TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #31
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
Ah - now we have another explanation about how all the cards are getting wedged. These cards aren't that robust if the firmware upgrade doesn't go as planned (and yanking a card out in the middle of a firmware upgrade is not "as planned").
That's true but my experience is that when you get the "firmware upgrade" it never ends. I wonder what are the cablecos doing with the cards replaced...sending to another customer?
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
nicwolff

My S3 here in NYC on Time-Warner Cable was fine since a trouble-free install last Thursday, but as of this morning shows the "Upgrading the CableCARD" message - for three hours now - and both cards are "Not in normal operation" if I try to configure them. System Information says both slots are "upgrading firmware".

TiVo customer support just said to call the cable company, Time-Warner ran through the usual routine and scheduled a visit... for Tuesday. This weekend will suck. The TWC operator did say she was going to "track" this problem and escalate it if they get more calls, which seems pretty likely.
nicwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #33
StephenTRoberts
Eb

Im having the Same problem in NYC... I already had TW coming out tomorrow... hopefully they will have a resolution by that time
StephenTRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #34
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwolff
My S3 here in NYC on Time-Warner Cable was fine since a trouble-free install last Thursday, but as of this morning shows the "Upgrading the CableCARD" message - for three hours now - and both cards are "Not in normal operation" if I try to configure them. System Information says both slots are "upgrading firmware".

TiVo customer support just said to call the cable company, Time-Warner ran through the usual routine and scheduled a visit... for Tuesday. This weekend will suck. The TWC operator did say she was going to "track" this problem and escalate it if they get more calls, which seems pretty likely.
Are your cards made by SA or Motorola?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #35
jimmythemoose

I'm having the same problem with Time Warner NYC. I have a CableCard directly in my TV that gave me the same message this morning. While my TV was "upgrading", I couldn't even change the input to see what was going on with the Tivo (it's hooked up to the same TV so I can have PIP). Anyway, the "upgrade" on the TV had been going on for at least 14 hours until I came home tonight and popped out the TV CableCard. I then was able to change inputs and saw the "upgrading CableCard" message on Tivo. I am able to watch recorded shows from Tivo, but nothing recorded today at all, so the Tivo cableCARDS must have been attempting an update all day, as well.
jimmythemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #36
jimmythemoose

Just spoke with TimeWarner NYC

The person I spoke to said that they know of the problem, they are working on it, and that "every cablecard in Manhattan" is having the problem. No timeframe. When I pulled out the cablecard on my TV and then put it back in, it worked for a few seconds, but then stopped. I wonder why I can't watch OTA channels while the upgrade is happening. I'm tempted to pull out the 2 Tivo cards and watch OTA, but don't really want to fry them.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #37
alee

TWCNYC Southern Manhattan, both cablecards are also stuck in firmware upgrade mode.

Sucks. Glad I kept my other 2 TiVos... I would have missed a few shows today.

Edit: Looks like whatever TWCNYC did also caused both of my other cable boxes to turn off. Right now, I've got nothing.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #38
jimmythemoose

I ejected all my cablecards (with the Tivo and TV on) and now can watch OTA. A message came up saying a cablecard has been removed, so hopefully they are okay.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #39
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

Is there anyone in Brooklyn (specifically Brooklyn Heights or Cobble Hill would be nice) who is also stuck in a CC firmware upgrade failure? If so - it would help me determine for sure if my cards aren't "paired" properly at the terminal station since I still have nothing but local channels from my cards and I have NOT seen the firmware update message. If others who HAD working CableCards in my area and then lost them because upgrades were sent to ALL the cards, then mine not being provisioned properly would be the only logical explanation as to why a firmware upgrade hasn't affected me. End result is the same of course... I still only have 8 out of the hundreds of channels I should have.

My saga begins here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4417948
macsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #40
alee

Anyone in the TWCNYC area getting a signal now are are your S3 units all stuck on the FUGSOD (Firmware Upgrade Grey Screen of Death)? I haven't had a chance to call them again since this morning when they claimed it was Manhattan-wide. It's been a long time.
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #41
davidtieman

Arrow Same problem with Cox cable

Mine worked for about 6 hours after the cable guy left. then i got the message at around 5:00pm it was till running at 7:00. I called tivo and they said to let it set for awhile longer. It was still runing in the morning. I called cox and they said to reset the tivo. I reset but it still says upgrading the cable card. I will wait a couple more hours now that i reset it then i guess i can call cox back. Very frustrating.... I have owned tivo's since they started and this is by far the most frustrating problem i yet had with one. Still have not even seen a tv show on it yet...
davidtieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #42
nicwolff

My cablecards are (almost) working again

I had popped the cards out of the TiVo so that I could at least use the antenna. On hearing that it was a Time-Warner problem that might have been fixed, I restarted Guided Setup this morning and reinstalled the cards, and they both successfully updated their firmware, and I'm getting most cable channels - but not my premium channels. Although, strangely, I am getting HBO HD and Showtime HD.

Both cards have "Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth" in their CP screens, so maybe they'll get that shortly... or maybe I should call TWC for a hit.
nicwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #43
tboydsto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore
Anybody encounter this when installing the cable cards?

It's been "upgrading" for 1/2 hour now....
This happened to my Mitsubishi TV's CableCard. Ended up that the card was fried. I had a Scientific Atlanta card, if that makes a difference.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 AM   #44
DJ Trey

Big Grin CableCARD Solution - Worth a Try

TW Cable in Manhattan did release a stupifying upgrade across the city a few days ago. It also rendered my CableCARD inoperable with the same 'upgrade' message stuck on the screen that others in this post have described. My cableCARD is not in a Series 3 (it is inserted directly into my television), but I figure this message might help others like me who were drawn to this forum by googling the error message like I did.

Many of us have plasmas/LCD's that are not equipped with the latest batch of software for 100% CableCARD compatability. My television, a Panasonic Plasma, was purchased in Fall 2005 but has had several firmware updates since then. (Until I researched this issue, I didn't even know that our newfangled HDTV's could receive firmware updates). It turns out that if our televisions don't have the latest "operating system" if you will, the CableCARD update will not complete. I know that it seems illogical that our television's operating system could cause the CableCARD upgrade to hang, but work with me for a minute.

Using the link below, I was able to download the latest Panasonic plasma software to a memory card (formatted per the instructions). I turned the tv on, put the memory card in, watched it do its magic, did the old off-on trick, reinserted the CableCARD and then the blue CableCARD firmware update screen returned -- to my horror.

But, a short time later, the dreaded blue screen CableCARD upgrade actually finished and the message disappeared for good!

So, in short, if you have a Panasonic plasma, you must try this solution. And, as a betting man, I'm thinking that some of the other pre-2006 HDTV's out there probably also have downloadable upgrades that will solve some of the problems, especially Samsung. Even if this doesn't work for all TIVO HD owners, I hope you'll find it interesting that, at least this time, TW Cable isn't completely at fault.

As a new poster to this forum, I am unable to paste the URL into this reply. I am trying to write around the restriction, so I trust you can interpret the address below. The address is: (3w's) dot pasctraining dot panasonic dot (abbreviation for company)(slash)
SpecialApplications(slash)ProductFirmwareDownloads(slash)Fir mware(slash)PDP(slash)PX50(slash)PX50_Installation_Guide.pdf
DJ Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #45
boblip11

I have had a cablecard in my Sharp LCD for 18 months now.

This weekend I powered down the media center to pull out the SA Comcast DVR and put in the S3. They are coming out on Wednesday to install the 2 new cablecards. When I repowered the TV, the cablecard would not work.

I called Comcast and they sent out a tech the next day. He brought a new cablecard with an 8/15/2006 date (Sci-Atl). As soon as he put it in the TV I got the firmwawre upgrade screen. It took 7 minutes to complete.

It then took over an hour to get the cablecard to authorize and work. In the end, the problem was traced to the new entries for the two new cablecards...the order entry side had screwed up the provisioning of the old card when entering the order for the new cards.

Unfortunately the tech only brought one new card. I had been hoping that he could do the S3 install on the same trip. The tech was the same one who installed the first cable card 18 months ago....He was great. I asked him to try to get the install on Wednesday assigned to him.

2 more days to go.
boblip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #46
Necro

Ah cableco reps... I had the same kind of thing happen to me. She took down the numbers...then called the tech back and said the numbers were wrong. She got the right numbers and asked if that was all, (no package changes)...

Cards started worked after about 15 minutes and a TiVo reboot (that second card just wouldn't go until we rebooted).

After the cable guy left, I noticed I was missing channels. Not surprising. Called the cable co and she sent another update. I could see the cards were getting more progression numbers. About a minute later, there were my channels (except one: Falcons Vision, which I could care less about).
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #47
eisenb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwolff
I had popped the cards out of the TiVo so that I could at least use the antenna. On hearing that it was a Time-Warner problem that might have been fixed, I restarted Guided Setup this morning and reinstalled the cards, and they both successfully updated their firmware, and I'm getting most cable channels - but not my premium channels. Although, strangely, I am getting HBO HD and Showtime HD.

Both cards have "Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth" in their CP screens, so maybe they'll get that shortly... or maybe I should call TWC for a hit.
Interesting. I'm a TWC customer in CA. I didn't get the firmware upgrade but I'm having the same problem as you.

I get channels 1-114, HBO HD, Showtime HD and some spotty channels here and there.

I don't get all the rest of the Showtime and HBO channels or other channels like G4, etc...

I wonder if TWC has some common problem that affects the digital channels?
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote