Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #241
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

An update for 6.3a and SA 7.X users

For those of you with Series2 Standalone units running 7.X of the software, or HR10-250 units running 6.3a... I'm sure you are all aware that the client won't install/run properly.

What I've determined is that the problem is with http_get in the TiVo software distro; its broken, and I can't figure out a way to run it without it causing problems.

So... the easiest way to fix this is by replacing it. Best way to do it is by first opening a telnet session to your TiVo and renaming the existing one:

mv /tvbin/http_get /tvbin/http_get.old

Then, ftp the attached (unzip it first) one to /tvbin

You should then be able to run the install scripts, as documented.

Now, there is one other problem, the recently released "watchdog" uses a version of netcat (nc) which also causes some ugliness (if you have a serial cable hooked up and you are getting console messages, you will see them every 30 seconds), but the watchdog still works.

I am currently running 6.3a on a test system, with the watchdog, have bounced the network several times and things seem to be working just fine.

Have at it...

Lou

PS This is a workaround for now - if/when we come up with a better solution, I will let you know - but with so many HR10-250 units registered, and a few Series2 SA units, I wanted to let you all know ASAP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip http_get.zip (8.7 KB, 164 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #242
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Interesting. Earlier in the thread a couple of reported that http_get was indeed broken, but that it was possible to use wget to load it... but it didn't work anyway. Has the new version been written to work with the new 6.3/7.x code?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #243
tall1

Hi Lou, I am running 6.3a. I installed after replacing http_get and everything works on gotmydvr.com but I get the following error messages displaying in bash:

DTivo3-TiVo# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
[1] 21003
HDTivo3-TiVo# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: line 46: 21010 Terminated
$TARGETPREFIX/bin/dbclient -T -p $SERVERPORT -i $TARGETPREFIX/etc/$USERKEY $US
ER@$SERVER -R $TUNNELPORT:127.0.0.1:$CLIENTPORT -L 7:127.0.0.1:7

HDTivo3-TiVo# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: line 46: 21044 Terminated
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: line 46: 21078 Terminated $TARGETPREFI
X/bin/dbclient -T -p $SERVERPORT -i $TARGETPREFIX/etc/$USERKEY $USER@$SERVER -R
$TUNNELPORT:127.0.0.1:$CLIENTPORT -L 7:127.0.0.1:7

HDTivo3-TiVo# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: line 46: 21123 Terminated
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #244
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Interesting. Earlier in the thread a couple of reported that http_get was indeed broken, but that it was possible to use wget to load it... but it didn't work anyway. Has the new version been written to work with the new 6.3/7.x code?
Francesco -

Sorry, I was not clear in my previous post. NOTHING has changed with the new version of the client, other than the introduction of the watchdog process. We have known, for some time, that http_get was broken. Fudging the install with wget only gets you halfway there -- the client that is run (dbclient) also depends on http_get and that is why it still won't run.

With that said, IF you replace http_get with the one I attached, dbclient should run just fine. At least it does on 6.3a, so I'm hoping it will on 7.X.

Tall 1 --

What you are seeing is this... the watchdog process requires the use of netcat, and netcat is ALSO broken on 6.3a (and 7.X I would presume); so the error messages you are seeing is the watchdog FAILING every 30 seconds, killing the dbclient and starting it up again. Its ugly, and although it doesn't appear to affect performance, I can't guarantee that it won't.

What you might want to do is go in and fiddle with the file, /gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh

You should be able to play with the intervals, or just comment out the code that invokes the watchdog, altogether. I can't give you specifics on this because I am remote right now.

One thing we could do is give you access to the older version of the client, the one without the watchdog (or you could just strip out the watchdog from this one); it should work fine as long as you replace http_get.

Obviously, these are all workarounds for now, we'll come up with something more elegant, longer term.

Lastly, I am travelling tomorrow - back in the Bay area for the week. Don't expect to see a lot of me on this thread, but I will duck in every now and then.

Have fun.

Lou

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #245
tall1

Thanks Lou, I think I got watchdog turned off; no more messages. I am still connected and playing around with TWP 1.4. All seems ok. I will post any unusual behavior. The HDTivo I am testing with is in the bedroom and non-mission critical so I'm not worried if it gets wiggy.
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #246
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
Thanks Lou, I think I got watchdog turned off; no more messages. I am still connected and playing around with TWP 1.4. All seems ok. I will post any unusual behavior. The HDTivo I am testing with is in the bedroom and non-mission critical so I'm not worried if it gets wiggy.
Cool. I just got home and took another look at the code. For anyone else who is trying this - if you want to disable the watcher, you have a couple of simple options:

option 1: edit the file /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr, and comment out the lines that look like this:

# Starts watchdog process (if exist)
if [ -x /gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh ]; then
/gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi

option 2: rename or remove the file called /gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh

That's it...

Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #247
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
I can confirm that it works the same way and generates the same "ugliness" on a Series 2.5 running 7.3.1...

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #248
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

That's good to know... you might try disabling the watchdog as things may work fine for you without it...

Lou

Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #249
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Here's another little tidbit:

Ok, here is something REALLY weird.

NC misbehaves if I run it from a telnet session to the box - ie if I telnet in from an xterm I get page_faults on the console and the program seg_faults.

BUT, if I run NC from the console, itself, it runs FINE.

This is not the case with http_get, but the bottom line is that NC works ok when invoked by the watchdog, as long as the watchdog is invoked from the console window (serial port) or from the startup files, themselves.

Bottom line: If you are running 6.3a, or 7.X on a Series2 SA; install the client, as discussed above (replace your http_get). Then reboot after installing, as opposed to starting the client manually. If you have a serial port, you can try starting the client manually from there, as an alternative. Use PS to verify that your watchdog is running. Things might run smoother, that way.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #250
kimsan
underling

Great Job

Just a quick input.

Finally installed on 2 HR10-250s: one instant cake/zippered, one mfs restored original/zippered, both 3.1.5f

Both on fixed IPs
Dynamic IP DSL router

ZERO problems whatsoever! Install was flawless on both. Accessing from a laptop on the same network->GoToMyDVR page->TiVo works great.

Nice job on this one!

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #251
alwayscool
Former P3 Tester

Thumbs up Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I can't get the client to load onto my TCD540; when I add the first line ("http_get...") via telnet, I get "Segmentation fault."
I tried to install it last night and got the same "Segmentation fault" as he did. So I managed to install the files manually by editing the b_install.sh file and ftp'ing the files to the proper directories, but no go. I guess it's because I'm running 6.3a.

Here is my setup:
Hr10-250 with a FA120 adapter hardwired - Static IP
Fast ethernet switch
Linksys router
Bellsouth Westell modem @ 6 mb down and 348 kb up -DSL

It seems that my Hr10-250 won't connect to the Internet.
Any suggestions? And do you have this software working on 6.3a yet?
Thank you.

***** UPDATE *****
I edited b_install.sh to use wget instead of http_get and the files downloaded and installed fine, however when I ran the program I got this error:

bash-2.02# /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
[1] 7451
bash-2.02# Internal error #R
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr: .: filename argument required
.: usage: . filename
*** Empty KNOWN_HOST configuration ***

***** UPDATE *****
Read the entire thread (took an hour) and replaced http_get and it finally works great on my HR10-250!!! Great work guys! However, there was NO watchdog.sh to edit or rename.
HR20-700S, SlimLine HD dish, WB68 and WB616 switches on 9/14/07

Last edited by alwayscool : 10-07-2006 at 01:50 PM.
alwayscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #252
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

quick update

We'll be updating the installation again in a couple of days; unfortunately, http_get will still need to be replaced on 6.3a systems and on Series2 SA units, however that will be it - the watchdog will still run fine in the updated version as we've gotten a fixed version of netcat (thx rbautch!!!) that will do the trick.

More soon....

Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #253
bishop05

i'm really into this but new the the scene, how would i have to do to get this installed?
bishop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #254
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

First off, is your TiVo hacked and running TiVoweb or TivoWeb Plus?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #255
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Please see the first two posts of the thread. I've just updated them with some more information related to supported platforms, client status, etc. BTW, we have about 400 units registered with the site now; if you haven't responded to the survey, please do so!

Thx

Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #256
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Anyone having problems with connectivity on Series1 boxes? I just found a bug, thx to one tester. Anyone else seen it?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #257
cassos

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Anyone having problems with connectivity on Series1 boxes? I just found a bug, thx to one tester. Anyone else seen it?
Hi Lou,

It works for both my old Sony SAT T-60 DirectTV Tivo 1 and my newer Hughes HR10-250 DirectTV Tivo 2 recently upgraded to 6.3a. The only thing I noticed on the Tivo 1 is that the automatic install did not work to start the service automatically, I edited the rc.sysinit.author to remove the if statement and directly start /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr & (although I don't understand why...)

Anyway, many thanks to you for setting this up, I was about to setup my home with a dmz, and a proxy server, you saved me a lot of time! and it works great!
cassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #258
chezpaul

So I got the email from gotomydvr.com and went to the site, registered my Tivo.
Teleneted to my HDR10-250 running 6.3a with PTVnet and TWP 1.3.1 (meaning it's hacked yes)

When I enter the first command:
http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh
Then I get this error:
Segmentation fault

Me not know what this means...

Last edited by chezpaul : 10-19-2006 at 01:01 AM.
chezpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #259
chezpaul

I just read you second post and replaced the http_get file et voilą.. Hapiness...
Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #260
chezpaul

Okay so when I try to select my Tivo in gotomydvr.com, I'm asked for a username and password.
I thought they wanted again the one I use to login to gotomydvr.com but I guess not.
Which password do you guys want ?
Did I miss a step ?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #261
chezpaul

Well, well, I didn't change a thing and now (after I've waited 5 minutes) I can go through (without being asked for a password) but now I get this message:

Unit disconnected!
Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later.

But it is connected as I can access it directly through the network... Mmmm...

I even rebooted the Tivo unit...

Would I need to change anything on my router ?
I'm surprised I don't need to change any forwarding stuff on the router.

PS: I'm running my Tivo in STATIC on the network.

Last edited by chezpaul : 10-19-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #262
cassos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezpaul
Which password do you guys want ?
Did I miss a step ?
login as oztivo with no password

you can change all that in the config file
/var/hack/TivoWebPlus/tivoweb.cfg

Christian.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #263
cassos

Paul,

I had to do the same
Christian
Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 AM   #264
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

TiVoWebPlus 1.3.1 has a default password

Remember guys, its TWP 1.3.1 that is requiring the authentication because the default configuration file requires this for connections from an outside network. Apparently, the authentication restrictions are relaxed (be default) if you are connecting from an internal network...

... in any case, it sounds like you've gotten it working.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:49 AM   #265
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

gotomydvr client update

Just made a modification to the gotomydvr client that effects operation of the 'watchdog' running on Series1 standalone and directivo architectures. If you have one of these platforms, I recommend you download, install and reboot as per the instructions. If you have a Series2, it won't hurt, but it won't change anything, either (at least its not supposed to)...

Please post your results and feedback here...

Thanks again!!!!

Lou

Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #266
cassos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Just made a modification to the gotomydvr client that effects operation of the 'watchdog' running on Series1 standalone and directivo architectures. If you have one of these platforms, I recommend you download, install and reboot as per the instructions. If you have a Series2, it won't hurt, but it won't change anything, either (at least its not supposed to)...

Please post your results and feedback here...

Thanks again!!!!

Lou
Hi Lou,

I installed it last night on both of my Tivo 1 and 2 with success,
I noticed however a few "mount: / is busy" but it worked.

Christian.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #267
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Glad its working; tests here reveal that the watchdog on Series1 units is now working.

The 'mount' errors/warnings can be ignored. I'll try to make some modifications to obscure those messages for the next release.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #268
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Two more units online

Just install client on two units shown below. So far no problems (after I fixed an IP problem...I run a two routers...one is for ISP connection and other acts as a switch right now as it's WAN port died...got the right one IP'd to the address the Tivo's are set to for gateway). Been trying both units with no disconnect problems. Large amounts of data from Tivo take a while but can't really complain as the cost of the service is quite low. One question Lou....what survey?
SD-DVR40 250Gig (retired)
HDVR40 250Gig (retired)
6stringbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:47 PM   #269
anmoore
Anmoore

Please add a valid service ID

I have a networked Philips Series 1 with the software installed. When I try to register the unit on the add/remove Tivo unit page, I get the red message "Please add a valid service ID."

This has happened over three days, and I have verified my ID online with Tivo and using the crypto -gsn.

Suggestions?
anmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #270
stivovance

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmoore
I have a networked Philips Series 1 with the software installed. When I try to register the unit on the add/remove Tivo unit page, I get the red message "Please add a valid service ID."

This has happened over three days, and I have verified my ID online with Tivo and using the crypto -gsn.

Suggestions?
Sure sounds like you may be typing it incorrectly. Try using "copy" and "paste" to ensure its being registered on the site correctly. It should be 15 digits long...
stivovance is offline   Reply With Quote