TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Making permanent the clock and timer in lower right corner

I've searched all over for how to make this permanent but didn't find it. I know that one presses S-P-S-9-S to enable the clock and the timer, but when the unit reboots, one has to re-enter the code.

Was this posted somewhere, maybe using different terminology? Maybe that's why I couldn't find it.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:11 AM   #2
puffdaddy

You don't mention what version of software you're running, but it probably doesn't matter as I don't believe that anyone has determined a patch location to default this SPS code to on.

Might be a good project for you to try, it will require some disassembly of tivoapp and you could code up a superpatch like tcl file as well.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
JWThiers
Smartypants

Big Grin

While your at it could you look into the 78 code and how to make it permanent?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

What's that do?

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
What's that do?
Explained here with a screen shot.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy
You don't mention what version of software you're running, but it probably doesn't matter as I don't believe that anyone has determined a patch location to default this SPS code to on.

Might be a good project for you to try, it will require some disassembly of tivoapp and you could code up a superpatch like tcl file as well.
FWIW, it'd be nice to have it available on 6.3a for the HR10-250s, as well as 6.2 and 4.01b for the HDVR2s.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

On the preferences page in Hackman, you have the option to set the clock and timer at boot.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
MikeMar
Go Pats

All those S-P-S and so on codes all get reset at reboot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon
On the preferences page in Hackman, you have the option to set the clock and timer at boot.
I see. With 6.3a, however, I don't think hackman is possible if the unit's been Zippered. Is this correct?

Regardless, if it's in hackman, then there's got to be a way to manually do the patch on Zippered units and other units not using hackman.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
alert5

"All those S-P-S and so on codes all get reset at reboot"

S-P-S-3-0-S does not if you are superpatched.
alert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I see. With 6.3a, however, I don't think hackman is possible if the unit's been Zippered. Is this correct?

Regardless, if it's in hackman, then there's got to be a way to manually do the patch on Zippered units and other units not using hackman.
Hackman won't do it on 6.3a anyway -- Hackman requires sendkey to reset the codes, and sendkey doesn't work on 6.x/7.x.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

So much for that idea, huh?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
cheer
Registered Offender

Only way to do it will be a tivoapp patch, which requires someone with the appropriate skills to disassemble tivoapp and find the location (and correct value). I'm guessing nobody with that skill set cares enough to do the work. The alternative would be to write a substitute -- a daemon or script run via cron that uses text2osd or whatever.
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Well, on the bright side, Chris: the clock timer can help one realize when their TIVO rebooted last, because if the clock and timer are absent, then you know that your unit rebooted. Just reset the clock and timer, and when they next disappear, you'll know again you rebooted.

I like to know when my unit rebooted so I can adjust the banner size, but that's just me.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
cheer
Registered Offender

You mean not everyone gets SMS messages on their cell phones when one of their Tivos reboots?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #16
Scott D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer
You mean not everyone gets SMS messages on their cell phones when one of their Tivos reboots?

I do. It tells me exactly when this reboot happened.
Scott D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #17
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer

That's going a bit too far. Some of us actually have lives and aren't complete dorks.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #18
rbautch
User

Quote:
That's going a bit too far. Some of us actually have lives and aren't complete dorks.
...says the guy with the Darth Vader doll on his night stand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #19
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

No Darth Vader doll here. Just a lifesize (meaning 7') Vader watching over me from his position in the living room.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #20
danny7481
Tivo Addict

i get a SMS message when my tivo starts recording and what its recording.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
No Darth Vader doll here. Just a lifesize (meaning 7') Vader watching over me from his position in the living room.
And you call me a dork over SMS messages? I mean, I have a lot of computing crap and electronics crap running around here, but no life-size figures of anything...
Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Then that's your problem, isn't it?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #23
Markman07

Funniest thread I have read in months!

Inventory to Follow....

1 HR10-250 (Zippered - Thanks Gunny)
2 Directivo Series 2 (Zippered - Hey Gunny...Thanks)
1 HR20 - Like it but locks up too much)
Score Tivo 3 - Other HD DVR 1
Markman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #24
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
This is probably going to end up being like pissing in the wind. But has anybody called your attention to the fact that a 7' Vader, is just a BIG doll?
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #25
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

No. And just because for good luck I rub his nose every morning on the way out doesn't mean he's a big doll, either.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
rbautch
User

Is this doll anatomically correct?

or

Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #27
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Why? Are you interested in checking?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:11 AM   #28
rbautch
User

clock.sh

Ok, that last post shocked me back on topic. Here is a script that will generate a permanent and attractive clock in the upper right corner of your screen. To run it you need to have out2osd installed, and your tivo must be connected to the internet (to dowload a small good-looking font). To install it, FTP it anywhere on your tivo and run it, then reboot. I tweaked the out2osd settings pretty well, but if you want to adjust them further, edit them in your author file. It's not perfect - it runs out2osd continuously, and spawns multiple duplicate processes which can use up to 7% of your CPU.
Attached Files
File Type: zip clock.zip (1.0 KB, 18 views)

or

Last edited by rbautch : 10-28-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #29
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Ok, that last post shocked me back on topic. Here is a script that will generate a permanent and attractive clock in the upper right corner of your screen. To run it you need to have out2osd installed, and your tivo must be connected to the internet (to dowload a small good-looking font). To install it, FTP it anywhere on your tivo and run it, then reboot. I tweaked the out2osd settings pretty well, but if you want to adjust them further, edit them in your author file. It's not perfect - it runs out2osd continuously, and spawns multiple duplicate processes which can use up to 7% of your CPU.

Russ,
now if you could include the date along with the clock then it would be so great
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 AM   #30
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
Russ,
now if you could include the date along with the clock then it would be so great
OK, I can understand someone wanting to get the time from their TV screen, but the date. Man, you gotta get out more!
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote