TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #451
Diacritical

Brooklyn TWC here...

TWC rep just left -- this was his fourth TiVo install and he seemed to know what he was doing. Right now, card 2 is functioning perfectly and card 1 is still waiting for CP Auth. They will dispatch someone else tomorrow morning if it does not come up before 6:00PM this evening (one hour from now). We saw pixilation and dropouts on WPIX HD (711), but he re-terminated the cable and it cleared right up.

They are getting a *lot* of cable card installs. The most common mistake according to this guy was caused by having two host ids in the box. Now the people in the head office know thatthey need different ones, so its going smoother this week than last. There was no attempt to sell me anything or to get me to keep their box.

Other than the problem with card one still not authorizing, it was a fairly smooth install.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #452
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diacritical
Brooklyn TWC here...

TWC rep just left -- this was his fourth TiVo install and he seemed to know what he was doing. Right now, card 2 is functioning perfectly and card 1 is still waiting for CP Auth. They will dispatch someone else tomorrow morning if it does not come up before 6:00PM this evening (one hour from now). We saw pixilation and dropouts on WPIX HD (711), but he re-terminated the cable and it cleared right up.

They are getting a *lot* of cable card installs. The most common mistake according to this guy was caused by having two host ids in the box. Now the people in the head office know thatthey need different ones, so its going smoother this week than last. There was no attempt to sell me anything or to get me to keep their box.

Other than the problem with card one still not authorizing, it was a fairly smooth install.
Finally! A semi-successful install in 11201 (aka Brooklyn Heights for the rest of you). Hopefully third trip is a charm for me tomorrow. I really think TWCNYC should pool us all together and send the same handful of guys that seem to get it right to other TiVo installs nearby in each neighborhood. I'd think it would be so much more efficient!

Was your installer named Lewis or Juan, by any chance?
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #453
Diacritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Finally! A semi-successful install in 11201 (aka Brooklyn Heights for the rest of you). Hopefully third trip is a charm for me tomorrow. I really think TWCNYC should pool us all together and send the same handful of guys that seem to get it right to other TiVo installs nearby in each neighborhood. I'd think it would be so much more efficient!

Was your installer named Lewis or Juan, by any chance?
It was Enoch. Funny... when I saw 11201, my first thought was "How does he know my zipcode... then I remembered my neighborhood was in every post.

I think they either got a number wrong for card one (most likely) or the card itself has a problem. For now, I have most of my local recordings using OTA and the cable ones off of another other TiVo. It's hard to tell it which tuner to use -- and only one gets all the stations.
Diacritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #454
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

TW Austin

OK cable guy just left. Took about 1 hour. I currently have just digital package. I get some, but not all HD channels which is all I really care about. First cable card 1 was recognized and picked up channels, but second one wasn't. Called to office to pair and re-pair fixed it. After calling a couple times to office about some channels not showing up, some more show up but others still don't. The tech is telling me it will take ~ 1 hour for all channels to show up. We will see.

BTW I have 2 scientific atlanta powerkey cable cards. They came in un-opened packaging. The piece of paper in it says copyright 2003; are these new or older cards?
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #455
danator

TWC, Dallas.

Long story short,

1st trip, 2 cards working but both didn't get the premium except Starzhd and tnthd

2nd trip, took some works!! 1st worked right away but 2nd card took several hits, swapping locations card to make it worked.

Card ver 4.15, displaying messagge something about host only has one way RF capability. That card doesn't work for me. It never received any signal to begin with, could be bad card?

Both card ver 4.05 worked just fine
danator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #456
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

ugh time warner tech coming out again tomorrow. i am missing 1 channel on one card and 7 or 8 on the second. ugh.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #457
rrman

I just ordered my Tivo Series 3 last Thursday night, and it shipped on today (Friday). I should get it by Tuesday. Time Warner is coming on Thursday to install the CableCards.

Can folks summarize what they've done to setup the TiVo?

I'm thinking, before the installer comes, I should setup the TiVo to the point where I get the latest Tivo firmware/software upgrade and confirm that everything works. Then, I'll get the CableCards installed. I can't really get any channels OTA, though. How do I verify that BOTH CableCards work properly and get all the channels? Do I record one show, and then use the 2nd card to check all the channels, and then start a second recording, and then un-record the first recording and check all the channels with the first CableCard? Oh, yeah, I assume I transfer my lifetime to the S3 first, right? I've heard folks having a lot of hassle if they get the $6.95 plan with the S3 only to transfer their lifetime to the S3.

Thanks.
rrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #458
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman
I just ordered my Tivo Series 3 last Thursday night, and it shipped on today (Friday). I should get it by Tuesday. Time Warner is coming on Thursday to install the CableCards.

I'm thinking, before the installer comes, I should setup the TiVo to the point where I get the latest Tivo firmware/software upgrade and confirm that everything works. Then, I'll get the CableCards installed. I can't really get any channels OTA, though. How do I verify that BOTH CableCards work properly and get all the channels? Do I record one show, and then use the 2nd card to check all the channels, and then start a second recording, and then un-record the first recording and check all the channels with the first CableCard? Oh, yeah, I assume I transfer my lifetime to the S3 first, right? I've heard folks having a lot of hassle if they get the $6.95 plan with the S3 only to transfer their lifetime to the S3.

Thanks.

I got mine on Wednesday arround 11 am and had it up by 1:00 pm (including lunch and a run to Target to get a digital optical cord). Oh, I have to mention the digital optical I got at Target was the last one of this brand they had. Monster. 4ft cable marked down as a close out, price $6.50.

Anyway I hooked everything up, played with it for one day and signed on for service. Cards won't be here until Wednesday, but that's ok in case you don't know if you run a scan you get still get some HD, just no info, you have to do a manual record.

Set that puppy up.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #459
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman

Thanks.
There is a test channels function in the cablecard menu to let you make sure that the cablecard is decoding your digital and premium stuff. Just check it in the menu for each cablecard.

Agree.. before installer comes, go thru guided setup with your basic cable.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #460
rasandefur

Beposito -- Did you ever get this worked out? I'm also at TWC Raleigh customer, and they came out today, and I'm having the exact same problem as you are. I get the local HDs and channels 1-100, but not the 110 -200. Both of my cards say they are authorized. However, card one still says it is "Waiting on EMMs". If you have any luck, could you pass along the information to me? Thanks!
rasandefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 PM   #461
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Finally! A semi-successful install in 11201
Yes! I've seen a couple positive Brooklyn posts, and several more in Manhattan. I'm 11231 (Carroll Gardens), so if they can do Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope, maybe the whole damn borough won't be too far behind. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful install tomorrow (and you too, Macsamurai!)
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:36 AM   #462
thein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapugh
This is my experience with TWC Raleigh:
He was told by the CSR tech on the phone that the HD suite (ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNet, HBOHD, etc.) wouldn't work with the Tivo yet.

Anyone else out there with a similar experience?

Thanks,
Mark
As you suspect, you are being fed a line of BS.

I am on TWC in Durham ... same system but different branch. Discovery HD, TNT HD & HBO HD work fine for me in one of my cable cards but not the 2nd. I am going to call and try to get it addressed when I have the energy. I don't subscribe to the HD Suite so dont get ESPNHD or HDNet.

Keep fighting the good fight.
thein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #463
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

TW Austin

This is horrible. Tech is out and he says I can't guarantee you will get channels. What?! Plus other idiot has lodged a cable card stuck in my tivo. I HATE TIME WARNER
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #464
guerra6880

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue007
TW Austin

This is horrible. Tech is out and he says I can't guarantee you will get channels. What?! Plus other idiot has lodged a cable card stuck in my tivo. I HATE TIME WARNER
Working with TWC in Austin, TX I have found that with a CC with OS Build 2.3.149s2 (0) May 2005, I would end up in the endless "Waiting for CP Auth" but once I went to two cards with 2.3.149.2 Jul 2005, all channels came done and I am now able to get full service on all non-SVD channels.

It only took 2 visits, 3 phone call and 2 web chat sessions to get them to believe me that I knew what I was talking about.
guerra6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #465
VoodooNYC

FINALLY! Almost success in Brooklyn. GREAT tech arrived 15 minutes early (!!!!) for a 10am to 2pm install. Had done 6 S3s this week. 20 minutes later I'm good to go, except I don't have any premium HD channels yet, but he said this could take some time. Both tuners are up and running. Hope it goes as well for the rest of you with appointments today!!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #466
jhwpbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danator
TWC, Dallas.

Long story short,

1st trip, 2 cards working but both didn't get the premium except Starzhd and tnthd

2nd trip, took some works!! 1st worked right away but 2nd card took several hits, swapping locations card to make it worked.
Are you still in A/B land (i.e. Dallas) or in single-cable Nirvana (i.e., suburbs). I had the understanding that the TiVo S3s would not work with a dual-cable drop.
jhwpbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:28 AM   #467
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

yeah so now i have no channels and a stuck cable card which the tech says will probably be un-removable and require time warner to replace the unit. WHAT
Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #468
Lisa898

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
FINALLY! Almost success in Brooklyn. GREAT tech arrived 15 minutes early (!!!!) for a 10am to 2pm install. Had done 6 S3s this week. 20 minutes later I'm good to go, except I don't have any premium HD channels yet, but he said this could take some time. Both tuners are up and running. Hope it goes as well for the rest of you with appointments today!!

He's at my place now. He says he's going to another one right after this. He totally seems to know what he's doing.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #469
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
He's at my place now. He says he's going to another one right after this. He totally seems to know what he's doing.

Yep - if it's the same guy, he's really great.

Note: Key to a successful install: Both cards that failed last week were from 2004. This time he brought cards from June 2006 that hadn't been used yet.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #470
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

does anyone know of a number other than 512-485-5555 for time warner austin? i need to get in touch with someone high at time warner for all the BS the techs have done; everytime you call it's a 30+ minute wait. this is a nightmare.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #471
Lisa898

Quote:
Yep - if it's the same guy, he's really great.

Note: Key to a successful install: Both cards that failed last week were from 2004. This time he brought cards from June 2006 that hadn't been used yet.

I'm pretty sure its the same guy. He started talking about how the guy he just did was telling him about the messge boards?

Did he leave your place before you ran guided setup?

THere are a bunch of stations I'm not getting, are you getting everything?

I'm not getting anything except basic cable (ie pretty much local over the air networks). The cable guy says it takes awhile for the rest of the channels to show up. We shall see.

ETA took about an 45 minutes, but all the stations popped up at once, first on one card then the other. I've got all the stations I subscribe to now, which includes almost everything.

Last edited by Lisa898 : 09-30-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #472
NetJunkie

Quote:
TW Austin

"Will get channels" or some channels? You'll lose some channels like the west coast feeds. As for the lodged card, get some pliers. The eject button on the CC slot doesn't work. Then, don't let them insert the cards. I did both of mine myself with the tech there.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #473
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

On card 2, I am loosing local NBC channel. One card 1, I loose almost every local channel, TNT, DiscoveryHD, UNIHD. All I care about are upper HD channels. I don't even really watch analog channels except for FX. Tech says basically he can't get channels to work and implying that I will never get all my channels and I should go back to digital box and that cable cards are a 'new' technology that Time Warner doesn't fully support. He's an idiot just like everyone else there.

I'm not dislodging the card until the tech comes. If he breaks it, they are paying for it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #474
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
On card 2, I am loosing local NBC channel. One card 1, I loose almost every I'm not dislodging the card until the tech comes. If he breaks it, they are paying for it.
Sounds like you got an idiot. Reach in the bowl and pick another one. If that doesn't work, escalate.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #475
guerra6880

Quote:
On card 2, I am loosing local NBC channel. One card 1, I loose almost every local channel, TNT, DiscoveryHD, UNIHD. All I care about are upper HD channels. I don't even really watch analog channels except for FX. Tech says basically he can't get channels to work and implying that I will never get all my channels and I should go back to digital box and that cable cards are a 'new' technology that Time Warner doesn't fully support. He's an idiot just like everyone else there.

I'm not dislodging the card until the tech comes. If he breaks it, they are paying for it.
I have all of my 1500's and all of my 1600's on TWC ATX = HBO HD, SHO HD, CIN HD, UNI, HDNet, HDNET MV, INHD, INHD2, TNT HD, DSC HD, ESPN HD, KLRUDT, KLRUDT2, CBS HD, NDC HD, ABC HD, FOX HD

PM - I can give you the cell # of the guy that came out here this morning and you can try and see what he can do for you. He didn't really all that much but he was willing to let me "drive" the show and tell him what to say to his backline staff.

Edit - Forgot to mention that he was actually TWC staff and not some 3rd Party
Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #476
skweaz

Quote:
does anyone know of a number other than 512-485-5555 for time warner austin? i need to get in touch with someone high at time warner for all the BS the techs have done; everytime you call it's a 30+ minute wait. this is a nightmare.
You can try this one: 485-6201
skweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #477
VoodooNYC

Quote:
I'm pretty sure its the same guy. He started talking about how the guy he just did was telling him about the messge boards?

Did he leave your place before you ran guided setup?

THere are a bunch of stations I'm not getting, are you getting everything?

I'm not getting anything except basic cable (ie pretty much local over the air networks). The cable guy says it takes awhile for the rest of the channels to show up. We shall see.
I ran guided setup after he left. Same here with me, only basic channels. I checked the cablecard menu and both still say "waiting for CP authorization" which is the reason why. That should be a phone call solution though if it doesn't come through soon. Glad your box is at least set up.

Anyone know how long it takes for your premium channels to get through to the cards?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #478
guerra6880

Quote:
I ran guided setup after he left. Same here with me, only basic channels. I checked the cablecard menu and both still say "waiting for CP authorization" which is the reason why. That should be a phone call solution though if it doesn't come through soon. Glad your box is at least set up.

Anyone know how long it takes for your permium channels to get through to the cards?
Once I had CP Auth Recieved it took about 5 mins to get the full channel download. I have figured out that if you are able to "Test Channel" immediately and not have to wait for the Channel download then you are not properly decrypting the content and therefore not fully authorized yet.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #479
Lisa898

Quote:

Anyone know how long it takes for your premium channels to get through to the cards?

I don't think it should say waiting for authorization. I had that before he left (the cards said authorized). I had waiting for EMMs, but that's gone now too. I've got everything now. He said he was going to call you to check your stations, assuming it was you.

When the channels came in, it all came in at once.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #480
VoodooNYC

Quote:
I don't think it should say waiting for authorization. I had that before he left (the cards said authorized). I had waiting for EMMs, but that's gone now too. I've got everything now. He said he was going to call you to check your stations, assuming it was you.

When the channels came in, it all came in at once.
Thanks! Calling TWC now. I think I just need to get authorized.