TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #451
Danny Andrews

Robert, make sure they put a BIG red note on your order that you need 2 cards. I ordered mine over a week ago and made sure they knew I needed two. The next day I took my extra cable box back to the cable company. I had the lady check my account for the CC and she said yes, 2 cards. They were supposed to be installed today. Well, the guy called on his way and I asked if he had 2. Nope, only 1. He said I would have to reschedule.
CSR said go to local office and pick them up. Tried, but no go. Charter said their policy.
They did say they would find someone to install them tomorrow and I wouldn't have to pay for install.
I did notice at the local office they had a Moto DVR with Moxi on display and when I first called about the CC they tried to get me to order one of these.
Danny Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #452
mikatc

Cable cards are a poor technology that we are sadly saddled with!
mikatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #453
cotton168

Danny, tell them to stick that Moxi box in their you-know-where! LOL You do need to hound them with the CCs. Just tell them to always bring extras because they never know when they would need them. Is this their first CC install on an S3? Make sure they read the instructions that the TiVo supplies to the cable installer. Try to make them go with those instructions, but the most important thing is for them to bring more than 2 CCs just in case something is wrong (knock on wood) with one or even both CCs. I've had that happen over the course of my entire Charter CC experience and the last one, the guys came with about 6. If one didn't work, then they swapped that one out which was exactly what they did because I ended up getting the Firmware Updating screen of death (FUSOD). Good luck though Danny.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #454
djheini

Well, I now have my Series3 working (mostly) with Charter. Here's my story for anyone who cares:

We moved into a new apt. last weekend, so the TiVo S3 had been sitting in my old living room teasing me for almost 2 weeks. Finally, this past Monday was our install date, and the installer came with the CableCARDs to hook up our house for cable/internet. When it came to the Series3, we got the Updating Firmware screen. After about 15 minutes the installer was getting annoyed and decided to unplug the TiVo to reboot it and try again. After the TiVo came back up, we got the CCs installed and authorized, and found that no digital channels except the HD locals came in. Quite a bummer. The installer said that it just needed some time to get synced up, and he left. That evening, the channels still weren't showing up, so I called Charter. The phone rep said that the installer hadn't closed out the work order and that was why the channels weren't coming in. So she said she'd close the work order and the channels would work in half an hour.

Fast forward to Wednesday. The channels still aren't working, so I called Charter again, and the phone rep tried hitting the CCs to no avail. So he scheduled a truck roll for 12-8 today. SInce I had to work, I had the rep put instructions to call me 1/2 hour before in the ticket. I luckily decided to leave work early today, and when I got home at 12:30, the Charter tech was there. So he came in, tried fiddling with the cards, putting the cards in the TV, etc. Those didn't seem to work, so he got in the phone with the head-end, and they worked on the problem via Nextel. Long story short, they got everything working on CableCARD 1 and everything on CableCARD 2 works except Universal HD and TNTHD, which both work for a second and then come up as unauthorized. They said that the head end was having intermittent problems with this, and they were working on it. The tech stayed here for half an hour to see if it got working (and we watched half of an ep of Law and Order on TNTHD), and ended up leaving at 3 with the channels still not working. So hopefully it'll be all set tomorrow morning, but if not, I still have most of the channels, and all the ones that are really important.
djheini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #455
jdmass

djheini,

It sounds like you are having very similar problems to the ones that I wrote about earlier in this thread. I am in Westboro, so we are served by the same Charter branch. I was given the same bs line about "closing the work order" and also had the exact problem you describe on Universal HD and TNTHD (as well as a few other stations).

The problem turned out to be incorrect authorization codes on my account. The "dispatch" office handles this and, according to the person I spoke to at the head end, there are different codes for cablecards than for set top boxes, and the dispatch people they often aren't aware of this.

Unfortunately with Charter phone support, they seem to have an aversion to actually trying to solve problems -- their goal is just get you off the phone. It is almost impossible to get to talk to anyone who can actually help troubleshoot the problem. It is likely they will want to schedule a truck roll. I would suggest trying to get someone to have dispatch recheck the codes and have them reset everything (not just hit the cards).

Good luck!
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #456
Danny Andrews

Thamks Cotton, I should have thought of telling them to bring several CCs, but I didn't. Luckily both cards were good today and it was a breeze. All of my channels seem to be there and no problems so far. I wish everyone else the same luck.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #457
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Andrews
Thamks Cotton, I should have thought of telling them to bring several CCs, but I didn't. Luckily both cards were good today and it was a breeze. All of my channels seem to be there and no problems so far. I wish everyone else the same luck.
Do you have tnt hi def?
Thanks
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #458
Boot
to the head

I had my Charter install scheduled for today. I was completely prepared - I printed out every instructional post I could find, wired up the Tivo, ran through guided setup... I was sure that I had prepared myself for every possible issue.

The tech never showed up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #459
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Andrews
Hey Danny,

I'm so happy to hear that your installation went without a hitch. I hope all your channels are in good working order.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #460
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot
I had my Charter install scheduled for today. I was completely prepared - I printed out every instructional post I could find, wired up the Tivo, ran through guided setup... I was sure that I had prepared myself for every possible issue.

Oh man! As much as you can prepare for the installation, it's a whole other ballgame with the techs themselves. Good luck next time Boot!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #461
Danny Andrews

I don't have a HDTV yet so I don't know about TNT. Sorry!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #462
GA_HiDef

Red face Appt scheduled

Well, got my Charter appt scheduled for Wednesday to install CCs. Tivo due in Tuesday. The CSR asked why I wanted 2 CCs. Told her it was for new Tivo S3. She made sure she put in the request for 2 CCs. So far so good. We'll see.

Robert
GA_HiDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #463
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_HiDef
She made sure she put in the request for 2 CCs. So far so good. We'll see.
In many places Charter (and often the tech himself) will call you 30 to 60 minutes before they show up. When that happens make sure to remind them (or him) that he needs to bring at least two cards. No matter what is written on the work order, they always seem to think it is just one card.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #464
cotton168

It would also be good if the tech could bring extra cards. Don't know how many S3s they have installed in your area, but in my area, if they know it is an S3, they now know to bring some extra cards just in case.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #465
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
It would also be good if the tech could bring extra cards. Don't know how many S3s they have installed in your area, but in my area, if they know it is an S3, they now know to bring some extra cards just in case.
Yes - Charter in Pasadena, CA (and San Gabriel Valley area) seems to have bad communication within the company. They have cards that will work in the S3, but the tech staff that handle the cable card installs are not all up to speed yet. Politely work your way up the management chain and you will get results.

.. and YES, have them bring as many cards as possible to your house! This will avoid frustrating multiple visits.
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #466
Boot
to the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot

Tech showed up today. We followed the instructions on the TiVo site, which are just an expanded version of the instructions in the box.

The install went perfectly, and I believe the key was patience. Once we inserted the card, it was 10 minutes before anything happened. Had we pulled the card, I think we would have had problems. The closest we came to failure was when the guy on the phone wanted the numbers for both cards at the same time, and I had to convince the tech that we needed to do them separately.

I assume the 10 minute delay was Charter updating the CableCard firmware. The instructions imply that this might be happening, but there's no actual indication of what the card is doing. It seems like TiVo should be able to see the download and report it. Or, at the very least, recognize that there's a card inserted, but not "ready", and put up a warning to leave the card alone and wait.

Edit: This is Charter in Worcester, MA.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #467
moonjockey

I called Charter today, after finding out that Bellsouth Cable will not support (They even have a waiver from the FCC) Charter was completly aware of TIVO S3 (the guy had a memo) and knew I needed 2 cards they quoted me 1.50 PM for the second card, along with the other charges to switch from Bellsouth.
moonjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #468
wwschoening

Not always recording

Charter has not been overly cooperative. However, I did not realize that I had to RESTART as well as 30 minute reestablishment Guide (I am away and cannot recall the name)

My problem is that after I obtained the second cable card for my S3, programs scheduled to record do not record sometimes. I have checked for conflicts and there appear to be none. The programs appear in the PlayList but with no time recorded and nothing there. I read in the booklet about recording two HD programs at the same time. It said nothing about mixed HD and non HD. We are going to turn off the recording of Tivo suggestions to see if that is interfering with the scheduled recording.

BTW, we had no problems with one cablecard.

Thoughts???
wwschoening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #469
marclee

1-888-get-char will not solve your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass
djheini,

It sounds like you are having very similar problems to the ones that I wrote about earlier in this thread. I am in Westboro, so we are served by the same Charter branch. I was given the same bs line about "closing the work order" and also had the exact problem you describe on Universal HD and TNTHD (as well as a few other stations).

The problem turned out to be incorrect authorization codes on my account. The "dispatch" office handles this and, according to the person I spoke to at the head end, there are different codes for cablecards than for set top boxes, and the dispatch people they often aren't aware of this.

Unfortunately with Charter phone support, they seem to have an aversion to actually trying to solve problems -- their goal is just get you off the phone. It is almost impossible to get to talk to anyone who can actually help troubleshoot the problem. It is likely they will want to schedule a truck roll. I would suggest trying to get someone to have dispatch recheck the codes and have them reset everything (not just hit the cards).

Good luck!

Talking to the CSR drones at Charter is a waste of your time. As noted above, they're goal is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. This is because they are paid by commission. Yes that's right you heard me. Commission. So are they paid by resolving problems??? No. Simply by the sheer number of people that they handle. Now do you understand grasshopper, why they seem so urgent to get you off the phone?

They will say anything to do that. You must somehow get through to your local office. And even within the local office, you need to talk the people who deal with the cablecard coding issues. This will not be easy. By design you are NOT allowed to talk to the local office. I found a number for the local, but I had no extensions. So I just started trying different numbers until I found some valid extension numbers.

I left messages with about 4 different people some I specified that I was calling about an issue with a cablecard, others I did not. Someone actually called with 30 minutes of me leaving messages. 15 minutes later, I had results.

"the work order has not been closed and thats why, once it closes your channels ll come through" as noted this is BS. Translation "I don't know how to get your card coded properly, or I don't have the right access to do that or I don't care, but I really really need to get you off the phone right now, so I can go to the next customer."

"charter does not support tivo" BS. Doesn't matter if its Tivo or a TV or a toaster. If it is a cablecard device that is certified a cablecard will work, unless something is wrong with their network or coding.

Exemptions? Ha!
"Isn’t it true that ALL cable companies are required to be compliant with CableCARD compatibility standards?

YES and NO – Although the Federal Communications Commission has stated that cable systems must now be compliant with CableCARD standards, BellSouth Entertainment received a waiver (exemption) from those standards for their Atlanta and South Florida Americast digital cable systems on August 17, 2004 (FCC DA 04-2544). This waiver was granted by the FCC, based on the fact that the BellSouth Entertainment Americast Digital Cable delivery system was designed and made available to customers long before CableCARD standards were introduced and that compliance would require a complete replacement of the system platform infrastructure. However, a condition of this waiver is that BellSouth Entertainment will provide a digital settop box, at no charge, to any customer requesting activation of a CableCARD compatible device."

Let's see provide you with a cable card that cost pennies or provide you with a digital box that costs 10-100 dollars?

When the Tech tries to leave and your channels are not there. Do not take i"t will be there in 15 minutes" or so as an answer. 1. Tell him you want him to contact dispatch or the head end and get the card coded correctly so that it will receive all the channels you are being charged for. Remind him that this is his job not yours to complete the installation of the cc(do this nicely, with a smile, offer him coffee, doughnuts, but hold your ground). 2. Refuse to sign the work order. He may leave anyway, but at least he does have your signature blessing this incomplete installation.

Yes it really is worth the effort.
marclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:35 PM   #470
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwschoening
I read in the booklet about recording two HD programs at the same time. It said nothing about mixed HD and non HD. We are going to turn off the recording of Tivo suggestions to see if that is interfering with the scheduled recording.

BTW, we had no problems with one cablecard.

Thoughts???
I had a similar problem; once both cablecards were finally working, I attempted to record a program and then change the channel and watch something else. To my shock, it said the current program would stop recording if I changed the channel. Wha????

Running Guided Setup again fixed the problem. There appears to be logic in the Tivo during Guided Setup that records the number of available tuners. Once I re-ran guided setup, the dual-tuner functionality started working.
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #471
cotton168

Hey wwschoening, did you rerun the setup guide after the second CC got put in? I never had that kind of problem before because I always reran the guide when Charter came with new CCs. Before doing that, I would restart the S3 and then rerun the guide after the CCs are installed. Try what Hi-Bred mentioned and see what happens. If you need more help, we're always here.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #472
rbprescott

I had all the same problems with the Newtown, CT Charter. The tech installed the 2 cards - wait 15 mins - no luck, several calls - no luck, Work order not closed - no luck, I had to schedule a tech. He came and register the cards properly and so far everery thing seems to be OK!
rbprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #473
boferguson

Sorry if this has been addressed. I scanned several pages and couldn't find exact advice. My installer just left (after two previous missed appts) with two CableCards installed and only some channels coming through. Called TiVo support before he left -- tech advised me chances were the cards were updating firmware and to check in about 45 minutes. I had to get back to work, so I let the tech go (got his Supervisor's cellphone first) and am now at work. TiVo tech said if the missing channels don't appear after an hour, I need new cards. Sorry I didn't ask this before I got off the phone, but can someone tell me how I know the new cards will work if the current ones don't? Is there something special to ask for? I guess having the cellphone number of the supervisor is a leg up, and I have a phone number for the local office, but all I reallt want is a tech who understands the cards.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm in Black Mountain, NC (Asheville/Greenville/Spartanburg market.)
boferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #474
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boferguson
Any advice is appreciated.
Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure that new cards will fix the problem. But the experience here seems to be that by going through a few cards, you eventually hit on a couple that work. The key is to make sure you are getting at least one digital/premium channel with each card before the tech leaves. If that is happening, chances are that the others will show up within a few hours.

You are in good shape because you have the supervisor's phone number. Call him, not Charter. Hopefully you won't need to, but the only way to get satisfaction is to keep pestering them until someone figures out how to make the cards work.

Speaking of which, my saga continued today, as well. I had an appointment for Sunday, but sometime during the day I got a call from the tech. "Oh, you need a new cablecard? The work order just said you were having cablecard problems, so they didn't pull any inventory from the warehouse, and we don't have any cablecards." Imagine that -- someone with cablecard problems might need a new cablecard. What are the odds?

Anyway, the guy came today. Put a new card in (I had one working already), all went fine, but no digital channels. I go back to the cc setup screen, and we see an all-new message about how there were technical problems when authorizing the card. He called a few people and decided the card was bad. He tried another, and within a few minutes everything was working fine. So when I left, I was back to having two working cards. We'll see how long that lasts.

Good: two working cards. Bad: don't know how long it will last. Good: Charter in the western San Gabriel Valley seems to be building some organizational knowledge of how to make these things work. Bad: four truck rolls, one aborted roll, and countless phone calls to get my cards to work.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #475
GA_HiDef

So I had a successful install, sorta.

Tech arrived on time, with only 2 CCs in hand. Oh well, I thought, let's see if we can get one to work. I tried to walk him through the install with a single card first, but when he called the CSR, she insisted he put in the other card so that she could hit both. We did. The tech gave the CSR all the data. She hit both cards, I know that worked cause we immediately got the 161-4 errors on both cards. Looked at the Conditional Access screen and it was obvious that the encryption data had not arrived yet. The CSR tells him to unplug both cards and plug them back in, she hit them again, round and round and round. This goes on for 45 minutes or so, then tech calls his "buddy" tech who has installed 3 or 4 tivo's. He arrives with new CC's. This is probably a good thing. The first 2 were Motorola's one at 4.21 one at 4.05. The new cards were both 4.21. They commence to switch cards, give new data, hit cards, plug, unplug, yada, yada, yada. After 2 hours of this they are ready to give up. I talk to tech and CSR lady (Liz, very nice) and say "Let me keep the cards, schedule the super tomorrow". So I get Liz's direct number and tell here that I am going to re-init Tivo, reinstall cards and call her for a hit a bit later. I do that. Erase everything on the Tivo and put it back to default specs. Insert CC1, capture data, insert CC2, capture data, call Liz. She hits CC1. I wait 5 minutes. No data on the Conditional Access screen. I say, what the hell, hit the other one. Thank her and tell her that if anything changes I'll call back. She wishes me luck. I call Tivo. Talk to TS there. Guys says " be patient" run through the rest of guided setup, then check cards again. I do. After about 20 minutes I have data on Conditional Access screens. I check channels, voila, I have channels. HD works, premium works. Life is good.

This is in Roswell GA by the way.

Regards all. Remember the phrase, be patient.

Out,
Robert
GA_HiDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #476
purplerhino12

Charter installed my cable cards today with small problems but all were resolved. This was the second scheduled install since they ran out of cable cards the first time. The installer told me right away that he had only been able to get 50% of the tivo installs to work but he came prepared with extra cable cards.

The first card installed with no problems, got the hd channels right away. The card was a Motorola 4.05.

The second card got the network HD channels but now TNTHD, ESPNHD, etc. The card firmware on that one was Motorola 4.21. After repeating the numbers back and forth and I guess the CSR on the phone "hitting" the card, he tried another Motorola 4.21. It gave an error 161-4 but then the CSR hung up on him. We waited about 15 minutes on hold to get another CSR and in the meantime I tried the card again and it worked. The installer said she closed the work order and that made it work.

The installer had a different set of instructions for installing but I asked him to follow the instruction Tivo included. Before he left, I made him a copy to take to the next customer.

I am happy with the results so far.
purplerhino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #477
ChuckyBox

Spoke too soon. Came home to find the FUSOD. It was the new card. Pulled it. Back to where I was: one tuner with everything, one analog only. Good times.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 AM   #478
cotton168

Hang in there ChuckyBox. If you need help, let me know and I'll give you the number to my supervisor tech since you are also located in SG area. PM me and I'll get you his number. He works Sundays through Thursdays.

As for me, after the last time I wrote, I must say that I am very happy with what I have so far (knock on wood). Both CCs work and Charter did not have to come back out since they last came. Still a little cautious especially when my brother accidentally unplugged the S3, but all channels came back on again. Hoping the CCs will stay like this for a LONG time.

Best of luck to everyone else who still are having problems.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #479
wwschoening

RE: Recording two programs

I commented earlier about programs not recording once I installed the second cable card. I went through another round of Restart and Repeat Guided Setup and that solved the problem. It could be that I did them in the wrong order when I added the second cable card.

Charter made a big deal about putting the cards in themselves most of the time, but other times said I could do. I bullied the local office into giving the second one two me and it was easy. The hardest part is writing down all the numbers and then realizing that I needed to go back through Restart and Guided Setup. Since my S3 was working before getting the cable cards, I missed any requirement to repeat those steps, so the Charter guy and I scrambled for an hour trying to figure out what to do.
wwschoening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #480
boferguson

Resolution in NC

Well, I had my final tech visit today (knock on wood) and things seem to finally be working. Not that Charter didn't try to screw it up (after repeated reminders to call my cellphone, not my home phone, for today's appt., Charter finally calls my cellphone saying "where are you? We've been trying to call you at home all day....").

Anyway, here's what worked. The tech, though very nice, knew nothing about cablecards and admitted it. We went through the same two or three things I had tried previously (double check data and host info, etc). Finally, he asked the account folks (I think you guys call this the head-end) to do a "cold" hit on the cards. It worked. My missing channels all showed up immediately. Apparently a cold hit is different from the usual reset command. He said he is reluctant to call one in because it will either work... or fry the hardware.

Well, it worked. What is interesting is that the guy admitted that Charter has done ZERO to train techs on cable-cards. He said there are so few in our service area that he would be surprised if Charter does much to support them. Nonetheless, I sent him away with a printout of the configuration info from techdigs that I found elsewhere on this website -- he was very grateful.

So, for now, I am happy. If only it had come in time for MNF....
boferguson is offline   Reply With Quote