TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #181
Galway1

By the way, Texas Ag, FIOS said that TIVO Series 3 did not work with FIOS but TIVO said (as I stated in my post) that they can't get TIVO Series 3 to work with FIOS either.

So, no I did not just listen to Verizon, I listened to TIVO, who has a major stake in my succeeding.

And on this entire string I see a few comments that TIVO Series 3 works with FIOS in Virginia, but no specifics.

Even the long link that answers so many questions about the specifics of what Series 3 does and what it works with says that TIVO works with FIOS but all of the links that users have posted seem to say that the reality is significantly different than what is stated but not proved nor supported.
Galway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #182
JohnBrowning

TiVo Series 3 works fine with FiOS. I don't see what all the stink is about? From the TiVo's point of view, its a digital cable connection PERIOD! I'm currently only running a single cableCARD, but, installation was trivial.
- Install TiVo
- Move CableCARD from TV to TiVo
- Run Guided Setup
- Enjoy TiVo!!

Quit spreading FUD and just enjoy the show!!!
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #183
TexasAg

It's funny, because it appears Verizon doesn't require the pairing numbers for the CableCards to work (you can move them between devices without requiring a call to Verizon).

This may change obviously, but it means that it's actually easier right now to set up the S3 with Verizon than it is for other cable providers.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #184
willettg

It's Works, But There Are Bugs

See my post #175. Do you have problems with the same four channels? Other than this issue, I am very pleased with the TiVo S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning
TiVo Series 3 works fine with FiOS. I don't see what all the stink is about? From the TiVo's point of view, its a digital cable connection PERIOD! I'm currently only running a single cableCARD, but, installation was trivial.
- Install TiVo
- Move CableCARD from TV to TiVo
- Run Guided Setup
- Enjoy TiVo!!

Quit spreading FUD and just enjoy the show!!!

willettg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #185
terramar

I am still having trouble on two separate S3s on Fios in Manhattan Beach, CA.

The ffwd and rewind speed skip erratically. Watching the counter at the bottom, you can see it cruise along, minute-by-minute, and then it will jump up suddenly anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes (occasionally even more). Sometimes it even jumps backwards.

Imagine seeing the numbers go like this:

17 18 19 21 22 26 24 25 29 23 24 25

It's almost impossible to fast-forward or rewind to a specific spot in a show. Two calls to Tivo over the last two weeks, two promised that they'll "get back to me in a day or so", and I've still not heard from them.

Anybody else seeing this?????? We're getting desperate - if we don't get a fix soon, my wife is going to insist we scrap the S3s and Fios and go back to DirecTV.

t
terramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #186
TexasAg

Someone over at dslreports posted that channels 71 and 520 work in Herndon, VA. Not real sure why the S3 would work in some places and not others, esp. since the CableCards seem to work in TVs when the S3 doesn't.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #187
Ilene

Ditto for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
I can confirm that I am missing channel 200 in addition to channels 71 and 520. I am also missing audio on channel 81.

Very strange stuff.
I am experiencing the same issues. When I called Verizon about it, they said that since I didn't have La Conexion, that I shouldn't be getting channel 520. I quickly dropped the conversation as I didn't want to lose the other channels. Too bad we can't tell if this is a North Texas problem or not since I can't find anyone reporting this that is not in our area. At this point I am assuming it is a TiVo issue and hope that they fix it in their next update.
Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #188
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

Finally!

For suburban DC, FIOS is finally here!

WTOP Article

"Hello, Comcast?"

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"I'd like to cancel service...."

Daydreams sometimes come true...lol
HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #189
jcaudle

Fios

Now how about FIOS in the rest of Fairfax County, not just Herndon. Although I will say that I think Cox is a better cable provider than Comcast.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #190
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle
Now how about FIOS in the rest of Fairfax County, not just Herndon.
Fios TV is being rolled out throughout Fairfax County ... not just Herndon. It just takes time ...

I'm in Fairfax (not Herndon) with Fios TV.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #191
terramar

Would anybody/everybody with Fios and the S3 tell me if they are having the same "jumping" problem with fast forward that I've described? It would really help me with Tivo.

They did have me do something to generate some sort of debug file that they are looking at, but so far, no answers.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #192
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme
So at this point, it appears the problems are with the existing cabling in my house.
I haven't visited this thread in a while and thought I'd share my update.

I finally climbed in my attic over the weekend and replaced the old co-ax from the splitter with a new co-ax that has four layers of shielding in it. I had a heck of a time fishing for the new co-ax as it was coiled up in the wall with the existing co-ax, Cat 6 and phone cable. I mangled a coat hanger and was able to get it up in the wall cavity to shake things loose.

My signal level went from the mid-80s up to 96-100 with the new cable. The channels that would heavily pixelate no longer have problems. Unfortunately, this means my wife will be watching her season pass for "Baby Story" on TLC now. ugh!
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #193
pnrmurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by terramar
Would anybody/everybody with Fios and the S3 tell me if they are having the same "jumping" problem with fast forward that I've described? It would really help me with Tivo.

They did have me do something to generate some sort of debug file that they are looking at, but so far, no answers.
I just had FiOS TV installed, including CableCards for my S3 on Sat. 12/9 and have noticed the stange jumping when fast forwarding. Seems to happen only on the fastest fast foward. Other than that, everything else seems fine.
pnrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #194
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnrmurph
I just had FiOS TV installed, including CableCards for my S3 on Sat. 12/9 and have noticed the stange jumping when fast forwarding. Seems to happen only on the fastest fast foward. Other than that, everything else seems fine.
That should be fixed in 8.1 firmware. Its an mpeg decoding issue.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #195
terramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
That should be fixed in 8.1 firmware. Its an mpeg decoding issue.

Can you provide the basis for your information, please?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #196
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Can you provide the basis for your information, please?
Tivo engineering support person. They have called me several times on the audio dropout/pixelation issue and I had a long conversation with the rep late one evening.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #197
terramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Tivo engineering support person. They have called me several times on the audio dropout/pixelation issue and I had a long conversation with the rep late one evening.
Thanks. I've made about 5 phone calls into tech support, and now they're asking me to do some remote gymnastics to allow them to gather some timing info......but they still keep claiming that the problem is something they've never heard of before, and I'm just getting completely frustrated.

My wife is starting to suggest that we dump the S3 and Fios and go back to DirecTV.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #198
TexasAg

Quote:
Thanks. I've made about 5 phone calls into tech support, and now they're asking me to do some remote gymnastics to allow them to gather some timing info......but they still keep claiming that the problem is something they've never heard of before, and I'm just getting completely frustrated.

My wife is starting to suggest that we dump the S3 and Fios and go back to DirecTV.
Just use the 30-second skip. I rarely ever use FF 3x with Fios.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #199
globalreset

cablecard with multistream yet?

Hey all. Just did the guided setup for my brand new series3. I currently have the fios tv, with their hd dvr. I have an installer coming out next week to setup the cablecard(s).

I saw lots of references to the newer cable cards with support for multistream coming in during November (last month). Does anyone know if these ever appeared? I'm just curious if I can tell the installer to only put one card in and keep the other. Funny enough, I trust the forum users a lot more to tell me what kind of hardware I'm getting than I do Verizon's installers.
globalreset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #200
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle
Now how about FIOS in the rest of Fairfax County, not just Herndon. Although I will say that I think Cox is a better cable provider than Comcast.
No doubt. A buddy of mine out in Leesburg has FiOS Internet w/ TV coming real soon (and he's in 'stacked housing').
I'm chomping @ the bit to get 15Mbps down/2Mbps up w/ an S3 + Slingbox = Nirvana.

Stacked Housing = Condos/Apartments in Telco speak.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #201
Tank99

I Have Verizon FIOS - Slow Program Info

I just switched apartments here in Tampa Florida and prior to that I was about to have FIOS installed in my old apartment. I was on their schedule to have them pull the fiber into my individual apartment. It took them two days to get it pulled into my new one, but got the internet working after a long wait. Since I was the first one in my 400 unit complex they wanted to get my Internet up first, so I had to keep Brighthouses Cable for about a week in my new apartment. During that time the Series3 HD box worked just as well as it did in my other apartment running Brighthouses. Then they guy came in and installed the two Verizon FIOS cable cards and like the other guy said it took him a little while to get it going, but he got it. Also as the other guy said, they do have them, they do not like to offer it, but they do provide them when asked.

Two additional things with this:

1. To get around the PPV and on demand not offered through the cable cards I had them provide me an extra HD box on the same TV. So if I want to watch PPV or on demand I just switch to another video source. I have had the cable cards installed in my HD box for three weeks now and have yet to switch over to watch it because, well TiVo Series3 is just that good, I donít want to switch, besides I have tons of stuff already TiVoíed Ė as for the on demand guide, who needs theirs when you have the TiVo one, heck yeah!
2. My only problem is that once I switched over to the Verizon Fios TV the individual program information for each show is very slow in coming up. It will display everything at a good speed, I get into the list of individual programs, but the second I switch to the description of the show it takes a good 10 to 15 seconds to come up and itís driving me nuts. I have reset my box but it is still slow in displaying. I thought perhaps because the FIOS TV has so many more channels than Brighthouses that was the problem, but I donít know. It worked at regular speed when I had Bright house installed on my Series3, but now with the Verizon FIOS itís really slow in displaying.

Can anyone help with this issue? Also if anyone has any questions about using FIOS I will answer you.

Tracy
Tank99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #202
wdave

FIOS is wired but not quite available in my neighborhood yet. So I stopped at the FIOS kiosk at my local mall this morning and asked about pricing. I was told:

$35.95 FIOS TV base price
$ 5.95 for each cable card
$ 2.95 for each "cable box"

I have an S3 with my main TV, plus two other TVs in the house, so she said I'd be paying:

35.95 + 5.95 (x2) + 2.95 (x2) = $53.75

Does that sound right? That's not what I thought I've read other's billing looks like for cable cards and extra outlets.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #203
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave
FIOS is wired but not quite available in my neighborhood yet. So I stopped at the FIOS kiosk at my local mall this morning and asked about pricing. I was told:

$35.95 FIOS TV base price
$ 5.95 for each cable card
$ 2.95 for each "cable box"

I have an S3 with my main TV, plus two other TVs in the house, so she said I'd be paying:

35.95 + 5.95 (x2) + 2.95 (x2) = $53.75

Does that sound right? That's not what I thought I've read other's billing looks like for cable cards and extra outlets.
My cards are $2.95 a piece. The $5.95 figure might be for M-stream cards, maybe?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #204
acvthree

I was quoted $3.95 yesterday and told there were no multi-stream cards. That I would be charged the $3.95 for each of the cards.

I was also told that no one has ever ordered a cable card from Verizon and they had to go to second level support to place an order for two card with one television. They even brought in technical support who had never heard of a Tivo that used cable cards.

<sigh>

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #205
homeguy

Is there a way to add a hard drive to the Fios HD DVR Box that Verison uses for their DVR?
homeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #206
mr_pink

Well, tivo3 running just fine here in Long Island, NY w/ 2 cablecards from FiOS.

As of last week, they do not have multistream cable cards. Ive also read that the current series3 software does not even support multistream (contrary to what the manul says) - so I'm not even sure why people keep talking about it.

I'm paying $2.95/mo for each card.
mr_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #207
TexasAg

I just noticed yesterday that I was getting channel 200 (Hallmark channel). This was one of the channels that I was missing. I'm still not getting 71 or 520, though.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #208
Ziggy86

Did the FIOS TECH have an idea what Tivo was and how it needed to be setup?

We don't have FIOS TV in my area of queens yet but I sure hope when we do that they know what is needed for users of S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pink
Well, tivo3 running just fine here in Long Island, NY w/ 2 cablecards from FiOS.

As of last week, they do not have multistream cable cards. Ive also read that the current series3 software does not even support multistream (contrary to what the manul says) - so I'm not even sure why people keep talking about it.

I'm paying $2.95/mo for each card.

Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #209
mr_pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86
Did the FIOS TECH have an idea what Tivo was and how it needed to be setup?

We don't have FIOS TV in my area of queens yet but I sure hope when we do that they know what is needed for users of S3
They knew what it was but had never installed one. The tech arrived with only 1 cablecard (even though I confirmed like 5 times before they showed up that they would be bringing two) - but it wasnt a big deal he just left and came back 20 minutes later with another one - and a new verizon friend who seemed more experienced - (I think he just wanted to see a series 3 tivo ) They had a tech bulletin they printed out from the office that explained FiOS specific tivo3 stuff.

We had a discussion about multistream cards - they had never heard of them but were really interested - they called some supervisors and everything to try and find out but noone had heard of any multistream cablecards coming in any time soon - or even that they were going to be getting them. I'm not sure where all this "Verizon will have multistream cards by November" talk originated from - but noone they had access to had ever heard that.

They insisted on following their tech notes instead of the "Give this to your cablecard installer" onesheet that comes with the tivo. The main difference was they powered the unit all the way off before inserting each card - took some extra time (two full bootups worth) - but seemed to work just fine.

They fatfingered one of the values the tivo spat back for hostid when entering it onto their activation portal - which required a 30 minute phone call to a tech somewhere to fix as it wouldnt let them go back and change it.

Overall I was pretty pleased. The Verizon techs, even the more inexperienced one - were head and shoulders above anyone from cablevision thats ever been to my house.
mr_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #210
Ziggy86

glad it worked out for you. Do you have an HD TV? If so how does it look with FIOS?

Steven
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote