TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #211
XBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Well, I just filed my complaint with Fairfax County regarding getting charged for two digital outlet fees (I did try going through Cox CSR rep, who basically told me the extra charge was Tivo's fault). Did anyone else complaint to their municipality or relevant governing authority? I don't know if anything will come of this, but I figure it's worth a shot.
I just ordered ordered the Digital Cable Service, two cable cards for the Series3 plus an HD PVR for a 2nd location from Cox Orange County, CA and they said they would only add one additional digital outlet fee for the HD PVR. Counting your Series3 as two outlets really blows, since, as someone else mentioned, their own PVR can record two things at once from a single outlet (don't have it yet so can't confirm). Hope this helps with your cause.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #212
pestilence

IM not sure what you mean by cable cards. I have Cox in Phoenix and have no problems with the series 2. Cox doesnt know I have tivo and I dont plan to let them know either because its none of their business. Cox already has too much of the "digital pie" imho
pestilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #213
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestilence
IM not sure what you mean by cable cards. I have Cox in Phoenix and have no problems with the series 2. Cox doesnt know I have tivo and I dont plan to let them know either because its none of their business. Cox already has too much of the "digital pie" imho
You'd know it all too well if you had a S3 . Think Tivo in HD! The S3 doesn't use a cablebox, it 'is' your cable box and it tunes the digital / HD channels. the cablecards are what authorize the Tivo's tuners for the channels you subscribe to.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #214
techman36

My TCStore Series3 is arriving on Friday according to DHL. I have scheduled my 2 cable card installs for Saturday morning. I will give an update post install.

Also, the Cox CSR tried really hard to talk me out of the cards stating that I would not be happy and I should stay with the 2 DVRs I have been renting from them (I also have a Series2 as well) She kept saying that picture quality was horrible and Tivo didn't stack up well against the SA 8300 DVRs. All I could do was laugh and asked her to fill my order as I asked. She did so but kept repeating that there was going to be a $50 charge every time the CC failed. The really seem to be pushing back really hard to keep cards from going out and trying to keep people renting their DVRs. Makes allot of sense since they are squeezing $25 a month from the 2 DVRs I have from them now.
techman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #215
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman36
She did so but kept repeating that there was going to be a $50 charge every time the CC failed. The really seem to be pushing back really hard to keep cards from going out and trying to keep people renting their DVRs.
I would have let her know that every time they extort $50 from you for providing a substandard product that you would be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, the local franchise authority, and the FCC. It's OK for the cable monopolies to need some time to get up to speed on cablecard (I guess 2 years hasn't been enough), but telling people they're going to charge if a product they co-developed breaks is simply unacceptable.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #216
pkscout

Question for Cox Las Vegas folks. Are you able to get the digital simulcast of the analog channels with the cablecards? I'm moving to Vegas in January, and if I can't get the digital simulcast channels with the cablecards I'm thinking of just building a MythTV box and going analog cable and the free QAM channels (I don't want or need any of the premium channels).
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #217
jasonpot

Cox Las Vegas

Just got my first bill. As I feared, they are charging me the "Digital Gateway Outlet" fee for $7.95 each plus the CableCARD rental fee of $1.99. This is not kosher as their own crappy DVR has dual tuner functionality and they don't charge the additional outlet fee for it.

Complained to the local franchise authority. Will let you know if anything comes of it.

As for the simulcast, how would I go about checking for that?
jasonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #218
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpot
As for the simulcast, how would I go about checking for that?
I don't have the Series3 yet, so here's a guess. Any digital channel or tuner shouldn't allow you to set the recording quality. So if Cox is doing digital simulcast of all the channels *and* if the cablecard is mapping the analog channel numbers to the digital ones, then you shouldn't have any option to set the recording quality.

Of course if you can set the recording quality it might just mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #219
Bodie

Just what is a "digital gateway"? Can they show me one? If I sign up for any level of service, I can tune to channel X and see that service is there that I'm paying for. I just want to know WTF this digital gateway is that I will be paying for. (I wonder what would they give me if I called and said "I want the digital gateway" and then refused any other services...)
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #220
jasonpot

pkscout -

There are definitely channels that do have that option and some that don't. For sure, the HD channels do not have the option to change recording quality. I'll double check to see if the digital channels have the option. Pretty sure that the lower analog channels have the option.
jasonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #221
XBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie
Just what is a "digital gateway"? Can they show me one? If I sign up for any level of service, I can tune to channel X and see that service is there that I'm paying for. I just want to know WTF this digital gateway is that I will be paying for. (I wonder what would they give me if I called and said "I want the digital gateway" and then refused any other services...)
With Cox in OC, CA, the Digital Gateway gets you pay-per-view, the music channels and the guide. These features are included with the Digital Cable Service, so if you pay for the Digital Cable Service, there is no separate line item for the Digital Gateway.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #222
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR
With Cox in OC, CA, the Digital Gateway gets you pay-per-view, the music channels and the guide. These features are included with the Digital Cable Service, so if you pay for the Digital Cable Service, there is no separate line item for the Digital Gateway.
they told me 'that's what lets you get the digital channels'.

Let's see...

PPV - dont' care.
Music channels - almost never use, wont' miss e'm
Guide - They're kidding, right?

Take your Fee and shove it Cox!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #223
XBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
they told me 'that's what lets you get the digital channels'.
Man, that's bogus. But, the pricing page for AZ does look different than the one for OC CA. On the OC page, a footnote to the Digital Gateway service reads: "** Valid with Limited Basic Service, includes on-screen guide, access to premium channels, indemand pay-per-view, plus 72 music choice channels."
Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #224
moyekj

Yes for Cox OC assuming you are still paying for at least the minimum digital cable tier then the charges are (if you are not renting a digital box from them):
CC #1 $1.99 CC rental
CC #2 $1.99 CC rental + $1.59 additional outlet

By returning the Cox DVR I had $9.95 box rental + $4.95 DVR service deducted from the bill
=> Net cable bill is around $9/month less than when I had the Cox DVR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #225
XBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Yes for Cox OC assuming you are still paying for at least the minimum digital cable tier then the charges are (if you are not renting a digital box from them):
CC #1 $1.99 CC rental
CC #2 $1.99 CC rental + $1.59 additional outlet

By returning the Cox DVR I had $9.95 box rental + $4.95 DVR service deducted from the bill
=> Net cable bill is around $9/month less than when I had the Cox DVR
Yup, I thought I could live with it, I'm going to drop their DVR (even though I've heard they were going to upgrade to TiVo-based software by the end of the year) and pick up two more cable cards; they said my monthly bill will drop by 10 bucks--which will more than cover the multi-discounted monthly for the 2nd Series3 I will put in it's place. The one additional outlet fee I was already paying for their DVR will not change.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #226
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie
Chuckle ... good question.

Cox says 'Cox's "Digital Gateway" service consists of an interactive programming
guide and Music Choice, a forty-channel audio service' and that 'subscribers must purchase a "Digital Gateway" service as a condition to receiving any digital services'.
http://sec.edgar-online.com/2005/03/...4/Section2.asp

Others say it's a violation of tier buy-through prohibitions and a way to enforce tier buy-through (and per-outlet) charges and have complained to the FCC about it:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-04-897A1.pdf
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA414415.html
http://www.natoa.org/public/articles...CSR_6313-B.pdf
etc.
dt_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #227
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
Others say it's a violation of tier buy-through prohibitions and a way to enforce tier buy-through (and per-outlet) charges and have complained to the FCC about it:
[...]
While I am not defending Cox, everything I have read said that cable rate regulation is for BASIC cable only. The entries I looked at that you pointed to all talked about basic cable plus add-ons ... if it's not basic cable, then the FCC has no authority (I admit, the whole "buy-through" thing is a bit confusing to me). Clearly if you're using the Series 3 with cablecards, you're not just getting basic cable.

My complaint to my local franchising authority was based on Cox not applying their stated rates consistantly (two outlet fees for one television).
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #228
jcaudle

its a rip-off for the digital gateway fee, which is charging you for 2 outlets....between the price of the S3 and the cox charges here in fairfax is why I haven't bought the S3...I will muddle along with H10-250 even though over air locals here suck...so I have to use SD satellite broadcast for locals.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #229
nreuben

Smile My cox experience...

Experience with COX Palos Verdeds, CA (LA metro)

Prior to S3 had an HD cable box but no DVR

Got the S3 Wed night, called Cox Thursday AM, had an appt for Saturday

Ordered 2 cable cards, was told net dif to the monthly was 4.95 - no breakdown of detail. Two cards two 39.95 install charges, not negotiable.

No problems with what a cable card was or hassles about ordering them. Told me no VoD, guide, music channels. (However music channels still work with CC.)

Guy shows up, order says 1 card. Fortunately he has two. Lots of back and forth with the phone support end gets the cards registered and the channels loaded.

The guy had done some CC installs before, but the back end seemed to be unsure of the actual steps. Also the process requests brand of device - no pick for Tivo, so goes in as the TV - Sony.

Unfortunately the premium channels not showing up on one card. Odd, as the non-premium HD channels are working. Looks like a config problem, but he says card may also be suspect, but needs to get a new one. "I'll be back..." - Had my doubts, but 2 hours later he's back with a new card, which after registration resolved the problem.

Waiting for the bill to see what I really got charged for...

But otherwise pleased with the outcome - strong signal, excellent picture, even on the SD cable channels, better than the box.
nreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #230
OrangeKid

I am in HD Nirvana. I had two cable cards installed in my new S3 by Cox today here in Vegas. The install went without a hitch but required a few tries. After four years of HD I finally have an integrated DVR for HD and SD. The last two years I have had a SA 8300HD but I only used it for HD and digital broadcasts. I continued to use my S2 for analog SD. Finally everything is nicely integrated.

One question for the experts. What are the little square rods next to each cable card. One of them is all the way in, and on my second cable card it is sticking out. I started to push it in but the cable card started to come out. What should I do. Both cable cards are working as expected.

i purchased an upgraded S3. I can hear the 750GB drive. While loading the data from Tivo it was very noticeable. Now, a few hours later, it seems a lot quieter. I hope it is not annoying.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #231
XBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid
...What are the little square rods next to each cable card...
They're for extracting the cards; if you have a notebook PC with PC Card (PCMCIA) card slots, it probably has a similar mechanism for popping the cards out. As for whether you can just push the one sticking out in and pop the card out and back in again, I would think you could without ill effect--but I've never done it before. If you do it and the Strip goes dark or the Earth stops turning you'll be sorry
Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #232
OrangeKid

"As for whether you can just push the one sticking out in and pop the card out and back in again, I would think you could without ill effect--but I've never done it before. If you do it and the Strip goes dark or the Earth stops turning you'll be sorry "

I think I will will leave well enough alone!
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #233
craigo
Broncos Fan

So, I called Cox in Phoenix today to get some pricing since pricing seems to be all over the place. The 1st CSR said that the CC's won't be available for the S3 until Feb/Mar. I assured him that they are available now and asked if he could speak to his supervisor. He said "sure", then...click...

So I called back to CSR #2 and think she gave me a pretty good deal:

One time fee of $9.95 + tax (forgot what she said this is for)
One time fee of $15,00 + tax for HD Fee
HD Package along with phone and internet- $112 per month including tax
$12.95 extra for HBO

Comparing to some other deals I've seen, this sounds pretty good. She also said I will receive 40 or so Music Channels which I didn't think were available. Maybe that has changed.

Is this a pretty good deal?
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #234
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Sounds Like:

http://www.cox.com/Arizona/digitalhomepak.asp
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #235
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo
So, I called Cox in Phoenix today to get some pricing since pricing seems to be all over the place. The 1st CSR said that the CC's won't be available for the S3 until Feb/Mar. I assured him that they are available now and asked if he could speak to his supervisor. He said "sure", then...click...

So I called back to CSR #2 and think she gave me a pretty good deal:

One time fee of $9.95 + tax (forgot what she said this is for)
One time fee of $15,00 + tax for HD Fee
HD Package along with phone and internet- $112 per month including tax
$12.95 extra for HBO

Comparing to some other deals I've seen, this sounds pretty good. She also said I will receive 40 or so Music Channels which I didn't think were available. Maybe that has changed.

Is this a pretty good deal?
You don't have to pay the 'HD Fee' unless you get their STB.

I wouldn't bet on the pricing they quoted you. I have that same triple-play deal which is $99 + hardware. What they don't quote you is the 'digital gateway' fees. The only Cox equipment I have is the two cable cards and the standard digital + 1 (Variety in my case) tier. The HD is included with ANY digital package subscription, but they do need to specificly provision your cablecards for the HD channels.

My $99 + 2 cable cards somehow equals $118/mo. Add HBO and you're looking at $130/mo.

See if you can talk them into a free install . I caught a promotion and dodged the $30ish/ea fee for cablecard installs.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #236
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
My $99 + 2 cable cards somehow equals $118/mo. Add HBO and you're looking at $130/mo.
So my pricing isn't to for off from yours. Does the $130/mo include the tax/fees? She also said that In Demand should be coming at the beginning of next year. What about Music Channels. Do you receive them?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #237
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo
So my pricing isn't to for off from yours. Does the $130/mo include the tax/fees? She also said that In Demand should be coming at the beginning of next year. What about Music Channels. Do you receive them?
Yes that includes all taxes etc.

I do get the music channels. MTVHD was a plesant suprise. It reminds me of RaveHD on Voom. I was happy to get ESPNHD w/o the sports tier too.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #238
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc

Cox says 'Cox's "Digital Gateway" service consists of an interactive programming
guide and Music Choice, a forty-channel audio service' and that 'subscribers must purchase a "Digital Gateway" service as a condition to receiving any digital services'.
http://sec.edgar-online.com/2005/03/...4/Section2.asp

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-04-897A1.pdf
http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA414415.html
http://www.natoa.org/public/articles...CSR_6313-B.pdf
etc.
I kind of thought the answers would be all over the place.

You know what they say, "if it smells like a duck..."
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #239
moyekj

Just got my November Cox bill and can confirm the cable bill went down by $9.43/month. Charges here in Cox, Orange County CA for 2 CableCards for Tivo S3 (with no Cox digital box in the house anymore):
$1.49 additional outlet fee (for 2nd CC - I guess I'm OK with this)
2 * $1.99 for CableCard rentals

By returning the Cox DVR I save:
-$4.95 DVR Service fee
-$9.95 DVR rental

=> net change of -$9.43/month

For those in other markets paying "digital gateway" fees it sounds like a ripoff.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #240
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
Yes that includes all taxes etc.

I do get the music channels. MTVHD was a plesant suprise. It reminds me of RaveHD on Voom. I was happy to get ESPNHD w/o the sports tier too.

Sweet....Just bought the S3 and need to call Cox back to schedule the install....Can't wait!