TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #301
jguinn

Things don't seem to be any better here in Johnson City, TN either. I have been a cable modem subscriber for a while, but have used DishNetwork for my television programming. After my TiVo S3 shipped out, I called Charter to arrange for digital / HD cable to be enabled for my account. I requested four CableCARDs (assuming that one or two probably would not function properly) and one standard-def set-top box.

I arranged my work schedule to accomodate the 1:00 - 5:00 window today and met the tech around 3:30. Unfortunately, he brought two set-top boxes and NO CableCARDs. He basically told me that in his experience, the cards seem to be working properly on less than 50% of installs in this market (not necessarily TiVo S3). And then he said I could just stop by the local office and pick up my cards. Naturally, when I arrived at the office the lady behind the desk said, "We don't have any, we're not allowed to give them out to customers, and I can't even order one for you until next week." She was very, very old, and I was very, very frustrated so I just left and will try again next week.

Should anything exciting happen, I will continue to post updates. Wish me luck...
jguinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #302
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfolsom805
....so LOGO (which is a premium channel) doesn't play. We had the same problem with four other channels.
I guess there will be no Xena or Wonderfalls for you. Which is a bummer, because in the big list of Really Great Shows That Spineless Network Programming Monkeys Should Not Have Been Allowed To Cancel, Wonderfalls is easily, easily in the top ten. Of the various teenage-girl-talks-to-supernatural-forces shows that all premiered around the same time, it was by far the best.

Anyway, congrats on the install. I think everyone should be aware that the "updating firmware" screen is the kiss of death, and the card should be yanked without delay.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #303
octomonkee

OH, THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS!

I just got a call (4pm) from Charter about my scheduled appt today. The girl informed me that they're having problems w/ the cablecards and that none of them are working right now so they'd like to come an install a digital box instead.

WTF?!?

So, I explained to her that they are just now telling me this after I've waited at home for 8 hours (my call window is 8am to 8pm) to finally tell me this? I was like, NO WAY...send the guy out. Also, informed her that there have been some working cablecards in my area because I've heard about it here.

Will post more when the guy actually shows up.
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #304
doppler1

My Charter CableCARD install

Had my CableCARDs installed last Saturday... Installer was a really nice guy, but was having a terrible time getting a hold of dispatch to put in the pairing info and to send a signal. After being here for about 1.5 hours, he said he had to go to another job and would give me a call when he got a hold of dispatch to get the pairing info entered. Estimated it would be about another hour or two before the cards would work.

He finally gave me a call about 3.5 hours after he left saying that the pairing info was entered and that the cards should be working...I check and no, not working. Says he will have them send another hit and after that the cards should be fine; if not call the 800 number...grrr...fine.

Needless to say, the cards didn't work at all that day, so I had to schedule a service call to have the cards installed, which was for today. In the mean time, I had messaged bobafett86 to see if he could help out (since I am in the Madison area). I know bobaffet86 tried to help out on Wednesday, but that still didn't seem to do the trick, so I just figured I would wait until today for the tech.

Tech came today, verified the pairing info with dispatch and had another hit sent to the card and whaddya know, the cards work!

I don't know if bobafett86 gets the credit or todays tech, but either way I am happy, so thanks to bobafett86 and the Charter techs who were out to help - it wasn't as bad as it could have been and no one had any issue with installing CableCARDS into a TiVo...guess my major gripe is the fact that the techs have such a hard time getting a hold of dispatch (and I'm sure the techs are even more frustrated!).

It took a week, but I can now record all of my channels!

Also, I was told by the tech that there had been issues with the CableCARD authorization in this area this week (Tuesday through today apparently), but I don't know...I can only take his word for it...

Last edited by doppler1 : 09-29-2006 at 07:10 PM.
doppler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #305
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by octomonkee
I just got a call (4pm) from Charter about my scheduled appt today. The girl informed me that they're having problems w/ the cablecards and that none of them are working right now so they'd like to come an install a digital box instead.
I know there are a lot of people in the world who, when confronted with something new or non-trivial, will throw up their hands, declare it impossible, and give up. Charter seems to have hired all of them.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #306
octomonkee

Well, my tech guy came @ 4:30pm. He was a Charter Telephone guy. No cablecards, no nothing. How do you like that!?!

He spent some time on the phone w/ dispatch only to inform me that all (yes, ALL) of Charter's cablecards are bad and they have haulted installing anymore (nationwide) until the issue gets resolved -- approx 2 weeks. I just don't get it. I proceeded to tell him that there are Charter subscribers across the country that have had success, and also in my area. That fell on def ears...he didn't know what to say. They also tried to take away the one cablecard that I but I said no even though I'm still not getting the premium channels above 100. I wanted to have at least my local channels. Urgh!

After the tech left I phoned customer service yet again to voice my complaint to the supervisor. It really would have been nice if he would have suggested the credit to my account for the premium channels, but no, I had to ask.

How do you like them apples!

I can't wait! 2 weeks from now I'm gonna be livin' large!!! Ha!
(Sarcasm completely intended)
Old 09-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #307
cotton168

Oh octomonkee, I'm so sorry to hear about your very bad ordeal. We've all had ordeals like this so don't worry. One way or another this issue that you are having will get fixed. My guy that came on Wednesday also didn't bring CCs even though I told them to bring it. Yeah, like they would ever listen to me! However, the new tech guy who came on Thursday is coming Sunday and he knows to bring CCs and to double check it in their warehouse before bringing it over. We'll see how that goes.

To all those that are having issues, hang in there and for those that got their CCs working, congrats!!!! We cannot wait to be enjoying TiVo with no problems!
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #308
octomonkee

thank you, cotton168. Yes, I take a bit of solace knowing that I'm not alone in this craziness. I do, however, have yet another Pasadena update...

Got a call a few minutes ago from a Charter dispatch person working in Irwindale local head office. Good news...they are going to have the cablecards fixed sooner than they originally thought. They're saying Tuesday, Oct 3rd, all of the cards should be "reprogrammed" at the warehouse, and they'll hit the road with them on Wednesday, the 4th. So, my appointment got moved up to Wednedsay. The skeptic in me says not to rejoice just yet. I'll reserve that for Wednesday.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #309
adventurelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
We are stuck at a screen: failed to load 'pod:///utils/cpdiag.html

We shall see what happens.
My installer came back today. It took 2 1/2 hours and I now have one working cable card. He will be back on Wed. to try for the second.

My tv should be in any day now, things are starting to come together.

I am amazed at how much we, as consumers, go through to get things working the way the should on day one. (That is not a dig at Tivo, rather at Charter and the mediocrity we deal with)

I hope to soon have this all behind me. This thread has been very helpful though. Thanks to everyone here.

--Larry
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #310
darrena

I had my cable cards installed today in Greenville SC. The tech arrived on time and with two Cable Cards.

He was professional and installed both cards in under an hour with most of the time spent on the phone waiting for someone to activate the cards.

This was his first cable card install but had no problems with it.
darrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #311
rfolsom805
TivoNPismo

KKFX in San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_mcgovern
I am in San Luis Obispo, and had the install this morning. Mine took about 2 hours and most of that was on hold with dispatch. The actuall install would have taken about 30 minutes otherwise. We didn't have to really do anything but read off the numbers, get the signal sent, and everything worked.

What are the other 4 channels? When I tuned to LOGO I received a message to call Charter. When I tune to KKFXHD, I just get a blank screen. Do you get this as well?

Eric,

I didn't notice the KKFXHD issue, but yes, I only get a blank screen too. On the following channels, I get the message to call charter: 143, 145, 399, 414 and 680. I have an Charter SA DVR box and I get all 5 of those + Fox just fine.... I'm a little ticked about Fox, I thought I'd gone through them all this morning...I must have missed this one.

I'm curious who was your installer? Was it Matt? He's the area supervisor that was at my place this morning...

From what I can tell all the issues are either Charter or CableCard related and not TiVo....Matt (the area installation supervisor) said they've been having a lot of problems with the CableCards.

Robert
rfolsom805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #312
2big4burb

Had Charter come today. I told them to bring 4 cards, he only had 2. Put them in and got the famous "firmware update screen of death" I left the screen on for 5 hours, but eventually gave up. So I pulled them and reinserted them in different slots (hey, let's have fun with it). Same result though. Charter guy is willing and interested in the challenge and will return with more cards. I'm thinking it's two more visits minimum.

Here's the card info:
Scientific Atlantica
PowerKEY Model PKM600
03/13/2006
2big4burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 PM   #313
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by octomonkee
thank you, cotton168. Yes, I take a bit of solace knowing that I'm not alone in this craziness. I do, however, have yet another Pasadena update...

Got a call a few minutes ago from a Charter dispatch person working in Irwindale local head office. Good news...they are going to have the cablecards fixed sooner than they originally thought. They're saying Tuesday, Oct 3rd, all of the cards should be "reprogrammed" at the warehouse, and they'll hit the road with them on Wednesday, the 4th. So, my appointment got moved up to Wednedsay. The skeptic in me says not to rejoice just yet. I'll reserve that for Wednesday.
Hey octomonkee, I'm glad that we can offer each other support. I think we all seriously need it with what we're going through with Charter. LOL
Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 PM   #314
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
This thread has been very helpful though. Thanks to everyone here.

--Larry
Here, here, Larry. Glad that everyone here reports what is going on with their own Charter installs, but it is an awesome place. Good luck with the second card and I hope everything works out well for you.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 PM   #315
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4burb
Had Charter come today. I told them to bring 4 cards, he only had 2. Put them in and got the famous "firmware update screen of death" I left the screen on for 5 hours, but eventually gave up. So I pulled them and reinserted them in different slots (hey, let's have fun with it). Same result though. Charter guy is willing and interested in the challenge and will return with more cards. I'm thinking it's two more visits minimum.

Here's the card info:
Scientific Atlantica
PowerKEY Model PKM600
03/13/2006
Yeah, I think a minimum of 2 visits is the going at this time. Both of my current cards say 2005, but they have issues with them (can't receive premium channels) so they are going out on Sunday. Good luck to you and I hope you don't get any more firmwares of death!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #316
eric_mcgovern

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfolsom805
Eric,

I didn't notice the KKFXHD issue, but yes, I only get a blank screen too. On the following channels, I get the message to call charter: 143, 145, 399, 414 and 680. I have an Charter SA DVR box and I get all 5 of those + Fox just fine.... I'm a little ticked about Fox, I thought I'd gone through them all this morning...I must have missed this one.

I'm curious who was your installer? Was it Matt? He's the area supervisor that was at my place this morning...

From what I can tell all the issues are either Charter or CableCard related and not TiVo....Matt (the area installation supervisor) said they've been having a lot of problems with the CableCards.

Robert
Actually, it wasn't Matt, but my installer was talking to a Matt who was installing a cablecard in a TiVo! Must have been yours!

I am going to keep pestering Charter over this, because the MOXI does the same wierd things with FOX not being mapped correctly. For whatever reason, the SA boxes can deal with it.
eric_mcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #317
eric_mcgovern

Well looks like I won't have to bother Charter too much. I tuned to FOX tonight and it came in crystal clear! So now everything is work just as planed!
eric_mcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #318
cotton168

Great news to hear eric_mcgovern! Hopefully Robert's Fox channel will clear itself up as well.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #319
Buran

So far so good -- I'd gotten a 1-5pm window, and they came slightly earlier than that. I didn't mind, told them to come over when they called.

It took a bit for the cards to be authed and for the channels to come up, got the -4 error twice, and then the cards had to auth from 2 on up, but so far they seem to be working.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #320
cotton168

Nice Buran! Can you tell us what area are you from? I believe getting the -4 error is a signal that the cards are working. Getting the "Updating Firmware" message is another story though.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #321
Buran

I didn't have that problem. I'm in Brentwood, MO. (St. Louis area).
Old 10-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #322
ChuckyBox

Still no progress to report here. I've had Charter hit the misbehaving card a couple more times, and I've talked about the problem with TiVo techs, but the one card still won't get the premium channels. I have an appointment for an installer to come out tomorrow. I hope he brings a few cards.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #323
drevnock

SUCCESS !
Everything is finally working as it should!

3 Tech visits.
21 Phones calls to Call Center.
1 call to central dispatch, this # by far is worth its weight in gold.

Some audio drop out and during last nights epsisode of Desperate House wives all fine up until th e ast 15 minutes no useable audio and fractured video.

Not sure what that is about
drevnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #324
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
Still no progress to report here. I've had Charter hit the misbehaving card a couple more times, and I've talked about the problem with TiVo techs, but the one card still won't get the premium channels. I have an appointment for an installer to come out tomorrow. I hope he brings a few cards.
Chucky, it sounds like you have the same problem I did on one of my cards (could not receive premiums on it). It turned out to be a low signal problem. The low signal was preventing the "hit" from reaching the cards.

The solution was to go straight to the wall, and increase the signal in other ways too. Make sure your installer checks the signal before he even begins, then have dispatch send the hit again...
Old 10-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #325
MitchW

Charter-CT-does NOT support TiVo

I just got off the phone with Charter in Connecticut. I had purchased a second Sony HD TV and wanted to know my options for HD DVR boxes. I asked about the TiVo S3. The person I spoke to said that Charter does not support TiVo with Cable Cards and would NOT install the Cards for me. They said the Scientific Atlanta box to buy costs $ 1,000 but to rent costs $ 12 per month. The Scientific Atlanta box has 160 Gb. They said half the boxes distributed are Motorola boxes for the SAME lease price and only have 80 Gb. I insisted on the Scientific Atlanta box since I already have an SA 8300 HD on my other TV.

In any event the installer used my box for another customer this morning and I am waiting for another SA box for this afternoon.

This is the first I heard that Charter would not support TiVo at all. I was considering buying an S3 since I am eligible for the $ 200 upgrade for lifetime. This also appears to confirm that the SA 8300 HD can be purchased for $ 1,000 and that is where TiVo probably got their $ 800 price plus $ 200 for the lifetime upgrade.

I had heard there is an SA improved 8350 box with upgraded software elsewhere in the Internet. Charter said they have not heard about that one and would not lease it to me.
MitchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #326
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW
I just got off the phone with Charter in Connecticut. I had purchased a second Sony HD TV and wanted to know my options for HD DVR boxes. I asked about the TiVo S3. The person I spoke to said that Charter does not support TiVo with Cable Cards and would NOT install the Cards for me.
There are many reports of this. The person you spoke to is mis-informed. The Tivo Series 3 is approved by CableLabs and Charter MUST provide CableCARDs for it.

Call back and talk to another CSR. If that doesn't get you anywhere, call again and say you want to order two cablecards for two TV sets.

The person who will activate the cards on the other end of the phone has no way of knowing if the cards are going into a TV or a Tivo.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #327
Buran

That's a joke, Mitch. My installers said something about having seen a few Tivos and although they said they don't support TiVo, they did install the cards. "We don't support that" means "go ahead but our call centers can't help you if you have any problems".

I believe the rep probably lied to you because they don't want to lose income from the sale of the boxes. Charter leases the CableCards for $1.50/month (so I pay $3 a month) and then there are fees if you add any additional channel tiers (I added Dig Inf and HD Lifeline, though I think Lifetime may be free), and because possibly they think customers who have TiVos may tie up support needlessly.

Regardless, they are required to support the device, so look into filing a complaint as appropriate, and if you call and are rebuffed again, ask for a supervisor as many times as necessary to find someone who knows what they're talking about.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #328
cotton168

I haven't heard of that either. However, MitchW, if you want Charter to install the CCs, when you call their tech support just tell them it is for a TV if they ask. There is no need to volunteer any info that they didn't ask. All the Charter techs that have come to our house didn't have a problem with installing it in the S3. What they were having problems was the CCs themselves. Good luck with that and I am for sure not going to be purchasing an SA box no matter how desperate I am. LOL
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #329
cotton168

Okay, I am now getting upset with Charter now because of the fact that Louie didn't come on Sunday and some dumb butt came. He immediately told me that they were having problems with the CCs and didn't know if they would work. He had 5 CCs in his car, but only brought 1 with him since he said that the other 4 were the same build as that one. He came in and took the two original CCs out and put in that one. When it didn't work, he took off and said that there was nothing that he could do after drinking and eating all the things we offered him. He did however leave his supervisor's number, but that doesn't work since his supervisor only works Thursday to Sunday. I'm now back in automated voice hell trying to get a tech out to assist me.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #330
MitchW

SA 8300's also in high demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
I haven't heard of that either. However, MitchW, if you want Charter to install the CCs, when you call their tech support just tell them it is for a TV if they ask. There is no need to volunteer any info that they didn't ask. All the Charter techs that have come to our house didn't have a problem with installing it in the S3. What they were having problems was the CCs themselves. Good luck with that and I am for sure not going to be purchasing an SA box no matter how desperate I am. LOL
The funny thing is that my installer came and did NOT have an SA 8300 HD with him. I'll have to wait yet another week apparently. The installer said there are very few of those around since demand has soared for that model since Tivo was introduced. Evidently, HD TV's are soaring in sales and the only good compatible boxes are the TiVo S3 and the SA 8300 HD. It appears it is hard to get both.
MitchW is offline   Reply With Quote