TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #61
summerall

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction. I'd like to get Caller ID running on both of my 2 tivos. Both were zippered in October of 2005 so I don't know if I need new files. It looks like the needed files are present from the zipper installation. My tivos are both series 2 (you probably already knew that). I assume one will run the server and one will be the client, with the server only needing the phone connection.

First, how do I turn on the server caller id? I tried going into the ncidd file located in the /var/hack/sbin directory but I did not see any setting to turn it on.

TIA
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #62
Runch Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
Normally the lockfile name is based on the TTY port used. Linux will normally create it in /var/lock. If you are using ttyS0, the lock file will be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0. If you are using ttyS3, the lockfile will be /var/lock/LCK..ttyS3. Tivo did not follow that convention, but ncidd does. Make sure to comment out any lockfile line in ncidd.conf and ncidd will build the lock file as above, based on the TTY port used. Dial out and see if a lock file is generated in /var/lock, with any luck, 6.3 will use the normal lockfile convention. If not, dial out and search for a name using the TTY port. If it only appears during dial out, it is the lock file name to use.

I have more information on the ncid client in version 0.66. If it does not run, remove the ncid.conf file (you can rename it so ncid does not use it). This seems to fix it .
I found the ncidd.conf file in /var/hack/etc/ncid/ I commented out the set lock file line. I still got the Modem not responding error when having it make a call out. I did not see any files in /var/lock.

In the log file it shows version 0.65. Should I update to 0.66? If so, where does this file exist so that I just have to FTP it to the proper directory?
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.

Last edited by Runch Machine : 10-01-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #63
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine
I found the ncidd.conf file in /var/hack/etc/ncid/ I commented out the set lock file line. I still got the Modem not responding error when having it make a call out. I did not see any files in /var/lock.
If I remember correctly, I think the modemlock file shows up in one of the TiVo tcl scripts. Try to grep for it in your older unit, then if you find it you know which file to look in on your 6.3a unit.

Quote:
In the log file it shows version 0.65. Should I update to 0.66? If so, where does this file exist so that I just have to FTP it to the proper directory?
You are better off running version 0.66. Grab the TiVo distribution from the ncid home. You probably should save /var/hack/etc/ncid first so you can put your configuration files back in. The INSTALL-TiVo tells how to install it.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #64
rbitting

NCID 0.66 working with 6.3 now

I upgraded my HR10-250 to 6.3. All the hacks worked except for NCID. I installed 0.66 and now NCID seems to be working fine now.
rbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #65
A.C.

Does anyone know if there's a way to move the position of the display like you could with elseed?
A.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #66
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C.
Does anyone know if there's a way to move the position of the display like you could with elseed?
Try this. The file may be in a different dir than the one mentioned in that post. YMMV
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #67
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
Can someone help me or point me in the right direction. I'd like to get Caller ID running on both of my 2 tivos. Both were zippered in October of 2005 so I don't know if I need new files. It looks like the needed files are present from the zipper installation. My tivos are both series 2 (you probably already knew that). I assume one will run the server and one will be the client, with the server only needing the phone connection.

First, how do I turn on the server caller id? I tried going into the ncidd file located in the /var/hack/sbin directory but I did not see any setting to turn it on.

TIA
Try this. Answer #5.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #68
jlc

Quote:
NCID displays on the TiVo using one of two display programs. The original one is called out2osd, and it has a configuration file called out2osd.conf. In it you can change what line and column the display starts at, as well as the foreground and background colors. If you configure it for free fonts you can also change the font and font size. You can also configure the display by command line options. See the man page provided in the doc directory for more information.

NCID version 0.66 introduced another display option using a output module called ncid-tivo. It uses the TiVo provided text2osd program for the display. You can configure the line and column for the display in ncidscript.conf.

You can also use the UNI2OSD script (see the NCID home page) to do the display.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #69
Runch Machine

I downloaded the version for series 2 and extracted it on my Windows XP computer. Can I just FTP the ncidd file to the sbin directory my my Tivo?

When I extracted ncid-0.66-series2-tivo on my computer it created a hack directory with the various directories that are on my Tivo. I don't understand the installation instructions that state:

If you are running the server and client on the TiVo and are using Tivocid:
ncidd
tivocid &

What files do I FTP to my Tivo? Where to I put them and how do I run them.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #70
MisterEd
Very Large Member

Based on your experience I just installed NCID 0.66 and I *DO* get a reboot as soon as TiVo starts it's daily call. I'm on 6.3a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbitting
I upgraded my HR10-250 to 6.3. All the hacks worked except for NCID. I installed 0.66 and now NCID seems to be working fine now.

MisterEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #71
jlc

Quote:
I downloaded the version for series 2 and extracted it on my Windows XP computer. Can I just FTP the ncidd file to the sbin directory my my Tivo?
It is always best to transfer the tar file to the TiVo. it does not matter where you put it. Extract the files, after you save /var/hack/etc/ncid/*, using the command:
Code:
tar -xzf ncid-0.66-series2-tivo.tar.gz -C /var
Quote:
When I extracted ncid-0.66-series2-tivo on my computer it created a hack directory with the various directories that are on my Tivo. I don't understand the installation instructions that state:

If you are running the server and client on the TiVo and are using Tivocid:
ncidd
tivocid &
The NCID tivo tar file is meant to be extracted on the TiVo, not your pc. NCID is client/server so if you need the server and client running on the TiVo, start both. If you have the server running else where, then you only need to start the client.

Quote:
What files do I FTP to my Tivo? Where to I put them and how do I run them.
You just need to transfer ncid-0.66-series2-tivo.tar.gz and extract as above.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #72
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd
Based on your experience I just installed NCID 0.66 and I *DO* get a reboot as soon as TiVo starts it's daily call. I'm on 6.3a.
At this point it is likely this is a lock file problem, so the trick is to locate where the new lock file is being placed and configure ncidd to use it. I assume you use the modem for your daily calls and not the network? Maybe MisterEd uses the network for his daily calls.

I wounder if someone could do a test to see if it is the lock file causing this. To do the test, start ncidd, then touch /var/tmp/modemlock. Next cat /var/log/ncidd.log. The last line should be a message: "TTY in use: releasing modem". Force a test dial. If successful, then it is a locking problem.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #73
Runch Machine

First, thanks for your help. I followed your instructions and got my HD Tivo upgraded to version 0.66.

Then I tried the commands to release the modem. I made a test call which completed successully.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions as to how to find the lock file? Does anyone know what it would be called? Is there a "find" command that will look through multiple directories?

When I was changing between making the daily call via phone or network, I found that if I had Tivo set to use the network, it would reboot when trying to make a call. When it was set to use the modem and phone line, it would give a modem error but not reboot. That is why I leave it set to use the phone line.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #74
jlc

Quote:
Do you or anyone else have any suggestions as to how to find the lock file? Does anyone know what it would be called? Is there a "find" command that will look through multiple directories?
The normal place for a lockfile is /var/lock, but the TiVo does not seem to use it, or the normal convention for its name. I seem to remember that the lock file was generated in a tivosh script, so you might want to grep those.
If you want to search multiple files in multiple directories, use something like:

Code:
find / -type f -print | xargs grep lockfile
Quote:
When I was changing between making the daily call via phone or network, I found that if I had Tivo set to use the network, it would reboot when trying to make a call. When it was set to use the modem and phone line, it would give a modem error but not reboot. That is why I leave it set to use the phone line.
The lock file is only used for the modem. I do not know why using your network caused the reboot. NCID should not effect network calls at all. Could you do a test call again using the network? First with ncidd not running, then with it running to see if it causes a reboot.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #75
Runch Machine

I will try this later. Another question though: In one HD Tivo there is a line in the author file that is: touch /var/log/cidcall.log &

Following that are the two commands to start caller ID.

In the other Tivo this line is not there. Is this line there so that the log gets updated with Caller ID Data or for some other reason.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #76
BlvJohn

jlc:

Some additional information. (note: kernel 7.2.2, Ver 6.3a).

A Modem CID test works, but there is a difference:

Quote:
CID logfile: /var/log/cidcall.log
Data logfile: /var/log/ciddata.log
TTY port opened: /dev/cua1
TTY port speed: 19200
TTY lock file: /var/tmp/modemlock
TTY port control signals disabled
AT Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0
OK
Try 1 to init modem: return = 0.
Modem initialized.
AT+VCID=1
OK
Modem set for CallerID.
When I leave ncidd running in test mode (verbose = 9) and try a TiVo phone test (which fails), I get:

Quote:
Modem initialized.
AT+VCID=1
OK
Modem set for CallerID.

polld[0].revents: 0x1, fd: 4
ATZ
ATH0
ATZ
If I terminate ncidd, then the TiVo phone test works fine again.

When TiVi phone test call runs, it appears it is setting the modem lock (from tclient log):

Quote:
Oct 3 15:08:14 (none) PhoneHome[211]: initiate call: subtype=8 fPgd=0 fForceTF=0 fBackupTF=1
Oct 3 15:08:14 (none) CallStatusReporter[211]: UpdateStatus InProgress phase=1 code=29
Oct 3 15:08:15 (none) comm[211]: Created
Oct 3 15:08:15 (none) PhoneHomeActiveCall[211]: GetModemLock
Oct 3 15:08:15 (none) PhoneHome[211]: PerformCall, subtype=8 fForceTollFree=0 fAutomated=0
But I can not find the lock file yet.

I will keep researching this and let you know if I find anything else ...
BlvJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #77
MisterEd
Very Large Member

No, I'm using modem dial out for calls. When I tried using the "network dial" mod it (the network connection to DTV or TIVO or wherever it goes) is very erradic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it sits in "preparing for call" forever and I need to reboot to clear it. I've only tried NCID with modem dial and never with network dial since that mod doesn't seem to work well for me. I've been using ELSEED up until now.

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
At this point it is likely this is a lock file problem, so the trick is to locate where the new lock file is being placed and configure ncidd to use it. I assume you use the modem for your daily calls and not the network? Maybe MisterEd uses the network for his daily calls.

I wounder if someone could do a test to see if it is the lock file causing this. To do the test, start ncidd, then touch /var/tmp/modemlock. Next cat /var/log/ncidd.log. The last line should be a message: "TTY in use: releasing modem". Force a test dial. If successful, then it is a locking problem.

MisterEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #78
jlc

Quote:
I will try this later. Another question though: In one HD Tivo there is a line in the author file that is: touch /var/log/cidcall.log &

Following that are the two commands to start caller ID.

In the other Tivo this line is not there. Is this line there so that the log gets updated with Caller ID Data or for some other reason.
The two data files, cidcall.log and ciddata.log, are not used by ncidd unless they exist. The ciddata.log contains the Caller ID information as received from a device, and is used when troubleshooting what a modem or device sends. Normally you do not need this file. The cidcall.log contains the history of received NCID Calls. This is useful, so the touch in the author file is just making sure that if it is deleted for some reason, a new history file will be created.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #79
charlestwaters

No Dialing via Broadband..

Can anyone tell me why I am not able to dial via broadband!? I have the DEBUG option set to true, and have the ,#401 as my Dial-Prefix. Have tried with and without dial prefix, and get the same exact thing... "Could Not Connect" as my result on the phone page when doing a test dial.

I have tried both with & without the ncidd going. If I change this to dial via phone, I have the lockfile problem described earlier that I need to take care of.

Code:
Log cleared on Mon Oct 09, 2006 by TivoWebPlus
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) PhoneHome[780]: initiate call: subtype=3 fPgd=0 fForceTF=0 fBackupTF=1
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) CallStatusReporter[780]: UpdateStatus InProgress phase=1 code=29
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) comm[780]: Created
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) PhoneHomeActiveCall[780]: GetModemLock
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) PhoneHome[780]: PerformCall, subtype=3 fForceTollFree=0 fAutomated=0
Oct 9 20:58:20 (none) PhoneHome[780]: Setting callActive to 1
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: Read dial defaults from TClientDocument: Host=204.176.49.2 Port=80 Passwd= RadiusDomain=tivo.net
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: Overriding phone number from the callRequest
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: dialinPhoneNumber: 5878205
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: svrAddr: 204.176.49.2
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: svrPort: 80
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: pppUser: 3570000A0E3FC4E.1160427500@tivo.net
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: pppPass: 
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: radiusDomain: tivo.net
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: phoneNumber: 5878205
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: localAreaCode: 206
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: areaCodeVersion: 17
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: callWaitingPrefix: 
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: dialConfig: 000
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: dialMethod: T
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: dialHookCheck: 0
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: dialToneDetection: 0
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: tollFreeAuth: 1
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) DialConfig[780]: serverInfo: 
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) Call[780]: MakeCall subtype=3
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) CallService[780]: EtherBroadband=0 EtherDebug=0 networkCall=0
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) Modem[780]: ##### Initial dial prefix = ',#401'
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) Modem[780]: Backdoor code 4, enable calls via broadband
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) Modem[780]: After ,# final dialstring is ''
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) CallStatusReporter[780]: UpdateStatus InProgress phase=1 code=29
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) RunmeExecutor[780]: No runmes for phase PreCall
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) CallService[780]: Get NetDevList info
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) NetworkQueryAllSession[704]: received a AVAILABILITY_RESPONSE
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) NetworkIpV4QuerySession[704]: received a IPV4_RESPONSE
Oct 9 20:58:21 (none) NetDevList[780]: NetDevList: Logging info for 1 devices
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CmdProc[780]: CmdProc: wrote /var/log/svclog.upload.gz
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Call[780]: create minimal ident block
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: Start Ident ==================
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: version: 3
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: centerID: 3570000A0E3FC4E
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: reasonCode: 4
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: softwareDesc: NONE
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: locationID: NONE
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: sequenceCookie: 12345678
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: headendID: NONE
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: headendHisto: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: headendWorst: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: showcaseDesc: NONE
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: inventoryFile: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: waitingCount: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: confInfo: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: dialConfig: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: messageDesc: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: irdbVersion: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: genreVersion: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: logoVersion: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: affiliationVersion: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: showcaseVersion: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: demoMode: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: swVerName: 6.3-01-2-357
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: apgOnly: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: useChksums: TRUE
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: premiumShowcases: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: captureRequests: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: menuItems: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: collabData: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: signedFiles: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: spigotMaps: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: otherDatasets: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: dataGroupList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: dataGroupIntList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: userGroupIntList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: dtvuserGroupIntList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: dtvdataGroupIntList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: lastAvalDownload: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: userInitiated: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: mfsTotalApp: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: mfsAvailApp: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: mfsTotalMedia: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: mfsAvailMedia: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: clipsTotalSize: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: clipsAvailSize: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: rbTotalSize: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: rbAvailSize: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: tcdId: 3570000A0E3FC4E
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: callId: 1160427500
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: sourceParameterList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: configParameterList: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: iceboxinfo: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: timeZoneOffset: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: daylightSavings: 1
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: numFails: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: broadband: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: ticketRequest: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: initialState: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: spigotMapInfo: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: localSw: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: providerOrder: 
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: watchDogDelay: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: callDelay: 0
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: timeStamp: ...
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Ident[780]: End Ident ==================
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) Call[780]: Enqueue Ident
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CommGlobals[780]: --- Rqst Summary Start ---
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CommGlobals[780]: 1 modLog status=none addr=204.176.49.2:80 send=/var/log/svclog.upload.gz
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CommGlobals[780]: 2 HServerRqst status=none addr=204.176.49.2:80 send=/var/tmp/HServer.send recv=/var/tmp/HServer.recv
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CommGlobals[780]: --- Rqst Summary End ---
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CallStatusReporter[780]: UpdateStatus InProgress phase=3 code=30
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) RunmeExecutor[780]: No runmes for phase StartCall
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) CallStatusReporter[780]: SetOffHookLed=on
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Opening device
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Initializing modem
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) hpk[780]: ATZ
Oct 9 20:58:22 (none) hpk[780]: OK
Oct 9 20:58:23 (none) hpk[780]: AT\Q3\T12
Oct 9 20:58:23 (none) hpk[780]: OK
Oct 9 20:58:23 (none) ModemImplHpk[780]: ModemImplHpk::PerformPatch called with fd = 11, CommFileStreamer = <(nil)>
Oct 9 20:58:23 (none) avalutil[780]: Fopen(/tvlib/modem/patches/Si2433/F/AT/atfile, r) failed errno=2 (No such file or directory)
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImplHpk[780]: Inside ModemImplHpk::ApplyBackdoor....
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Set up modem and check for availability
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImplHpk[780]: ModemImplHpk: epdBM = 1<1> Blocking mode = 1<1>, delay = 40<28>
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImplHpk[780]: ModemImplHpk: result of GetInterface was 2293771<23000b>
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: AT:U70,A100
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: OK
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: ATQ0S0=0
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: ATV1S6=4S7=50%C0&H2X4
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: AT:U76,3240
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) hpk[780]: AT:U77,4C10,4050
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Modem set up and onhook.
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Turning off dial tone detection
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: ATX3
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: OK
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Setting extension pickup detection
Oct 9 20:58:24 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Trying to connect
Oct 9 20:59:20 (none) ModemImpl[780]: ATDT5878205
Oct 9 20:59:20 (none) ModemImpl[780]: NO CARRIER
Oct 9 20:59:20 (none) ModemImpl[780]: Failed to get a connection. No Carrier.

charlestwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #80
A.C.

Can someone tell me where I'm suppose to set debug=true as part of my setup to use NCID and do my daily call via the network? I can't figure this one out.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #81
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestwaters
Can anyone tell me why I am not able to dial via broadband!? I have the DEBUG option set to true, and have the ,#401 as my Dial-Prefix. Have tried with and without dial prefix, and get the same exact thing... "Could Not Connect" as my result on the phone page when doing a test dial.
I found this thread that talks about a zipper'd HR10-250. It seems that it also needs a DEBUG_BOARD variable set in order to make the TiVo call in via broadband.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #82
charlestwaters

Quote:
Can someone tell me where I'm suppose to set debug=true as part of my setup to use NCID and do my daily call via the network? I can't figure this one out.
This is what the file is supposed to look like. It is located in "/etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/", and is called "rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh". You can just take the contents of this file, and change yours, or copy this to your hard drive, one of the two...

Code:
##############################################################################
#
#   File: rc.CheckForDebug.sh
#
#   Description: Stage D system startup script fragment
#                Check for debug attachment and invoke debug environment
#                if appropriate
#
#   Environment:
#       Exports: DEBUG_BOARD
#                TMK_DEBUGGER (conditionally)
#
#   Copyright (c) 2003-2004 TiVo Inc.
#
#############################################################################

# Pick up DNS server information the kernel obtained via BOOTP
function setupDns () {
    if [ -f /proc/net/pnp ]; then
        cat /proc/net/pnp > /var/etc/resolv.conf
    else
        cat /dev/null > /var/etc/resolv.conf
    fi
}

function configGateway () {
    local -a gw_route
    local gw

# Add the routes to the internal network, because the default
    # route will come and go
    gw_route=(`/sbin/route -n | grep ^0.0.0.0`)
    gw=${gw_route[1]}
    if [ "$gw" != "${gw##192.168.}" -o "$gw" != "${gw##10.}" ]; then
        /sbin/route add -net 192.168.0.0 gw $gw netmask 255.255.0.0
        /sbin/route add -net 10.0.0.0 gw $gw netmask 255.0.0.0
    else
        echo "Can't determine internal net, subnet route not set"
    fi
    /sbin/route add default gw $gw metric 1
}

echo "Look for debug board"
export DEBUG_BOARD=true

if /sbin/ifconfig eth0 2>/dev/null | grep -q UP ; then
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin

echo "Setting up network for debug" 
    configGateway
    setupDns

export TMK_DEBUGGER=sleep
    export DEBUG_BOARD=true
    echo "Starting Telnet Listener..." 
    /sbin/tnlited 23 -r 9911 /bin/bash -login &

echo "Starting /proc Listener..." 
    /tvbin/procd
fi

charlestwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #83
QAI

Okay I have a problem getting tivoncid working on my series1 with networking over the serial port (ppp0). Hopefully someone has the answer. I can start the ncidd daemon but when I try to start tivoncid I get the following error:
invalid command name "0" while executing "0" (procedure "displayLog" line 1) invoked from within "displayLog "Connecting to $Host:$Port"" (procedure "connectCID" line 15) invoked from within "connectCID $Host $Port" (file "./tivoncid" line 579)

If I start tivoncid -V I get:
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:3333
BGError: invalid command name "0"

Any suggestions? I'm using the 0.66 version of ncid. Maybe the use of PPP0 for my network versus eth0? thx
QAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #84
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAI
Okay I have a problem getting tivoncid working on my series1 with networking over the serial port (ppp0). Hopefully someone has the answer. I can start the ncidd daemon but when I try to start tivoncid I get the following error:
invalid command name "0" while executing "0" (procedure "displayLog" line 1) invoked from within "displayLog "Connecting to $Host:$Port"" (procedure "connectCID" line 15) invoked from within "connectCID $Host $Port" (file "./tivoncid" line 579)

Any suggestions? I'm using the 0.66 version of ncid. Maybe the use of PPP0 for my network versus eth0? thx
Two suggestions, try them in this order, and see if one works:
- Remove the ncid.conf file and try again
- Try the ncid client from 0.65

A few people reported the problem and each of the solutions above were reported to work. At the moment the cause is unknown, but it is investigated.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #85
A.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestwaters
This is what the file is supposed to look like. It is located in "/etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/", and is called "rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh". You can just take the contents of this file, and change yours, or copy this to your hard drive, one of the two...
Thanks. I went ahead and made the change. I was playing around with this because I still couldn't get it to work. What I ended up doing was removing the dialing prefix. It doesn't seem like you need it once you edit this file. Matter of fact once you edit this file, you have no choice but to dial via network.

So what i have now is a updated rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh, and ncid seems to be working without changing the dial prefix. Does that sound right?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #86
harpegw
Occasional Poster

jlc, I'd like to say thank you for ncid. I zippered my two directivos a year ago, but never took advantage of ncid until yesterday. I now have one directivo with a phone line connected running ncidd serving itself, my other directivo, and my xp desktop and ibook via ncidpop. I don't know how I got along without this functionality, it's already saved me lots of scrambling when the phone rings. Thanks from a satisfied user.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #87
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpegw
jlc, I'd like to say thank you for ncid. I zippered my two directivos a year ago, but never took advantage of ncid until yesterday. I now have one directivo with a phone line connected running ncidd serving itself, my other directivo, and my xp desktop and ibook via ncidpop. I don't know how I got along without this functionality, it's already saved me lots of scrambling when the phone rings. Thanks from a satisfied user.
Thank you for the positive feedback.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #88
A.C.

My box rebooted on me lastnight. I checked the kernel log and here's the last entry:

Recursive _stray_ call, signal 11ApgManager Transition from state FAST_LOAD to FAST_LOAD

Anyone know what it might mean? I'm doing daily call via the internet, and using NCID.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #89
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAI

Any suggestions? I'm using the 0.66 version of ncid.
This problem was found to be in the ncid.conf file. It seems tivosh requires the set Program variable to be at the end of the file. The fix is to rename ncid.conf or move the set Program line and its comments to the end of the file.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #90
jlc

Quote:
My box rebooted on me lastnight. I checked the kernel log and here's the last entry:

Recursive _stray_ call, signal 11ApgManager Transition from state FAST_LOAD to FAST_LOAD

Anyone know what it might mean? I'm doing daily call via the internet, and using NCID.
I do not know if this is a NCID problem or not. The error message does not seem to point to NCID, but error messages are often misleading. Could you answer some questions?

Does the log file indicate if this was around the time of the daily call?
What version of NCID are you using (it should be v0.66)?
How long have you been using NCID before you had the reboot?