TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
ChuckyBox
Registered User
 
ChuckyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,663
Stealing TiVo's Thunder

Saw this, thought I'd post it. Looks like something might be announced tomorrow.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...13191809990018
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer
 
gonzotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Outside Phildadelphia
Posts: 2,237
If this isn't some cruel hoax or mistake, then woohoo! I don't know what effect it will have on the company and its earnest desire to make a buck, but as a mere user, those announcements simply rock!
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
jmoak
Beware of Conky!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: florida
Posts: 2,574
woohoo! +1




...but then again, I'll never be one of the cool kids and I have admittedly no interest in staying hip.

Last edited by jmoak : 11-14-2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: tragically unhip
jmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Gai-jin
Registered User
 
Gai-jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Quad City Area, IL, USA
Posts: 7,505
nice
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
HOLD FOR RELEASE 12:01 a.m. EST Tuesday. THIS STORY MAY NOT BE POSTED ONLINE, BROADCAST OR PUBLISHED BEFORE 12:01 a.m. EST.
LOL!


I'll upload the video of me in the hot tub contemplating my new Vista environment for y'all.

Fish me out when I can download Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited by HDTiVo : 11-13-2006 at 09:58 PM.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
ufo4sale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Plainview NY 11803
Posts: 3,276
Wow I thought TiVo cast would be a little project with very little significants, boy was I wrong. I see TiVoStephen has been very busy recently.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
rainwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,076
I saw nothing about movies on demand. So I can't get that excited yet.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Gai-jin
Registered User
 
Gai-jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Quad City Area, IL, USA
Posts: 7,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
I saw nothing about movies on demand. So I can't get that excited yet.
You have to add the optional bittorrent module for that.
Gai-jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
ChuckyBox
Registered User
 
ChuckyBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,663
More:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...mK7OFBbg%3D%3D
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
supasta
Registered User
 
supasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,938
This is all over Engadget, ZatzNotFunny, and the rest of the interweb.

Not to mention the article is old new in the fact that it says:
Meanwhile, Microsoft Corp. said it has partnered with Hollywood studios to soon deliver downloadable movies through its Xbox 360 game console.

Didn't this happen last week?
__________________
TiVo Roamio Pro Lifetime ∙ TiVo Mini Lifetime

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
peteypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 663
Nice find chuckybox. Whad you do troll the aol "hold for release" pages?

I think the Tivo to Tivo thing is cool. I wonder if you'll be able to send a tv program you recorded to a friend.

Like a long distance multi room viewing with a friend.
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
I think the Tivo to Tivo thing is cool. I wonder if you'll be able to send a tv program you recorded to a friend.
You won't be entirely happy with the answer to that one.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
peteypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
You won't be entirely happy with the answer to that one.
yeah, but what if you put a converted .tivo file on onetruemedia?
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:54 PM   #14
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack
 
Stylin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
I think the Tivo to Tivo thing is cool. I wonder if you'll be able to send a tv program you recorded to a friend.
Like a long distance multi room viewing with a friend.
I'm wondering the same thing...I'm impressed/excited by what Tivo is planning to do with TiVocast
__________________
S2 300gb LT 3/14/06
S2 40gb LT 4/2/06
S1 30gb LT 1/29/07
S3 250gb LT 10/15/07
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #15
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
yeah, but what if you put a converted .tivo file on onetruemedia?
I figure optimistically that's the not entirely part.



The second article is more depressing than the first, but only because its narrower in focus.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #16
Jabberer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Posts: 403
Nifty - one step closer to the perfect box I've always wanted. Now, if they'll let me somehow play my DVD collection that's on my network (while retaining the 5.1/DTS and not re-encoding down to video mush), I'd actually plunk down my money for an S3 with this, drop DTV, and go back to cable.

All I really want is a device that does everything .
Jabberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #17
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member
 
TiVoPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Alviso, California
Posts: 2,194
Yep, nifty stuff, there's a lot we can do with the infrastructure we've been working on.

btw, I'm in New York this week on this exact topic.

Pony
__________________
Director of Product Marketing
TiVo Inc.
TiVoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #18
RichB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 494
Under whelmed

Is there anything here for me?

I cannot tell. A first run movie download would be nice.

BTW, Does TiVo want me to buy more S3's?

If so, how about Multi-room viewing

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #19
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,322
TiVo Announces Comprehensive Broadband Video Delivery Approach

TiVo to Provide User Interface that Allows Search & Discovery of Cable, Broadcast and Broadband in a Simple Unified Approach TiVo Announces Partnership with Top Hollywood Talent Agency ICM TiVo Allows Home Movies to Be Sent over the Internet and Shared Directly to other Television Sets TiVo Automatically and Seamlessly Converts Web Video for Display on TV Sets TiVo Expands TiVoCast Service with New Partnerships that Include CBS Interactive, Forbes and Specialized Health Content

NEW YORK and ALVISO, Calif., Nov 14, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO) today unveiled a comprehensive broadband strategy designed to put even more control in the hands of consumers by greatly expanding their television choices, taking the concept that "It's not TV unless it's on the TV" to a whole new level. TiVo continues to innovate and lead the category by empowering consumers to select their own content and bring it from the Internet to their TV, where they can enjoy it from the comfort of their living room.

TiVo released five major announcements which demonstrate how TiVo will allow consumers to get broadband delivered video right to their TV set and include it as part of a simple and easy viewing experience. TiVo, the creator of and leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), is the first and only DVR to offer this kind of access to broadband video on the television set.

"For more than 10 years, people have talked about the TV and Internet coming together," said Tom Rogers, President and CEO of TiVo. "The dramatic expansion of video options is being driven by the amount of video now available via the power of broadband distribution. Not a day goes by without an announcement about some studio, network, programmer, or Internet company providing yet even more video content online. TiVo provides the only approach that brings it all, broadcast, cable, broadband, together into a seamless experience for the viewer. TiVo is the first to provide one holistic viewing experience where you'll be able to find what you want, when you want it, no matter where it comes from. These announcements further underscore 'It's not TiVo unless it's a TiVo.'"

Highlights from TiVo's broadband strategy announcements include the following:

* Unified Search -- TiVo unveiled "unified search," launching next year, whereby consumers can search across broadcast, cable and broadband content sources through an approach that seamlessly integrates all video for easy access, menuing, searching, recording, and viewing. Consumers want content from many different sources and with unified search they won't need to visit multiple devices to view that content - it can all be easily accessed in one place from the TiVo "Now Playing" list.

* ICM - With broadband video choices, the number of TV options available became overwhelming, and celebrity talent became critical "key words" for viewers finding what they want. TiVo and ICM have teamed up to provide TiVo subscribers with TV show and film recommendations personally selected by some of the most well-known Hollywood actors and directors. These celebrity Guru Guides will offer subscribers the ability to have this content automatically recorded on their TiVo boxes. This demonstrates how TiVo continues to weave itself into the true fabric of the media industry, now providing a means by which entertainment talent can establish a direct relationship with TiVo viewers on their TV sets.

* Home Movies Service -- Working in partnership with One True Media, TiVo is offering a breakthrough new service feature which will provide friends and families scattered across the country with an easy way to share their home videos, by sending them directly to the television set. Rather than burning and mailing DVDs, friends and family will now be able to set-up their own private channel to send home videos directly to a TiVo subscriber's TV set.

* Autotranscode -- TiVo subscribers who upgrade to this new PC software will be able to easily browse, transfer, and watch a vast amount of Web video, right on their TV sets, using the Emmy Award-winning TiVo service, even if the content is not originally in a format that televisions can display, by autotranscoding that video through their PCs.

* New TiVoCast Service Programming Partners -- A fresh group of media companies, including CBS Interactive, Forbes and specialized health content, will deliver broadband programming directly to the television through TiVo's revolutionary TiVoCast service. Launched earlier this year, the TiVoCast service delivers broadband video directly to the television sets of TiVo subscribers, turning Web video into television by bringing powerful broadband content previously available only on the PC.

TiVo boxes are now available for free after mail-in rebate and service commitment at leading consumer electronic retailers including Best Buy, Circuit City and Radio Shack. See www.tivo.com for details.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #20
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer
 
gonzotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Outside Phildadelphia
Posts: 2,237
TiVo Press Release now up on tivo.com:
http://tivo.com/cms_static/press_115.html


/edit Or should I say releases?
http://tivo.com/5.3.1.asp
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #21
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,322
Two interesting pieces of info that may not be immediately apparent:

1. This is for BOTH Series2 and Series3 units. (Except transcode/TiVoBack?)
2. Peer-to-peer sharing is $4/mo for the sender.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #22
TerpBE
Go Terps!
 
TerpBE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philly 'burbs
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
* Home Movies Service -- Working in partnership with One True Media, TiVo is offering a breakthrough new service feature which will provide friends and families scattered across the country with an easy way to share their home videos, by sending them directly to the television set. Rather than burning and mailing DVDs, friends and family will now be able to set-up their own private channel to send home videos directly to a TiVo subscriber's TV set.
So how long will it before before some entrepreneur uses this as a subscription porn service?
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #23
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,525
TiVoStephen coyly alluded to this in this post Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen
We have completely rewritten how we handle TiVoCast requests and queues; thanks for noticing the improved speed. (When we announced TiVoCast being featured on TiVo Central Online a few weeks ago, that was the launch date of TiVoCast 2.0.)

__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #24
davezatz
Funkadelic
 
davezatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
So how long will it before before some entrepreneur uses this as a subscription porn service?
I think you're right - it's a business opportunity, porn or otherwise. I wonder if TiVo will place restrictions on the amount of content you can upload for that $4/mo and/or how many subscribers you can have? Do I get to manually approve each subscriber? If so, that would make setting up registration pretty easy.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #25
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 11,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

* Unified Search -- TiVo unveiled "unified search," launching next year, whereby consumers can search across broadcast, cable and broadband content sources through an approach that seamlessly integrates all video for easy access, menuing, searching, recording, and viewing. Consumers want content from many different sources and with unified search they won't need to visit multiple devices to view that content - it can all be easily accessed in one place from the TiVo "Now Playing" list.
Huh? So TiVoCast videos will appear when I search for programs? Like I could type in "rocketboom" in the search and it would direct me to set up a TiVoCast for that vlog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

* ICM - With broadband video choices, the number of TV options available became overwhelming, and celebrity talent became critical "key words" for viewers finding what they want. TiVo and ICM have teamed up to provide TiVo subscribers with TV show and film recommendations personally selected by some of the most well-known Hollywood actors and directors. These celebrity Guru Guides will offer subscribers the ability to have this content automatically recorded on their TiVo boxes. This demonstrates how TiVo continues to weave itself into the true fabric of the media industry, now providing a means by which entertainment talent can establish a direct relationship with TiVo viewers on their TV sets.
Yawn. It's GuruGuides and it's not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

* Home Movies Service -- Working in partnership with One True Media, TiVo is offering a breakthrough new service feature which will provide friends and families scattered across the country with an easy way to share their home videos, by sending them directly to the television set. Rather than burning and mailing DVDs, friends and family will now be able to set-up their own private channel to send home videos directly to a TiVo subscriber's TV set.
That's cool. And a new technology for TiVo. Wonder how they'll make sure only home movies and not regular TV shows are sent. Along with the next announcement, though, someone could share a bittorrent'ed show.

Series3 better be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

* Autotranscode -- TiVo subscribers who upgrade to this new PC software will be able to easily browse, transfer, and watch a vast amount of Web video, right on their TV sets, using the Emmy Award-winning TiVo service, even if the content is not originally in a format that televisions can display, by autotranscoding that video through their PCs.
Already available but a bit manual. So they're charging a new fee to make it easier / automatic. Eh. Oh, and I'm assuming Mac users are SOL. Nice one, TiVo.

Can Series3 do this too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz

* New TiVoCast Service Programming Partners -- A fresh group of media companies, including CBS Interactive, Forbes and specialized health content, will deliver broadband programming directly to the television through TiVo's revolutionary TiVoCast service. Launched earlier this year, the TiVoCast service delivers broadband video directly to the television sets of TiVo subscribers, turning Web video into television by bringing powerful broadband content previously available only on the PC.

Finally - a real use for TiVoCast. Let's hope that CBS actually allows some decent shows to be viewed.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #26
headroll
Let em' Roll
 
headroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
So how long will it before before some entrepreneur uses this as a subscription porn service?
I think there are a lot of options for premium 'user created' services based on this technology.

We will have to wait until the terms of service are available to see if any are really viable.

Also curious how this may integrate with HME to allow for a richer user interface.

- Roll
headroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #27
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Yep, nifty stuff, there's a lot we can do with the infrastructure we've been working on.

btw, I'm in New York this week on this exact topic.

Pony
that Unified Search is going to make a world of difference I think. can you say if it will be on the TiVo, or in other words - right on my TV?
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #28
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I think you're right - it's a business opportunity, porn or otherwise. I wonder if TiVo will place restrictions on the amount of content you can upload for that $4/mo and/or how many subscribers you can have? Do I get to manually approve each subscriber? If so, that would make setting up registration pretty easy.
10 is a number that comes to mind. Recall that they had already done this circle of TiVo thing and gotten it approved by the FCC, at that time the number was limited to 10 as part of that approval just so the FCC was comfortable it was not a business use but a consumer use. Of course enterprising distributers will arrange a peer to peer setup of circles.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #29
BobbyWDC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 50
TiVo only cares about techie customers

Will TiVo ever put out anything again to simply improve the experience of recording and managing shows off TV? I don't have a home network, and have no reason to get one. My TiVos are great, but have had the same interface for close to 3 years (no, KidZone doesn't count). THERE ARE IMPROVEMENTS that could be made, if they bothered. It is SOFTWARE, for pete's sake. (For one thing, the really horribly slow speed of the interface after the last version update.)

But it seems like TiVo is abandoning the market of people who just want a better way to watch TV in favor of all the internet/computer/downloading stuff. Or the outrageously high-priced S3 for HDTV customers. More ways to push people toward their plain old cable/satellite DVR and its horrible interface, and away from TiVo. I'm getting more and more disappointed in TiVo.
BobbyWDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #30
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain
 
ZeoTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25,525
and then there are people like me who have a home network and want these features as my way to expand the enjoyment of TV viewing by having easier access to new and different content
I would love to have the ability to make my own folders (like SciFi for example) and move shows around as I wanted to -- but that would take more processing each time the now playing is displayed. Now performance raises its head.
oh and the pending release has been reported in these very forums as boosting performance even for those who had bad performance after 7.3.
__________________
You just need to disable your sense of shame for all humanity and click past the break
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |