TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #151
neplokh

FIOS and Series3 in Northern VA / Centreville

Has anyone have FIOS and Tivo Series3 successfully installed in Centreville, VA or anywhere else in Northern VA area? Since last saturday countless number of Verizon techs and supervisors tried including multiple site visits by verizon techs. Results are identical, channels 50 and above don't work. They've tried at least 4 different cable cards and this is a second Tivo (first one exchanged per advice from tivo tech support) I am looking for a name of your tech so I can request them when I call their tech support number. I am this close to calling COX and ordering service from them despite it being $20 more expensive for identical content.
neplokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #152
ashu
User title defunct

Also try the avsforums official Series 3' thread, as well as the 'Washington DC area HDTV' thread. I vaguely remember someone mentioning they had an S3 with CableCards ... but likely from Comcast or Adelphia.

I will soon, but with Adelphia, and I'm eager to confirm FIOS cards work as well (a little North West of you) ... with the FIOS rollout now underway in my 'hood.

Here ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722696

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=517400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #153
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by neplokh
Results are identical, channels 50 and above don't work.
Nothing above 49 works for you? That is different than what I'm getting. Most of my channels DO work, but I identified at least 15 that don't. I stopped counting at 15.

I plan on doing some more troubleshooting tomorrow night since my wife is going to be out of the house for a while. I'll post my results once I have them.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #154
JohnBrowning

Note that the first 50 channels are basic, unencrypted, analog cable. I also had this problem when I first had FiOS installed. The solution was geting a knowledgable support engineer on the phone who knew how to cold init the CableCARD. All has been happy since and I can freely move the CC back and forth between my TV and S3.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #155
mlkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning
Note that the first 50 channels are basic, unencrypted, analog cable. I also had this problem when I first had FiOS installed. The solution was geting a knowledgable support engineer on the phone who knew how to cold init the CableCARD. All has been happy since and I can freely move the CC back and forth between my TV and S3.
Yup, had same problem when they added my second cable card...tech knew to check channel 51 and when it was not there he told the rep on the phone to send a re-init signal (I think that was the term he used) to the card, and that seem to do it.
mlkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #156
TexasAg

Anybody having trouble getting CNN Headline News? It's channel 71 AND channel 520 on Fios. My S3 won't work on either tuner for either channel. The CableCard menu shows that the tuner is tuned to the station.

It should work since it is included in the standard Fios package, and I get all of the surrounding channels. Also, it's not an analog channel and it's happening on two widely spaced channels, so it's not the problem of the missing analog channels some have had. I've confirmed that the Verizon STBs in my house still get it.

This has me stumped - both CNNH channels are missing on 71 and 520, while everything else works.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #157
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

I did some testing tonight and posted the results over at the Broadband Reports site. The contents of my post are below.
----------------------------
Ok, I have some good results to report.

I stopped by Radio Shack and put some terminators on four of the ends of the splitter. I thought the splitter was a 6 way splitter, but was an 8 way.

When checking the signal strength on the Tivo in the main room, it went from the mid 80s to the upper 80s and still pixelated.

I removed one of the terminators and ran a 50 ft cable to the master bedroom and hooked up to the Tivo. SUCCESS!! The signal was between 96 to 98 and no pixelation on the problematic channels.

So at this point, it appears the problems are with the existing cabling in my house. I need to call in to Tech Support and see how much it will cost to have a tech come out and replace the cable from the splitter to behind my tv.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #158
Ilene

Ditto for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
Anybody having trouble getting CNN Headline News? It's channel 71 AND channel 520 on Fios. My S3 won't work on either tuner for either channel. The CableCard menu shows that the tuner is tuned to the station.

It should work since it is included in the standard Fios package, and I get all of the surrounding channels. Also, it's not an analog channel and it's happening on two widely spaced channels, so it's not the problem of the missing analog channels some have had. I've confirmed that the Verizon STBs in my house still get it.

This has me stumped - both CNNH channels are missing on 71 and 520, while everything else works.
I am experiencing the same missing channels 71 and 520. I wonder if it is a North Texas thing or a Fios thing? I would assume this is happening in cableCARD connected TVs too.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #159
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
I am experiencing the same missing channels 71 and 520. I wonder if it is a North Texas thing or a Fios thing? I would assume this is happening in cableCARD connected TVs too.
TexasAg and I have discussed this same problem over on Broadband Reports.

I took one of my CableCards out of my Tivo last night and put it in my TV. The above channels work just fine in my TV, so it is something specific with the Tivo.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #160
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme
TexasAg and I have discussed this same problem over on Broadband Reports.

I took one of my CableCards out of my Tivo last night and put it in my TV. The above channels work just fine in my TV, so it is something specific with the Tivo.
Bad news.

Anybody have any idea why the Tivo would fail to work with both CableCards on two widely-spaced channels (71 and 520) from the same source (CNN Headline News)?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #161
Thos19

I had Fios internet installed in my house in Abington, MA. It blows away Adelphia/Comcast.

My next task: pestering the Town Selectmen into letting Verizon Fios TV !!!!!!

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #162
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Bad news.

Anybody have any idea why the Tivo would fail to work with both CableCards on two widely-spaced channels (71 and 520) from the same source (CNN Headline News)?
[humor]
Does Fox News work? If it does, I'd suggest a Conspiracy Theory!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #163
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
[humor]
Does Fox News work? If it does, I'd suggest a Conspiracy Theory!
We sometimes like to watch Glenn Beck's show (but just sometimes, which is why it's no big loss for me if it never works).
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #164
willettg

TIVO/S3 Channels Not Working

I live in Irving TX, and have had FiOS video service about 5 months, using the Motorola HD DVR. Verizon activated two cable cards in my TiVo/S3 today (fairly smooth process). I am having problems with three channels that work fine with the Moto DVR:

CH 81 - CSPAN3: No audio on TiVo, works fine on Moto

CH 200 - Hallmark Channel: Not working on TiVo, works fine on Moto

CH 520 - CNN Headline News: Not working on TiVo, works fine on Moto. Oddly enough, CH70 for CNN Headline News is working fine.

It appears others are having problems with CH 70/520 - how about 81 and 200? Is this a TiVo S3 problem or a FiOS cablecard problem?
willettg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #165
TexasAg

I can confirm that I am missing channel 200 in addition to channels 71 and 520. I am also missing audio on channel 81.

Very strange stuff.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #166
fox112000

Sorry for posting on this S3 thread, but I'm not sure where else to go. I have 2 Motorola QIP2500-3 boxes, the horrible fios DVR & an S2 Tivo. When I ordered fios, I was assured my Tivo would work fine. Then the tech showed up to install. He told me my Tivo would not work (would only function as a VCR). Not having ever been on any of these tivo forums, I assumed he was right & had a fit! Spent almost 2 hrs on the phone with verizon, while the tech just sat here. He refused to start any work until everything was worked out. Finally verizon decided to give me the DVR free for a yr, since they were now saying my tivo wouldn't work. I thought that was a good compromise until I started using the DVR! It's horrible! And now, the tv that was hooked up to the DVR is fried! It started making some weird popping electrical noises & then sizzled. I disconnected everything & tried just plugging it into the wall, but it just sizzles. Anyone think this could be related to fios/dvr? or just bad luck with the tv?

Anyway, the techs left my house without even attempting to hook up the Tivo on the 2nd tv, and I think he even used some of my Tivo cables for his connections. Needless to say, I can't figure out what's supposed to be hooked up where, & I'm having withdrawl. I've been without the Tivo for a wk now! We had also previously been having Tivo update over the phone, but can now probably just do it through the network. Can anyone tell me exactly how to connect the Motorola QIP2500-3 box with the S2 tivo, & what I need to do on the Tivo end (or at least direct me to some complete instructions), in simple non-tech language? I've been searching for the last few hrs & can only find bits of info here & there. I really don't want to listen to my kids complaining that they're missing sesame street for another day!
Thanks for anyone's help!!
fox112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #167
ashu
User title defunct

fox, I know I'm being lazy here too, but hunt down the remote code thread (maintained by a username that contains the word charles. I think!). That will mention whether/if that Motorola box can even be controlled by TiVo's IR signals. I believe they can.

I don't know if you have any recourse about the fried TV. Was this a Motorola 6412 HD DVR? Connected by an HDMI cable to the TV, I presume?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #168
willettg

Submitted FiOS TV Help Request vz283009nm2

I submitted FiOS TV Help Request vz283009nm2 to report this issue.

Quote:
I can confirm that I am missing channel 200 in addition to channels 71 and 520. I am also missing audio on channel 81.

Very strange stuff.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #169
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willettg
I submitted FiOS TV Help Request vz283009nm2 to report this issue.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if it'll help, though. I don't think it's a Verizon problem since musicforme plugged one of his CableCards into his TV and got channels 71 and 520. That seems to show that this is a Tivo problem.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be a Verizon thing - they have the wrong setting or something, so it's messing up the ability of a DVR to display and record. The fact that it's the same for both copies of CNNH on two different channels might mean that the setting is wrong for CNNH. Still, I have a feeling this is something with the Tivo.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #170
willettg

VZ Says Channel Problem Is TiVo S3 Issue

TexasAg:
Verizon Tier-2 support says this is a known TiVo S3 problem. What's odd is that I can get CNN Headline News on CH71 but not on CH520.

My Sony HDTV has a cable card slot. Can I move one of my S3 cable cards to the Sony TV? Does VZ have to re-activate it if I do? I want to verify the problem is TiVo's and not VZ's. Also, I don't want to pay for another activation fee to move the card.

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm not sure if it'll help, though. I don't think it's a Verizon problem since musicforme plugged one of his CableCards into his TV and got channels 71 and 520. That seems to show that this is a Tivo problem.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be a Verizon thing - they have the wrong setting or something, so it's messing up the ability of a DVR to display and record. The fact that it's the same for both copies of CNNH on two different channels might mean that the setting is wrong for CNNH. Still, I have a feeling this is something with the Tivo.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #171
TexasAg

willettg, musicforme says he has moved his CableCard from the S3 to his TV and back without problem.

I have not tried it due to the difficulty in rotating my TV to get access to the slot (the TV is recessed, and the opening just barely fits the TV without including me next to it). So, I can't verify it, but it sounds like it is OK.

It's weird that it works for you on channel 71. I know channel 71 was not working for us as of last night.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #172
willettg

Definitely A TiVo Problem

I moved one of the cable cards from my TiVo S3 to my Sony HDTV. All of the problems with CH 70, 81, 200, and 520 do NOT exist with the cable card in the Sony TV. So this is definitely a TiVo issue.

BTW, CNN Headline News on CH 70 now does not work (it definitely did before).

I will be submitting a trouble report to Tivo on this.

Quote:
willettg, musicforme says he has moved his CableCard from the S3 to his TV and back without problem.

I have not tried it due to the difficulty in rotating my TV to get access to the slot (the TV is recessed, and the opening just barely fits the TV without including me next to it). So, I can't verify it, but it sounds like it is OK.

It's weird that it works for you on channel 71. I know channel 71 was not working for us as of last night.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:19 AM   #173
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's interesting that people are able to move the cards from one device to another. So much for the cards being "married" to a device. Also makes it even more pointless for them to require a technician to set up.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #174
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
It's interesting that people are able to move the cards from one device to another. So much for the cards being "married" to a device. Also makes it even more pointless for them to require a technician to set up.
Not all cable companies block your ability to do that. They likely will stop working shortly ... if the company can get its act together

Comcast cards usually can't be moved around, and removal-reinsertion requires re-enabling due to the newly created ID (one of them - data?)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #175
willettg

TiVo Says Channel Problem Is Verizon's Issue

I opened a case with TiVo (#5490836) on the issue with I am having with four channels in the TiVo S3:

CH 70 - CNN Headline News: OK in program guide, but no video or audio on TiVo.

CH 81 - CSPAN3: OK in program guide, have video but no audio on TiVo.

CH 200 - Hallmark Channel: OK in program guide, but no video or audio on TiVo.

CH 520 - CNN Headline News (duplicate of CH 70): OK in program guide, but no video or audio on TiVo.

These channels work fine when tuned by the Motorola HD DVR. I individually moved both of my TiVo cable cards to my Sony HDTV, and all four channels work OK on both cards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Called TiVo support today (Sat 11/4/06; talked to "Eric"). He says that I have two bad cable cards and I need to get Verizon to replace them. After that, if the problem still exists, they might escalate the problem to TiVo engineering.

I argued, to no avail, that the fact that both cable cards work in my Sony TV would prove the issue to be TiVo's.

Did I just get an incompetent CSR on my call today, and need to call back?

What am I missing here? Who should be my advocate? Why do I have to be in the middle?

TiVo has just released a (very expensive) product to compete in the CE environment for cable TV. One would think they would jump right on a problem like this, and not leave their customers hanging in the breeze.

Is there any way to get TiVo to listen to me?

Is it a technical possibility this problem is Verizon's and not Tivo's??
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #176
Galway1

Totally Screwed up

FIOS was to come today to install cable cards. They did not show. I pushed them for a visit later in the afternoon. They are coming. BUT- in the course of trying to get service, I talked to their (FIOS) fiber service desk. He said there are serious compatibility issues and that cable cards won't work with TIVO. An email was sent out last week to their reps.

Called TIVO and talked to service rep. She asked around and they told her that 9 of 10 times the cable cards start up ok but then fail. She opened a case file for me and connected me to a higher level tech rep. He, (Bobby) asked his peers if they knew of a problem. All of them said that they have never succeeded in getting cable cards to work with FIOS. NONE.

I have a thousand bucks tied up in this and now it all has to be taken apart and returned. Plus I took time from work to wait for FIOS.

I have loved TIVO since 1999. But am out of the TIVO users until it works as it should.

By the way, I had lifetime TIVO with DirecTV but it does not tranfer over to just the TIVO box. Service rep said that TIVO did not get any money from DirectTV so it will not extend service.

Phooey.

Sorry, this is in Northern Virginia area. And I have phone and internet on FIOS as well as TV. I quit DirectTV when the rain came too many days for my patience.
Galway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #177
TexasAg

So you listened to the Verizon folks who want you to rent their STB/DVR, and you didn't bother looking around to see if other people had gotten their S3 to work with Fios before you returned your S3?

I have an S3 working with Fios almost perfectly. I'm just missing a couple stations that I hardly ever watch.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #178
bkdtv

S3 working perfectly with FiOS in N. VA here.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #179
TomStapes

So, what is the best install plan?

After reading about everyone's experience with FiOS and TiVo S3 (and ignoring some off-topic discussions...), I am now chomping at the bit for FiOS TV. I live in Jersey, and if everything goes well with the State Board of Public Utilities over the next couple of weeks, they should get their state-wide franchise license before the end of the year.

I've got an S2 w/ Lifetime that we are going to transfer over to the S3, but our TV is SD, so I don't have the ability to swap CC's around if there is a problem. I won't be able to say whether the problem is with Verizon or with TiVo.

So, my question - When I place my order, should I order a STB to check for problems for the first month or two, or is that more problematic than it's worth? It might be nice to check out the VOD services as long as it is around...
TomStapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #180
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStapes
So, my question - When I place my order, should I order a STB to check for problems for the first month or two, or is that more problematic than it's worth? It might be nice to check out the VOD services as long as it is around...
I never had this problem (missing channels or missing audio) with the STBs or DVRs from Fios. In fact, I can get channels 71, 81, 200, and 520 properly with the Fios STBs I still have. So, you probably can't check for the problem using them.

I think it's a problem with (i) the CableCards or (ii) the Tivo (or maybe both).

I never really used the VOD stuff except for a few kids' shows. I never really thought highly of it. But hopefully you'll enjoy the Fios TV service as much as I have (and it looks amazing on HDTVs).