TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #91
MichaelK

give weakness time- if a raid card will work on the internal sata connector they'll come up with some bracket!

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #92
jlib
Lean Forward

Thecus is using a PCI card in there!
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #93
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Thecus is using a PCI card in there!
It's just a connector. No PCI electronics.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #94
ashu
User title defunct

(FYI, not a great deal or anything, just amazed me Costco carried such things!)

Cavalry 2TB SATA external Hard Drive

$999.99 Shipped (+ Tax)

Gratuitous copy-paste ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by costco website
he optimum combination of mega storage capacity 2 channel 1 TB per channel SATA speed and superior RAID security, this powerful RAID subsystem comes in an 8-bay array with hot-swappable hard disks and RAID controller with PCI express host adapter.

Ideal for saving hefty files, video, music, protecting databases or working directly on the drive, it delivers high-capacity performance and data Security.

2 channel 1TB per channel for RAID 0 Configuration
1.5TB useable formatted RAID 5
SATA RAID controller card with PCI Express, PCI-X or PCI
SATA cable included
8 hot-swappable drives
19 separate fans for cooling
300 watt power supply
Dimensions: 18" x 17" x 7"
Weight: 12 lbs
For additional questions regarding this product you may visit: www.cavalrystorage.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #95
jlib
Lean Forward

Nice. So, it comes with the hard disks at that price?

(Not usable for Tivo, by the way)
Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #96
greg_burns
Now in HD

Well I got my Sata->eSata cable today and hooked it up.

This is with 2 400GB WD drives...

Surprised at how much seeking is taking place on the Thecus. Much noisier than it ever was just connected to my PC.

Last edited by greg_burns : 10-16-2006 at 05:48 PM. Reason: sp
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #97
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
Surprised at how much seeking is taking place on the Thecus. Much noisier than it ever was just connected to my PC.
That's expected. Right? That's why I use Seagate on PC but not on TiVo.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #98
wackymann

Very cool stuff! I think I will end up waiting and buy a nice, quiet 750GB single drive after they have been out for a while - and the prices come down a bit - probably next summer? I think I can survive on my 250 until then. But it's very nice to see that there are other options out there! Thanks for breaking ground on this stuff.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #99
greg_burns
Now in HD

You know, I had the Thecus sitting on my son's plastic drawing table in that picture above. As soon as I set it on the floor, the noise level went way down.

Edit: OK, it quieted done some. Not a whole lot really.

In fact, since I'm now free to separate the S3 and the Thecus I may put it inside the bottom cabinet outta sight and sound.

I also hadn't turned on accoustic manangement settings on these drives yet either. Anybody every figure out if you can use the Hitcachi Feature Tool with Sata drives?

Last edited by greg_burns : 10-16-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #100
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Anybody every figure out if you can use the Hitcachi Feature Tool with Sata drives?
It worked with an IDE-SATA adapter. Don't know about native SATA support.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #101
MichaelK

Quote:
You know, I had the Thecus sitting on my son's plastic drawing table in that picture above. As soon as I set it on the floor, the noise level went way down.

Edit: OK, it quieted done some. Not a whole lot really.

In fact, since I'm now free to separate the S3 and the Thecus I may put it inside the bottom cabinet outta sight and sound.

I also hadn't turned on accoustic manangement settings on these drives yet either. Anybody every figure out if you can use the Hitcachi Feature Tool with Sata drives?

you can use the linux hdparm commands to enable acoustic management.

search for my post in the s3 thread in the upgrade forums to get the syntax. It's very simple. No need to fiddle with another disk- just use knoppix or whatever linux you are booting to anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #102
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Anybody every figure out if you can use the Hitachi Feature Tool with Sata drives?
Since you can use it to turn off SATA II features I would think so.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #103
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK

search for my post in the s3 thread in the upgrade forums to get the syntax. It's very simple. No need to fiddle with another disk- just use knoppix or whatever linux you are booting to anyway.
I wonder if it is too late now that it is part of a RAID array. I don't know that hdparm commands or Hitachi Feature Tool will work with the drives still mounted in the Thecus. If I take it out, won't it trash the RAID 0?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #104
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
I wonder if it is too late now that it is part of a RAID array. I don't know that hdparm commands or Hitachi Feature Tool will work with the drives still mounted in the Thecus. If I take it out, won't it trash the RAID 0?
Most likely the tool would not work with a virtual drive. Just set the AAM individually and put the drives back in the same Thecus slot. Some RAID boxes can also detect that the drives have been swapped, but to be safe, don't swap them.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #105
greg_burns
Now in HD

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks MichaelK (and the rest of you guys as well)!

Booted Knoppix and followed your hdparm commands from other thread . Had me thinking it didn't work at first when it came back with:

HDIO_GET_ACCOUSTIC failed: Inappropirate ioctl fro device

But when I ran hdparm -I /dev/sdX again it showed the value changed to 128. And what a difference is noise level! Barely here it anymore. Amazing.

When I pulled the drives out they were RED HOT! They had only been running in the Thecus for about 3 hours. I hope slowing them down will help reduce the heat a little as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 AM   #106
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
When I pulled the drives out they were RED HOT!
That's not a good. Is the fan always running?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 AM   #107
gmark

Got some possibly dumb questions.

1) Is there any difference between the pictures or sound you get on the Comast PVR vs. the S3?
2) Does the sound circuitry do anything for non-THX-encoded program material? I. e., will I just buy an optical cable and hear better sound out of my home theater for "normal" TV?
3) Is there any problem with the On-Demand stuff? I. e., not having that Comcast dedicated "on-Demand" button any problem?
4) Are there any provisions for external HDs? E. g., via a USB port or something? I'm a bit hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket by putting huge HDs in a machine, when a single HD could fail.
TIA!

Mark
gmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 AM   #108
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmark
Got some possibly dumb questions.

1) Is there any difference between the pictures or sound you get on the Comast PVR vs. the S3?
2) Does the sound circuitry do anything for non-THX-encoded program material? I. e., will I just buy an optical cable and hear better sound out of my home theater for "normal" TV?
3) Is there any problem with the On-Demand stuff? I. e., not having that Comcast dedicated "on-Demand" button any problem?
4) Are there any provisions for external HDs? E. g., via a USB port or something? I'm a bit hesitant to put all my eggs in one basket by putting huge HDs in a machine, when a single HD could fail.
TIA!

Mark
Yes

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=315791
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #109
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
That's not a good. Is the fan always running?
Yep, fan is running. I just pulled the cover off this morning and touched a drive. Still too hot to be able to hold. Don't recall if that was normal for these WD drive or not.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #110
MichaelK

Quote:
Thanks MichaelK (and the rest of you guys as well)!

Booted Knoppix and followed your hdparm commands from other thread . Had me thinking it didn't work at first when it came back with:

HDIO_GET_ACCOUSTIC failed: Inappropirate ioctl fro device

But when I ran hdparm -I /dev/sdX again it showed the value changed to 128. And what a difference is noise level! Barely here it anymore. Amazing.

When I pulled the drives out they were RED HOT! They had only been running in the Thecus for about 3 hours. I hope slowing them down will help reduce the heat a little as well.

I got that same iotcl error- I thought it was me- but yup when i checked it did get set right...

I wonder what that means...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #111
MichaelK

Quote:
Yep, fan is running. I just pulled the cover off this morning and touched a drive. Still too hot to be able to hold. Don't recall if that was normal for these WD drive or not.

can you get SMART tools to work on raid drives? so you can querry the drives for a temp (but you would need to pull them quickly from the tivo and boot them fast to somethign that can check via SMART.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #112
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
can you get SMART tools to work on raid drives? so you can querry the drives for a temp (but you would need to pull them quickly from the tivo and boot them fast to somethign that can check via SMART.
Only know how to do that from a windows app. That wouldn't be good for my Tivo drive.

Some drives just run much hotter than others. The reviews on newegg for this drive seems to concur with that.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822144423

If the upper limit seems to be 1TB, I may just order two WD 500 GB. Anybody have experience with them? I hear they are quiet, but what about the heat?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #113
MichaelK

good point- the only programs I know that look at the SMART info are windows- that would be bad...
Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #114
jlib
Lean Forward

greg_burns, can you give me any further comments on the fan noise and cooling issues after having used the Thecus N2050 for a while now? What size is the fan? 60mm? Does it use a third wire to monitor speed of the fan thus making it difficult to swap fans without alarms going off? You had mentioned the drives were extremely hot. Is that because it is a plasic case do you think? Do you think it needs better ventilation? I would want to put a quieter fan (read larger, slower) on it. Would I be able to carve out a spot for an 80mm (computer case size) fan? I am not someone who cares about voiding warranties. I have a couple WD 500s I could use (that seems to be its maximum capacity).

Last edited by jlib : 10-30-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #115
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
greg_burns, can you give me any further comments of the fan noise and cooling issues after having used the Thecus N2050 for a while now? What size is the fan? 60mm? Does it use a third wire to monitor speed of the fan thus making it difficult to swap fans without alarms going off? You had mentioned the drives were extremely hot. Is that because it is a plasic case do you think? Do you think it need better ventilation? I would want to put a quieter fan (read larger, slower) on it. Would I be able to carve out a spot for an 80mm (computer case size) fan? I am not someone who care about voiding warranties. I have a couple WD 500s I could use (that seems to be its maximum capacity).
Yes, the fan is 2" diag, but considered 40mm I believe. It is 3 wire. There is no room at all for a larger fan. I believe the one in it is adequate. The whole system is pretty quiet. It wasn't at first, but after applying the accoustic managment to the WD drives inside, it is now. I think the two drives running inside are louder than the fan itself. I've removed the drives and had the fan running by itself just to test. Very quiet. Noise has not really been an issue with this setup IMO. My drives do get to be too hot to touch. From what I read, these 400GB WD's just run hot. I may swap them for that 500GB WD pair myself.

I have a one of these rebranded Sans Digital running off my PC right now. It is so loud it is grating on my nerves. Not sure if it just the fans (it has two, 30&40mm) in there or the model of drives I have (2 250GB WD I believe). Nicely constructed, not plastic like the Thecus. Its price put me off more than anything. Haven't even attempted to figure out why it is so loud. It is on loan from work and going back shortly.

The Thecus' limit is stated as 1TB. (Or are you referring to the Tivos?) Not sure why the Thecus whould have that limit though. Sometimes they just advertise it that way, because that was the largest drive pair you could buy when it came out. Could be wrong though. (Seen that on motherboards all the time, model X support up to Y GHz proc in manual. But in reality it takes the fastest cpu available.)

My biggest beef currently is the freaking light show on the front. Very distracting in my entertainment center. Would like to put the drive behind it out of site, but I purchased the in spec 1m sata cable which doesn't give me much wiggle room.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #116
c3
TiVoholic

Unless the drives really run too hot for the fan, the enclosure may not be properly designed to direct the airflow across the drives.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #117
jlib
Lean Forward

It is alarming that most of the listed WD drives are flagged as incompatible and the WD 500 Caviar or RE2 is not listed either way. Not very good odds that it would work with a WD 500.

I found this case mod project on a related Thecus model. Apparently excessive heat is a common concern with the Thecus enclosures.

There is even a budding Thecus User Group which is good because these small Taiwanese computer hardware companies have little or no tech support. And guess what, just now I see a user reports the WD 500 is incompatible with the Thecus N2050. I guess that is the end of my RAID project for now...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #118
greg_burns
Now in HD

Thanks for those links. I posted my success with WD4000KD drives. That is very surprising there is incompatibilities with drives.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #119
greg_burns
Now in HD

How hot is too hot?

Quote:
We'll my RAID array finally died tonight. Was rebooting after installing a cable amp and it got stuck on the powering up screen.

Decided to take the opportunity to pull the drives and see just how hot there were. Took a couple minutes to get them out of the Thecus and connect them separately to my PC. Actually had to wear gloves they were that hot!

First tried booting to Hitachi Feature Tool cd but it said it couldn't read the drive temps for some reason.

Decided to go ahead and boot into Windows (knowing I will need to reimage) and try running SpeedFan.

It reported 52C on both drives. That was after about 10 minutes of being out of the Thecus. They are currently down to 48C. Going to let them run just connected to my PC overnight to see what their normal operating temp are out in the open.

My PC's 120GB WD is only running at 37C as a comparison.

Edit: temps after running all night connected to my PC idling is 44C.

Last edited by greg_burns : 11-02-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #120
c3
TiVoholic

If you cannot hold the drive with your bare hand, I would say it's too hot.