Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #241
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
We are stuck at a screen: failed to load 'pod:///utils/cpdiag.html

We shall see what happens.
That doesn't sound good. Never had that error during the install of my 4 cards.
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #242
adventurelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
That doesn't sound good. Never had that error during the install of my 4 cards.
Well, he just left. One card gave the above error, and the second card gave a failure to load error

The cards were Scientific Atlanta PKM600

He is going to come back on Friday with some new cards and try again.

--Larry

Last edited by adventurelarry : 09-27-2006 at 03:07 PM.
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #243
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168
Hey TK421, I did a little searching for you and found that Leo_N had success with his Charter CCs. He is located at Pell Lake, WI (don't know where that is, but maybe you do). For his post, he is on Page 7 and is post #194. Good luck with that.
Ah, search thread, what a concept (yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes)...it looks like earlier in the thread etsolow had a successful install in Madison, so I'll run with that.

I'm also going to look at TiVo's feedback form and submit something to them. (I realize that's not to resolve the issue itself, but to provide them with info on install difficulties).
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #244
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry
Well, he just left. One card gave the above error, and the second card gave a failure to load error

The cards were Scientific Atlanta PKM600

He is going to come back on Friday with some new cards and try again.

--Larry
Charter must have multiple suppliers, because I am pretty sure all 4 of my cards were Motorola branded.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #245
drevnock

TK421
I am in Fort Atkinson. I am on the second attempt on Thursday.
The tech I had the 1st time was useless ( sub contractor).
I am hoping against hope that something good comes of this and I get a tech that gives a ^&(^%.

He actually said upon leaving that he gets 7.00 per card install and it wasn't worth his time to try and get them running.

They won't happen next time.

Good luck !
drevnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #246
Navarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevnock
TK421
I am in Fort Atkinson. I am on the second attempt on Thursday.
The tech I had the 1st time was useless ( sub contractor).
I am hoping against hope that something good comes of this and I get a tech that gives a ^&(^%.

He actually said upon leaving that he gets 7.00 per card install and it wasn't worth his time to try and get them running.

They won't happen next time.

Good luck !
WTH? THey aren't paid hourly?
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #247
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
My guy said it was a flat fee per install too, so installs like mine that took 2.5 hours kill him.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #248
bobafett86

Try and call again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421
Ok, so I sent an email inquiry about CC in Madison, and got the response that they weren't offering them yet. I think there was someone in this thread that had a successful install, right? I'd like to be able to tell them about my "friend" who already has them working when I read them the riot act.

I talked with a dispatcher this morning and trust me we have cable cards (Over well over a year now) and we do install them into the Tivo's. Try calling the 800 number again.
bobafett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #249
TK421

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett86
I talked with a dispatcher this morning and trust me we have cable cards (Over well over a year now) and we do install them into the Tivo's. Try calling the 800 number again.
Thanks, bobafett, I'll do that. It's a little funny in that the availability of cable cards wasn't even my question, my question was about what channel packages are available when you have a cable card.
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #250
bobafett86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
Charter must have multiple suppliers, because I am pretty sure all 4 of my cards were Motorola branded.

Yes some headends run Motorola Set Top Boxes and CC's and some run SA Set Top Boxes and CC's. Here in Madison it's Motorola.
bobafett86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #251
dominovm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlungerMan
Just got off the phone with a savvy sounding head tech dude in charge of the Charter’s southern region here in sunny so ca. Sounded encouraging and said will know more in a day or two. They were in the process of syncing up the cards so they can be auth to accept signals (while in the S3) from there head end, hence why all channels not coming in. Stay tuned. I know you all love me so no need to send any encouraging comments.. Thanks.
PlungerMan

I too Live in Charter LA territory. I have had three visits and have been working with the Charter Supervisor to get these damn things working. Last weekend we got them completely working. The tech's name is Mavi, and they have been sending him out to do cable card installs almost exclusively (he actually called me today to tell me that he had yet another tivo install). He told me that he found that none of the SA cards dated 4/06 have been registered on the Charter system (and he has been trying to get them off their buts to register them). He told me that all the cards dated 2005 in their warehouse have already been registered, and since my visit, he has had no problems getting them up and running within fifteen minutes. He stopped by yesterday and got my second S3 working in about ten minutes. He has been bringing other techs to show them how to do the tivo installs.
dominovm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #252
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominovm
PlungerMan

I too Live in Charter LA territory. I have had three visits and have been working with the Charter Supervisor to get these damn things working. Last weekend we got them completely working. The tech's name is Mavi, and they have been sending him out to do cable card installs almost exclusively (he actually called me today to tell me that he had yet another tivo install). He told me that he found that none of the SA cards dated 4/06 have been registered on the Charter system (and he has been trying to get them off their buts to register them). He told me that all the cards dated 2005 in their warehouse have already been registered, and since my visit, he has had no problems getting them up and running within fifteen minutes. He stopped by yesterday and got my second S3 working in about ten minutes. He has been bringing other techs to show them how to do the tivo installs.
Excellent.
If anyone has problems in the Ca. area, I suggest you point them to Long Beach and me in this forum. I did that to them, using another success story from Charter in another state, and it seemed to work, or it was a coincidence that it worked, because soon after that they got it to go. Also obviously stating the FCC ruling.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #253
octomonkee

Pasadena, CA reporting in...

Ok, cableguy got here @ 6pm; left @ 8pm. Was 2 hours late from end of scheduled appt window of 2pm - 4pm.

Anyway, got one cablecard working out of 5. Got many "updating cablecard firmware" screens of death. Finally, the last cablecard worked and "bonded" w/ Charter people on the other end. Now, I've got to schedule another appt for them to come out and install the other cablecard.

My guy was a total novice (as most are since this is a new thing for them), he wanted to bypass the the Tivo installation instructions all-together. The other guy that he was "pinging" my cablecard to had no idea about the S3 Tivo, either. Charter really needs to get their act together quickly. My guy said he was getting paid overtime to be here. It's going to cost Charter a lot of money if these guys don't pow-wow soon and come up with a unified solution.

I'm just happy right now w/ the one cablecard working. At least I get to watch tv. Haven't been able to play around w/ the HD channels yet because had to start recording a show right @ 8pm when it all got hooked up (remember, no dual tuners for me since I've only got the one cablecard installed). I'm crossing my fingers that the HD channels are going to show up. When I was flipping through the channel set up, it didn't look like I was getting my HBO, etc. I'll check for that again in the morning.

Will report back when my other cablecard gets installed.

Update: just found out I'm not getting channels above 100 (except for the HD local channels). Urgh! New cableguy (requested one w/ some experience w/ S3 -- Ha!) coming out on Friday. Call window 8am to 5pm. Double Urgh!

Last edited by octomonkee : 09-27-2006 at 11:55 PM.
octomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #254
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

You know, so far the only downside to the S3 has been the lack of PPV (well I guess ONDemand too, but they have never had it enabled for me yet, so I don't miss it.) What I am thinking is hopefully Charter will get smart and give us some easy way to do our PPV buys through the internet. Some type of password protected website would be nice.

I haven't tried yet, but I suppose we can use the automated phone system to buy them, but that takes SO D**N LONG to go through that mess. Anyways, hopefully all of us here without the easy quick-buy option will get them off their butts to do something like that.

Don't want to miss my UFC!

Now that I think about it, website buying would be perfect, you can schedule and buy the event and then use TivoCentralOnline to schedule to record it, and not even be home.

If any Charter big wigs are lurking, look into this!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 AM   #255
cotton168

That's a good idea Leo_N! Website purchasing of PPV stuff would be wonderful. Once you pay for it, they give you a code to punch into the system and off you go, but I think we might need CC 2.0 to do a two-way or something like that. The one-ways that we have now won't work.
cotton168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #256
cotton168

I seriously cannot believe how many most Charter posters there are now. Welcome everyone!!

Hey ChuckyBox, yeah, I really had no comment whatsoever when the guy showed up to my place without any CCs. I was really dumbfounded but too damn sick to even start bitching at him about it. I realize that he is only an employee, but come on!!! However, at least tomorrow we will see how things go. I know that you also have an install tomorrow so I wish you all the best.

One question for everyone...If the guys take out my CCs and put in new ones, do I lose all the recordings that are already saved on my TiVo or no? This is really important because I have not transferred them onto a DVD yet.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #257
ChuckyBox

Quote:
I know that you also have an install tomorrow so I wish you all the best.
Thanks, but based on Octomonkee's experinece, I'm not optimistic. It sounds like they're going to have to figure out the headend magic just like the Long Beach group did. I'm just going to keep my cable box hooked up to my Series 2 box until they get this sorted out. My appointment is this afternoon, so let me know how the morning goes -- if they struggle with it, see if you can get the tech on the other end of the phone to call his equivalent in Long Beach.

Quote:
One question for everyone...If the guys take out my CCs and put in new ones, do I lose all the recordings that are already saved on my TiVo or no? This is really important because I have not transferred them onto a DVD yet.
Changing cable cards should have no effect on anything you have stored on the box.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #258
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
if they struggle with it, see if you can get the tech on the other end of the phone to call his equivalent in Long Beach.
That's a good idea. I've got my appointment this afternoon and if we run into trouble I'll suggest that. Whether they'll do it or not is a different matter, but I'll suggest it.
Horrortaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #259
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Quote:
That's a good idea Leo_N! Website purchasing of PPV stuff would be wonderful. Once you pay for it, they give you a code to punch into the system and off you go, but I think we might need CC 2.0 to do a two-way or something like that. The one-ways that we have now won't work.
I was thinking more along the lines of buying on the web, with them automatically authorizing the PPV, without any further intervention. We would need to go through and do some type of setup/application to begin with, but after that simple login/password would be good enough. Should be easy enough to implement, really no different than calling in and ordering.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #260
cotton168

ChuckyBox, thank you very much. You put me at ease a bit (still don't know whether today will be a success or not). It's 9:00 and the cable guy is still not here. I heard that it is an entire day job, but I'm hoping that it isn't.

Leo_N, that sounds like a good idea. Now we need to see whether or not the cable guys would do it.

PlungerMan, when you got your CCs working, what does the Auth Status say? Mine says "Waiting for CP Auth" which I guess is the problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #261
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Charter will be at my place in 15 minutes (just spoke to dispatch). My cablecard in slot 1 does not get the premium HD channels, the one in slot 2 works perfectly.

Not sure what he'll do, I'll let you guys know.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #262
rmracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia
How do you come to that conclusion? The only thing that would make a cable box obsolete is if new technology emerges (such as HDTV which made series 1 and series 2 TiVo obsolete in my view). The cable/TV industry moves very very slowly (look how long it took for HDTV to take hold), so I don't see new crop of HDTV DVRs being obsolete by any means for years to come.

I can see these boxes staying in operation for 5-10 years if not longer. Heck some people I know who still did not go for HDTV still use their Series 1 TiVo from 7 years ago!

At $12/mo for a Moxi, supposing it lasted 7 years, and not accounting for any fee increase, a Moxi box would have brought $820. If its cost was truly $800, I grant you, that's a long time to get back your money, but I doubt it. These boxes are probably closer to sub-$500 in cost to the cable companies. Think about it, the Series 3 which is leaps and bounds better than a Moxi RETAILS for $800, so a Moxi should sell in bulk to the cable companies for $200-$400 IMHO. But I don't know for sure...
I don't know that they ever becoming obsolete. I still have the original Philips 14 hour Tivo (upgraded with a 60gig drive and network adapter) feeding my slingbox, I use it everyday from work!
rmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #263
cotton168

Okay, Charter just left my house and the new CCs he brought were no good at all. They both said that they were updating new firmware. Instead of waiting, he went to check the lines and basically said that he would be here Sunday in the morning and this time, he was going to make sure the warehouse checks the CCs before he brings them over. Very nice tech who said he did work on an S3 on Sunday and everything was perfect. Makes me sad that I have so much trouble. His name is Louie. He'll be back Sunday so I'll give you more info. I told him that if he or the dispatch are having issues, to call LB Charter since they figured out what the problem was.

Good luck Sepia on your CC install! At least you have one CC working.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #264
Sepia
TiVo Special Member

Quote:
Okay, Charter just left my house and the new CCs he brought were no good at all. They both said that they were updating new firmware. Instead of waiting, he went to check the lines and basically said that he would be here Sunday in the morning and this time, he was going to make sure the warehouse checks the CCs before he brings them over. Very nice tech who said he did work on an S3 on Sunday and everything was perfect. Makes me sad that I have so much trouble. His name is Louie. He'll be back Sunday so I'll give you more info. I told him that if he or the dispatch are having issues, to call LB Charter since they figured out what the problem was.

Good luck Sepia on your CC install! At least you have one CC working.
Louie?? That might be the same guy who came to my house in Glendale, CA.

We solved the problem. I posted about it here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...04#post4426904

The short story, it turns out it was the signal strength that was not enough to receive authorization from the cable company. We increased the signal strength and the "hit" was then successful...

Good luck to you!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #265
Slowdrag

I think I read every post in this thread, but I can't find the answer.

Can anyone in the Long Beach, CA area that's had S3 cablecard setup success please post the firmware number and card model (motorolla, SA) that worked?

They're coming to me on Monday. I wanna make sure they come with the right cards.

I've got nothing but tales of woe dealing with Charter installers.

Thanks.
Slowdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #266
cotton168

Oh Slowdrag, I feel for you! Hopefully you will have a better technician coming to you on Monday. Best of luck to you. Great question that you asked too. Maybe when the tech comes or before they come, you can tell them to double check the CCs before in the warehouse before they come. That way, it won't be such a waste of time for everybody. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #267
cotton168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia
Louie?? That might be the same guy who came to my house in Glendale, CA.

We solved the problem. I posted about it here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...04#post4426904

The short story, it turns out it was the signal strength that was not enough to receive authorization from the cable company. We increased the signal strength and the "hit" was then successful...

Good luck to you!
Yeah, his name was Louie and yes, he was very nice and double checked all the signal strengths coming from the house and outside as well. He said that the signal strengths were great but just couldn't get the CCs to work. Instead of yours only working on one, both of my CCs are not working so I don't think it is a line issue. He even changed my cables for me to double check but to no success. I do have a MonsterCable PowerCenter HTS1600 that the cable from the wall is connected to and goes out to the Tivo. Do you think that could be the problem? I'll try disconnecting it and making the cable go directly into the S3, then have Charter hit the card and finally repower the TiVo. I'll post back to see if that solved anything. Thanks Sepia for your suggestion!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #268
drevnock

Well 1 out of 2 ain't bad! At least that is something!
3 hours on the phone with dispatch. It was definately on their end. Finally got a hold of someone there that said"oh I know how to do this" ( she was on speaker )and with in 10 minutes she had it going. WOW! Who ever you are I love you !

2nd slot card would not pair they are coming back Saturday to swap it out( only had 2 cards)
This was a great tech .. he even gave me the direct number to their central service and the extention of who I needed to talk to should there be more trouble .. FINALLY progress !
drevnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #269
cotton168

You are truly lucky drevnock! I think I might need to get their direct number so that I can call them and not have to have them come over all the time if it is just something they need to do on their end.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #270
Horrortaxi
Conspiracy Theorist

Charter left here a little while ago. I don't know if I had Louie or not, but the guy was really cool and he knew what he was doing (tech #2100 in case anyone still has their work order and wants to check if this was Louie). The whole visit was probably under 30 minutes. The cards paired fine and channels started to trickle in. I repeated guided setup and found that I don't have my basic channels 1-98. I think I have everything from 99 and up. I'm going to bypass my surge protector & splitter and have them hit the cards again. Hopefully that'll do it.
Horrortaxi is offline   Reply With Quote