TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #31
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
The 90 minute Copy Never flag is only legal for use on VOB and PPV. Premium channels like HBO can be set to Copy Once, which means that they can be recorded on the TiVo but not transfered, but they're not supose to be set to Copy Never. And broadcast programming is supose to be set to Copy Freely at all times.

If you're having a problem with this then either your cable company has something set up wrong or you have a defective CableCARD. In either case this problem would not be a problem on a CableCARD TV, so this goes to prove my point that cable companies are still in the mentality that CableCARDs go in TVs and nothing else.

Dan

yup- DT_DC was kind enough to aim me to the regulation in question that says exactly what you posted here. Now I have some amunition to beat my cable compnay with.

I dont think there is anysuch thing as bad cablecard that would just on it's own reandomly set those flags wrong. But it's just my opinion. It's just taking like 8 bits out of the stream- what are the odds that a card is screwing up the same 8-bits over and over again yet works fine for everythign else?

In my case though i'm sure it's the provider as others have posted the same problem on the same channels so I dont think it's a technical issue- rather I would bet someone set a bad parameter someplace.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #32
want_series3

please help!

where i live the only option for television is through directv, i was getting ready to purchase the series3 when i realized it does not support directv. i just want to make sure i try everything possible before i give in and don't get the series3. so my question is, does anyone know of any way i can get the series3 and while having directv?? does directv make a "cablecard" that would support this??
want_series3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

No the Series3 will NOT work with DirecTV. Not only does DirecTV not offer CableCARD but they use a completely different tuner technology then cable. So it's actually impossible for any company to make a box which is compatible with both DirecTV and digital cable. (with the exception of devices like the S2 units which take an analog signal from any source and reencodes it to digital format)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #34
moonjockey

Forget BellSouth cable (Americast) they told me they have a waiver from the FCC.
moonjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #35
Raj
On air all the time

I started one for SECTV of NJ which is a small cable provider in NW NJ and they also serve PA.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=322297
Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #36
pashasurf7873

help in hawaii

Aloha,
I was about to buy my series 3 after having tivo since 2000 was excited to go HD. when asked about pricing, my local TIME WARNER sent me this:

Exchange with Time Warner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the email message string this afternoon with TW. Go figure.

Aloha!

1. as I stated previously, the Duplicate service charge does not include
the HD Entertainment Package. The Duplicate service charge only includes
the equipment rental fee, digital cable service, and any premium movie
channels in your subscription. Each device that is receiving the HD
Entertainment Package is billed for that package.

2. Yes, we are aware of the current limitations of the technology. You
can install a single CableCard in your Tivo and only record one channel
at a time.

3. The CableCards are billed for each device, each CableCard is a
separate device. You could obtain the HD DVR without the duplicate
service charge, however you would still be billed for the HD
Entertainment package which is required to have any HD cable box.

You could also rent the CableCards for $3.10 each, however they would
only be able to receive the Standard Cable Service. They would not
receive the authorization to receive the HD Entertainment Package, the
Digital Cable Package, nor the HBO or Showtime.

4. Because that is how the company decided to do the billing.

5. Everything is NOT going HD. That is a common misconception. HD and
Digital are two very different things. The FCC is only requiring a
change to Digital, not HD.

6. I am sorry, but it does not appear the same from our point of view.
We bill per device that receives premium programming in the home. If you
TiVo requires 2 of those devices then the account should be charged for
each one.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail us again
or contact our Customer Care Department at the appropriate number below.
When replying to this e-mail, please include this message as well as all
previous correspondence regarding this issue.

Cable TV or Internet:
Billing: 643-2100
Sales: 643-2337
Repair: 643-2300

Digital Phones:
Billing: 643-3333
Sales: 643-3663
Repair: 611 from your digital phone or 643-6611

Thank you,
Nick S.
Oceanic Time Warner Cable

----- So, to sum it up: to use a Tivo S3 in Hawaii it will cost us $36.10 extra a month....PLUS Tivo monthly fee.

Any advice?
pashasurf7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #37
gwtamblin

Starstream Cable - Sacramento area

I finally got a good answer from the cable company regarding CableCards:

Thank you for your email regarding cable cards. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion you have encountered when calling our customer service department. Starstream is currently in the testing phases of cable card deployment. Currently cable cards currently are only a one-way service, meaning that VOD, PPV and advanced services will not work with them. PPV is available by calling our automated PPV system. Cable cards also do not provide any type of program guide like digital converters do. We have encountered several issues within the testing phases of these cards regarding device compatibilities, etc. which has delayed widespread deployment of them. Starstream is currently working with our hardware vendors to resolve such technical issues. Once testing has been successful with cable cards within the Starstream system, we can contact you to arrange for an installation. As of this time, there is no ETA of when testing will be completed. Starstream does however offer HD DVD cable boxes that do have dual tuners for recording multiple shows. This eliminates the need for extra equipment, along with the need for a phone line to download Tivo program information. Please contact our customer support department at 916-630-7111 if you are interested in a HD DVR box.

Thank You,

Starstream Communications
gwtamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #38
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't see an "official" Brighthouse Networks thread, but this one is the closest so far:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=315837

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #39
Dan Clarke

Just in case you have it bad

I have 2 S2's and the Cable Co's DVR. I thought about getting a Series 3 but then I looked at my Cable Co's Rate Card...

http://www.metrocastcablevision.com/...l_ratecard.cfm

Yes folks, that's $149.95 PER CARD!

At least installation is included.
Dan Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #40
mercurial
Retro-Av

Well, at an average of $2.00/month/card plus ~$40 for installation, you'd have to keep them a little over 2 years to break even with the rest of us.. Not as bad as it appears on first glance.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #41
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashasurf7873
You could also rent the CableCards for $3.10 each, however they would
only be able to receive the Standard Cable Service. They would not
receive the authorization to receive the HD Entertainment Package, the
Digital Cable Package, nor the HBO or Showtime.
I don't understand why they couldn't receive those packages/channels.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #42
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clarke
I have 2 S2's and the Cable Co's DVR. I thought about getting a Series 3 but then I looked at my Cable Co's Rate Card...

http://www.metrocastcablevision.com/...l_ratecard.cfm

Yes folks, that's $149.95 PER CARD!

At least installation is included.

Interesting- But then you OWN it. I don't recall ever seeing other providers doing that. Awfully LONG payback compared to teh typicle less than $2/mpnth rental of the device itself.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #43
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Well, at an average of $2.00/month/card plus ~$40 for installation, you'd have to keep them a little over 2 years to break even with the rest of us.. Not as bad as it appears on first glance.
I forgot installation...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #44
paulsan

Official Eatel Installation Thread

In Ascension Parish (County) Louisiana there is a company called Eatel that has traditionally been the phone company. They now have fiber installed to most houses and the new FiberEdge product provides phone, TV and Internet service. They offer the SA8300 which I have used for 2 years now. I was concerned that they would not have cable cards but they do.

The cable cards are offered without installation and can be picked up at one of their two locations. They have them in stock and it takes about 5 minutes to complete the transaction. They charge $3.50/month per card and there is no additional outlet fee for them. I have not discussed lowering the price based on the fact they are in a single device.

Installation was fairly easy. You put the cards in and then have to call to get them activated. Their repair department in open until 10:00pm 7 days/week so you can get them activated on the weekend. The first card activated immediately, but the second one required 2 additional phone calls to get setup. I get the impression that they are somewhat familiar with the cards but have not had a lot of them installed. The technicians I spoke with did not know about the Series 3.

Both tuners and cards are working fine. You are able to get all of the analog and digital regular channels, all of the HD channels and all of the premium channels. You can not get the new video on demand (as expected). You can get pay previews including Tigervision (for LSU Sports).

I'm happy to finally be back onto a Tivo. My wife loved the Eatel but missed the Tivo.

Paul
paulsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #45
spenserj

Starstream CableCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtamblin
I finally got a good answer from the cable company regarding CableCards:

Thank you for your email regarding cable cards. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion you have encountered when calling our customer service department. Starstream is currently in the testing phases of cable card deployment. Currently cable cards currently are only a one-way service, meaning that VOD, PPV and advanced services will not work with them. PPV is available by calling our automated PPV system. Cable cards also do not provide any type of program guide like digital converters do. We have encountered several issues within the testing phases of these cards regarding device compatibilities, etc. which has delayed widespread deployment of them. Starstream is currently working with our hardware vendors to resolve such technical issues. Once testing has been successful with cable cards within the Starstream system, we can contact you to arrange for an installation. As of this time, there is no ETA of when testing will be completed. Starstream does however offer HD DVD cable boxes that do have dual tuners for recording multiple shows. This eliminates the need for extra equipment, along with the need for a phone line to download Tivo program information. Please contact our customer support department at 916-630-7111 if you are interested in a HD DVR box.

Thank You,

I was just on the phone with a Starstream rep and they are just a couple weeks away from having CableCards available - they have finished testing and just need to get the cards and service into their system. It does not appear that they have tested with a Series 3 so I may be the first guinea pig as I have scheduled a Dec 11 install date. I'll post my experience.
spenserj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #46
Cyclops

adelphia -- telemedia (waterbury ct)

I had my two CC installed yesterday with no problem. The cable guy said afterward it was his first Tivo although when he was doing it he acted like he did them all the time. I made it extremely easy for him-- I turned the Tivo around and had it on the right menu, etc. He seemed to know his way around a Tivo, though.

What surprised me was that I did not have a standard config leading up to my Tivo. I had a bypass filter that chops out channels 75-80 so that I can keep a Tivo in the basement and broadcast it on channel 78 and the HD Tivo was on the other side of this bypass and yet the install still worked. Unfortunately with frequency harmonics, a bypass filter for 75-80 also knocks out channel 750 which is HBOHD so I still had to bypass the bypass filter for the HDTivo directly to the outside world. (The other TV's still get the basement Tivo)

The cable guy said the reason why CCs had such a bad rep was that the cable companies were forced to provide them, so they were rushed into service and the first wave didn't work very well and all he could do was call in the numbers and wait for the other end to figure out the problem.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #47
midnightgirl

Cable Company: Insight Communications - Northern Illinois

Well bought my tivo last sunday. Took several calls before I could get them to send anyone out at all. But finally I did get an appt.

Tonight I had an Insight Communication installer out. He had never installed cards in a Tivo before but was very helpful. We got to the point where he was to call and activate the cards and when he got on the phone with them, he mentioned he was installing into a Tivo. The guy on the other end basically said right away we don't work with Tivos. I'm sorry it doesn't work. And I can't activate it.

So, the installer radio'd his boss who said yes there was a memo and we don't work with tivo. You must not have been there that day. I asked if I could speak to him and I asked him if we could not please just try and if it didn't work, that would be ok. He said I'm sorry ma'am even if I wanted to I have no authority over the people who would authorize it and they won't do it. He suggested I get the cable pvr but I told him I did not want to do that. I liked tivo and I was willing to pay to rent the cards, I just wanted to use my own equipment. He apologized but again the tivo was not compatible with their cards.

So after begging them to call them back and say its a tv and being told no, the installer left with his cards. After not really attempting anything.

So, after years of waiting for Tivo and deciding to go with cable even though I'd prefer Dish Network so i could keep my tivo...having less hd channels but keeping Tivo features...I was going to give in and get dish's pvr.

I called Tivo - to assure that the receiver was cancelled. I got a nice rep named Jeremy. I explained what happened. He asked what cable company I had and put me on hold. Then he came back and said we're going to call your cable company with you o nthe phone if that is ok. I said sure.

My cable rep got on the phone and Jeremy said Hi I'm jeremy from Tivo, and sue is a customer of ours. You are familiar with Tivo aren't you? she said yes. We explained the situation that happened with the rep who just left... and she said can you hold while I talk with my supervisor. Then she gets back on the phone and apologizes and says I'd like to set up another service call and send another rep out there for you to install the cards.

So this saturday we'll try again.
midnightgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #48
midnightgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenserj
I was just on the phone with a Starstream rep and they are just a couple weeks away from having CableCards available - they have finished testing and just need to get the cards and service into their system. It does not appear that they have tested with a Series 3 so I may be the first guinea pig as I have scheduled a Dec 11 install date. I'll post my experience.
Read my experience with Insight. You may want to call Tivo and see if they can help you and your cable installer.
midnightgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #49
mercurial
Retro-Av

I think the key is, when you get this crap form CableCos, is to just ask for a suprvisor and tell them nicely that you're going to double check with the FCC about their lack of cable card support and see how quickly their tone changes. Unless they're so small they have an exemption, that should get their attention pretty quickly.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #50
colin1497

Just added a thread to discuss experiences with Allegiance Communications:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=329363

Last edited by colin1497 : 11-30-2006 at 07:57 PM.
colin1497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #51
IDSmoker

Just added another new thread:

CableONE
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=330158
Old 12-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #52
gwtamblin

Starstream Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenserj

I recently heard from them and they said the cable cards are ready. I've ordered my S3 and will order cable card installation when the S3 arrives. My email is gwtamblinATyahoo. Let me know how it goes with you and I'll do the same.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #53
gwtamblin

Starstream Cable - Sacramento area

My S3 arrived last week. Set it up over the weekend. The cable guy installed the cards yesterday. Everything is working GREAT! I am their first install.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #54
ssctv

Starstream Cable Cards

Gwtamblin,

Thank you for allowing me to come to your home to install your S3 Tivo w/Cable Cards. Please contact me via email if you have any problems. Enjoy your new Tivo!

Spencerj,

Please contact Starstream offices via phone, ask for Ken J. to arrange for install of your cable card. In reading this forum, you stated you had an install arranged for December 11th, however i do not believe that your card was installed. Please let me know if this is the case, and we can get a card out to you for your Tivo.

Thanks,
Ken J.
Network Administrator
ssctv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #55
gtars

I just posted one for Grande Communications:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...61#post4701661
gtars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #56
tdogg

Hi, I would also like to see a thread for Bresnan, they seem to be confused as to what cable cards are here in Cheyenne, Wy
tdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #57
bkhowson

TiVo CableCARD Feedback

Just in case anyone wanted to share their cablecard feedback directly with Tivo:

http://www.tivo.com/series3hdDvr_cc.asp

(One failed install today, next try Sunday...)
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #58
hookbill
Feathered Member

TW Cable Card Price Increase

I just got a letter from TWC saying they are increasing prices 5% across the board. Cable card price went from 1.75 first card 4.75 each additional to 2.50 first card and 5.50 each additional.

Also they have lowered the price of their DVR by 1.00.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #59
dsmegma

I just hooked up my tivo 3 with 2 cards. I also have the hd cable box with card and tivo 2 hppked to that. I haven't checked the recording on my tivo 3 yet but my tivo 2 now records only audio and the video is blocked? I do ahve the hdmi hooked up direct to the back of my sony lcd tv but NOT to the cable box. Is there any renmedy to this crap? I mean why did I bother getting an Hd recorder if I cant record in Hd? How is giving me the run around cable of woodbury LI or Tivo? ANYONE please help or give any direction...
dsmegma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #60
crumley

US Cable

I just posted a thread for US Cable:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...66#post4756966
crumley is offline   Reply With Quote