channels will come in...

He said that the cards he got were the last 2 at the eastern tech office, so he'll be back on Monday with 4 (2 spares) new ones, as they had 7 bad cards earlier this week... If those cards have similiar issue, I'm gonna have him check the signal, although typlically in the past the signal is fine in my neighboorhood (It's only 5 years old).

Mark
Make sure he calls or you call and verify that BOTH cards have the HD and premium set up on them. I had the issue with the paid HD channels (I don't get premium) where they did not have both cards set to receive the special channels and therefore neither were allowing the service. It sounded like a normal thing since when I talked ot the guy on the phone he said right away he thought he knew what the issue was.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #90
Sauron

Quote:
Make sure he calls or you call and verify that BOTH cards have the HD and premium set up on them. I had the issue with the paid HD channels (I don't get premium) where they did not have both cards set to receive the special channels and therefore neither were allowing the service. It sounded like a normal thing since when I talked ot the guy on the phone he said right away he thought he knew what the issue was.

I'll do that when he's back out. Right now not even all the 'regular' QAM channels come in, so something else is up. He called in for hits 5 times...