TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 AM   #181
rjrcm

Cox in Phoenix. After seeing all the problems, glad my install went reasonably well today. Took about 20 minutes including waiting for all the channels to appear. 2nd card seemed bad, but he had extras, and next one worked. Be sure that the cards are pushed in all the way - had to nudge the first one to get it connected.

Only gripe is I was told in email that the install charge would be $34.95, but the phone and store reps told me $49.95 - said the extra $15 was to set up the HD connection - what a crock. Anyway - was in time to record Lost which worked perfectly .
rjrcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #182
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm
Only gripe is I was told in email that the install charge would be $34.95, but the phone and store reps told me $49.95 - said the extra $15 was to set up the HD connection - what a crock. Anyway - was in time to record Lost which worked perfectly .
Hey, it takes extra time to setup all those extra HD bits that are being sent to your TV. Cut them some slack. (I am totally kidding, that is a crock)
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #183
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Cox Phoenix here doing mine now.

Inserting the first card put the Cable card menu in a scrolling loop. I re-booted the Tivo and was able to get in and see the Cablecard info.

Tech called it in.

Inserted #2, and the 'a cablecard was just interted' message came up. We waited a bit and just dove into the cablecard info screen so he could call it in.

The tech called in card #2.

everything worked except I wasn't getting the HD channels (well, besides the local channels). Another call from the tech, a re-hit and I was in business!

They installed 2 SA cards.

<edit>
After the techs left I lost a few random blocks of digital channels. I have a trouble ticket in to resolve the issue.
</edit>
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works

Last edited by Shawn95GT : 10-06-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #184
Shades

Arrow More Cox S3 woes...

So, Cox was out here today to fix my problems. I already determined my signal was low, so I had removed some splitters from my cable path and added a signal booster before the tech arrived. That got my signal up to the 82-85 range which improved my reception and got rid of the mpeg tiling, but didn't help with my missing channels.

The tech arrived, and looked at the set up. Everything was still working fine on my main tuner, but the second tuner still would only pick up analog signals. He removed the remaining splitters and the signal booster from my line to be sure there was no other issues and even ran a new line from the block in my yard to be sure there was no problems with the buried cable. Everything looked fine, and my signal now was up to 92-95 on the box, but the 2nd tuner still wasn't getting digital signals.

After calling in to get the auth signal sent again with no result, he finally decided it was time to replace the 2nd cablecard as I had requested. After removing and replacing that card and going through the cablecard id call in and re-auth, it still didn't work... and in fact, now both units refuse to recieve digital signals. He removed both cards, replaced them, and no difference. Both show as Authentication Recieved and both show as operating normally in the diagnostics.

To make a long story short, its now been several hours of changing settings, and we're both out of ideas... he's called everyone he knows at Cox and nobody has any more ideas. So, we check my digital cable box that drives my old S2 TiVo and find that that one is acting weird too... he checks some stuff and it looks like there is a problem with the network since it is no longer communicating bi-directionally. So we put everything back together, the tech calls it in and then leaves. At least my signal is in the 82-89 range now without the amp, so I shouldn't have any more signal strength issues.

So, now after 4 hours of trying to get my 2nd tuner working properly, neither tuner on my S3 works with digital channels, and I have to wait for a followup service call to check into the network problems. If it doesn't suddently start working in the next day or two, I have to schedule another call to have another tech come out to work on it.

Fun stuff.

Hopefully there isnt' a problem with my TiVo itself... even with the new cards its still doing the stuff with randomly switching diagnostic screens on its own every few seconds whenever I go into any of the CableCard diagnostic menus.

Btw, I went through the guided setup again once before when I had both cablecards installed originally, does anyone know for sure if I need to do it again with the new replacement cards? The idea was to configure the channels I recieve, but that was already done. I am hoping I don't, since I have some programming left to watch and would prefer not to have to re-do my season passes again.

-Darrin
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #185
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades
...At least my signal is in the 82-89 range now without the amp, so I shouldn't have any more signal strength issues...
Sounds a little low to me still. As a point of comparison my digital cable channels show 96-97 signal strength with S3 diagnostics. My OTA channels are in the 80s (expected since I'm 50+ miles from broadcast antennas and using indoor antenna) but OTA is usually OK to have lower signal strength based on my experience with PC tuners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #186
moyekj

Cox, Orange County, CA here. Took 3.5 hours and a lot of patience but finally both CableCards are up and running and tuning all channels I subscribe to. Here's my summary of the process for those that haven't been through the nightmare yet:

1. After installing the cablecard be patient, it takes 2 minutes or so for the CableCard MMI (CableCard Pairing) screen to come up and it will do so automatically.
2. For Cox the relevant numbers that need to be called in from the Pairing screen are: CableCard, Host, Data
(The UnitAddress number is not used - at least for Cox OC)
3. After entering the above numbers into their system this is where things went wrong for me. From the headend side the system confirms everything is correct and the CC is communicating with the headend. Following the next step in instructions it says go to the CC Test Channels section - WRONG! For 1st cablecard we waited about 30 minutes at the "Obtaining Channels" swirl screen and eventually a timeout screen appeared saying to try again. So we tried again and waited another 30 minutes or so at which point it timed out again. Then the installer goes and cuts cables, disconnects amp, re-crimps cables, etc. etc. which I assured him was all worthless and then we reboot and try with a new CC - same result.
THE KEY AT THIS POINT IS AFTER ENTERING THE CC NUMBERS ON HEADEND SIDE THEY MUST THEN PERFORM A COLD INITIATE. A few minutes after this is done you should get an error screen with 161-4 - THIS IS A GOOD SIGN THAT THINGS ARE WORKING.
4. After receiving the 161-4 error screen then everything falls into place. (In my case the Tivo froze at this point and I had to reboot). Go over to Test Channels and you have to wait a few more minutes for all proper channels to be authorized.
5. Make sure you check all encrypted channels that you care about to see they are properly authorized. In my case they had to re-hit the CC yet again for some channels to work.

6. Jump up with joy and share a beer with the installer before attempting CC #2.
7. Now you can repeat process with CC#2. I had a lot of trouble getting CC # 2 to receive some premium channels - the authentication wasn't sticking properly. Finally we found that by channeling through some unencrypted channels first in the test phase and then heading over to premium channels we got it to work, and we had a mini-party.
8. Now you should redo guided setup. I couldn't convince the installer to stay any longer at this point (after 3.5 hours) but everything went smoothly from there.

Anyway, the key takeaway is there is an additional step that must be performed from the headend after they think they have entered the numbers from the Pairing screen and their system shows the card is communicating OK. They need to do a cold restart of the card to "wake it up".

Now I have my system setup with both OTA & Cable. So far so good but only time will tell if it remains that way...

Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #187
Dark Helmet

Quote:
So, Cox was out here today to fix my problems. I already determined my signal was low, so I had removed some splitters from my cable path and added a signal booster before the tech arrived. That got my signal up to the 82-85 range which improved my reception and got rid of the mpeg tiling, but didn't help with my missing channels.
So, some dumb questions:

What kind of amp did you buy? One that is labelled as being bi-directional?

Did you try putting terminating resistors on unused outlets?

(I admit these are both shots in the dark, but it sounds like you have some "weird" communication issues)

Quote:
Hopefully there isnt' a problem with my TiVo itself... even with the new cards its still doing the stuff with randomly switching diagnostic screens on its own every few seconds whenever I go into any of the CableCard diagnostic menus.
I was under the impression (but I am NOT sure) the card is "initializing" whenever
it does that. I had that problem with a bad CableCard as well.

Quote:
Btw, I went through the guided setup again once before when I had both cablecards installed originally, does anyone know for sure if I need to do it again with the new replacement cards? The idea was to configure the channels I recieve, but that was already done. I am hoping I don't, since I have some programming left to watch and would prefer not to have to re-do my season passes again.
I don't think you do. I think the Tivo might _suggest_ it, but I don't think it's a requirement. Also, does re-doing guided setup clear out your season passes?
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #188
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I think the Tivo might _suggest_ it, but I don't think it's a requirement. Also, does re-doing guided setup clear out your season passes?
It does not clear out your Season Passes. I Just had the CCs in tonight and all my SPs from antenna recordings are all still there. Also reportedly if you had SPs setup on antenna channels and then you disable antenna during guided setup the S3 will automatically try and match them up to channels in your cable lineup.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #189
NOD
Chim Richalds

woohoo!

The cc installation (which I scheduled 3 days after ordering on launch day) finally happened a couple of hours ago here in New Orleans, and went off w/o a hitch. It was the first one this guy had installed on a Tivo, and he said they had been briefly told about it, and that they had been told to follow the Tivo instructions. It took about an hour (in large part b/c, when the guy at the headend modified my account, he had accidentally lost the GI numbers on the 2 Motorola 6200's that I own and deleted them).

Once we got that straightened out, it only took about 20 minutes
NOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #190
moyekj

Soon after my dual CC install I noticed Universal HD (UHD) channel would just give me grey screen on either tuner. I would not get any authorization problem messages and when I press Info button it would give info on current program but no video or audio. Checking all CC & diagnostic screens did not reveal anything abnormal. So finally I went to CC Test Channels and after a while of channeling up and down all of a sudden UHD started working. I then went to Test Channels on other tuner and confirmed it was OK there. After that now that channel and all others I have tried are working properly. Weird...

Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #191
pfunky

Just a heads up for anyone who already was using a CableCard in their TV before getting their S3. When my S3 arrived, I yanked the card from the TV and inserted it into the S3, and it worked. Apparently, Cox Wichita (Kansas) didn't pair the card with the TV, perhaps that's a common thing.

Saved me $30 installation charge for that card. Still have to pay the other $30 for the second card though (completely ridiculous).
pfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #192
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunky
Just a heads up for anyone who already was using a CableCard in their TV before getting their S3. When my S3 arrived, I yanked the card from the TV and inserted it into the S3, and it worked. Apparently, Cox Wichita (Kansas) didn't pair the card with the TV, perhaps that's a common thing.

Saved me $30 installation charge for that card. Still have to pay the other $30 for the second card though (completely ridiculous).
In Salina, KS they charged me $49.95 total for both cards installed. I do not think they charge and install fee for each card.

FYI, I also have a CC in my TV which has its own cable feed. This way, if Tivo is recording two programs, we can still watch live TV on a third channel.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #193
TiVo-rific

COX Orange County charges $39.95 for installation per card. I installed 4 cards into 2 S3s. When I got the bill I complained about the cost and they refunded 3 of the installation charges.
TiVo-rific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #194
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo-rific
COX Orange County charges $39.95 for installation per card. I installed 4 cards into 2 S3s. When I got the bill I complained about the cost and they refunded 3 of the installation charges.
I also had to call in for a correction as I was billed 2*$39.95 for CC installation - they were very courteous and understanding and changed the installation charge to the single $39.95. It's still a little unclear as to the monthly charges change but from my last talk with a CSR it was supposedly just going to be 2*$1.99 for CC rental charges (with no additional outlet fees). Shall see for sure on the bill for November.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #195
pfunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman
In Salina, KS they charged me $49.95 total for both cards installed. I do not think they charge and install fee for each card.

FYI, I also have a CC in my TV which has its own cable feed. This way, if Tivo is recording two programs, we can still watch live TV on a third channel.
Yup, I just got off the phone with a guy named "Silver" at Cox. He told me that cablecards are now $50 for installation. He was blaming it on gov. regulations, and that it wasn't under their control. Total BS. ( even THIS FCC report seems to indicate that it's up to each company to set their price)

I was going to do the same, and have them insert another one back into my TV, but he told me it would be YET ANOTHER $50 for that. So I told him no for now.
pfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #196
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

FYI, got my 1st bill from Cox... beware of hidden fees.

Besides the cablecard fees they charge a 'digital gateway' fee per cablecard which is another $6 for the 2nd card besides the cablecard fee.

Yeah, this is 'so' much better than satellite .

I'm paying about $10/mo than I was paying with my previous cable company and I picked up High def in the deal and lost unlimited long distance on the phone side.

Ahh well, the S3 makes it all worth it.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #197
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT

Besides the cablecard fees they charge a 'digital gateway' fee per cablecard which is another $6 for the 2nd card besides the cablecard fee.
I've been thinking about complaining to the FCC about this extra fee. If you get the Cox DVR (which has two tuners in one box), you pay only one digital gateway fee. It seems anti-competitive to charge someone with a TiVo 2 digital gateway fees for the same functionality.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #198
XBR

Quote:

Their website says:
Quote:
Valid with Limited Basic Service, includes on-screen guide, access to premium channels, indemand pay-per-view, plus 72 music choice channels.
So if you're already paying for the Cox Digital Cable service, which already includes those services, I'd say they're ripping you off.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #199
TravisKU
The Cable Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman

I'm waiting to get my bill. When I called they tried to tell me it was $50 install per card. He said this was dictated by CableLabs. I told him, he needs to check on it.

Travis

Last edited by TravisKU : 10-14-2006 at 06:10 PM.
TravisKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #200
Dick Kalagher

The "digital gateway fee" per card or outlet is the one thing that keeps me with directTV. It's essentially a fee for not using analog? Total ripoff!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #201
jasonpot

Cox Las Vegas

Called Cox Las Vegas after purchasing the S3. They informed me I could pickup the CableCARDs at the Rancho office. Drive down there on my lunch hour and they say they must be installed and they didn't even have the CableCARDs at that location. Fortunately, they scheduled my install for the very next day between 3-5

Around 4pm the installer shows up with 2 CableCARDs in his shirt pocket. He asks me if they are going into a Tivo I say yes, and he said he thought so. I asked if he'd ever installed the cards into a Tivo before and he said he had, but he huffled and puffed a littled about how long they took.

The install went perfectly and took 20 mins. He inserted the first card, called in and read off the HOST ID, and did the same for the 2nd. All channels worked instantly.

Very pleased with everything. Now I just need an OTA antenna and transfer my liftime from my SVR2000 and I'll be good to go.
jasonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #202
CharlieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOD
woohoo!

The cc installation (which I scheduled 3 days after ordering on launch day) finally happened a couple of hours ago here in New Orleans, and went off w/o a hitch. It was the first one this guy had installed on a Tivo, and he said they had been briefly told about it, and that they had been told to follow the Tivo instructions. It took about an hour (in large part b/c, when the guy at the headend modified my account, he had accidentally lost the GI numbers on the 2 Motorola 6200's that I own and deleted them).

Once we got that straightened out, it only took about 20 minutes

How much does Cox charge for CableCards in New Orleans or Baton Rouge?
CharlieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #203
TheChadAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpot
Called Cox Las Vegas after purchasing the S3. They informed me I could pickup the CableCARDs at the Rancho office. Drive down there on my lunch hour and they say they must be installed and they didn't even have the CableCARDs at that location. Fortunately, they scheduled my install for the very next day between 3-5
I spoke to a supervisor at Cox and had them refund the entire cost of the truck roll and card install because I was told that I could pick up the cards at the local office and was then told that they had to be installed after I had driven all the way down there and waited for my number to be called. Its up to you, but I was glad to get that $50 back for my trouble.
TheChadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #204
TheChadAZ

Quote:

Yeah, this is 'so' much better than satellite .

I'm paying about $10/mo than I was paying with my previous cable company and I picked up High def in the deal and lost unlimited long distance on the phone side.

Ahh well, the S3 makes it all worth it.
Here is my cable bill from AFTER cable cards (the number before the charge is quantity and is included in the fee):
COX LIMITED BASIC 2 19.95
COX EXPANDED SERVICE 2 20.00
DIGITAL GATEWAY SERVICE 2 7.00
VARIETY TIER 2 5.00
HBO 2 12.95
SHOWTIME 2 7.00
COX HDTV 2 0.00
HD EXPANDED TIER 2 0.00
COX CABLECARD 2 4.00
Total Monthly Cable Service $75.90

Here is my cable bill from BEFORE cable cards:
COX LIMITED BASIC 1 19.95
COX EXPANDED SERVICE 1 20.00
DIGITAL GATEWAY SERVICE 1 5.00
VARIETY TIER 1 5.00
HBO 1 10.95
SHOWTIME 1 5.95
HD DIGITAL RECEIVER 1 10.00
COX HDTV 1 0.00
HD EXPANDED TIER 1 0.00
Total Monthly Cable Service $76.85

Cox also increased the fee for the premium services (hbo and showtime) in the Phoenix market and that increase is not because of the cable cards. All in all, the two cable cards comes out cheaper than a single cable box.
TheChadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #205
daffydude

Ok, I just got off the phone with COX. What a terribly system. It will cost me 16 dollars a month for 2 cablecards. I live in a dorm at UCSB, so we do not get HD service. We get standard service, and I can get ABC in HD with an antenna.

My question is, what will I be losing by just sticking with standard cable, and not using the cablecards? I have had the 8300HD and it is the biggest piece of garbage. Will I still be able to get my premium channels(HBO, Showtime)? Thanks for the help!
daffydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #206
scott816

Had Cox Fairfax install my two CC's today and i am happy to report it only took about 25 minutes. Each card costs 1.99 a month but they charge you twice for the digital gateways. When my bill arrives i am going to complain about being charged for two digital gateways since their HD DVR has dual tuners and they only charged one digital gateway. I don't see the difference.
scott816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #207
XBR

Folks, Cox here in Orange County, CA told me Cox Digital Gateway does not apply if you subscribe to Cox Digital Cable or Cox Digital Cable Deluxe. It only applies if you only want the digital music channels, PPV and the guide but don't care to have the digital cable channels. If you are already subscribing to Cox Digital Cable or Cox Digital Cable Deluxe and they're also dinging you for Cox Digital Gateway, I would think you're getting double-dipped.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #208
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR
Folks, Cox here in Orange County, CA told me Cox Digital Gateway does not apply if you subscribe to Cox Digital Cable or Cox Digital Cable Deluxe. It only applies if you only want the digital music channels, PPV and the guide but don't care to have the digital cable channels. If you are already subscribing to Cox Digital Cable or Cox Digital Cable Deluxe and they're also dinging you for Cox Digital Gateway, I would think you're getting double-dipped.
That's correct. I'm in OC and kept my digital service and will be charged for:
2*$1.99 CC rental
2*$1.59 additional outlet fee (arguably should only be 1 for 1 Tivo box)
After trial period is over and I'm confident about the S3 I will be returning the Cox DVR so expect to be able to drop to 1 additional outlet fee (though arguably there shouldn't be any with 1 Tivo box and no cable box) in addition to the DVR box rental fee & the DVR service fee.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #209
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR
You guys have a different rate structure (which I find surprising, but there you have it). Cox/Fairfax has a "Each additional Digital outlet" charge of $5.95/month (it's not called Digital Gateway ... in Cox/Fairfax, "Digital Gateway" is required to get any digital channels). I think that's what the original poster was talking about. I don't mind paying the cost of one additional digital outlet for the Tivo, but the cost of two digital outlets sticks in my craw. I guess your additional outlet fee is $1.50/month.

Perhaps us Cox/Fairfax customers should all complain to Fairfax County? They seem to be the relevant governing body. You can even do it online.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #210
Dark Helmet

Filed my complaint

Well, I just filed my complaint with Fairfax County regarding getting charged for two digital outlet fees (I did try going through Cox CSR rep, who basically told me the extra charge was Tivo's fault). Did anyone else complaint to their municipality or relevant governing authority? I don't know if anything will come of this, but I figure it's worth a shot.