TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #61
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkefer
I have one Pioneer 810-H (activated Feb 2004) and also an original model Phillips Series 1 (activated July 1999).

Recently I have not been able to view rented DVDs in the Pioneer unit. DVDs that I have recorded on the unit seem to work fine. Recording seems to work fine.

Symptoms:
1. Periodic horizontal lines across the screen
3. Darkening of the picture after the horizontal lines

Is there some way to clean it or adjust it to get rid of this problem?
Did you recently change how it is connected to your TV? It sounds like the Macrovision copy protection is kicking in during playback of commercial DVDs. Make sure that the TiVo' video output is connected directly to the TV and not through any other devices and that should resolve the problem.

Last edited by GT1Boy : 10-21-2006 at 08:40 PM.
GT1Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #62
runkefer
Early Adopter 7/99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy
Did you recently change how it is connected to your TV? It sounds like the Macrovision copy protection is kicking during playback of commercial DVDs. Make sure that the TiVo' video output is connected directly to the TV and not through any other devices and that should resolve the problem.
Hmmm.... No, I haven't changed the hookup since 2004. However, I can't hook the DVR directly to the TV because it's an ancient TV (ca 1992) and it has only one input, coax, so I'm running the DVR through a VCR and then via coax into the TV (I think--I'll have to pull everything out of the cabinet and rummage around in the tangle of cables.) I'm wondering if it has to do with how new the DVDs are and whether they use the copy protection scheme. I'll have to check whether there is any alternate way to make the hookup work so that I can use the VCR and the TiVo with that TV.

Thanks for the help.
runkefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #63
jon_n_san_diego

Pioneer Hard Drive Defects??

My 810H is not even 2 years old and already the picture/signal is breaking up several times per 1/2 hour and it's getting worse. - I go to all the user manuals and info packaged with the unit and I find this goldenrod colored 1/2 page from Pioneer titled: "About the internal hard disk drive, HDD." ...which basically says that: the HD is delicate and if used improperly then it will fail in a few years. and if the playback freezes or there is noticeable block noise, (mozaic), then you're SOL. - It's just "funny" that Pioneer would put in a defect-excuse, blaming the consumer before they've even plugged the damn thing in.

Now this unit has been in the same built-in cabinet the whole time with no movement and no problems until now. It sure sounds like Pioneer sold a unit with known product defects and I wouldn't put it past Costco to buy their close-outs knowing there was a problem...but the price was cheap.

Anyone else have similar problems with their 810H? This just really pisses me off that now I'll have to put in a new HD to maintain my Lifetime Tivo account, in just 22 month's time!
jon_n_san_diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #64
bicker
Gruff

I'd put a greater likelihood that Costco mishandled the stock before you made your purchase. Either that or you got an outlier. Not all products last the same amount of time. That's not a "known product defect" -- it's reality.

My 810H is about three years old, and the only problem we've ever had was the kazoo problem (which seems to have gone away now, since we got rid of the cable box -- must have been something wrong with the audio input jacks).
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #65
Hpirx
Slip Kid

Had my 810H for about 3 years now. One HD change after a year and a half. Very easy courtesy of Weaknees. Still TiVos and burns great.
Bought it when the price was still premium and have never regretted it.
I always thought the ability to offload programs was fantastic and it surprises me that interest seems to have petered out in terms of new product.
Will try to keep it for as along as possible and I will mourn it's eventual passing.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #66
dirtypacman
Coming and going

My favorite unit also is the 810.

The toshiba model is pretty good also.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #67
generaltso

I've still got an 810, but it stopped working about 6 months ago. I really do like the 810 better than the Humax, but since I already have a Humax I can't justify spending $200 to have Pioneer fix the 810.

No, the problem is not the hard drive or the power supply. Unless anyone knows where I can get a cheap 810 system board, I think my 810 is going to continue taking up space in a box in the basement
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #68
kwadguy

I have the 810h model as well, and think it's the spiffiest Tivo out there. (Well, maybe not as spiffy as the Tivo 3, which I haven't used...)

Two questions:

Using high quality DVD-R blanks (Taiyo Yuden 8x, Fuji branded, made in Japan), my unit takes ~1 hour to burn two 1 hour programs (@ high quality, i.e. filling the disc). That's 2x for blanks that burn at 8x on everything else...Is this typical?

Also, has anyone successfully replaced the burner unit in one of these? Mine works fine, but I'm thinking into the future...

Kwad
kwadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #69
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Im not positive but the Pioneer may max out at 4x speed.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #70
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Yep, max speed is 4x for DVD-R and 2x for DVD-RW.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #71
bicker
Gruff

How would eBay help get your 810H working?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #72
generaltso

KLM, if you do end up trying to offload your 810, PM me. I'm looking for parts to try to fix mine.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #73
jole60

VCR Plus+ On 810H Not Working

VCR+ Plus programming on my 810H unit no longer functions. When I enter a pluscode, the following message displays:

"The PlusCode that you entered (XXXXX) refers to Guide number XX, which does not currently correspond to any channel. If you entered a PlusCode correctly, then go to VCR Plus+ Channels to enter the appropriate channel for Guide Number and then try again".

A review of my VCR Plus Channels confirms that all entries are correct. The same message appears when I delete and then re-enter channels.

I recently installed the 8.1 upgrade and don't know if this problem is is software or hardware-related. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with this model?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
jole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #74
jole60

klm, forum rules don't let me post the web address because I have less than five posts here; but if you Google "VCRPLus", you'll find what you want at the top of search results.
jole60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #75
xhayes55

I need a DVR 810H Main Board

If anyone knows where to get a Main Board for the DVR 810H plese let me know. I checked with Pioneer and the lady told me that I could get the board for $551. I told her that she was out of her mind. The unit is great but bot gold.
xhayes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #76
generaltso

Pioneer has a flat repair fee of $200 for a broken 810 regardless of what's wrong with it.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #77
xhayes55

That is not what they told me, But I will check on that. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #78
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

I love my Pioneer units!
Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #79
xhayes55

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
Pioneer has a flat repair fee of $200 for a broken 810 regardless of what's wrong with it.

I checked and they do. Now I have to decide is it worth it.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #80
generaltso

Yeah, that was the same situation I was in when my Pioneer first stopped working. I just haven't been able to justify the $200 repair fee since I have so many other TiVos, including a Humax DVD box. But I sure do miss my Pioneer.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #81
fountain

I recently purchased a DVR-810 on which the previous owner had a an expanded Tivo service. When he sold it to me he cancelled the service. Now when I try to connect to Tivo all I get instead of the basic channels display is a showcase display. When I go to the DVR system information the display indicates that service is cancelled. At both Pioneer's and Tivo's service departments request I have cleared the entire unit without success in reintalling the Basic channel service. The Showcase is worhtless. Does anyone out there have any advice as to what to do? All other functions on the unit are working fine. Thanks!
fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #82
kwadguy

On my DVR-810H, which I am running with Tivo Basic (aka just enough Tivo to piss you off!), and which has gone through numerous software updates, when I go to the "upgrade to full Tivo" screens it STILL tells me that I can have lifetime for $299. I would have thought that that would have disappeared with the updates...Unless they are still honoring the $299/lifetime deal for the Pioneer/Tivo. If they aren't, then it seems like real bad form to leave that price screen unchanged on the unit.

(Note that I never activated the free 90 day trial...Perhaps the $299/lifetime disappears if/when you activate the trial)?

One more thing:

Is there any way to edit/control chapter marks in programs recorded to DVD? I like to put chapter marks every minute so that when watching on a DVD player, I can just fast forward through the commercials in 1 minute chunks. I don't see any way to control this on the Tivo/Pioneer, however.

kwad

Last edited by kwadguy : 11-14-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 AM   #83
bicker
Gruff

Service updates don't wipe away all vestiges of the original install. For example, each of my TiVos has its own welcome video, and they've never changed despite the fact that they've all received service updates, and two of them now have the same software version.

Rest assured: TiVo time limited lifetime service offers by public release. You cannot pay $299 to get lifetime on to a Pioneer 810H any longer.

There is no way to chapterize the DVDs made by the 810H.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #84
generaltso

You can still get lifetime on a Humax DVD box that's never been activated. But I'm not sure if that applies to a Pioneer.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #85
bicker
Gruff

It doesn't.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #86
kwadguy

I have some DVD-RW blanks (Memorex, 4x rated) that I can record in my 810H. HOWEVER, after I record them (and finalize them), I can't reuse them. If I put it back in the Tivo/Pioneer, and select "copy programs to DVD" I get an error about how the disc can't be used for that purpose. Huh? I thought the recorder was supposed to be able to reinitialize the disc and reuse it...?

I haven't tried reinitializing them on a PC yet...but the manual says you can reuse a DVD-RW on the Tivo/Pioneer and says nothing about needing to reinitialize on a PC.

Kwad
Old 11-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #87
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

kwadguy,

You were able to burn shows using the 4x DVD-RW media in your Pioneer? I have never been able to do that. I can only use 1X or 2X DVD-RW media. Whenever I try to use 4X DVD-RW media to burn some shows, I get the broken disc icon, meaning that the burner cannot use it. Period.

The manual is very specific on what media will work in the machine. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I remember having to read the fine print on the outside packaging of the DVD-RW media I was looking to buy, to make sure it was compatible.

I can use 4X DVD-R media, and occasionally 8X DVD-R media. Haven't tried 16X DVD-R media. But only been able to use 1X DVD-RW and 2X DVD-RW media. Never been able to use 4X DVD-RW media.

The 2X DVD-RW media is rather hard to find now. I was fortunate to find a bunch that will work in my Pioneers. I found some on Ebay, and some in Japan (I used to live there). But this was a while back.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #88
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Allright, count me in the "I-Love-my-Pioneer-DVD-burner-Tivo" club! I have an 810H that I purchased 3 years ago and is long out of warranty. But I swear it is still the best thing ever!

Burner has failed and Weaknees won't fix it anymore (a few months back they were willing to). Called Pioneer and got the standard $200 to fix shpeel.

I would also like to upgrade to a 300gb HD.

My questions are:

What to do first? Will Pioneer work on an upgraded unit?

Has anyone had Pioneer repair their unit? Are you happy with the result?

Is there an upgraded burner or firmware available (someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I did not see an answer).

What about scrapping plans to fix the burner and just getting a slingbox to transfer the stuff I want to record to my laptop?

Thanks in advance!
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #89
generaltso

I think that $200 really just gets Pioneer to swap your box for a refurbed unit. If you send them a box with an upgraded drive, there's a good change you won't get that drive back. I would recommend waiting until you have a working unit to upgrade the drive.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #90
raardvark

VCR+ Not working

I've got the same problem, and a friend with an 810H also does. We're not sure when it started, but we also think it was about the time the upgrade was pushed. My friend called Tivo a couple of times with not luck -- they seem to think he's got his guide set up incorrectly, but his and mine are correct.

Has anyone come across a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole60
VCR+ Plus programming on my 810H unit no longer functions. When I enter a pluscode, the following message displays:

"The PlusCode that you entered (XXXXX) refers to Guide number XX, which does not currently correspond to any channel. If you entered a PlusCode correctly, then go to VCR Plus+ Channels to enter the appropriate channel for Guide Number and then try again".

A review of my VCR Plus Channels confirms that all entries are correct. The same message appears when I delete and then re-enter channels.

I recently installed the 8.1 upgrade and don't know if this problem is is software or hardware-related. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with this model?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.