TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
ChuckyBox

Mysterious backdoor code

I was trying to set 30-second skip one day, but I must have pushed a wrong button in the sequence (I was doing it one-handed). I ended up with a very interesting and potentially useful display across the bottom of the screen. It showed something like this:

Tuner 1: 44 Tuner 2: 502 (LIVE) [some other info that I forget]

Where the numbers showed what channel each tuner was tuned to. I'm not sure about the "LIVE" but it was something that indicated the tuner that was currently "in front" (i.e., being shown on live TV). The display also showed info about what was being played back, but I forget the format.

Anyway, this could be useful for diagnosing some problems or just for information. It went away when the box rebooted.

I'm not eager to start punching a lot of random codes into my remote to try to discover the code, but those of you who find this kind of thing interesting, and are more adventurous than I, might want to try to find it. As I said, the basic sequence was pretty close to the sps30s code.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

I wonder if they have the SPS code for showing resolution and bit rates? That was great, briefly, on DirecTV, when we all learned that they were downrezzing the HD by 33%. Not that it was great they were downrezzing...

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
I wonder if they have the SPS code for showing resolution and bit rates? That was great, briefly, on DirecTV, when we all learned that they were downrezzing the HD by 33%. Not that it was great they were downrezzing...
I believe the display also showed the resolution -- though you can get that on the info screen, too.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

You can get the "advertised" resolution, but not the actual resolution. For example, 1080i is 1920x1080, but DirecTV "1080i" is 1280x1080, a 33% reduction.

It's very useful to see the actual resolution.

I can't find whatever code you used - any ideas?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
jfh3

What was the old HR10-250 code?

(And thanks Chucky, I spend about 90 minutes trying to figure out this code, with no luck )
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
greg_burns
Now in HD

Anybody ever see this one before? S-P-S-7-S

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=122090

Here is the mystery code...

S-P-S-InstantReplay-S

Last edited by greg_burns : 10-31-2006 at 12:02 AM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
rodalpho

I would LOVE it if SPS7S let you adjust the overscan. Particularly if it saved the settings by resolution, so I could overscan further on 720x480i SD. That would be awesome.

Any other S3 backdoor codes? I'd like to see suggestions in the todo list also.
rodalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
S-P-S-InstantReplay-S
Yeah, just found that, too. A word of caution though -- like it's S2 counterpart (which I just read about), the display does not go away when you toggle it off. You need to go to a menu (e.g., push the TiVo button) and then it will be gone from live TV or playback.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
jfh3

Yup, S-P-S-InstantReplay-S was the one I was thinking about.

But that doesn't look like the one Chucky saw.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
But that doesn't look like the one Chucky saw.
It does when you go to live TV. He's in playback there. It says "FOCUS" not "LIVE," and it tells you which is recording, etc., when watching live TV.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 AM   #11
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
It does when you go to live TV. He's in playback there. It says "FOCUS" not "LIVE," and it tells you which is recording, etc., when watching live TV.
Cool. Looks like FOCUS indicates which input is actually displayed.

Good stuff. Too bad it doesn't show the associated cable card.

So, how in the world did you hit replay instead of 3 0 ?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
So, how in the world did you hit replay instead of 3 0 ?
All I can figure is that I started with SPS, then either dropped the remote or was slow to get to the 30, so I hit replay (so as not to miss the beginning of the show while I pushed buttons), and then started again with SPS30S.

So I thought I was doing:
SPS -- command aborted
Replay -- to back up
SPS30S -- to set the skip

But I did:
SPS-Replay-S -- setting the status toggle
PS30S -- which did nothing

So 30-sec skip didn't work, and I thought I must have made a mistake in the last 6 button pushes, but the mistake came earlier.

At least that's my working theory.

I will be interesting to see if input 0 and input 1 are always linked to the same cablecards for everyone. We should be able to figure that out, and I think it will be useful in diagnosing certain problems.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
skiguy32

Ok I found this thread while looking for the 30sec skip code and then I noticed the other 2 codes but not sure what their purpose really is. They kinda look like something that tech guy would use to trouble shoot issues.

The codes:

SPS30S = Skip commercials ,which is a great code!

SPSInstantReplayS = puts some weird text at the bottom of the screen that says "Mode: Live ll Input 0: Live 68 ll Input 1: Live 67 Focus ll Output's Source: 720x480i@29.970fps/4:3 (and it changes to something else when i change the channel)

SPS7S = puts some weird graph on the screen and is really annoying. Luckly you just enter the code again to take it away.

The 30 sec skip code is the only good code I think I like. Are there anymore I can try that does something cool (and useful to normal people)?
skiguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #14
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy32 View Post
Ok I found this thread while looking for the 30sec skip code and then I noticed the other 2 codes but not sure what their purpose really is. They kinda look like something that tech guy would use to trouble shoot issues.

The codes:

SPSInstantReplayS = puts some weird text at the bottom of the screen that says "Mode: Live ll Input 0: Live 68 ll Input 1: Live 67 Focus ll Output's Source: 720x480i@29.970fps/4:3 (and it changes to something else when i change the channel)

SPS7S = puts some weird graph on the screen and is really annoying. Luckly you just enter the code again to take it away.

The 30 sec skip code is the only good code I think I like. Are there anymore I can try that does something cool (and useful to normal people)?
SPS7S is used to adjust your TV's picture, so it fits uniformly on the screen. You put the "arrows" evenly into the corners.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy32 View Post

The codes:

Don't forget SPS9S to display the clock, and

SPS (Pause)S to speed up the progress bar at the bottom and,

NPL-0-ThumbDown to see list of networked TiVos
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
caughey

Thanks for resurrecting this thread...there were a couple of cool codes I hadn't tried before.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Why aren't all of these various codes compiled and stickied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Don't forget SPS9S to display the clock, and
I wish I knew about that code before I got stuck paying an extra $3.99/month for my clock. j/k
TiVo Mini

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #18
TexasGrillChef

There's also a code to remove the "Advert" permantely (until reboot) that appears at the bottom above the "progress bar" everytime it comes up.

I can't remember that one. Does anyone know it? I had used it before. But now since the "reboot" it has come back.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef View Post
There's also a code to remove the "Advert" permantely (until reboot) that appears at the bottom above the "progress bar" everytime it comes up.

I can't remember that one. Does anyone know it? I had used it before. But now since the "reboot" it has come back.

TGC
SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-PAUSE-SELECT
Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
teasip

I thought that one was to speed up the disappearance of the progress bar (S-Pl-S-Pa-S)?
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
If only there was a way to search a website or the Internet. j/k
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Like this? http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...72#post1251272

(Old as dirt though)
Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:

I wish I knew about that code before I got stuck paying an extra $3.99/month for my clock. j/k
You can get a lifetime sub on that clock for only $99, but it is only good for the life of the clock on that particular box. And when the clock finally runs its useful life and disappears, you have to get another sub if you want it back. The clock is only transferable when you pay a $49 transfer fee to a new box (and then it is no longer on the old box).

Hope that helps.
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #24
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-PAUSE-SELECT
That didn't make it go away that just makes the "progress" bar go away really fast, not the advert bar that shows up above the progress bar.

Last edited by TexasGrillChef : 04-08-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
You can get a lifetime sub on that clock for only $99, but it is only good for the life of the clock on that particular box. And when the clock finally runs its useful life and disappears, you have to get another sub if you want it back. The clock is only transferable when you pay a $49 transfer fee to a new box (and then it is no longer on the old box).

Hope that helps.
I was talking about the extra cablecard I have to rent for my clock.
TiVo Mini

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
911medic

The only way I know of to get rid of the advert above the progress bar is to hit the down arrow. You could program a Harmony to send that code every time pause is pressed, but I don't remember a specific code for it.
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
bkdtv

Quote:
Most are listed in the stickied TivoHD FAQ. Search on codes.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Most are listed in the stickied TivoHD FAQ. Search on codes.
I Tried searching on "Codes" and you end up with about 30 threads that have nothing to do with backdoor codes. But have the word "CODE" in some post.

If you seach for on posts... even this post that I am posting right now would come up in your search for "Codes". Thats the problem with searches. To find only what you really want, you have to know what to search on. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of BS that you have you so cypher through.

One of the biggest reasons I can't stand search engines! LOL

TGC

P.S. I am trying to find the backdoor code that removed the advert bar above the progress bar. Other than hitting the down arrow key everytime the progress bar comes up. I knew what it was & used it before. However it has gone away. I have tried searching for "codes" and get a list about 50 threads, or about 5,000 posts that have the word code in it. Tried searching for "Advert Codes" nothing,

Any ideas what words I should search for? Or does anyone know the code that I am looking for? What would you even call that code?

Last edited by TexasGrillChef : 04-16-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #29
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

There's a stickied post in the TiVo Underground forum that I posted a link to earlier in this thread.

I think what you want is the "S-P-S-Pause-S - Toggles the fast disappear of the Play bar"
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #30
hoyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
SPS7S is used to adjust your TV's picture, so it fits uniformly on the screen. You put the "arrows" evenly into the corners.
Can this be used to have the tivo move / scale picture? My really old 27" LCD has some horrible overscan and has no way to fix it. I was hoping I could use this to fix it?
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote