TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
fredtwd

Official Adelphia CableCard Thread.

Thought I'd start an Adelphia CableCard thread. You can find information about Adelphia CableCard problems so far in:

threadid 316143
titled "Adelphia refusing to install CableCARDs in S3 TiVO"

(sorry this is my first post and I cannot post a URL until after my fifth post).

It's T - 15-135 minutes until my install person is suppose to be here with my CableCards. I'll post an update later on.

Best of luck to all new Adelphia S3 owners.
fredtwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
bbwebb

I had my Cable Cards installed this past Tuesday without any significant issues. The installer was here about 90 minutes trying to activate the cards but they finally figured it out. If the installer or dispatch give you any problems ask them to conference in Video Ops. One of the techs from Video Ops was the one who finally figured out how to authorize my cards and he mentioned that his manager sent an email out about a week ago to give everyone a heads up that the S3 was on it's way.

Good Luck
Bill
bbwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
generaltso

This is for Burlington, VT:
My Adelphia guy was here yesterday. I had to tell him 3 or 4 times that both cable cards were for the same device before he finally got it. Installing the cable cards went fine, but after the installer called the office and had them activated, I wasn't getting all the channels. Apparently, after activation, they have to send a code to the cards to tell them what channels you subscribe to. Nobody in the office new how to do that, so the installer started calling other people at Adelphia. After 5 calls, he finally got somebody who knew how to do it. After the installer was on the phone for about an hour, they finally got it all worked out. Everything works great now.

They charged $25 for the trip and the cable cards are $1.75/mo for the first one and $3.75/mo for the second one. Not sure about the reasoning behind charging more for the second.

Last edited by generaltso : 09-24-2006 at 06:49 AM.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
rubendn

This post is for Adelphia in Miami (Kendall), FL which is transitioning over to Comcast.

I had no problems placing the order for two cable cards (even while telling them it was for an S3). Both times I did call the first thing they did ask me when I inquired about the cable cards was: "Do you know the disadvantages of using a cable card?" I said yes and left it at that.

Two techs showed up this morning. They had no idea what the S3 was and said they have never seen one nor been trained on it.

We inserted both cable cards into the S3 and they called in the HOST ID and CARD ID's to their tech center. The first card in Slot 1 started working right away. The card in Slot 2 would not work. After about 45 minutes they decided to try a third card that they had but had no luck again. They told me they were going to have to schedule a higher level technician to come out. Their center told me that I had to call TIVO to find out what was the problem.

I called TIVO and they weren't any help. They basically told me it is the cable companies problem not theirs.

I called Adelphia customer service and they realized the tech had missed one number on the Host ID. She entered the correct ID and resent the signal but it still did not work. The only thing that changed was on the status screen it now says that it is activated but the PowerKey Status shows "WAITING FOR EMMs" which they had no idea what thatwas. Customer Service said they would have to send out another Tech next Saturday with a new cable card that it probably was a defective CC.

Using it with 1 CC until next Saturday.
rubendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
generaltso

From what I could gather from my install, "Waiting for EMMs" means that they've activated the card, but they haven't sent the signal that tells the card which channels your subscribe to.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
fredtwd

This post is for Londonderry, NH.

First comment is that I was not charged for the call to have the CableCards installed. I had seen another post that said there was a service charge (althought the tech said that when the change over to Comcast, that will likely change).

The install went without a hitch. The tech was here for a little less than one hour.

When he walked in it was clear he had never seen nor heard of the Series 3. He was very confused by the fact that I had the series 3 and a cable box hooked up (keep it for VOD for now). He looked at the back to see how it was hooked up (which is a rats nest, although I tried very hard not to let it become so). He thought the series 3 was hooked up directly to the TV and I tried to explain that everything goes into my A/V receiver and from there, one cable goes to the TV.

He kept saying "I don't think its going to work the way you think it will." I told him I did a lot of research and to install the Cards. He was a very nice guy, but did not understand what I had. My crappy SA 8300HD DVR was sitting on my chair disconnected and he was telling how good they are. I tried to explain why they are inferior (e.g. searching for a show and having to know the date and the alphabetical listing, the issues around trying to watch a show that has already started to record). He did not get it and I stopped trying to explain it.

Just a quick note. I hooked it up the night before the install with the cable going straight into the S3. I was worried based on a post that this would effect a smooth install of the CableCards as I had already gone throught the Setup. It did not. I wanted to make sure I had the Software Update before the tech came out. I had to force a couple of connections to Tivo before I got it (the 1st downloaded the full guide and the following one got the update -- I believe when I called right back after the guide update, that I did not get the system update, I had to wait a little and try again).

Best of luck to all.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
fredtwd

Just an update... the CableCards worked great from Sat noon until sometime Monday after 8:30am (the last show recorded). When I turned on the Tivo tonight at 8:00pm, both CableCards were showing grey screens. Testing the channels, all I was getting the the local public access channels. I called 888 number and got a not-so-friendly person, she sent signals to the CableCards, but no go. Had me reboot the Tivo and no go. Then set up an appointment for sometime Monday between 8am-5pm!

I checked it at 9:30pm and both cards are working again. Any ideas why this happened? I forced the software update prior to the CableCard install, so that would not have triggered it.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Cloud

Glad to hear that!!! I'm in Essex VT and having them come install my CC's on Wed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
This is for Burlington, VT:
My Adelphia guy was here yesterday. I had to tell him 3 or 4 times that both cable cards were for the same device before he finally got it. Installing the cable cards went fine, but after the installer called the office and had them activated, I wasn't getting all the channels. Apparently, after activation, they have to send a code to the cards to tell them what channels you subscribe to. Nobody in the office new how to do that, so the installer started calling other people at Adelphia. After 5 calls, he finally got somebody who knew how to do it. After the installer was on the phone for about an hour, they finally got it all worked out. Everything works great now.

They charged $25 for the trip and the cable cards are $1.75/mo for the first one and $3.75/mo for the second one. Not sure about the reasoning behind charging more for the second.

Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
rubendn

Update to above thread...

The one card that was working stopped working at about 11 am on Sunday. It now says upgrading CableCard Firmware. It has said this for 36 hours. They resent the signal a couple of times and rebooted numerous times.

Had to setup another appt for Saturday to replace both CableCards.

To top it off, I lost some of the high def channels through my Cable Company HD DVR.

Frustrating...
rubendn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
generaltso

Nice to see a fellow Vermonter in here Cloud! I'm actually in Colchester.

Just make sure that you check a good sampling of your channels on both tuners before the Adelphia guy leaves. The local office knows how to activate the cards, but they don't really know how to send the EMM signals to the cards that unlock the encrypted channels. He may have to keep calling different people before he finds somebody who even knows what that means. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Greeby
Clueless Loser

The cable tech just called to say he was on the way.

I am in Miramar, FL.

Pray for me.
Greeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Greeby
Clueless Loser

Well...strike one...

Tech shows up with 1 card for a 4 card install. Calls his boss who knows about the Series 3. Boss goes on and on about how cable cards don't work and he doubts that this guy can get them working....

Anyway he just went to pick up 3 more cards.

Sux 2 B me
Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
Greeby
Clueless Loser

So after 5 grueling hours and 4 techs later...I have 2 cards working in one box and one out of 2 in the other.

The conditional access screen on the non working card shows "unknown". I'm guessing they typed in a wrong number somewhere in the set-up.

Tech is scheduled for Thursday to "fix" the non-working card.

sigh...
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
Cloud

My installers showed up.... I handed them the directions. Install on our end took less then 5 min. The head office took 30 more min to figure out how to activate them. Both cards up and working in under 40 min after they made a few phone calls. All channels working fine..... The boys from the truck had never seen a CC TiVo before. It took a while for the lady in the head office to hand the phone to a guy that had done a TiVo before that knew what he was doing.

Oh, It was Adelphia but Comcast guys showed up to do the install since they bought Adelphia out.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
ashu
User title defunct

I'm itching to do this, but can't afford an S3 yet (yeah, woe is me)

My local Adelphia office has stacks of Cable Cards lying around (front office fellow's words, not confirmed by me!) and would be happy to hand me "up to two" to self-install. $1.75 pm each.

Would anyone like to donate to the 'help-ashu-buy-an-S3-so-he-can-test-NoVA-Adelphia-CableCards-fund'?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #16
Laggan

Thumbs up

It wasn't bad at all. The tech came out and, while he had never seen a device that took two cable cards, he seemed quite confident that it wouldn't be a problem. He first checked out all of the cable in the house, starting with the main entry location. He replaced several connectors, a ground box, etc. and ran a short new run of wire to replace a bit that he said was not up to current specs. Then he tested the outlet where the S3 would be hooked up to be sure it had a strong signal.

I had spent quite a bit of time in these forums and so I had added a set of notes to the back of the installer's instructions describing the most common things that had caused problems for other installers. He was quite sharp and took that all to heart and then we went through the instructions together and installed the first card. He activated it and it seemed to work (jumped straight to an HD channel to test it), so we installed the second card. It also worked on HD.

It wasn't all perfect, though. I had to run through the guided setup to really test it out and he couldn't wait around while I did, so he gave me his cell phone number and said to call if there were any problems. After guided setup, it turned out that there were problems. The regular bottom 99 channels worked, and regular network HD channels worked, but none of the digital channels or HD Plus worked.

I called him and he was great. I had mentioned earlier that one person here said the video ops people at Adelphia knew something about getting these things activated properly, so he called them and worked it all out. The cable cards apparently still had some programming in them from the last user and they were able to send through the corrections over the cable without another visit. He called me on my cell phone and said it should all work and, when I got home, it did.

That was only yesterday, but so far, so good. Everything's working exactly as it should and the S3 is happily recording my HD shows. All in all, it was a pretty painless experience.
Laggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
generaltso

Cloud (or anyone else in the Vermont Adelphia area), can you get audio from the following channels?

111 - Fuse
120 - National Geographic
123 - DIY
163 - Lifetime Movies
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #18
ashu
User title defunct

Thanks Laggan ... this gives me hope!

I stopped by my local AdelCast office today, and notwithstanding the Adelphia signs, the lady behind the counter insisted the CableCard policy had changed (what with Comcast reworking the system) and required a truck run, with a waiting list of only two days. And all but promised to waive the $25 truck run fee since I had previously been promised a no-charge installation (really, an over-the-counter pickup, which they no longer allow).

Could you PM me your location with a tinier bit more accuracy? I'm in Loudoun county.

FWIW, I was told cable boxes and HD DVRs could still be over-the-counter-ed. Maybe I'll just get another 6412.

NOT!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
tazzmission

I figured I'd put this in this thread to see if I can get some help.

Here is my thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=322630

The Adelphia technician left my house after about 2 hours of trying to get my SA CC's to work 100%.

He got them both activated pretty fast over the phone.

The CRS was a little weirded out by having two CC's in one box. She kept asking for the TV model I have. We kept telling her that the TV does not matter as the CC's are going in a TiVo. She kept saying that our TiVo's don't need CC's.

Whatever, she thinks the SA 8300 is a TiVo.

Anyway. All my channels work except for the HD preminum package channels. I get my HD locals and HBO HD just fine. It is the rest of the channels that don't tune in (just a black screen)

The tech told me to call Adelphia and tell them to look into it. I did that and the CSR said that he will send a tech out tomorrow.

I don't think there is anything for the tech to do but call a CSR and have them hit the cards again.

What should I do?
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #20
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzmission
I figured I'd put this in this thread to see if I can get some help.

Here is my thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=322630

The Adelphia technician left my house after about 2 hours of trying to get my SA CC's to work 100%.

He got them both activated pretty fast over the phone.

The CRS was a little weirded out by having two CC's in one box. She kept asking for the TV model I have. We kept telling her that the TV does not matter as the CC's are going in a TiVo. She kept saying that our TiVo's don't need CC's.

Whatever, she thinks the SA 8300 is a TiVo.

Anyway. All my channels work except for the HD preminum package channels. I get my HD locals and HBO HD just fine. It is the rest of the channels that don't tune in (just a black screen)

The tech told me to call Adelphia and tell them to look into it. I did that and the CSR said that he will send a tech out tomorrow.

I don't think there is anything for the tech to do but call a CSR and have them hit the cards again.

What should I do?

Give it a day or so ... many folks' channels (in other Cable provider threads, of course) just automagically showed up in a couple of days!

Did Adelpiha charge you for a truck run/installation?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #21
tazzmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Give it a day or so ... many folks' channels (in other Cable provider threads, of course) just automagically showed up in a couple of days!

Did Adelpiha charge you for a truck run/installation?
No charge for the truck run. I got the channels fine for a few days. Now today they are gone again. I have an appoinment for my second S3 CC install set for tomorrow. I asked them to bring more CC's to test the first S3 that is having issues. I called TiVo on this too. They asked me to have Adelphia try new CC's and re-provision my CC's and if that does not fix the issue to call back and RMA the S3 for a new one.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #22
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Finally got the notification that Comcast is taking over Adelphia here... starting with the cable channels on October 31st.

What would be the best way to handle this with the cable cards? Is it as simple as doing another guided setup?

Is there any way to be sure that TiVo has the correct guide data?
cheerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #23
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
Finally got the notification that Comcast is taking over Adelphia here... starting with the cable channels on October 31st.

What would be the best way to handle this with the cable cards? Is it as simple as doing another guided setup?

Is there any way to be sure that TiVo has the correct guide data?

I *imagine* it would be completely transparent to CableCard users - hope they don't plan to do a truck run and reinstall at their expense for every CC TV && TiVo-owning customer! Watch and see, and contact them IF you have issues.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #24
fchamber

CC Install Scheduled--Stupid Question

I got my S3 yesterday, and have CC install scheduled for tomorrow with AdelCast. Before they get here, I have a stupid question. I set up the box last night to use cable w/o cablecard, and it works fine for the basic cable channels. But when I try tuning to the HD channels, it not only refuses to tune to them, but tunes to another channel instead. For example, if I tune to channel 770, it thinks for a second and then puts me on channel 2. 771 goes to channel 3, etc. (Oddly, this behavior starts right at 770, the first HD channel I should be getting--it tries to tune to 769 and below when I enter them.) I don't expect to actually get those channels w/o the CC's, but shouldn't it try rather than moving to another channel? Will installing CC's automatically change this behavior somehow? My worry is that I won't be able to test the CC's without going through guided setup, which I'm guessing the tech isn't going to want to wait for.

FWIW, I'm in Vermont in the Burlington area--there are a few posts here from folks nearby--did any of you have similar issues before getting your cablecards, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks,

FC
fchamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #25
generaltso

Don't worry about that tuning weirdness. I'm in Colchester, and I had the same type of thing happening before I got the cable cards installed. Once the cards were up and running, the channels worked correctly.

Since you're in the Burlington area, you can help us with a problem that we've been seeing with the audio stream on four channels. Check out this thread and please post back once you've got your cable cards installed and can verify if you get sound on the four channels listed (111, 120, 123, & 163).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=320081

I've been working with TiVo and Adelphia to try to remedy this problem. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #26
tazzmission

Quote:
Don't worry about that tuning weirdness. I'm in Colchester, and I had the same type of thing happening before I got the cable cards installed. Once the cards were up and running, the channels worked correctly.

Since you're in the Burlington area, you can help us with a problem that we've been seeing with the audio stream on four channels. Check out this thread and please post back once you've got your cable cards installed and can verify if you get sound on the four channels listed (111, 120, 123, & 163).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=320081

I've been working with TiVo and Adelphia to try to remedy this problem. Thanks!
I don't get sound on 163. I have not tried the other channels, I will tonight. If i can get one of my S3's to actually get those channels to stay.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #27
generaltso

163 may be a different channel in your area. These are the channels that don't have sound for me:

-National Geographic
-Fuse
-DIY
-Lifetime Movies
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #28
tazzmission

Quote:
163 may be a different channel in your area. These are the channels that don't have sound for me:

-National Geographic
-Fuse
-DIY
-Lifetime Movies
For me 163 is Lifetime Movie Network, and I do get sound on those other channels.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #29
fchamber

CC's Installed, Gaaaaa

First, thanks to generaltso--your answer to my question was exactly right. Once the CC's were in, the tivo suddenly did know about channels above 769. In fact, while the installer was here, the tivo was more or less well behaved. We had to have the home office hit the first card twice, but at that point both cards worked with all channels we checked under "Test Channels". Once (if) I get everything working, I'll try to check out the channels you're having trouble with, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them, since I'm on a pretty basic plan with the exception of HD.

Once the installer left, I re-ran guided setup, and now I get a gray screen on EVERY channel--from basic cable all the way up through HD. When I go back into the test channels screen, it's now showing a very limited list of channels, skipping most of basic cable and all of HD, and even there it gray screens everything.

If I go into the "SA CableCard CP Screen" screen (these are SA cards, BTW), I see the following statuses (I edited out the ones that didn't look interesting):

Auth Status: CP Auth Received
Decryption Status: No ECMs detected
PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs
EID: 0x0

That "PowerKey Status", in particular, looks worrisome. Any idea what I need to do here? I'm guessing I need Adelphia to send another signal of some sort to both cards, but does anyone know what I need to ask them to do? It's odd that the cards did seem to work for a few minutes while the installer was here and then they just stopped. Speaking of Adelphia, does anyone have a phone # I can call to get someone who could actually do this? The installer gave the impression that my only choice if I had any problems was to call and make another appointment and have someone come out again.

Thanks,

FChamber
fchamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #30
tazzmission

PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for EMMs

I think that means the codes for premium channels are not being recieved by the CC's.