TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
samual.icky

Wide Open West (WOW) Cable Cards

My short experience with WOW and the cable card install...

Day 1:
Box arrived (10 days after I placed my next day order)... step one call cable company to install TWO cable cards ($3.50 each). Step two open box and set up. I kept the cable hooked up to the cable DVR (since its digital) but I also elected to do the cable & antenna set up. (Then ran out to buy an antenna). So now I'm able to record two OTA stations at the same time or cable if it move the cables around.
(Guided SetUp #1)

Install Day 1:
Cable company shows up to install the cable card... but opps no cable card. Half hour later they where able to obtain ONE and spent an hour and a half trying to figure out how in set everything up. Now I'm just able to record one station at a time... (can't to two OTA recordings at once.... silly)
Install Rating: *
(Guided SetUp #2)

Install Day 2:
Cable company shows up (5 days after Install Day 1)... spends 5 minutes making sure the cable signal strenght is good... then installs cable card number two.. total time for Install Day #2 15 minutes)
Install Rating: ****
(Guided SetUp #3... only change between number #2 &#3 another cable card)

BTW: I'm also using WOW's "High Speed Internet Access" for my network connections... I have a cat 5e cable running from my S3 to a switch, and the switch is connected to the cable modem. Thus far "Yahoo! Photos", "Yahoo! Weather", "Yahoo! Traffic", "CBS SportsLine Fantasy Companin by AT&T", "Browse & Buy Movie Tickets" along with all the movie previews all fail... with a "Can't Run An error occured while running the application. Could not open URL."
samual.icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
mattn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samual.icky
BTW: I'm also using WOW's "High Speed Internet Access" for my network connections... I have a cat 5e cable running from my S3 to a switch, and the switch is connected to the cable modem. Thus far "Yahoo! Photos", "Yahoo! Weather", "Yahoo! Traffic", "CBS SportsLine Fantasy Companin by AT&T", "Browse & Buy Movie Tickets" along with all the movie previews all fail... with a "Can't Run An error occured while running the application. Could not open URL."
Can you ping the S3 from another computer on the network? Do you have a DHCP server set up? Query the DHCP server for the IP address of the S3 (and look at the server connect logs).

I hope the above points you to the problem.

# Matt
Series 3 HD (+eSATA 750 GB)
mattn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I also have WOW. CC on order, due in next Thursday. However, my wireless connection (also through WOW) works just fine. In fact, my wireless USB must be the MAC address I've got in my network, since I didn't have to add the S3's MAC.

Yahoo weather, traffic, etc., as well as music and photos work just fine. I do hope my cable card install goes better!

BTW, WOW is giving me a 30% discount (they say I'm a VIP customer--TAKE NOTE TiVo), and my second box is a DVR from WOW that is actually cheaper to keep than a HD NON DVR box....great deal!
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
thanna

Just had my first attempt at installing CableCards with WOW. Unfortunately, it was not successful.

Both cards were from Scientific Atlanta.

The first card was plugged in and reported the error 161-1. I'm still digging around the forums to see what that means but I'm taking it to mean it was a defective card.

The second card also reported a 161-1 initially but then the TiVo rebooted and it came up with the Host ID and Card ID. The installer called it in and it looked promising but when we got to "Test Channels", it would display the channel names but only showed a black screen. The info screen on the cable card read "Waiting for CP Auth".

The installer spent a lot of time on the phone as well as time checking the signal strength/etc. He was here for at least two hours and it never changed status and displayed the channels. The people on the phone assured the installer that they could "see" the box and that it was authorized but it didn't actually work.

I'm now going to dig around and see what info I can find about these specific problems then call back and schedule another install. Any links or help from people with similar problems would be appreciated.
thanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
samual.icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattn2
Can you ping the S3 from another computer on the network? Do you have a DHCP server set up? Query the DHCP server for the IP address of the S3 (and look at the server connect logs).

I hope the above points you to the problem.

# Matt
Network connections work just fine (i can grab all the need data from tivo servers for programing info and the like)... except the items noted above...
samual.icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Tech came today, and in one hour, everything was done, and correct. I had to help him a bit, leading him to the answer. He had never even heard of an S3, but was very pleasant.

I did have to prompt him to have the signal sent to the cable cards so that they'd work, but that's all it took.

It's going to take some getting used to the delay in switching channels. Is there anything I can do about that?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
thanna

Well, my second attempt is Monday. I'm going to be a tad more prepared this time. I'm even ready to get TiVo support on speakerphone if needed. Any last minute words of advice? I told them to put a note on the work order to bring extra cards in case some are defective. Hopefully the installer will bring out a whole box of em.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
thanna

Well, mixed results this time. The first card went in and worked flawlessly this time. The second card wouldn't work nor would the spare that the installer brought. I took a flashlight and looked inside the slot. There is a stinkin' bent pin .

So... my third S3 is on its way from TiVo and I'll be scheduling my third cable appointment after it arrives.

My luck is rotten
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Yes, it is bad luck, and I feel your pain. Seems every time I get something, I need it repaired or replaced....

However, it could have been bent by the first card being installed.

Either way.......keep your chin up...it's almost over!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
thanna

I got my third S3 on Friday - hooked it up on Monday and had my third visit from Wide Open West today.

I believe it is finally done. Both cable cards look to be functioning perfectly. The interesting thing is, the first cable card was working before the installer arrived even though switching TiVo's should have switched Host ID's. Maybe WOW's system doesn't actually care what the Host ID of the device is?

I actually do believe that the pin in my last TiVo was probably bent by the first installer. I didn't want to try to go after WOW for a replacement though. God knows what that would have involved. As a result, I didn't let this guy touch the TiVo though.

It's so nice to finally be done with this month long ordeal and have my series 3 working. If anything goes wrong over the next few days, I'll post a follow up but I think I'm good to go.

The only pieces of advice I have for other people using Wide Open West are:

1) Make them put a note on the order asking the installer to bring extra cards
2) Insert the cards yourself if feel comfortable doing so.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Glad to see it's over....ENJOY!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
scantor

I bought my S3 about 5-6 weeks back and had WOW come out a few days later to install the cards.

The installer was very polite, if a bit lost, and had to go back and forth a bit with the "home office" to get things activated, but they seemed to have their ducks in a row about it, and the actual install went pretty easily for both cards.

BUT, a few days after, I noticed one digital channel was out. After a tech visit, and a phone call, they told me today that they're seeing a problem with the Tivos not getting this channel and the NOC is working on it. In 48 hours when it still fails, I'm supposed to call back and follow up, but they're almost certainly going to claim it's a software issue with SA or Tivo and ignore it.

So probably no luck, but it's only one channel, and not a HD one, so I guess I'll take it.

Just hope I don't get my SA cards fried if they upgrade them. I'm sort of hoping the dual tuner cards might be the resolution, but I haven't heard an estimate on that.
scantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

What channel was it that didn't work?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro
What channel was it that didn't work?
319, SOAPnet
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Works for me....though I had removed it from my listing.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
scantor

Quote:
Works for me....though I had removed it from my listing.
Thanks, I'll let them know when I call back Monday about the ticket, and tell them it's apparently not a system-wide issue. Which I imagine they should know, but then again...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Do I Need W.O.W. Digital to add HD Pak?

I'm about to order an S3 for myself and another for my folks. We both have W.O.W. Can you successful S3 users on W.O.W. tell me which W.O.W. lineups you have? The site shows the CableCARDs are $3.50/month. It also shows the HDPak is 9.99/month.

Do I need to switch from Basic Cable Bundle to Digital Cable Bundle to get the HD Pak? Does it make sense to add the HD Pak to a Basic Cable Bundle?

Thanks for any help or encouragement.
PajamaFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #18
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I've got all HD channels, and got them "free" when I mentioned that my brother has Comcast, and all their HD channels come included in the one HD fee (no additional 9.99 charge for ESPN HD, etc.). I got a $10/mo credit. I've since called WOW and told them that I was thinking of changing to Comcast, since they seemed cheaper. They now give me a total of $30/mo credit.

However, I do not remember if I had to get the digital package, as I already had that. Also, keep in mind you need TWO cable cards for the dual tuner to work.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #19
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Thanks

Thanks. I called WOW and found out that I do need the Digital package, but the basic HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc.) come with it. The 9.99 HD pak includes 9 more channels.

Did you have to do a lot of haggling to get that extra $20 credit? I suppose I can research Comcast rates and use that as a bargaining tool. I hate haggling.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #20
thanna

I probably should have posted this earlier... Although I thought my setup was completely 100% done, in fact, there are 8 channels that I am not receiving properly. When I tune to one of these channels, the cablecard screen with the Host ID comes up. When I clear it, I only see a black screen.

It took one e-mail, two more phone calls, and another visit from a tech but I finally think I have the right person at WOW working on the problem. It's difficult to escalate technical problems with WOW.

(Luckily I never watch anything on 6/8 of these channels and only have a passing interest in the other 2)
Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #21
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaFeet
Thanks. I called WOW and found out that I do need the Digital package, but the basic HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc.) come with it. The 9.99 HD pak includes 9 more channels.

Did you have to do a lot of haggling to get that extra $20 credit? I suppose I can research Comcast rates and use that as a bargaining tool. I hate haggling.
Not really. I have been a WOW customer for at least 5 yrs. They also made mention that I had never missed a payment.

If you're a sports fan, you'll definitely want ESPN HD. I also watch FOOD HD much more than I ever would have thought.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #22
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Quote:
Not really. I have been a WOW customer for at least 5 yrs. They also made mention that I had never missed a payment.
Thanks for the info. I have been with W.O.W. just over 6 years and have my payment automatically deducted from my checking account, so maybe I can play the "VIP customer" card. I'm pleased with my Internet service, too.

thanna, are you still having problems with any of your channels?

Since I'm getting an S3 for myself and another for my folks, I'm going to be going through the W.O.W. set-up twice and could use all the good advice ya'll can offer.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #23
thanna

One of the 8 channels I wasn't getting has started working. Luckily, it was one of the two that I'm interested in. The other 7 are still borked.

Two techs from WOW have been spinning their wheels here since noon trying to figure it out. They're swapping out different cards now with no luck. Just for fun, I left my laptop lying out where they'd see it with the Time Warner website up but I like the WOW channel lineup much better so I'll probably stick it out even if they don't get these 7 channels fixed.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #24
thanna

Scantor (or anybody else in Columbus), do you get these channels?

316 FOXREAL
318 FLIVING
338 NFLNET
359 ANIME
379 WORD
483 SEDG
489 EDRA

Also when you go to the CableCard CP screen, what do you see for "Auth Status"?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #25
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanna
Scantor (or anybody else in Columbus), do you get these channels?

316 FOXREAL
318 FLIVING
338 NFLNET
359 ANIME
379 WORD
483 SEDG
489 EDRA

Also when you go to the CableCard CP screen, what do you see for "Auth Status"?
Yes, I get all of them. The only channel out for me is 319.

The CP screen shows CP Auth Received.

WOW just came back out, and they elevated the ticket to another engineer. Eventually, they'll tell me to wait for a Tivo update, I suspect.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #26
thanna

Hmm... mine still says "Waiting for CP Auth".

What side of town are on on? I was talking to the tech a little as he was leaving. He said there are four head ends (whatever that means) in Columbus. He said it shouldn't matter which one you're connected to - that the signal should be identical but didn't sound all that confident.

Last edited by thanna : 11-10-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Subscribing for E-mail notification
Old 11-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #27
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanna
Hmm... mine still says "Waiting for CP Auth".

What side of town are on on? I was talking to the tech a little as he was leaving. He said there are four head ends (whatever that means) in Columbus. He said it shouldn't matter which one you're connected to - that the signal should be identical but didn't sound all that confident.
I'm on the north side, near Sharon Woods.

I would have thought that the "Waiting..." message would prevent any of the encrypted channels from getting through, but clearly this technology is a major work in progress.

I'm counting myself lucky at this point to be missing only one unimportant channel.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #28
dualtronic

Premium channels with cablecard

Is anyone having touble getting premium channels with their SA cablecards? All the other digital channels work fine. But HBO doesn't tune-in with one of my cards. The other card only tunes into HBO when it feels like it.

I'm having WOW replace one of the cards this week, but I wanted to know if anyone else sees this problem.
dualtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #29
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Not at all. Some of the digital channels (in the 300's) don't work, but they're channels I'd never want to watch anyway. All the HBO's, Showtime's, etc., work--SD and HD.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #30
dualtronic

HBO Working now...

WOW came back today. He installed two new cablecards. Still no HBO. He pissed and moaned for about 10 minutes.

Then he called someone <Insert Magic> Voila! It works... What the heck happened? Even the service guy was stumped for a while. I suspect something was wrong back at the head office.
dualtronic is offline   Reply With Quote