TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #151
TreoFred

Question for anyone with COX in the OC: I've had my S3 for almost two weeks now and after two (lenghty) technician visits, I still do NOT get all my channels.

The first time, I was missing about half of my premium channels (all the pacific feeds like HBOP, etc.) and the HBO and Showtime Hd ones as I guess they are the pacific ones (DirectTv throws the East coast feed for HBO-HD and Showtim-HD so I'm not sure.)

After the second visit, I know get all my premium channels but I've lost INHD1, INHD2, TNT-HD and UHD.

Some people have suggested that due to the S3 Design, if those are on switched digital channels (which I'm not sure they are), it might be impossible to get it all...

So... my question to anybody with Cox Orange County: do you get EVERYTHING?

Thanks beforehand for any help!

Fred
TreoFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #152
ehardman

Four more "bad" cards. I guess slot 2 is not working. Tivo says I must return to Circuit City where I bought it to exchange for a new one since it is within the first 30 days. Circuit City has them in stock and I have a new coming via express shipping.

Hope your day goes better than mine!

Total time with Cox in my home, 4 hours 20 minutes.

Last edited by ehardman : 09-27-2006 at 04:39 PM.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM   #153
RoanokeHokie
1 of the "Lucky" 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoFred
Question for anyone with COX in the OC: I've had my S3 for almost two weeks now and after two (lenghty) technician visits, I still do NOT get all my channels. ... So... my question to anybody with Cox Orange County: do you get EVERYTHING?
I live in Irvine, and my apartment complex is served by Cox Orange County.

At first, all of my 'premium' services were showing up on only 1 of my 2 cards. On card 1, I could tune Showtime (240) and Showtime HD (740), as well as TNT HD (718). None of those would show when I tested channels on card 2 at first. I'm guessing it was a systems error, as the technician was able to call his support contact to get it fixed.

My technician wasn't in a rush, so I did ask a bit more about the system here. According to the tech, Cox has no plans to go switched-digital (which simply means this tech hasn't heard or isn't talking); he did mention, though, that Cox had recently received local permission to increase their cable bandwidth from 750 MHz to 1 GHz to provide additional services. I'm not sure how much of the OC market that applies to, though.
RoanokeHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #154
Jayster36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreoFred
So... my question to anybody with Cox Orange County: do you get EVERYTHING?

Thanks beforehand for any help!

Fred

To answer your question: Although it was painful, yes, I do now get all the channels I had before, including HBO HD, Shotime HD, TNT HD IN-HD 1&2, MusicChoice, etc. The only thing I can no longer receive is any interactive services (Channel 1), and video on demand (including sports packages such as NHL Center Ice). I know from the beginning that I wouldn't have access to those anymore and that's OK. (Cox Orange County)
Jayster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #155
votsgirl

ehardman--

I had the same problem with the Tivo I bought at Circuit City. Cox was not able to get the second slot of my tivo to work with several cards. We concluded there was something wrong with the Tivo and I exchanged it for a new one. I set up another service call and the Cox guy was able to get both slots working on the new Tivo in about 30 minutes.
votsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #156
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by votsgirl
ehardman--

I had the same problem with the Tivo I bought at Circuit City. Cox was not able to get the second slot of my tivo to work with several cards. We concluded there was something wrong with the Tivo and I exchanged it for a new one. I set up another service call and the Cox guy was able to get both slots working on the new Tivo in about 30 minutes.
Thanks for the info. Looks like Tivo has a quality control issue along with all the other problems. You would think they would test these things before they leave leave the factory.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #157
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeHokie
I live in Irvine, and my apartment complex is served by Cox Orange County... My technician wasn't in a rush, so I did ask a bit more about the system here. According to the tech, Cox has no plans to go switched-digital (which simply means this tech hasn't heard or isn't talking); he did mention, though, that Cox had recently received local permission to increase their cable bandwidth from 750 MHz to 1 GHz to provide additional services. I'm not sure how much of the OC market that applies to, though.
I'm in Cox OC market as well. My (reliable) sources told me switched digital may start to happen by end of 2007 in Cox OC. It was originally slated to start early 2007 but has been delayed. I also did hear about the cable bandwidth projects and apparently digging is already underway in northern OC. Though the cable bandwidth will be 1GHz for future proofing the headend system bandwidth will be limited to 860MHz (still quite an improvement from 750MHz). Increase of around 110Mhz means about 18 more QAM 256 channels (6MHz each) which could accomodate in the neighborhood of 180-250 new SD digital channels or 40 HD channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #158
jodell
TiVo geek

I also can confirm that I recieve all of Cox OC's HD channels. Your problem sounds like the headend is not senging the proper authorizations to *both* cards. When I had my problems getting premium channels on card 2, the headend eventually found that they didn't "balance" both cards -- meaning they had more authorizations on card 1 than on card 2.

Good luck,

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #159
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman
Thanks for the info. Looks like Tivo has a quality control issue along with all the other problems. You would think they would test these things before they leave leave the factory.
You do realize that it is not possible to have a production line that yields 0% failures. Even if generally acceptable DOA rates are 1%, so if TiVo shipped 100,000 of these in the first week, 1000 of them will have some kind of problem. Shoot even at 0.5% there will still be 500 bad units out there. Just because you and some other folks on this board got a bad unit doesn't mean there is some kind of quality control issue and that TiVo did no testing on the unit.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #160
jfh3

Nice thought, but there is NO WAY Tivo shipped 100,000 units in the first week.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #161
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Nice thought, but there is NO WAY Tivo shipped 100,000 units in the first week.
Fine. They've shipped 10,000 since they started. That means at least 50 bad units. The logic still holds. Just because a half a dozen people have had problems with their units doesn't mean everyone at TiVo is a moron, nobody does any testing, and they have a HUGE quality control problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #162
vtrduong

Well, I got the Tivo Series 3 on the 14th. Had to wait for the cablecard installation till the 19th. I'm under Cox Fairfax. The first installer installed both cards on that date. Slot 1 works fine since it brings up my premium channels, digital cable channels, and broadcast channels. However, slot 2 only brought up my broadcast channels. Won't display HBO, Discovery, ESPN, TNT, or other cable channels. Got another technician to come out this past Tuesday evening and he switched the second card out with two other cards (that were never used before, brand new) and it still has the same problem! So I have another technician coming out later today. But I'm thinking its the slot 2 on the tivo box that doesn't work b/c the technician from Tuesday said they've been getting a lot of people with Tivos that have the same problem that I have. What also stinks is the fact I can't go to any Best Buys around here to exchange the unit since none of them have it in stock.
vtrduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #163
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
Fine. They've shipped 10,000 since they started. That means at least 50 bad units. The logic still holds. Just because a half a dozen people have had problems with their units doesn't mean everyone at TiVo is a moron, nobody does any testing, and they have a HUGE quality control problem.
I agree.

Never had a problem with your presmise, just the number. (And even 10K would be fantastic!)
Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #164
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtrduong
Well, I got the Tivo Series 3 on the 14th. Had to wait for the cablecard installation till the 19th. I'm under Cox Fairfax. The first installer installed both cards on that date. Slot 1 works fine since it brings up my premium channels, digital cable channels, and broadcast channels. However, slot 2 only brought up my broadcast channels. Won't display HBO, Discovery, ESPN, TNT, or other cable channels. Got another technician to come out this past Tuesday evening and he switched the second card out with two other cards (that were never used before, brand new) and it still has the same problem! So I have another technician coming out later today. But I'm thinking its the slot 2 on the tivo box that doesn't work b/c the technician from Tuesday said they've been getting a lot of people with Tivos that have the same problem that I have. What also stinks is the fact I can't go to any Best Buys around here to exchange the unit since none of them have it in stock.
Sounds like a balancing problem to me, not your Tivo. Read the prior posts regarding this problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #165
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Sounds like a balancing problem to me, not your Tivo. Read the prior posts regarding this problem.
I had a similar problem as the original poster (I'm also Cox/Fairfax), and nobody I spoke to (the install technician, the two CSR reps) had any idea what "balancing" meant. The only thing that fixed it was a new CableCard. I feel like maybe the problem was at the headend, but the new CableCard fixed it, so I guess I don't care. But I agree it doesn't sound like a Tivo problem ... the Tivo problems I've seen posted are where the card doesn't work at all.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #166
ehardman

Quote:
1. Generally acceptable DOA rates are 1%: Acceptable to whom? What's your source?
2. Half a dozen people have had problems. Interesting number. What's your source?
3. Moron: Can't find the use of this word in my post.
4. HUGE: Can't find the use of this word in my post either.
I was just responding to the post of another user with an identical problem as mine. Just seems to me there would be a diagnostic run on the machine before it left the factory.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #167
vtrduong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I had a similar problem as the original poster (I'm also Cox/Fairfax), and nobody I spoke to (the install technician, the two CSR reps) had any idea what "balancing" meant. The only thing that fixed it was a new CableCard. I feel like maybe the problem was at the headend, but the new CableCard fixed it, so I guess I don't care. But I agree it doesn't sound like a Tivo problem ... the Tivo problems I've seen posted are where the card doesn't work at all.
The weird thing is that when we put in the second card into slot 2, no information pops up at all. I had to manually go into the menus to get the Cable Card ID and Host ID. Also in the Cablecard CP menu, the Powerkey status says "Not Ready-Waiting for EMMs.", while for the first cablecard, it says "Ready". The Cox rep had hit the Cablecard in slot 2 to no avail. And she said that they didn't see any problems. Urghh at being an early adaptor.....
vtrduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #168
brage

Cox (Phoenix, AZ) came out and installed my cable cards in about 45 minutes. He tested the signal at the box outside, then at the wall plate, (it was perfect), then he installed the first card, called in and then it came up, installed the second card, called in and it came up... and been dandy ever since (this was on monday morning).

I'm very happy with my Series 3!

BTW - I also upgraded it to a seagate 750GB sata drive, it is a bit noisier than the 250GB WD drive that comes with the Series 3, but it is 3x the capacity and all

-Jeff
brage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #169
pkscout

Quote:
[indent]1. Generally acceptable DOA rates are 1%:
If you're going to get all pissy, quote stuff, and look for literal text in your posts, at least do me the honor of quoting the whole thing I said.

Even if Generally acceptable DOA rates are 1%.

The bold part is important. It indicates a possible scenario, not fact.

If you want to complain and claim that TiVo has done no testing and has no quality control that's fine. Just don't bitch when I call you on it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #170
jodell
TiVo geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I had a similar problem as the original poster (I'm also Cox/Fairfax), and nobody I spoke to (the install technician, the two CSR reps) had any idea what "balancing" meant.
When I had my "balancing" problem, what the Cable Tech meant was that the programs I subscribed to where not added equally to each cable card. Apparently, to the person doing the provisioning at the headend, each cable card looks like a separate cable box. They seem to have a problem getting all of the authorizations added to cable cards but do OK when doing the same for a *real* cable box.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #171
ehardman

Quote:
Even if Generally acceptable DOA rates are 1%.

The bold part is important. It indicates a possible scenario, not fact.
So in otherwords, you made it up. What else did you make up? You didn't answer any of my questions.

Last edited by ehardman : 09-28-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:01 AM   #172
Timber

Guys can you get all pissy with each other in another thread (or even better via Private Message) and leave this thread for Cox Cable Cards?

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #173
pkscout

Quote:
So in otherwords, you made it up. What else did you make up? You didn't answer any of my questions.
And I am electing not to. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over who is right. You believe that 1 single bad unit means TiVo is a company who is incapable of the most basic testing during the production process. I disagree with you. That's the end of that.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #174
jcaudle

has anyone heard whether cox in Fairfax is going to switched digital anytime soon?
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #175
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Just had my Cox Fairfax install completed.

The guy showed up at 5:25, and was done by 5:55. And that included performing my Guided Setup to change over to Digital cable!

No problems at all with the CableCards. He plugged them in, started my Guided Setup, called into the office to get them activated, and by the time the Setup ended, he was off the phone. It couldn't have gone smoother.

My only issues are with 705 (Fox) and 709 (CBS). They seem to be intermittent, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

Cable signal strength is no less than 98 across the board.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #176
ehardman

I got my replacement Tivo from Circuity City and had Cox come for attempt #2 Friday afternoon. The same technician came again as he is now the "expert" for Cox locally. He got the replacement Tivo up and running in about 20 minutes.

Everything went very smooth once I had a unit with two working cable card slots.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #177
Dick Kalagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon
Just had my Cox Fairfax install completed.

The guy showed up at 5:25, and was done by 5:55. And that included performing my Guided Setup to change over to Digital cable!

No problems at all with the CableCards. He plugged them in, started my Guided Setup, called into the office to get them activated, and by the time the Setup ended, he was off the phone. It couldn't have gone smoother.

My only issues are with 705 (Fox) and 709 (CBS). They seem to be intermittent, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

Cable signal strength is no less than 98 across the board.
That sounds like a pretty big limitation. Have you fixed the problem. I know two of the locals on Cox are above 800MHz, but the S3 is supposed to tune there OK. Is Cox charging you a $6.99 "digital gateway" fee for each cablecard in addition to the cablecard fee?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #178
Shades

Exclamation Problems...

Hey folks,

I'm another Fairfax Cox customer, and had my cablecards installed in the first week that the S3's shipped... when I first got them installed, everything seemed fine, and immediately thereafter I had to travel on company business. Since returning, I immediately noticed some weird things going on...

1. The primary cablecard seems to be able to get all the channels I subscribe to, though they all appear to be digital so I have no recording quality options.

2. The second cablecard cablecard seems to be able to recieve the HD channels, (and by that I mean only the "free" network HD channels), and a few of the non-HD non-network channels (like public service channels) but doesn't seem to recieve anything else. Black screen but no message about missing signal.

I called Cox and explained the issue. They said they would refresh the programming signal to both cards to make sure they both have the same channels. That didn't seem to make any difference.

I figured I'd need to get a tech out there eventually, but at least it was all working well enough on the primary tuner, so I was fine.

Now, a week later I am seeing new issues:

1. I recorded the 2nd episode of "Heroes" in HD it only recorded the last 40 minutes of the show and it was almost unwatchable due to digital artifacting and sound cutting in and out. When I could see it, the picture looked great, but it kept being broken up. When I checked the the channel on live TV (705 I think) it was doing the same thing. On the second tuner the signal seemed fine and it did not have that digital artifacts issue on any of the HD channels.

2. Today I try to record "Lost" in HD and when I turn on the TV to see if its working properly, there is just a black screen. I make sure its working, and when I hit info it tells me there is no signal. I stop the recording to check the other channels and one of the other HD channels also shows no signal, but the rest seem to be okay. I tune to SciFi (82) and it tunes properly, but now I'm seeing some of the digital artifacts on that channel now too, even tho its supposed to be analog (or it was before.) I also check with the 2nd tuner and it also does not see a signal on those two HD channels, but it still doesn't get SciFi so I check channel 8 which seems fine.

I check diagnostics and it shows my signal strengh as 65 (with lock okay) on my main tuner which is tuned to channel 82 and signal strength 0 (with lock okay) on the 2nd one, which is tuned to channel 8. When I checked yesterday, I'm pretty sure both showed signal strength of 78 on HD channels. I'm pretty sure they showed 100 when Cox first installed the cablecards.

My system is also one of those that when you go to the cablecard config menu that constantly pops in and out of diagnostic modes on its own and you have to hit the Tivo button to get back to the main menu. It won't stay on the cablecard troubleshooting menus long enough to do much. The 2nd cablecard originally was attempted to be installed in slot 1, but wouldn't initialize there... though it seemed to work fine in slot 2 after another card went into slot 1.

So, it sounds like at least one of my cablecards (probably 2nd one) is not working right or at least not accepting programming, though seems to be working fine elsewhere. It also seems like there is something funky going on with my signal strength too. I have a cable modem as well and it seems to be working fine.

Figure I should probably schedule another appt to at least try to get the 2nd card exchanged, but not sure about the rest. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Darrin
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 AM   #179
Dark Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades
Hey folks,

I'm another Fairfax Cox customer, and had my cablecards installed in the first week that the S3's shipped... when I first got them installed, everything seemed fine, and immediately thereafter I had to travel on company business. Since returning, I immediately noticed some weird things going on...

1. The primary cablecard seems to be able to get all the channels I subscribe to, though they all appear to be digital so I have no recording quality options.

2. The second cablecard cablecard seems to be able to recieve the HD channels, (and by that I mean only the "free" network HD channels), and a few of the non-HD non-network channels (like public service channels) but doesn't seem to recieve anything else. Black screen but no message about missing signal.

I called Cox and explained the issue. They said they would refresh the programming signal to both cards to make sure they both have the same channels. That didn't seem to make any difference.
I am Cox/Fairfax as well, and I had the _exact_ same problems as you (second cablecard only tuned a few channels). The only thing that fixed it was another truck roll and a replacement card. I haven't seen anything like the other problems you reported, though.
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #180
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades
I check diagnostics and it shows my signal strengh as 65 (with lock okay) on my main tuner which is tuned to channel 82 and signal strength 0 (with lock okay) on the 2nd one, which is tuned to channel 8. When I checked yesterday, I'm pretty sure both showed signal strength of 78 on HD channels. I'm pretty sure they showed 100 when Cox first installed the cablecards.
Get the cable company to check your signal levels (in the incoming cable).

If you are seeing only 65-80 on the Tivo meter, something's wrong.

I would expect a level of 65 to possible result in the recording/signal problems you mention.