TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #1171
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodshal
There are lots of interpretations of the word. One involves having an exclusive right or priviledge, another relates to there only being a single supplier (regardless of whether it's an enforced monopology). A couple of the entries at http://www.dict.org/ back this up.

However, according to another entry from a law dictionary at dict.org, commercially it mostly relates to being granted an exclusive right by the government or having acquired the means to be the sole supplier of something (implying that you have therefore actively denied the possibility of competition).

Ergo, common English has a looser definition than law, which is often the case generally speaking.

As for Comcast: My Cablecards that were installed back in September still work fine. No issues thus far.

Chris.
Just to be clear, franchise agreements are by law non-exclusive. Any provider can enter the market. A locality can have 1000 franchise agreements if there were 1000 providers that thought they could profit.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #1172
PolarBear20

Just to add to the thread...

I'm on the phone with the 800-COMCAST rep now and, after reading many of the posts, am telling them up front that I have an S3 and need two cable cards for one television. So, here's where I'm at with them... Oh, I'm in Fort Lauderdale

She seems to have had this discussion before...
No charge for either of the Cable Cards...
There is the 5.00 HD fee, which is fine. I asked multiple times and I am only going to be charged one 5.00 fee...
I can't pick them up at the local office...
The delivery fee is 17.99...
They won't be able to make it out to install/deliver them until 11/21...

If my experience turns out differently (or my bill), I'll let evey one know...
PolarBear20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #1173
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodshal
There are lots of interpretations of the word.
The only one that matters in this case is the legal definition, as applied by today's courts. In that context, there is no monopoly. People might not like that to be the case, but that's reality.
bicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #1174
laria
Librocubicularist

Well, yay, even though I was dreading the install after all the horror stories, the first thing the guys said when they got here was, "We're doing Tivos? We love Tivos!" They got here about 4:40, installed the 4 cards, and were out the door by 5:15. I'd say 30 of the entire 35 minutes was waiting on hold or reading off numbers!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #1175
ewilts
Who, me?

Here's my experience - Mounds View, MN (a north suburb of Minneapolis). I purchased the S3 last Thursday evening, phoned TiVo and had my lifetime transferred from my S2. The TiVo support rep knew exactly what I wanted and processed the order quickly. I then called Comcast and was told that Digital Classic would include my local HD stations for an extra $10/month on top of my existing subscription (Cable Ready Standard Service). The first CableCard would be free (it comes with Digital Classic but would not have been free for Cable Ready service) and the 2nd an extra $4.95/month. An install was offered for Saturday afternoon but I was not available so it was scheduled for Sunday morning. Installation would be $15.49 (not bad I think for a truck roll). I thought the service response time for an install was fantastic - I was thinking Monday would have been optimistic.

The Comcast tech showed up with 2 CCs and a set-top box in case I needed one (he said the order wasn't clear and he would rather play it safe). He left the STB in the truck and started the CC install. He'd never seen an S3 before. The first card went in fairly smoothly but we were impatient - things started working as we were watching the various CC menus. I saw only 1 HD station but he said that sometimes that happens and it can take up to 24 hours for all of the stations to appear. The 2nd CC also seemed to go in smoothly and I thanked the tech and he left 45 minutes after he arrived. The next day I realized that I still didn't have all of the HD stations and that CC 2 didn't have the Digital Classic subscription - just Basic 1. I called Comcast on Monday and they sent another "hit" to the cards and I got Digital Classic. Still no local HD stations though. I called Comcast again, they said the account was set up correctly, and they'd roll a tech Wednesday evening (tommorow). After more futzing around on Monday night (and double-checking with another Comcast phone support person to confirm that the HD stations should be there), I went to bed, slightly grumpy.

Tuesday morning I realized my mistake - I have a notch filter in place for channels 75-80 for my AVcast video distribution system. Guess where the darn HD stations are? I removed the filter, and the HD stations appeared. I canceled the service call and I'll figure out what to do about the AVcast later.

Overall, had I not shot myself in the foot with the filter, I would have had full service on one CC on Sunday shortly after the install and after my call on Monday, the 2nd one would have worked. It appears to me that even though Comcast doesn't see many S3s, they're prepared to deal with them and quickly resolve issues. I'm fairly satisfied.

..../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #1176
Str8Dog

How are you guys finding the locations of your local comcast office? Google IT DOES NOTHING!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #1177
Maeglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Dog
How are you guys finding the locations of your local comcast office? Google IT DOES NOTHING!
Calling them typically works.
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #1178
Str8Dog

Nevermind Comcast.com revealed the secret to me. It never fails, look for anything concerning billing and they have no problem giving you a local address. 8)
Old 11-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #1179
Str8Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeglin
Calling them typically works.
When I call they insist of sending a tech, I can do this on my own...
Old 11-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #1180
Maeglin

Quote:
When I call they insist of sending a tech, I can do this on my own...
They insist on sending you a tech to tell you where the nearest office is?

(yes, that's all you really need to ask if that's all you need to know)
Maeglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #1181
tweekerz

$25 MIR for signing up for showtime... plus Comcast is offering $5.95/month for 6 months... making for some damn cheap Showtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi
Question. I currently only subscribe to Digital Plus. If I want to add one of the premium channels (HBO or Cinemax), are they just going to turn on something on their end? Will it affect the CC's? Will I need another initialize and hit? Thanks in advance.

tweekerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #1182
Adams61

Comcast still refusing to support tivo 3

I have had my tivo 3 for almost a month now. After a failed install, my local Comcast office told me that they couldn't supply cable cards for a tivo 3 since their billing system isn't set up to handle them. I have called the tivo office several times, gotten on the line with them and Comcast while Comcast repeated that they wouldn't supply me with cable cards, and still nothing after all this time. I just got off the phone with them for the third time and they say they can't give me a time estimate of how long it will take to resolve but they are working on it. I have called the Executive Assistance for Comcast in Pennsylvania several times too and I'm getting nowhere. I'm very discouraged. Any advice?
Adams61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #1183
PaulRuby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams61
I have had my tivo 3 for almost a month now. After a failed install, my local Comcast office told me that they couldn't supply cable cards for a tivo 3 since their billing system isn't set up to handle them. I have called the tivo office several times, gotten on the line with them and Comcast while Comcast repeated that they wouldn't supply me with cable cards, and still nothing after all this time. I just got off the phone with them for the third time and they say they can't give me a time estimate of how long it will take to resolve but they are working on it. I have called the Executive Assistance for Comcast in Pennsylvania several times too and I'm getting nowhere. I'm very discouraged. Any advice?
Had that happened to me, I would now be a direct TV and DSL customer. There's nothing else they will listen too at this point.
PaulRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #1184
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
The only one that matters in this case is the legal definition, as applied by today's courts. In that context, there is no monopoly. People might not like that to be the case, but that's reality.
The legal definition does not require 100% control. Microsoft was judged in court to have a monopoly, even though Macs and Linux exist.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #1185
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRuby
Had that happened to me, I would now be a direct TV and DSL customer. There's nothing else they will listen too at this point.
Where are you located? I might be able to give you a contact to help you get CCs
Old 11-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #1186
winpitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd
The legal definition does not require 100% control. Microsoft was judged in court to have a monopoly, even though Macs and Linux exist.
Actually I believe they were not. They were found to have engaged in activities which were anti-competitive but were not found to be a monopoly. There is a very big difference. Language concerning "monopoly power" was used (for example in the 1999 civil suit). The last para as I recall summarized, and focused on "anti-competitive" actions.

Ask anyone who is familiar with the electronic discovery area of business law. They'll be quite familiar with the distinction.

Further, there is yet another very large distinction. DBS has a relatively large foothold and is a direct and reasonable competitor in the marketplace completely outside of cable. DBS completely eliminates (at least at the moment) being able to call cable a monopoly.

Last edited by winpitt : 11-14-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #1187
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
Actually I believe they were not. They were found to have engaged in activities which were anti-competitive but were not found to be a monopoly. There is a very big difference. Language concerning "monopoly power" was used (for example in the 1999 civil suit). The last para as I recall summarized, and focused on "anti-competitive" actions.
OK, so they didn't have a monopoly, they had "monopoly power". Big woot.

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Department of Justice
Viewed together, three main facts indicate that Microsoft enjoys monopoly power. First, Microsoft's share of the market for Intel-compatible PC operating systems is extremely large and stable. Second, Microsoft's dominant market share is protected by a high barrier to entry. Third, and largely as a result of that barrier, Microsoft's customers lack a commercially viable alternative to Windows.
In most areas cable companies have a monopoly not on TV service per se, but a monopoly on the type of TV service that does not require external structures (e.g. dish or antenna) added on to the residence. Other companies can't or don't deliver service over the cable wires or phone lines. There is some element of competition between DBS and cable, but the differences make DBS physically impossible or very undesirable for many, which gives the cablecos a cushion to be lazy. It's sort of like one company controlling the market for automatic cars while the others sell stick shift. Cable TV is the "automatic car" equivalent.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:49 PM   #1188
Thos19

Install in Abington, MA

I just made an appointment with Comcast (I used to be Adelphia) for next Wednesday for CC install on my Series 3 which I hope to have Friday..

The CSR quoted the first card being free and the second card being $2.75/mo -- cool.

But she quoted $49.99 for the install of the two cards, citing that the tech has to configure 2 cards -- NOT cool. I gave the spiel about it being one outlet, but she wouldn't budge. She did say she would check with her supervisor to see if it was possible to charge $29.99, as it is one outlet. We'll see I guess.

I've seen in this thread where people in MA have gotten install charges ranging from $12.85 to $30. Never $50. Any advice for me, you guys in MA who got the more reasonable rate?

Thanks in advance,

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #1189
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19
I've seen in this thread where people in MA have gotten install charges ranging from $12.85 to $30. Never $50. Any advice for me, you guys in MA who got the more reasonable rate?
Maybe call back and try a different rep? I wonder if it is because you were Adelphia... I often wonder how well integrated they actually are with the cable companies they take over. I am in NH, but we used to be MediaOne/AT&T Broadband like a lot of MA (heck the callerid from the local office still says AT&T Broadband on it ). The rep told me on the phone that it would be a flat fee of $12.85 and I just checked the recent activity on the billing webpage and that's what it says. This was just yesterday for 2 TiVos (so 4 cards).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #1190
Str8Dog

Olympia, Wa

I looked up my local office via Comcast's website. Walked in, told the lady I just bought a TiVo S3 and needed two cableCards. Her first response was that they are only allowed to give one out per household. I explained it was a Dual Tuner device that required two cards. She spoke with a manager and I walked out 3 mintues later with my two cards.

They did charge me $1.99 for editing my account.... WTFMATE!?!

Anyway now I am just waiting for my box to arrive.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #1191
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
They did charge me $1.99 for editing my account.... WTFMATE!?!
That prevents people from upgrading and downgrading services every single day.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #1192
Bostonlawman2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19
I just made an appointment with Comcast (I used to be Adelphia) for next Wednesday for CC install on my Series 3 which I hope to have Friday..

The CSR quoted the first card being free and the second card being $2.75/mo -- cool.

But she quoted $49.99 for the install of the two cards, citing that the tech has to configure 2 cards -- NOT cool. I gave the spiel about it being one outlet, but she wouldn't budge. She did say she would check with her supervisor to see if it was possible to charge $29.99, as it is one outlet. We'll see I guess.

Thanks in advance,

Thos.
Thos, I'm in Abington as well and have an install scheduled for this Thursday. I set the appt. up before the merge completed for Comcast (last week) and was told there was no charge for the install.

I had a bad feeling about the CSR I spoke with so I stopped into the local office the next day and asked the woman to check the appt. and make sure it was for 2 CC's and on the right day. She said it was all set for the 2 cards and confirmed there was no charge.

Looks like you had to get in on the tail end of Adelphia to get the best deal. I'll update on Thursday night as to the success of the install.
JRB
Bostonlawman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #1193
Adams61

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
Where are you located? I might be able to give you a contact to help you get CCs
I am in Mississippi.
Adams61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 AM   #1194
BarryPCC

Thumbs down What do I need to do BEFORE Comcast delivers my CCs

Hi,

I bought the Series 3 this week and have a Comcast appointment scheduled for Saturday morning between 8-11. I went down to the office last weekend and scheduled the appointment and they seemed to know what I was talking about when I said I needed 2 CCs for a "dual tuner" TV. Didn't want to cause a stir so I did not mention TiVO. My question is, how much prep do I need to do to the S3 before the tech shows up?

I'm hopeful he'll just hand me the cards and that'll be the end of it and I can do the install myself but I have read many stories on here where that didn't happen. I am hoping my TiVo arrives Thursday so I will have 2 days to read the manuals before the install.

I haven't finished viewing everything on my S2 yet so I'm hoping they let me keep the box for a bit so I can move that TiVo over to an auxiliary input on my TV and watch my remaining recordings.

Anyone else in the Richmond, VA area already had experience with the S3 and Comcast? Any advice?

Ready for HD! (No matter how big the headache...)
Old 11-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #1195
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
And cable companeis have been judged to NOT have a monopoly. Very simple. They don't suddenly become a monopoly because you want them to be, because it makes your argument easier. As long as there is both cable service and satellite service, neither is a monopoly for subscription television service.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 AM   #1196
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
In most areas cable companies have a monopoly not on TV service per se, but a monopoly on the type of TV service that does not require external structures (e.g. dish or antenna) added on to the residence.
The Telecommunications Act of 1996 eliminated that as a relevant criterion.

Quote:
There is some element of competition between DBS and cable, but the differences make DBS physically impossible or very undesirable for many
"Tough." That's what the courts have said. You finding something undesireable doesn't eliminate it as an option, so therefore the other supplier doesn't become a monopoly. And "physically impossible" doesn't fly either. There is no town in the country where it is physically impossible to receive satellite service. You can try to distort reality as much as you want, but it won't actually change reality.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 AM   #1197
scottrob
Love new toys

Has anyone with Comcast Dale City Virginia had a successful Series 3 installation? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:44 AM   #1198
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams61
Since the FCC mandates that Comcast support devices certified by CableLabs (and the S3 is certified), inform Comcast that you will be contacting the FCC regarding their behavior. If they don't listen to the threat, contact the FCC.

You could also contact TiVo Customer Support and ask them to contact Comcast on your behalf. I don't know if they will, but if you tell them you'll return the S3 if they don't, they may offer to help.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #1199
bicker
Gruff

Don't say you'll contact the FCC. The FCC regulations clearly state that if you have a dispute, you must work to resolve it through the franchising authority, not the FCC. So say you'll talk to your town franchising authority, if you decide to go down that path, and then follow-through, talking to your town franchising authority.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #1200
Thos19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonlawman2003
Thos, I'm in Abington as well and have an install scheduled for this Thursday. I set the appt. up before the merge completed for Comcast (last week) and was told there was no charge for the install.

I had a bad feeling about the CSR I spoke with so I stopped into the local office the next day and asked the woman to check the appt. and make sure it was for 2 CC's and on the right day. She said it was all set for the 2 cards and confirmed there was no charge.

Looks like you had to get in on the tail end of Adelphia to get the best deal. I'll update on Thursday night as to the success of the install.
JRB
FREE ???? Damn, I guess that's what I get for waiting for Tweeter to get a Series 3 in stock for me (I like buying local in case there is a problem). I could, maybe, live with a $30 charge, but $50???

I thought about asking your name and calling them back and saying "my buddy down the street is getting it free, why can't I?", but I wouldn't want to screw up your deal. Maybe I'll try the corporate number....

Thos.

PS Is the local office you go to the one in Rockland Center?
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote