TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
Icarus

Thinking about getting the S3 but not for HD ...

I want to get an S3 now so I can transfer my S1 lifetime service to it, so I have to buy one now (before the end of the year). But I'm not going to have an HD set where the box will go now.

I think it's a reasonable strategy, even if I just use it with an SD set for now. I can always upgrade the monitor later, but I won't be able to do a lifetime transfer later. At some point, the disk drives in my old S1 will need to be replaced, so rather than spend money on doing that, I can just buy the S3 now, use it for SD, transfer the lifetime service to it and let the old S1 go after the free year of service runs out.

With the prices on Plasmas plummeting, I suspect I'll eventually stick an HD monitor in my bedroom, but I just really don't want to do the entire upgrade all at once.

Opinions? I assume this will work ok. Current set (Sony analog tube) has standard and component inputs. I think it will do the 480 squeeze thing, but I'll probably just keep it in 4:3 normal mode for now.

Thanks,
David

PS: What are you folks going to do with your old S1s after the free year of service runs out? How much will they be charging for service on it after the free year runs out? Any chance of getting the old $6.95 deal? I doubt it. If the service is cheap enough on it, I guess I'd put it in my daughters room.

Last edited by Icarus : 11-25-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Gregor

The S3 will work fine outputting on either the composite or s-video connections.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the S1 after it's year is up. The series 3 is my 4th Tivo, so I'm not sure what to do. I may retire it and move one of the S2s to my office and use MRV to watch video from the other S2.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
regularguy

I'm inclined to wait on the Series 3 until I make the jump on the HDTV. I fully expect the price of the Series 3 to come down $300 in the next 6 months, and I can switch my paid-up Series 2 to the family room (it's currently in the bedroom - the main viewing area for my wife and me). My main consideration, though, is waiting for the Tivo/Comcast joint effort to pan out, so that I can perhaps rent a DVR that's close to the Series 3, but available for small bucks.

The price of a first-rate Panasonic 42" plasma just broke the magical "1 grand" mark in the Black Friday sales, so I suspect I'll make the jump as soon as Comcast shows its hand.
regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy
I'm inclined to wait on the Series 3 until I make the jump on the HDTV. I fully expect the price of the Series 3 to come down $300 in the next 6 months, and I can switch my paid-up Series 2 to the family room (it's currently in the bedroom - the main viewing area for my wife and me). My main consideration, though, is waiting for the Tivo/Comcast joint effort to pan out, so that I can perhaps rent a DVR that's close to the Series 3, but available for small bucks.

The price of a first-rate Panasonic 42" plasma just broke the magical "1 grand" mark in the Black Friday sales, so I suspect I'll make the jump as soon as Comcast shows its hand.
I don't see anyway that the S3 will come down 300.00 in 6 months. Maybe in a year or two.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
...Not sure what I'm going to do with the S1 after it's year is up...

If the Series 1 is old enough, it might well continue to work as a basic recorder, just without the TiVo bells and whistles.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
philinny

My first post in a couple of years! I was an early adopter of TiVo -- I even won my first Series 1 in the essay contest (anyone remember that?) Lately I've been on a dual tuner DirecTivo.

Anyway -- I'm planning to do exactly the same thing you describe, act now to get the Lifetime transfer, get out of DirecTV and onto TimeWarner with two cablecards, but all still running into my old SD tube TV. (A 10 year old Toshiba!) Then go HD in a few months, as the prices drop. (I have my eye on an LED backlit DLP, but my Living Room needs rearranging and a new sofa, etc. so that choice is not set yet.)

Cheers,
Phil
philinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
FrogGremlin

You'll love the improved picture quality from digital (HD or non-HD) channels, and (depending on your setup) the surround sound.

We have one of our Series 3s sitting next to a Series 1 and a Series 2, from both of which my wife is still watching old recordings (all on a non-HD TV). The Series 3 recordings are MUCH better.

We transferred three grandfathered lifetimes, so our Series 1s are already unsubscribed. (Free transfers don't qualify for the one-year extension.) Once empty, I'll yank out the 160GB drives and use them as backup drives for my computer, restore the original 30GB drives, and see if anyone wants the Series 1s for parts. They'll have no other economic value, since TiVo is now giving away free Series 2s with the purchase of subscriptions.

One Series 1 might be kept. My son is thinking of recording 10 or 15 movies for his children (from DVD, doing manual recordings), and putting the Series 1 in the basement to function like a 15-disc-changer DVD player.
FrogGremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
Deacon West

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
If the Series 1 is old enough, it might well continue to work as a basic recorder, just without the TiVo bells and whistles.
Otherwise, two words, boat (wait for it)...... anchor.
Deacon West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:41 AM   #9
Icarus

Thanks everybody for confirming it isn't a brain dead idea. I ordered it last night.

regularguy: you might be right, and that's the other strategy, I guess.

-David
Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Did you get around to sending in your complaint regarding OTW double charging? What did they say? (Sorry for the OT question. Could you enable PMs via tivocommunity?)

=JT=
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Jiffylush

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
I don't see anyway that the S3 will come down 300.00 in 6 months. Maybe in a year or two.
I got one for 150 off retail in October (no tax or shipping either).

I don't think the msrp is going to drop like that (unless we see competition), but I do think it will be possible to save that kind of cash next year.
Jiffylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Did you get around to sending in your complaint regarding OTW double charging? What did they say? (Sorry for the OT question. Could you enable PMs via tivocommunity?)

=JT=
As you can read in the TW cablecard thread, most of us here in Hawaii end up talking to a guy named Nick when we email OTW. Nick just relays the party line .. basically that's the pricing. It's odd because their pricing is not in line with all the other TW cable companies, but not that surprising because Hawaii has always been somewhat independent. (Were you the one that posted Nicks reply?)

I filled out a form at the FCC web site, and never even got an acknowledgment that they had received my complaint. I hope the rest of us in Hawaii at least fill out that complaint form at the FCC web site. I guess if we want to take it further (and I'm willing to participate in this) we would have to take it to the local PUC.

I got my S3 the other day and connected it just using the analog cable. I just picked up a splitter, so now I have the S3 and the S1 connected in my bedroom. It's very nice. Turn it on and the you see and hear the THX logo.

cablecards will be here on the 11th. I'm going to return the cable box I used to have on this system and another one to try to at least keep my pricing the same. I guess I'm ignoring for now that the HD package would cost me yet another $6.95 per cablecard, and I don't see anything in the S3 that seems to allow different programming packages on each card. (It's possible that it's there and I'm just not seeing it yet, not sure. I think it assumes both cards get the same channels, though I seem to remember reading that the dual tuner S2 could handle channels on one input that didn't exist on the other input.)

The other side of "Nick" .. when I called to order the cablecards, I gave the CSR the S3 model number so she could look it up on their list of supported cable card devices, and she didn't know about it. I told her that Nick said it was supported, and that was good enough for her.

I enabled PMs.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 12-01-2006 at 08:53 PM.