TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #421
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

1. Make sure all shows are set for BASIC quality..
2. Buy a new S2 DT 186 hours TiVo for YOURSELF.. then..
3. learn how to say " Tough Sh*t" if she compalins that HER TiVo is full and want to use yours.
jtlytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #422
timckelley
TCFer

My shows are all set at Best Quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #423
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
My shows are all set at Best Quality.

That explains why your hard drive got full too fast.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #424
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlytle
That explains why your hard drive got full too fast.
Yes, but I'm not complaining. I have plenty of space, even at Best Quality. Actually, my hard drive really did not get full 'too fast'. It's filled with dozens of eps of "The Simpsons". I really don't need that many eps, and and so I'll probably delete a bunch without watching them. I have no desire to have half a hundred backlogged eps that I feel I must watch. I mainly just want my TiVo to always have shows available for me to watch that I like, and I also don't want to miss any episodes of any of my SPs except for "The Simpsons". (It's okay if I miss eps of the Simpsons.)

My TiVo is already meeting all these needs currently, so I have no need to go to Basic Quality, nor do I need more hard drive space. The space I have, even at Best Quality, provides me with more than enough eps on all Season Passes to achieve all my above goals.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #425
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

My apology, I didnt realized that this threat started 3 years ago, I am sure the problem has solved by now.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #426
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

Quote:
Her reasoning is that she likes to delete stuff she knows she will absolutely never need to undelete, so that, in a way, she is controlling which part of the RD folders deletes first, thus sort of protecting the RD entries that might have a small chance of eventually needing to be undeleted.
I think the only times I've undeleted is when I forgot to keep the episode for someone else to watch. I don't usually re-watch shows, and my tivo is pretty full that I don't have time to catch up on lots of things. I can't remember the last DVD I saw because I still have too much stuff on the tivos.

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
Havana Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #427
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlytle
My apology, I didnt realized that this threat started 3 years ago, I am sure the problem has solved by now.
LOL. Yeah, THREE YEARS AGO!

Personally I think this thread has another 5-10 years in it, but that's just me. The characters on Lost will figure out how to beam themselves back to the states before this guy and his wife figure out how to manage Tivo, and the rest of their life!
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #428
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
LOL. Yeah, THREE YEARS AGO!

Personally I think this thread has another 5-10 years in it,
Unless Tivo broke up their marriage.

The person who really wants to do something finds a way; the other person finds an excuse.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #429
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana Brown
Unless Tivo broke up their marriage.
It's much worse than that. I love Tivo, but in this case Tivo broke up all vestiges of common sense!

You have to invest a few hours and read the entire thread to believe it, and also believe that three years later we're discussing basically the SAME THING!

This is my favorite thread of all time!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #430
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

Quote:
It's much worse than that. I love Tivo, but in this case Tivo broke up all vestiges of common sense!

You have to invest a few hours and read the entire thread to believe it!
I have (just didn't want to say it)

Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #431
edickison78

Speaking as a wife, yours needs to learn to share. I'm all for upgrading, have just done so myself. An even better idea would be to tell her to get her own TiVo, these here be modern times
edickison78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #432
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by edickison78
Speaking as a wife, yours needs to learn to share. I'm all for upgrading, have just done so myself. An even better idea would be to tell her to get her own TiVo, these here be modern times
Wow I wish someone would have thought of posting that THREE YEARS AGO!

Oh wait, someone did. Two years ago too. And last year for that matter. Still, the thread rolls on...........

Question, when a thread hits it's five year anniversary mark, and WE'RE STILL DISCUSSING THE EXACT SAME ISSUE, does the original poster get a present?

Or does it have to wait until the 10 or 15 year mark? Because don't worry, we'll get there.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #433
Havana Brown
Ring Turner

For 5 years it's wood, for 10 it's tin and for 15 it's crystal.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #434
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by edickison78
She does have her own TiVo. It's full and she's now wanting to add Season Passes to Tim's.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #435
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
She does have her own TiVo. It's full and she's now wanting to add Season Passes to Tim's.
Just like three years ago.............
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #436
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz

Tim needs to make use of the new technology that was developed and came out while this thread was running its course. I say he gets a Series 2 and then turns on the Kid Zone feature so his wife can watch shows on his TiVo but can not add new scheduled recordings
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #437
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
Tim needs to make use of the new technology that was developed and came out while this thread was running its course. I say he gets a Series 2 and then turns on the Kid Zone feature so his wife can watch shows on his TiVo but can not add new scheduled recordings
Hey there's an idea, let's talk about what happened since this thread started, and all the got resolved or changed in the world while our poor friend still can't figure out how he and his wife can't share Tivo:

1. The Red Sox won a world series.
2. The NHL shut down for an entire season, came back, played an entire season, and moved onto the next one.
3. Lebron James moved from high school to th NBA.
4. Britney got married and divorced. Sort of.
5. Everyone started drinking green tea.
6. The Chicago Bears went from laughingstock to good.
7. The Chicago Cubs went from laughingstock to laughingstock.
8. One season of the Sopranos aired.
9. American Idol took over America every Spring.
10. Jack Bauer saved the world THREE TIMES!

(What else am I missing?)

Yet this guy and his wife are still having basically the SAME PROBLEM regarding TV!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #438
timckelley
TCFer

I should clear up misconceptions that the same problems have occurred for the last 3 years, and also the misconception that 3 years ago she was hogging my TiVo.

3 1/2 years we got our first TiVo. Within a few months I started having the 'running out of space problems'. Then about 3 years ago, my wife totally caught up with her backlog, and there was no problem. By December, 2003, the problem was back. January, 2004 I bought a second TiVo, and gave her the original TiVo. That solved our problems. That is, until this year. Note that's a two-and-a-half year continuous stretch of no problems. It was only this year that she had taken over a large fraction of my TiVo. I then upgraded her from 80 hours (basic quality) to more than 300 hours (basic quality). That instantly solved the problem, and here I sit right now with no problem.

So no, you're mistaken when you say it's been 3 years of the same problem.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #439
RangersRBack

Quote:
I should clear up misconceptions that the same problems have occurred for the last 3 years, and also the misconception that 3 years ago she was hogging my TiVo.

3 1/2 years we got our first TiVo. Within a few months I started having the 'running out of space problems'. Then about 3 years ago, my wife totally caught up with her backlog, and there was no problem. By December, 2003, the problem was back. January, 2004 I bought a second TiVo, and gave her the original TiVo. That solved our problems. That is, until this year. Note that's a two-and-a-half year continuous stretch of no problems. It was only this year that she had taken over a large fraction of my TiVo. I then upgraded her from 80 hours (basic quality) to more than 300 hours (basic quality). That instantly solved the problem, and here I sit right now with no problem.

So no, you're mistaken when you say it's been 3 years of the same problem.
Dude just a month ago you're posting about too many SP's and backlogs, and filled hard drives, just like you were three years ago. That's three solid years of the same basic problem!

And read the thread, there have been fixes before over the years, but inevitably you get back to the SAME PROBLEM!

So don't worry, if you have no problem at the moment I promise you this thread will start up again in a week or a month with 'My wife is now doing blah blah blah, even though she said she wouldn't', and now I have a Tivo problem again........

I'm one of the morons who reads this whole thread and has been paying attention, and every time you think you have the problem solved, or your wife figured out, the SAME THING HAPPENS!

This thread is funnier than Entourage! And lasts a lot longer too!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #440
marrone
Phased Member

Seems like an external RAID would help here.

Wasn't someone selling a 1.4TB raid a while back for a Tivo?

-Mike
Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #441
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Dude just a month ago you're posting about too many SP's and backlogs, and filled hard drives, just like you were three years ago. That's three solid years of the same basic problem!
three years ago: yes
one month ago: yes

three solid years: no. The key word is solid. Like I said, there were two and a half solid years of no problem in between 3 years ago and 1 month ago.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #442
RangersRBack

Quote:
three years ago: yes
one month ago: yes

three solid years: no. The key word is solid. Like I said, there were two and a half solid years of no problem in between 3 years ago and 1 month ago.
Two and a half solid years of no problems between 3 years ago and 1 month ago? Are you serious? Please check your posts dated 6/3/2003 (the original post), 7/22/2004, 8/4/2005, and the last two months. No problems??? Please. Your problems are obviously ongoing.

And there are many many other posts by you other than on those dates.

No problems? Did your wife delete part of your brain when she should have been deleting recordings?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #443
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Two and a half solid years of no problems between 3 years ago and 1 month ago? Are you serious? Please check your posts dated 6/3/2003 (the original post), 7/22/2004, 8/4/2005, and the last two months. No problems??? Please. Your problems are obviously ongoing.

And there are many many other posts by you other than on those dates.

No problems? Did your wife delete part of your brain when she should have been deleting recordings?

8/4/2005 is right in the middle of the two-and and a half year range where I wasn't having problems. I checked that post and don't see any reference to my problem of running out of TiVo space. The only problem I see there is one my wife had (not any problem I was having), separate from the basic problem you're claiming to exist for a solid three years. That was the post where my wife was trying to deal with her TiVo addiction. Reread that post and you'll there is no space shortage problem being dealt with at that time.

If anything, that post illustrates how this is not 3 years of the same problem.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #444
RangersRBack

Quote:
8/4/2005 is right in the middle of the two-and and a half year range where I wasn't having problems. I checked that post and don't see any reference to my problem of running out of TiVo space. The only problem I see there is one my wife had (not any problem I was having), separate from the basic problem you're claiming to exist for a solid three years. That was the post where my wife was trying to deal with her TiVo addiction. Reread that post and you'll there is no space shortage problem being dealt with at that time.

If anything, that post illustrates how this is not 3 years of the same problem.
You're talking semantics to avoid the basic issue.

What I said was, it's three years of the same basic problem...you and your wife having problems living together with Tivo. Three solid years.

Sure the specifics may change from year to year...uprade issues, tape issues, general hospital issues, whatever...but the bottom line is you've been having the SAME BASIC PROBLEM for three solid years.

I promise you this thread will still be alive five years from now, with a different yet similar problem regarding how you and your wife can't figure out how to live together with Tivo.

Here's a thought...throw Tivo out the door and just watch some TV together, whatever is on...together.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #445
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
You're talking semantics to avoid the basic issue.
I submit it is you talking semantics if now you're lumping in her desire to watch less TV with my problem of lack of space. Still, your comment of 3 solid years is still completely false even if I were to include that secondary problem. If you look at my number of posts here divided by time, you'll see I post to this thread relatively seldom. That's because the vast majority of the time, I'm not having problems to report. Like I said, I personally didn't have problems for 2 1/2 SOLID YEARS. My wife might have, but even then, hers weren't solidly throughout that 2 1/2 years.

Overall, my TiVoing is going quite smoothly, even now as I speak, so I have no need nor desire to get rid of it. It's working as designed.

Watching TV together, as you suggest also isn't practical since our free time is usually not at the same time. That's why we have TiVos to begin with.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 11-08-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #446
jtlytle
Un-Registered User

Quote:

no no, It's "WIFE" thing you don't understand.. Unless you have one, Well, Maybe it's YOU We are confused with..
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #447
RangersRBack

Quote:
I submit it is you talking semantics if now you're lumping in her desire to watch less TV with my problem of lack of space. Still, your comment of 3 solid years is still completely false even if I were to include that secondary problem. If you look at my number of posts here divided by time, you'll see I post to this thread relatively seldom. That's because the vast majority of the time, I'm not having problems to report. Like I said, I personally didn't have problems for 2 1/2 SOLID YEARS. My wife might have, but even then, hers weren't solidly throughout that 2 1/2 years.

Overall, my TiVoing is going quite smoothly, even now as I speak, so I have no need nor desire to get rid of it. It's working as designed.

Watching TV together, as you suggest also isn't practical since our free time is usually not at the same time. That's why we have TiVos to begin with.
Yeah. Smoothly. If everything was going smoothly this thread would go away, but it never does. And never will. Trust me, in ten years we'll still be discussing the SAME BASIC PROBLEM.

To jlytle, yes I am married, and every time I read another post from this guy, I walk over and give my wife a kiss. She has no idea that I'm thanking her for not being this woman. And we have an actual relationship, where we watch some TV together and some not, and actually do things together that don't involve the TV as well.

Sounds like this woman spends her entire life trying to catch up to shows she recorded.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #448
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Yeah. Smoothly.
Exactly. Long periods of smoothness interspersed with shorter periods of roughness.

Quote:
If everything was going smoothly this thread would go away, but it never does.
I don't follow that logic. Once things go smoothly doesn't mean it will permanantly remain smooth.

Quote:
And we have an actual relationship, where we watch some TV together and some not, and actually do things together that don't involve the TV as well.
We also do many things together. It's these other things that are partly responsible for her backlog. I don't see how you can possibly infer that because she has a backlog, that we don't do things together. For example, a week and a half ago, my wife and I and my son all drove out to Central Texas and spent the day there hiking and climbing to the peak of "Enchanted Rock" (A site in a state park.) Where in any of my posts have I implied we don't do things together?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #449
RangersRBack

Quote:
True, I'm stronger than her, and I could put my foot down, but the reality of the situation is that being macho and dominant creates more problems than it solves. She can get emotional and start yelling and crying, and generally make life difficult (including threatening divorce, etc.) This is an atmosphere I really don't want to live with. She already yells enough and has enough anger already, I don't need the stress of more yelling and arguing, and my son certainly doesn't need to witness that. (Not to mention she's being medically treated for depression by her psychologist, and having an autistic son that needs almost constant supervision, and protection from dangers - like being run over by cars, among other things - even now at his current age of almost 7 - doesn't make things easier.)

So this is why I don't always put my foot down. But I haven't been lying down totally like a wussy either. I've had quite a few conversions with her, and she knows my feelings on this. Just today, I asked her if, after the upgrade to over 300 hours, will she then agree to stay off my TiVo. At first she said "no", because her TiVo is hooked to a DVD burner, but mine is hooked to a VHS machine, and she wants the option to archive her shows in either format. This is easily solved with an A/B switch that I just bought at Walmart, so I rephrased the question: "If I give your TiVo the option of saving to DVD or VHS, and if you have over 300 hours of space, do you foresee needing to put stuff on my TiVo?". At this point, she accused me of being selfish with my TiVo. I immediately told her it wasn't selfishness. I told her that we have the means of setting ourselves up with TiVos/accessories beefy enough to satisfy both our needs, and I see no reason why we shouldn't avail ourselves of this ability to set ourselves up. She needs a fair amount of space, and she needs to be hooked up to a DVD burner and a VCR. I want/need a fair amount of space so that I'll have a nice selection of Suggestions to choose from. Also, when she sets stuff up on my TiVo, if I'm not mistaken, it defaults to a one-thumbs up for all her stuff, which could be goofing up my thumbs settings.

So, we each have our needs, and I see a way to meet those needs, and I'd like to set things up like that, and I don't consider that to be selfishness. When I put it like that, she agreed with me and said she'll stay off my TiVo.

Anyway, I intend to order off for the new hard drive by this afternoon, and will install it sometime later after it gets shipped to me.
Was this part of the smoothness? Because this sounds about as rough as it can get.

My opinion is she's addicted to Tivo and you're addicted to this thread.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #450
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Was this part of the smoothness? Because this sounds about as rough as it can get.

My opinion is she's addicted to Tivo and you're addicted to this thread.
At that point it was not smooth. May I add that I'm the OP and it makes sense I'm here. I'm starting to think you're the one addicted to this thread.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc