Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #31
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod
How does one know whether their cable provider fits the MSO category or not? Is there anywhere that gives an official list?
Well, there probably is a list, but I couldn't find it, either by Googling or by searching the www.fcc.gov Web site.

Quote:
I specifically have Mediacom in Des Moines, Iowa. I'm pretty sure they don't offer cablecards at all though I've not specifically asked them yet. I'm just wondering if I call them and they say they don't offer them at all, do I have any recourse if they do fit in the MSO category?
Mediacom is defintely an MSO. They own cable systems in many places, including Illinois, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

Several years ago, the FCC ordered that all MSOs must offer CableCards. The "big guys" (e.g. Comcast) complied, grudgingly, but the cable industry sued the FCC to overturn the mandate. They lost, and they just recently lost again (in the appeals court). The FCC has extended the deadline several times. The current deadline is next July (if memory serves) but the cable industry has asked for yet another extension. (They may not get it, the FCC has lost a lot of patience on this issue.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #32
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell
Do you really need cable cards "installed"?
No, according to common sense (and as per your experience). "Yes," according to the cable companies. It's all a part of their stonewalling ... and their desire to maintain "customer control".

Note that the DBS (satellite) providers have used a similar scheme for years, and they don't send a technician to your house to do it (although if you sign up for one of their promotional "free dish" deals, the installer may in fact "do it for you", at least for your first satellite receiver). I've installed many an "access card" in DBS satellite receivers, and all it takes is a phone call to the DBS provider to read them some numbers off your TV screen.

Quote:
Wasn't that the whole point of cable card, that you don't need the cable company to install it?
To you and me (and the FCC), "Yes". But that's not the way the cable companies think. Thery are terrified of "theft of service", so they use any excuse they can to get their people inside your house ... and to charge you for the "service call", besides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #33
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccain
... the cable industry sued the FCC to overturn the mandate. They lost, and they just recently lost again (in the appeals court). The FCC has extended the deadline several times. The current deadline is next July (if memory serves) but the cable industry has asked for yet another extension. (They may not get it, the FCC has lost a lot of patience on this issue.)
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe it was the CableCard 2.0 (two-way interactive) deadline that was extended to next July. Most likely, MSOs are already required, by the FCC, to provide you with a CableCard 1.0 upon request (and free or for a nominal charge).

So, if they say "No", you can "take it to the FCC". (Probably easier to get TiVo to "run interference for you", as per the previous posts by TiVoPony etc.).

Old 09-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #34
hawkamer
Narm...

I just called Bright House in Tampa. I was gearing up for a fight ... and ... no problem! They didn't ask me any info about the device I was using. No sales pitch either, the rep just told me that the CableCard would not have access to the on-screen program guide or pay-per-view. The CableCards are $2.95 per month each. Standard install fee of $34.95 applies.

Sweet! I was expecting the install fee; I was not expecting the non-fight over the CableCards!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #35
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccain
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe it was the CableCard 2.0 (two-way interactive) deadline that was extended to next July. Most likely, MSOs are already required, by the FCC, to provide you with a CableCard 1.0 upon request (and free or for a nominal charge).

So, if they say "No", you can "take it to the FCC". (Probably easier to get TiVo to "run interference for you", as per the previous posts by TiVoPony etc.).

Current rule= Big companies MUST supply cablcards if asked. I think they are supposed to "try" to have multistream cards.

Proposed July 2007 Rule= EVERY BOX deployed by cable compnaies must have cbalecard. They no longer will be allowed to hand out boxes where the security is integrated into the box. Twice already the FCC has pushed back that deline and cable recetnly applied for a third puch back until 2009. FCC ruling one way or the other has not showed up.

Both rules are for ONE-Way cable cards. There are currently no rules that I am aware of for 2-way. IN fact the FCC has let cable completely stall the whole process of setting a 2-way standard by proposing a completely one sided spec that the electronics manufactureres find unacceptable.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #36
MichaelK

oh and it's supposed to be around $2 or less per rental...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #37
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
Proposed July 2007 Rule= EVERY BOX deployed by cable compnaies must have cbalecard.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was a July 2007 deadline related to CableCards, just was not clear on the specifics.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #38
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkamer
I just called Bright House in Tampa. I was gearing up for a fight ... and ... no problem! They didn't ask me any info about the device I was using. No sales pitch either, the rep just told me that the CableCard would not have access to the on-screen program guide or pay-per-view. The CableCards are $2.95 per month each. Standard install fee of $34.95 applies.
Sweet ... thanks for the info! I was going to call tonight and ask the questions myself.

Too bad they won't allow a self-install (like they do for RoadRunner). Seems like a free $35 in their pockets.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #39
nandopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzook1
I just called Bright House and they said they will only provide cable cards for TV's, not boxes. This is Manatee County. Anyone been able to get an install scheduled?

My cable provider is Bright House. (Orange County in the Orlando metro area) I was on the phone for 45 minutes with the service rep because she was not able to add two cable cards to my account. She called two more supervisors and they did not know. Well, they managed at the end.

They did not ask me anything about what is TV do I have. The price is $1.99 per card. When the installer arrives I will write a check for $10.00 only. She said it is a little bit more, usually, but because of the inconvenience they reduced the installation price.
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #40
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
Current rule= Big companies MUST supply cablcards if asked. I think they are supposed to "try" to have multistream cards.

Proposed July 2007 Rule= EVERY BOX deployed by cable compnaies must have cbalecard. They no longer will be allowed to hand out boxes where the security is integrated into the box. Twice already the FCC has pushed back that deline and cable recetnly applied for a third puch back until 2009. FCC ruling one way or the other has not showed up.

Both rules are for ONE-Way cable cards. There are currently no rules that I am aware of for 2-way. IN fact the FCC has let cable completely stall the whole process of setting a 2-way standard by proposing a completely one sided spec that the electronics manufactureres find unacceptable.
The rule about cable boxes being required to have a cable card is great news for us. That means that cable companies are actually going to rush CC2.0 out. If they don't they will be losing out on PPV sales, which they definitely do not want to do.

That is of course true only if they do not succeed in getting the rules changed or pushed back.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #41
msantti

Quote:
Do you really need cable cards "installed"? i have a cable card in one of my TV's. The Comcast guy showed up. "installed" the card. Got on his cell and read the numbers that appeared on the screen to someone on the phone. 30 seconds later he was walking out the door and my TV was on. Wasn't that the whole point of cable card, that you don't need the cable company to install it?
No, you see, we are stupid consumers in their eyes for us to insert a card into a TV or a box.

Fact is, some of the cable TV guys I have seen were complete morons.
msantti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #42
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

My Experience Tonight With Brighthouse

As I just posted in this thread, I got off the fence...well, I got on the fence, got off the fence, got on the fence, then got back on the fence, and I ordered the S3 from Circuit City tonight. The box is due to arrive this Friday 9/15.

I called Brighthouse Networks (Tampa area) after 11:30pm (didn't even know customer service was open that late, but I thought I'd chance it) immediately to schedule an appointment for cable card installation. I held for a good long time, then a younger guy answered. I was prepared for a battle, and a lot of "what are you talking about? TiVo? What?" kind of questions.

I simply stated I needed to schedule the installation of 2 cablecards. The guy confirmed my address, then added 2 cable cards to the order. So far, so good. Then came the magic question:

"What kind of TV's are these cards going to be going in?"

Uh oh. Here's where the hangup is going to come, I thought.

I simply said, "Actually, they are both going into one of the new Series 3 TiVos...so they are both going into that one device.".

To my surprise, the guy simply said "Ok, Let me see when I can schedule it." I was again floored when he was able to set me up with an appointment for this Saturday between 8 and 11am.

So that's my experience from Tampa with Brighthouse. No questions, no hassle.

He also didn't mention to cost, or the fact that they won't work with PPV or VOD.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Provider: Verizon FIOS
TiVotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #43
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
The rule about cable boxes being required to have a cable card is great news for us. That means that cable companies are actually going to rush CC2.0 out. If they don't they will be losing out on PPV sales, which they definitely do not want to do.

That is of course true only if they do not succeed in getting the rules changed or pushed back.
no such luck.

The cable industry is such scumbags that they basically have figured out how to make the same boxes they have today but so they use cablecard 1.0 unidirectional cards to decrypt the signals but continue to use the proprietary systems of today for ordering PPV and VOD and the like.

It will make them figure out how to provision the things and get them to actually work. Probably also forces them to cut the truck roll nonsense too.

But no need for 2-way cabelcards.

(and all that is if the fcc rules against thier request to push it to 2009)
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #44
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
As I just posted in this thread, I got off the fence...well, I got on the fence, got off the fence, got on the fence, then got back on the fence, and I ordered the S3 from Circuit City tonight. The box is due to arrive this Friday 9/15.

I called Brighthouse Networks (Tampa area) after 11:30pm (didn't even know customer service was open that late, but I thought I'd chance it) immediately to schedule an appointment for cable card installation. I held for a good long time, then a younger guy answered. I was prepared for a battle, and a lot of "what are you talking about? TiVo? What?" kind of questions.

I simply stated I needed to schedule the installation of 2 cablecards. The guy confirmed my address, then added 2 cable cards to the order. So far, so good. Then came the magic question:

"What kind of TV's are these cards going to be going in?"

Uh oh. Here's where the hangup is going to come, I thought.

I simply said, "Actually, they are both going into one of the new Series 3 TiVos...so they are both going into that one device.".

To my surprise, the guy simply said "Ok, Let me see when I can schedule it." I was again floored when he was able to set me up with an appointment for this Saturday between 8 and 11am.

So that's my experience from Tampa with Brighthouse. No questions, no hassle.

He also didn't mention to cost, or the fact that they won't work with PPV or VOD.
It might have something to do with the fact that I called a few days ago and had the same conversation. But more likely it is because the General Manager is on top of his job. He even posts over at tampahdtv.com.

There is a CableCARD with TiVo thread that I started which the GM posts via the moderator that BHN will supply CableCARDs for TiVo's, but of course not support them, that is TiVo's job.
http://www.tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/showthread.php?t=9977
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #45
tommage

Get around this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzook1
I just called Bright House and they said they will only provide cable cards for TV's, not boxes. This is Manatee County. Anyone been able to get an install scheduled?
Well I can't guarantee this as I am relying on what someone else posted. They said they had a cable card installed in TV, moved to to TIVO box and it worked. If this is true and you have a slot on your TV just get one installed in the TV then move it when they leave (don't even let them know you have a TIVO). Heck RENT a TV with a slot for a week if you have to. I'd verify this first though, as I said am relying on another person's post.
tommage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #46
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommage
Well I can't guarantee this as I am relying on what someone else posted. They said they had a cable card installed in TV, moved to to TIVO box and it worked. If this is true and you have a slot on your TV just get one installed in the TV then move it when they leave (don't even let them know you have a TIVO). Heck RENT a TV with a slot for a week if you have to. I'd verify this first though, as I said am relying on another person's post.
For those that don't want to read the whole thing below: NO, THIS WILL NOT WORK.

Part of the CableCard standard and the activation is that the card is "married" or locked to the device that it was originally activated on in the cable company systems. The only ones who can move, modify or unmarry a card are the cable systems. Moving the card to another device after it is activated won't work because the access codes to change thanks to differing hardware IDs and serial numbers contained in the new device. It's the same thing as trying to move a DirecTV access card from one receiver to another, won't work because the receiver IDs are different and the access code generated from the card info+ new reciever info doesn't match anything that is authorized.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #47
pzook1

After the two frustrating calls I had with BHN, I went by the local office yesterday and amazingly had no issues with setting up an install for Monday. I went prepared to have to fight but did not have to. When she asked the model of the TV, I said it was a Tivo set top box and gave the Cablelabs document to show the model #. She punched it in and said I was setup. Hopefully nothing will happen before Monday to stop it.
pzook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #48
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

Update on Brighthouse cable card install from here in Tampa:

Brighthouse's cable contractor just left my house. Real nice guy, and patient.

When he got to my door, he asked me where the TV's were that needed the cable cards. I pointed him to the TiVo and said, "I bet you haven't seen one of these yet". Of course, he had not. I grabbed the instruction sheet for the installer, told him basically we need to put one card in the bottom slot, activate it, test the channels, then put in the 2nd card in. We were not sure if we could insert and activate both cards at once. I explained I was leery and suggested we do it according to TiVo just to be safe.

The installer called up his activation number (not sure what the activation number is that is listed on the cable card configuration screen, but it's not the number he had). He explained to the guy on the phone that we were doing a new TiVo. He gave the guy the cable card and host ID numbers. About 3 minutes later, a screen popped up on TiVo indicating the cable card configuration had changed, asking if I wished to repeat guided setup now or later. We went back in, tested the channels, and they worked.

We then stuck in cable card # 2, repeated the process, and made another phone call. Same success.

One interesting note, the installer said that a truck roll wasn't necessary after all - the office will just hand you cable cards if you stop in and request them. I said I assumed an installer was necessary, but he said no.

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Old 09-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #49
bdraw

Thanks for the update, I can't wait till Tuesday.
Mine install will take longer since I don't currently have cable.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #50
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
I'll add one more thing in here that may be helpful.

If you contact your cable company, and they say they won't give you the cards you want...call us.

When you call, explain that you need help getting cable cards from your cable company, and would like to speak to the HD Team.

They'll get on the line with you while you call your cable company, and they'll help explain everything to the cable representative.

That should, hopefully, help.

Pony
No offense intended,
but should and hopefully are words that are a cause for concern.
This cable card fiasco is really amazing.
You make a product that needs something from a cable company and the cable companies are acting like, WHAT, no etc. Amazing, absurdly amazing in a way.
Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #51
SilentJay

Pick up CableCards?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
One interesting note, the installer said that a truck roll wasn't necessary after all - the office will just hand you cable cards if you stop in and request them. I said I assumed an installer was necessary, but he said no.
Has anyone in Tampa been able to go to a BHN office and pick up some CableCards? I tried this morning at the MLK office, but no luck. At least I now have an install scheduled, though. When I called BHN last night, the woman I talked to wouldn't even schedule the install when I mentioned it was going in a TiVo. I was going to try the Linebaugh office on my way home... should I bother?
SilentJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #52
Ames

Quote:
How does one know whether their cable provider fits the MSO category or not? Is there anywhere that gives an official list? I specifically have Mediacom in Des Moines, Iowa. I'm pretty sure they don't offer cablecards at all though I've not specifically asked them yet. I'm just wondering if I call them and they say they don't offer them at all, do I have any recourse if they do fit in the MSO category?
I have Mediacom in Ames. They are cool with 2 cards in a Tivo.
Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #53
TiVotion
Early Adoptersaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJay
Has anyone in Tampa been able to go to a BHN office and pick up some CableCards? I tried this morning at the MLK office, but no luck. At least I now have an install scheduled, though. When I called BHN last night, the woman I talked to wouldn't even schedule the install when I mentioned it was going in a TiVo. I was going to try the Linebaugh office on my way home... should I bother?
I'm actually near the boundary of Pasco and Hillsborough county, so I'm serviced out of the Pasco office. They had no problem with the request. The installer was a contractor, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Print this out before you go back to the Brighthouse office to prove to them they are allowed to provide cablecards for TiVo:

http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/downloads/OC_PNP.pdf

TiVo Premiere
TiVo Series 3 HD DVR
TiVo HD DVR
Pioneer DVR-810H
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #54
PPC1

Just called Brighthouse here in Indy today. I told them I needed 2 cable cards. They said, "No problem. The first available install date is this Saturday." I said, "perfect."

They did not ask what they were going into.

We will see Saturday how the install goes.
PPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #55
windracer
joined the 10k club

I didn't see an official BHN/CableCARD thread in Dan's list so I'll reply here.

I just went through the hassle of ordering CableCARDs for my S3 from BHN in Tampa/St. Pete. The first sales rep gave me the spiel about the cards being for specific TVs and not providing cards for the TiVo (she said they just had a meeting about this this week). I told her I was pretty sure they were required by law to provide cards for CableLabs certified devices, to which she replied "not until 2008." At that point I asked to go higher up and the chain and she sent me to tech support.

The guy there was much better. He asked me for the TiVo model number, and after I gave it to him he said yes, they did provide cards for that device (duh! ). I did ask about self-install but he said it required a truck roll. My install is scheduled for Saturday morning. I've never had digital cable before (I've been pulling the unencrypted QAM channels through my plasma) so I'm a little excited. I hope the install goes well.

Like others have mentioned, it's $2.95/mo per card. I was told there is no installation fee. I'm holding off on the $6/mo HD Pak (HDNet, ESPN HD, Universal HD) for now.

Now I'm off to fill out TiVo's CableCARD feedback form.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #56
smr
I'm Batman

I called Brighthouse in Orlando, FL. They had no problem with the 2 cablecards going into a tivo.

The first tech didn't have a clue. Said he didn't even know TiVo had a new unit. After he TRIED to remove one of the cards out of the unit unsuccessfully, I asked him to let me try it. I installed them and did all the click work. All he did was call whomever he has to to get them activated. He never got both of them activated and told me they probably needed to "warm up". Two days later I had to call for another tech as they stopped getting HD and digital signals. I also had the copyprotection issues of auto deletion after 1.5 hours.

(Cue angelic music)

Brighthouse sent a tech named Will who not only HAD previously installed cc's in two other units, but he knew what the issue was right away. He took out one of the cards, replaced it with another, made a call, and Zip bang pow, everything worked and no more copyprotection flag issues to boot.

I think it may all be in the tech and their comfort level with the technology.

Big men drive Mini cars!
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #57
tedbill

I called in to BHN Sunday night and scheduled my install for Wednesday morning. The CSR had no issue getting the install scheduled, even after I told him it was for a TiVo. I'm in the south Orlando area (Hunters Creek). Once everything is up and running I'll post back!

BTW, I was never able to find any HD over the QAM in the clear channels. Has anyone else in Orlando with BHN found any HD?
tedbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #58
nandopr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedbill
I called in to BHN Sunday night and scheduled my install for Wednesday morning. The CSR had no issue getting the install scheduled, even after I told him it was for a TiVo. I'm in the south Orlando area (Hunters Creek). Once everything is up and running I'll post back!

BTW, I was never able to find any HD over the QAM in the clear channels. Has anyone else in Orlando with BHN found any HD?
There should be no problem. I am in Hunter's Creek area too and my instaltion was fine in general.
nandopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #59
fl_dba

BH Tampa Bay (Polk county) never got either CC authorized after several attempts and 10 different cards! Returned the S3 to Circuit City and the CC's to BH. Will continue to use SA 8300 HD DVR until price of S3 unit drops and BH gets it's act together. The S3 is the best HD DVR available but I couldn't justify spending any more time on it right now. Have D* HR20 and HR10 also, neither comes close to the S3 in many areas including PQ, OTA tuners, and UI.
fl_dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #60
notnow117

I just called BH in Orange County and the first CSR I talked to got me nowhere. She claimed that they could only install a CC in a TV, and that since a TiVo is my own device, they wouldn't install a CC in it. Nevermind that a TV is my own device also. She also said they offered an HD-DVR, which is why they wouldn't put a CC in mine. She wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor either, because she was a "senior support technician." I got fed up after arguing for 15 minutes, hung up, called back, and talked to someone else who setup the appt, no questions asked.
notnow117 is offline   Reply With Quote