TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
xkleyx

Need help with CableCard and Cable Company

I know somewhere on this board there is a phone number or some type of protocol to go through to have TiVo help deal with cable companies who will not supply cable cards for the S3, but I cannot find it. I spoke to 3 people, including a supervisor, at Insight about this and even stated multiple times that this machine was cablelabs certified and that they were required to by an FCC mandate. No go. I am absolutely livid and need some help. Any is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Call in to our support line and one of our agents will perform a 3-way call with you and your provider.

Additionally, please take a moment to fill out the form at http://www.tivo.com/series3hdDvr_cc.asp to let us know what your CableCARD experience has been like. We will likely follow up with the provider from a different avenue as well, but it is not a substitute for having one of our agents on the phone with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
xkleyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Call in to our support line and one of our agents will perform a 3-way call with you and your provider.

Additionally, please take a moment to fill out the form at http://www.tivo.com/series3hdDvr_cc.asp to let us know what your CableCARD experience has been like. We will likely follow up with the provider from a different avenue as well, but it is not a substitute for having one of our agents on the phone with you.
Wow that was fast! I am on hold for customer service right now-too bad that's not as fast .

Thank you so much.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Riverdome

Hands down the best customer service EVER. It's not Tivo's fault or responsibility to talk to your cable company but they are stepping up and going the extra mile to make the customer experience as painless as possible. Way to go Tivo
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
jfh3

Look at the FAQ thread.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
xkleyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome
Hands down the best customer service EVER. It's not Tivo's fault or responsibility to talk to your cable company but they are stepping up and going the extra mile to make the customer experience as painless as possible. Way to go Tivo
Agreed.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Sent via PM...

Hi Jerry,

I think I need to do this. I called VIP # and they gave me a case number and transfered me somewhere, but I could not get an answer.

The situation is this. I have no cable cards at the moment. I have found several (unencrypted?) SD digital channels using channel scan (ie. 400's music channels & some foreign channels on like 90-6 to 90-12) on which I can get audio and video. Also Scan found nearly 300 other digital channels (encrypted?) that I can't get any A/V on (gray screen/no sound.)

The above is about what I expected, although there is no guide data for the viewable ones, and I have to hunt through each channel to see if it is viewable.

The problem is Channel Scan isn't going above the 400's to the HD Channels (700's) I expected to find at least unencrypted HD OTA affiliates there.

I am in a kind of vortex between Adelphia and TWC where it seems I may not be able to get a CableCard until next year. The folks at the physical office in town said the HD channels may be on different ones than than the 700's the cable box displays, but could not tell me where to look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
mattn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Sent via PM...

Hi Jerry,
<snip>
The problem is Channel Scan isn't going above the 400's to the HD Channels (700's) I expected to find at least unencrypted HD OTA affiliates there.

Any help would be appreciated.
I can answer this one ... the channel scan does it by frequency. There is no frequency in the "700's". That is what the CableCARD is for, to re-map something like "89-2" (frequency) into channel 732 in your lineup.

My 4 QAM InTheClear HD channels are at 68-1, 68-2, 69-1, 69-2; but w/ CableCARD they would re-map to: channels 652, 654, 653, 655 respectively.

# Matt
Series 3 HD (+eSATA 750 GB)
mattn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm shocked that you actually broke down and bought a S3. I thought you were the president of the Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd$ $3 F@n Club?

Like Matt said the actual frequency being used for each digital channel is not actually what they are listed as on your cable box. The only way to figure out the actual frequency is to go through the scanned channels one by one until you find them, or try to find a list somewhere. The first place I would look is over on AVS forum. They have lots of people with QAM based tuners who have already done the leg work for most areas.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Thanks Dan and Matt.

So the hunt and peck method I used to find the Foreign SD digitals was the right track. Yeah, I've got about 275 to search through still, and no guide data with the ones I find.

Yeah, I admitted to ordering an S3 1.5 wks ago. It doesn't have much chance of making it past the 30 days; this lack of CC availability pretty much sinks it. Looking forward to Jan/Feb '07.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
jodell
TiVo geek

Are you in a location that can receive OTA HD? If so, the S3 will work nicely for a surprising number of channels in many areas. Good luck with the CC saga.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
this lack of CC availability pretty much sinks it. Looking forward to Jan/Feb '07.
Why is it, exactly, that you can't get CableCARDs. Both Adelphia and TWC are part of the "big 6" who were mandated by the FCC to provide CableCARDs. I can't imagine a scenario that would make your market exempt even if they are in the middle of a transition. (they've been available for a couple of years, there must be at least a few people in your area using them)

Dan
Old 10-07-2006, 07:15 AM   #13
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
Why is it, exactly, that you can't get CableCARDs. Both Adelphia and TWC are part of the "big 6" who were mandated by the FCC to provide CableCARDs. I can't imagine a scenario that would make your market exempt even if they are in the middle of a transition. (they've been available for a couple of years, there must be at least a few people in your area using them)

Dan
This is what I know and what I have been told on the subject:

1. A few weeks ago TWC took over my cable system from Adelphia.

2. I have been to both the "new" TWC office in one town and the "old" Adelphia office in another town, as well as on the phone with TWC (AD no longer answers phone.)

3. Both TWC and Adelphia claim CCs were never distributed/implemented in my system. They both state that sometime early next year they expect CCs to become available for my system.

4. The only place I can get new equipment is the old AD office. TWC claims they cannot give out equipment until next year, and (possibly) their equipment is not compatible currently. The implication I got also was that my system wasn't CC compatible and/or TWC had CCs, but could not start giving them out to my system for the same reason they can't give other equipment yet (whatever that is.)

5. TiVo support unhelpful (though TiVoJerry very helpful in explaining TiVo's position via PM) TiVo support told me something like "when" CCs are delivered is outside their jurisdiction.

6. It appears my situation is not eligible under TiVo's policy for TiVo to get on a 3-way call with the Cable Co.

I think that sums it all up.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

So basically Adelphia never implimented CableCARDs in your area. Which means even if there hadn't been a switchover you'd still be screwed. I wonder how they got away with that? The mandate has been in place since July 2004, and Adelphia was one of the big 6 specifically named in the mandate. The only way to get arround it is to either not offer digital cable at all, which doesn't sound like the case, or to specifically get a waiver from the FCC, which can only be done for very small markets.

Luckily it sounds like TWC is going to upgrade the system and start offering CableCARDs when they do. So at least you'll be able to get them eventually.

Dan
Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
allenplu

Some of that is true

I'm in that same situation. I'm in Placentia, California (close to Disneyland). I am in Adelphia now TWC. They claim their CCs are not compatible. The do have CCs implemented and you can get one for your TV. There are a few people in the South Bay area that was also Adelphia now TWC that got the CCs to work.

As it stands, I got one supervisor from the Colorado Springs call center to agree to send a tech out one more time. They are supposed to be here right now. Soon, hopefully.

I'll update if it works. The last time he was here, TiVo recognized the cards, but no channels came through.
allenplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #16
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenplu
you can get one for your TV.
If you can get one for your TV, you can get them for your Tivo. Their head-end systems won't know the difference between a TV and a Tivo.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
allenplu

Finally

Finally. Got a tech that was very nice, and he verified the IDs as he game them. After all this, it works. Now we'll see what happens when all of their lineups change next month. The provisioning will all change and who knows what will happen then.

Good luck on your's. Everything WILL work with TWC former Adelphia.
allenplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
optivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome
It's not Tivo's fault or responsibility to talk to your cable company but they are stepping up and going the extra mile to make the customer experience as painless as possible.
It's also not good PR for TiVo to be selling a product that is advertised to be digital cable ready when CATV providers won't allow subscribers to connect to their systems.
optivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #19
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
It\'s also not good PR for TiVo to be selling a product that is advertised to be digital cable ready when CATV providers won\'t allow subscribers to connect to their systems.
And, how is that TiVo\'s fault?
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #20
bicker
Gruff

Fault generally doesn't matter. What matters is the effect of the bad PR. I cannot count the number of people who's decision to purchase a Series 2 I've influenced. Similarly, if I'm not satisfied with my Series 3, I won't be able to count the number of people who's decision not to purchase a Series 3 I'll influence. Fault simply doesn't enter into it.

Regardless, if TiVo has actually released a product that they substantially cannot make work in a significant portion of their target market, then they've committed a grievous error in judgement. So that would indeed be their fault.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #21
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Regardless, if TiVo has actually released a product that they substantially cannot make work in a significant portion of their target market, then they've committed a grievous error in judgement. So that would indeed be their fault.
But that simply isn't true. I live in the Cleveland area. On my side of town TW, former Adelphia sent a field supervisor and a lead tech out to so through the install of my S3. On the other side of town someone was told they didn't have cabel cards (TW former Comcast). It just seems that it is new and even though TiVo has informed cable companies that they needed to be prepared, some simply ignored it while others paid attention. And it goes to show that these huge cable companies run like small independents marketing mostly the same product instead of one big company.

TiVo did what they needed to do. The cable company is the one that needs to get it together.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #22
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Quote:
But that simply isn't true.
We don't know that. There are an aweful lot of people complaining about missing channels. "Significant portion" of their target market is definitely within the realm of possibility, now.

Looks like between 20% and 40% of S3 owners trying to get the S3 to work with digital cable are having problems. That's pretty significant.

For folks struggling like this, it finally resolved itself for me: I am not sure if it mattered, but I left the S3 in the Test Channels area for a few hours.

Last edited by bicker : 10-09-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #23
optivity

Quote:
Fault generally doesn't matter. What matters is the effect of the bad PR. I cannot count the number of people who's decision to purchase a Series 2 I've influenced. Similarly, if I'm not satisfied with my Series 3, I won't be able to count the number of people who's decision not to purchase a Series 3 I'll influence. Fault simply doesn't enter into it.

Exactly, given my experience w/CableCARD & 50PX50U I'm done with purchasing another one-way DCR device. Sorry TiVo but your organization & the CATV providers will have to do better in order to entice me into spending $$$$ more for additional A/V equipment and programming services.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #24
jfh3

Quote:
We don't know that. There are an aweful lot of people complaining about missing channels. "Significant portion" of their target market is definitely within the realm of possibility, now.

Looks like between 20% and 40% of S3 owners trying to get the S3 to work with digital cable are having problems. That's pretty significant.

It's not significant if you are getting your percentages from polls on this board.

Between 20% and 40%? I'd be very surprised if the actual number even approaches double digits, let alone 20%.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #25
bicker
Gruff

With about half the people having some problems with CableCards installed, I think 20% to 40% seems right on target.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #26
ctakim
ctakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
It's not significant if you are getting your percentages from polls on this board.

Between 20% and 40%? I'd be very surprised if the actual number even approaches double digits, let alone 20%.
I would definitely agree with the higher numbers depending on how you define problems. My Series3 never worked so I ended up returning it. But it seems like many people had problems but most eventualy got it working. I was just not fortunate despite multiple attempts. However, the people in my category (repeated failed attempts) are probably in the single digits, near as I can tell.
ctakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #27
MichaelK

Quote:
With about half the people having some problems with CableCards installed, I think 20% to 40% seems right on target.
where does the half number even come from? A voluntary poll on a forum is hardly a scientifc random sampling.

I dont have a clue what the numbers really are, but iI wouldn't hang my hat on any forum poll to make my case.

just saying...
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #28
randyr6

Problem with Charter

I have been trying to get Charter out to install the cards in my new S3 for the last two weeks. They have missed three service calls without calling to cancel, and after giving me every excuse in the book now claim they don't have any more cable cards. They can't or won't tell me when they are getting more and they won't let me talk to anyone who knows better. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this resolved. I live in Altadena, CA.
randyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:53 AM   #29
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
A voluntary poll on a forum is hardly a scientifc random sampling. I dont have a clue what the numbers really are, but iI wouldn't hang my hat on any forum poll to make my case.
Yup, but there are folks saying that they'd "be very surprised if the actual number even approaches double digits" so I'd go with the results of voluntary polls in a forum before rather than shots-in-the-dark like that, which I believe are far off-target. Just because someone wants the number to be low doesn't mean it is low. While I grant that the number of folks having problems getting digital cable to work is probably far lower than the 50% we see in some of the polls, there is no reason to believe that the number is less than "double digits".
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #30
optivity

Quote:
The bottom line is one-way Digital Cable Ready devices are a joke and many CATV providers have treated CableCARD installation/support with minimal effort on their part during the past couple of years. My recommendation is to stop buying expensive HD A/V gear until the content/CATV providers and manufacturers can agree to and establish a bi-directional open cable environment that meets the DRM needs of both provider and subscriber.