TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #391
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooNYC
I'm curious about this too. Is it a system wide failure in the entire NYC area? That would really suck.
I just called and the CSR said all of Manhattan is affected. "We are aware of this problem", blah blah blah. Would be a disaster if every single CC in the area has to be replaced.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #392
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Arrow

Quote:
I'm curious about this too. Is it a system wide failure in the entire NYC area? That would really suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
I just called and the CSR said all of Manhattan is affected. "We are aware of this problem", blah blah blah. Would be a disaster if every single CC in the area has to be replaced.
Misery loves company but I promise you I didn't tell them "if mine won't work you need to break everyone else's too!"

VooDoo - where in Brooklyn are you? I'm on the Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill border near Atlantic & Henry. Maybe if the tech that's coming back out to you on Sat gets yours working he can come here and make mine work!
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #393
VoodooNYC

Quote:

It just seems really suspect that every cablecard in NYC is affected. Seems more likely that TW in NYC is completely clueless about cablecards.
VoodooNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #394
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
Misery loves company but I promise you I didn't tell them "if mine won't work you need to break everyone else's too!"

VooDoo - where in Brooklyn are you? I'm on the Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill border near Atlantic & Henry. Maybe if the tech that's coming back out to you on Sat gets yours working he can come here and make mine work!
Macsamurai: I'm close by, Carroll Gardens on 2nd Place. I'm not particularly hopeful after reading all these threads that anything is going to work anytime soon. Maybe time to get Tivo involved. NYC is a pretty big market for them to lose due to lack of cablecard education!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #395
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai
LOL, it crossed my mind last night but I'll trust you for now.

Is your S3 showing the FUGSOD (firmware upgrade grey screen of death) right now?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #396
VoodooNYC

Mine never got past FUGSOD at the install. Just did the upgrade for two days before I pulled the cards out and then it prompted me to go through guided setup again.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #397
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Quote:
LOL, it crossed my mind last night but I'll trust you for now.

Is your S3 showing the FUGSOD (firmware upgrade grey screen of death) right now?
My S3 is not showing the FUGSOD, which is why I am wondering if the LACk of that symptom proves what I've been saying all along, that my account is not provisioned properly. if it was, even though I am only getting a handful of channels, I'd think my cards would be equally affected by what everyone else's cards in NYC and/or Brooklyn are experiencing since yesterday. I haven't seen a post from anyone in Brooklyn with the firmware upgrade problem tho, so it's possible that only Manhattan got hit.

It all just sucks either way

It's so frustrating have a $1000 (incl the lifetime sub transfer) toy sitting in my livingroom that serves no real purpose right now other than as a pedestal for my DVD player in my AV cart!

Last edited by macsamurai : 09-28-2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #398
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlay
I finally got through to TWC (former Adelphia in Imperial Valley, CA...call center in Colorado), and the polite CSR lady told me that the non-working card is probably not an HD card, because it wasn't specified in the orginal work order. They look identical, but the serial numbers have a different sequence pattern.
LOL! There's no such thing as an HD CableCARD.

They are conditional access cards and don't care what the stream is.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #399
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
LOL! There's no such thing as an HD CableCARD.

They are conditional access cards and don't care what the stream is.
My installer (Austin) thought that the reason the switched digital channels which have an analog analog (not a typeo) were showing up on one cable card and not the other was because one of the cable cards was an analog cable card but the other was only digital.

As someone else said, "strictly bush league."
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #400
mentalradio

I tried scanning through the posts for this answer, sorry if I missed it and this is a repeat...

I'm in LA, called TWC to schedule CC install, but the CSR said I needed to pick the cards up at the Santa Monica office. I've read in posts from people in other cities that they've been told the same only to find out TWC won't give them cards when they actually get to the office. Before I drive from Silverlake to Santa Monica, has anyone in LA picked up the cable cards from the TW office and installed them on their own?
mentalradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #401
sdether

TWC in San Diego

I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything about TWC San Diego. If i missed it, please just point me there.

Anyway, i had finally rationalized getting the S3 and then I looked in this forum and got the crap scared out of me. So I called TWC San Diego to see what lame excuses they'd give me.

But they didn't. While I'm not sure the agent really knew what I was asking, the information I did receive was encouraging. $1.95/month/card. She told me that the Digital cable box was so much better than cablecards, and I told her, i needed cable cards for my tivo to record HD and she said "yeah, you do need the Cable cards then". I asked about SDV or switched channels and she didn't know what i was asking. I asked what channel would i not receive and she quoted me their CC info page word for word. So, at least it doesn't sound like SDV is in my area.

But my concern remains that I buy the box, get it working even and then 2-3 months down the line, channel will disappear one by one and i'lll be stuck with a useless box with lifetime service.

Any official word from Tivo about what's the deal with SDV and whether we will be able do a software upgrade on our S3s once CC 2.0 is out?

thanks,
arne
sdether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #402
Viktor

I am in the Dallas area (Richardson) and the Time Warner Tech came very punctual, he checked the cable setup and he said that I have the old system: cable A and cable B. This is incompatible with cable cards and system 3 TiVo. He said that in about 3 weeks it will be only one cable and I will be notified when that happens to set up another appointment. The $15 charge will not be applied. Six days ago I did received a letter from Time Warner telling me about the change on ar about October 27.

I called TiVo and they said the that the only way I can hook up my Tivo is to a single cable setup. I have tried to plug-in only cable A and no luck, the same when I tried cable B.

What a letdown
Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #403
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalradio
I tried scanning through the posts for this answer, sorry if I missed it and this is a repeat...

I'm in LA, called TWC to schedule CC install, but the CSR said I needed to pick the cards up at the Santa Monica office. I've read in posts from people in other cities that they've been told the same only to find out TWC won't give them cards when they actually get to the office. Before I drive from Silverlake to Santa Monica, has anyone in LA picked up the cable cards from the TW office and installed them on their own?
You'll want to be careful on that one... CSRs have told me I can pick up the CCs when, in fact, you cannot in my area. The CSRs that answer the phone are not always in your local area and may be making assumptions based on their own area (some other places do allow pickups).

I'm in the Redondo Beach area and TWC does not allow CC pickups. I believe I've read that others in the LA area weren't allowed to do pickups either.

I've been trying for 3 weeks to get a CC installed by a TWC installer... and you can bet I tried like crazy to see if they'll just let me pick it up... assuming they actually show up this Saturday (third attempt for an install) it'll have taken 3 weeks to perform a 10 minute task!

You might want to see if you contact your local office or the santa monica office directly to see what they have to say about pickups (I have a feeling it's a no-go). Best of luck...
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #404
sakaike

Quote:

I'm a TWC customer in Redondo Beach and my service center is in Hermosa, not Santa Monica. Also, I don't have a S3, but I'm following this thread because I'm considering a purchase and wanting to see how the early adopters are fairing. But I strongly advise you to call the Santa Monica office directly and speak to a supervisor before making the drive.

I recently had a tech out to work on my HD signal. His fixes didn't work, but it wasn't obvious until he was long gone. He was nice enough to leave me his Nextel number, and when I called him he suggested that for faster service, rather than scheduling another truck roll, I could take my Moto DCT6200 HD box down to the Hermosa office, where they would gladly do a box swap. When I got there, they refused to do it, so I was forced to schedule another appointment.

When the next tech arrived a few days later, they apologized for the erroneous information I had been given, and said that their current policy is to allow box swaps only for non-HD boxes. All cable cards and HD boxes must be installed by a tech. They said the policy might change in the future, but that's the way it is now.

Of course, this doesn't make much logical sense to me, and your mileage may vary, but I thought I would pass this anecdote along anyway.
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #405
pntsoptional

Quote:

I'm in Santa Monica (former Adelphia) and TWC is coming out in about two hours for the CC install. I didn't ask if I could pick them up on my own though. Also, I had to wait a week for the truck roll which was not great.

If I learn any lessons during the install, I’ll post an update.
pntsoptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #406
ahaley42

Austin S3 Premium Channel Issues

Does this warrant a new thread? Sound off here if you're in Austin and working except for the premium HD channels.
I'm one!
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #407
Lisa898

Quote:
Macsamurai: I'm close by, Carroll Gardens on 2nd Place. I'm not particularly hopeful after reading all these threads that anything is going to work anytime soon. Maybe time to get Tivo involved. NYC is a pretty big market for them to lose due to lack of cablecard education!!!

I wonder if we have the same installer. I'm just a few blocks from you guys and have an appointment Saturday from 8 to noon. I'm not terribly optomistic at this point after reading the posts here about whatever happened in all of NYC to screw up cable cards this week.
Lisa898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #408
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa898
I wonder if we have the same installer. I'm just a few blocks from you guys and have an appointment Saturday from 8 to noon. I'm not terribly optomistic at this point after reading the posts here about whatever happened in all of NYC to screw up cable cards this week.

Hi Lisa: Well I'm 10am to 2pm, so looks like you get your shot first. Even though last Saturday went poorly for me, I have to say that I got a few calls this week from a very kind supervisor who really went above and beyond to make sure I got an immediate follow-up. And he called back today to confim that he would try to have the tech guy bring a bunch of cable cards to try (Just don't use them all before he gets to me!!! )

But no, after reading all the failures going on in this area, I really have my doubts for a successful install as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #409
Thanatox

TW Lincoln, NE.
No problem install. Installer had read the same instructions that I had in a meeting earlier this week.
Thanatox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #410
infinitespecter

I just got done with the cable guy. He came with a Comcast card (just switched to TWC) and literally 5 minutes after he came, he was done and gone. Worked like a charm.
infinitespecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #411
NetJunkie

Had my install done today. This was the first CC install for the tech but everything went just fine. The only issue we had was that they didn't put the HD Suite on the second card. A quick call back to the main office and it was done. The people at the main office had a very good understanding of CCs and knew exactly what to do. Very pleased.

I noticed on the install sheet that Tivo says a minute or two after inserting a card you should get the MMI screen. Mine never did that. I finally went in to the CC config to the Host info screen and it showed what we needed.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #412
gavilon

Angry Twc Nyc Is Clueless!!!

Their system no longer announces that there's an outage in Manhattan for cable card service. However, everyone here seems to be experiencing it. I've been on the phone all day with customer service, bounced from one idiot to another. They are clueless. Two guys asked me to turn off my cable box after I'd explained that I had the CCs installed in my Tivo S3.

I've got some guy working on my case now and I've made a service appt. for Sat. to get some new cards installed. However, I don't think the cards are the problem. Seems like some back-end IT screw-up. Doesn't anyone over there think to back out the changes? My CCs were working just fine until yesterday at 6:40am. NO TV for 2 days now and I'm climbing the walls.

The guy working on my case asked me the model number and when I gave it to him he said this model was not supposed to work with their system. Told him his system still has a "typo" - TCD instead of TDC. He asked me where I got that information and I told him about this user group. I suggested to him that perhaps TWC might want to contact TIVO directly to confirm the correct model - DUH!!!
gavilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #413
gavilon

More from TWC NY

Just got a call back - I almost fainted!

The guy said he found the correct information on the model number and I was right.

He also said this is a system-wide issue and they will be resolving it tonight, hopefully by 6pm, if not definitely by 9pm.

Not holding my breath.

I'll let you know what happens next.

Last edited by gavilon : 09-28-2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: more information
gavilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #414
MeatSack

I am in Austin as well

I have not gotten cable cards yet, but I am VERY interested in all the issues everyone is seeing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaley42
Does this warrant a new thread? Sound off here if you're in Austin and working except for the premium HD channels.
I'm one!

MeatSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #415
DJRobX
{E2D9AA00-11F2-4F...

Los Angeles, Former Comcast

Guy came with both cablecards. He asked "Where's the TV?"... "They're going into a TiVo". He gave me a major "deer in the headlights" look. "That's never been done before so I don't know if its going to work". "Oh there are other customers in LA that have it working.". Despite his complaining about CableCARD the whole time, it seemed to go without a hitch and now the TiVo is doing dual tuner HD on cable.
DJRobX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #416
skanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavilon
Their system no longer announces that there's an outage in Manhattan for cable card service. However, everyone here seems to be experiencing it. I've been on the phone all day with customer service, bounced from one idiot to another. They are clueless. Two guys asked me to turn off my cable box after I'd explained that I had the CCs installed in my Tivo S3.

I've got some guy working on my case now and I've made a service appt. for Sat. to get some new cards installed. However, I don't think the cards are the problem. Seems like some back-end IT screw-up. Doesn't anyone over there think to back out the changes? My CCs were working just fine until yesterday at 6:40am. NO TV for 2 days now and I'm climbing the walls.

The guy working on my case asked me the model number and when I gave it to him he said this model was not supposed to work with their system. Told him his system still has a "typo" - TCD instead of TDC. He asked me where I got that information and I told him about this user group. I suggested to him that perhaps TWC might want to contact TIVO directly to confirm the correct model - DUH!!!
I was afraid of this type of thing! I'm waiting until price drops and TWC works out the bugs...sorry you're having problems!
skanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #417
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavilon
He also said this is a system-wide issue and they will be resolving it tonight, hopefully by 6pm, if not definitely by 9pm.

Not holding my breath.
Nothing yet at 7:12pm... glad my S2 TiVos are still around.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #418
VoodooNYC

Quote:
Nothing yet at 7:12pm... glad my S2 TiVos are still around.

Yup. Keeping both my S2 AND my cablebox till all of this is resolved.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #419
pntsoptional

Santa Monica (Ex Adelphia)

So I just had the CC cards installed and everything went peachy, despite the fact that things started off a little rocky.

* The tech had no idea the cards could go in a box
* He had never seen anything take two cards before
* He shoved both cards in at the same time even though the directions say to activate them one at a time
* He only brought two cards (one for backup) cause nothing takes two cards. (Yes, I told TW I needed two cards.)
* Got the “161-4” error but thanks to this board I knew that wasn’t a showstopper

He was a real nice guy though, and was totally willing to play with the thing if necessary to get it to work.

Seriously though, I can’t imagine the S3 will ever be the "mass market" product the S2 is. CC cards are just too finicky and you have to know more about the install process than the techs.

Once everything is up and running though, the S3 really is an awesome little gizmo.

PS: I also have all the HBO feeds, so switched digital doesn't seem to be an issue yet
pntsoptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #420
alee

Quote:
Yup. Keeping both my S2 AND my cablebox till all of this is resolved.
9pm, and the TiVo is still on the FUGSOD.

Guess it's time to call up TWCNYC (again).